PDA

View Full Version : My trip to Wrigley tonight

MARTINMVP
08-12-2009, 12:58 AM
I posted recently how I have slowly changed over to the Southside, primarily because I really had lost interest in baseball and sports these last few years. Since I began watching Sox games, my interest in baseball has been compltely rejuvenated.

Anyways, I was invited to a Cubs game tonight, and the tickets were excellent. I wasn't doing anything so I figured I would take up the offer and have a good night out. I felt absolutely no connection to that Cubs team, and as a matter of fact, as the night grew, I started to feel a bit of angst and maybe some hate. The ballpark really does suck. It's not just a "Sox fan picking on the Cubs park" type of thing. Just because Wrigely is old and is in a cool area (I will not deny the surrounding area is neat) does not make the ballpark epic, in my opinion. It is a dump and is not something worth celebrating. The Cell is a very cool ballpark and I am proud to think of it the home of my favorite baseball team.

Funny story. The seats we had were three rows behind the visitor's dugout. The entrance and exit isle from my area and into the concourse/indoor walk-way area went down to a strange incident... a flood. I'm not sure what the heck it was, I assumed it was beer. But it was like flooded with liquid and after I walked out during the middle of the game to hit the rest room, they closed the section and would not let anyone walk there for a while. Again, not sure if it was beer or what the heck, but it was a HUGE, HUGE spill. It couldn't possibly had come from someone taking a leak because there was way too much there. What the heck was this big pile that I did my very best to not walk in, just seconds before they closed the isle?

Last but not least... to not piss off my fiance's grandfather who had the tickets, I didn't instigate by wearing a Sox hat... I wore the red U.S. baseball classic cap, which is funny because my fiance was convinced that the red hat was somehow related to the Philies.

soxyess
08-12-2009, 09:24 AM
I get bothered when Cub fans show up to our ballpark and wear Cub gear when we aren't playing the Cubs. Cub fans constantly complain about U.S Cellular Field, but yet they still show up at our games. I dont understand this. I dont like the Cubs or Wrigley, so I dont go to their games.

cws05champ
08-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I was listening to the Score this morning and they were saying that Milton Bradley was flipping the bird to the Cub fans several times last night. I don't think this was reported anywhere after the game.

cards press box
08-12-2009, 09:44 AM
A long time ago, I would go to Wrigley to see certain visiting National League teams. In the last decade, however, I stopped because Wrigley just became too much of a hassle. The crumbling infrastructure, the annoying fans, the inconvenience of getting to and from the park, the small and crowded aisles, the lack of an actual concourse -- it is all aggravation, all the time. I haven't gone this year and I doubt that I will, unless the Cubs drop out of the race and only Sox fans are interested in the 9/3 makeup game with the Sox. I might make an exception for that game.

MARTINMVP
08-12-2009, 10:03 AM
I didn't see Bradley doing it, unless it happened during extra innings (the group I was with... all Cub fans... wanted to leave after the 9th inning so they could get out early... makes no sense, but whatever!). At least in the first 9 innings, fans had all the reason to cheer him cause he played well last night between his double that brought in a run and two great catches in right.

WizardsofOzzie
08-12-2009, 10:11 AM
I didn't see Bradley doing it, unless it happened during extra innings (the group I was with... all Cub fans... wanted to leave after the 9th inning so they could get out early... makes no sense, but whatever!). At least in the first 9 innings, fans had all the reason to cheer him cause he played well last night between his double that brought in a run and two great catches in right.
So they had just witnessed the Cubs comeback to tie it in the bottom of the 9th inning, and then wanted to leave as the game went into extras??? Yeah, that sounds about right...

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-12-2009, 10:13 AM
So they had just witnessed the Cubs comeback to tie it in the bottom of the 9th inning, and then wanted to leave as the game went into extras??? Yeah, that sounds about right...

I was going back and forth on TV - I thought it was odd there were alot of empty seats for an extra inning game, considering those seats were full through the 5th inning as Harden was perfect.

Notice, I said WAS. :D:

stacksedwards
08-12-2009, 10:25 AM
I get bothered when Cub fans show up to our ballpark and wear Cub gear when we aren't playing the Cubs. Cub fans constantly complain about U.S Cellular Field, but yet they still show up at our games. I dont understand this. I dont like the Cubs or Wrigley, so I dont go to their games.
Let them wear what they want. Drink all the beer they want. Eat all the food they want. Whenever I see a Cubs fan in our park I say thank you. If 100,00 of them come through the turn every year they just helpled give Kenny the ability to go out and get... I dont know maybe a former Cy Young winner and a stud CF.

hi im skot
08-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I was going back and forth on TV - I thought it was odd there were alot of empty seats for an extra inning game, considering those seats were full through the 5th inning as Harden was perfect.

Notice, I said WAS. :D:

I was walking back from the YMCA on Irving Park last night around 9:30-9:45 and saw at least ten people dressed from head to toe in Cubs gear. This was a good 45 minutes or so AFTER the Cubs tied the game in the 9th. Maybe they had to jump on the Metra...? Or, maybe they weren't interested in an exciting extra innings battle.

PatK
08-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Let them wear what they want. Drink all the beer they want. Eat all the food they want. Whenever I see a Cubs fan in our park I say thank you. If 100,00 of them come through the turn every year they just helpled give Kenny the ability to go out and get... I dont know maybe a former Cy Young winner and a stud CF.

Unfortunately, when Cubs fans are by me at Sox games, they are usually decked out in their Cubs gear acting like asshats, yelling stuff like "Sox suck" and "Cubs baby", or go crazy every time the scoreboard updates and the Cubs have scored.

Then they get mad when people start giving them crap.

Just sit down, shut up, and watch the game.

kittle42
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
I hate, hate, hate defending Cubs fans, but all the things you guys listed here can also be witnessed at Sox games. No one leaves the Cell early, even during a tie game? Please. No Sox fans in Sox gear at Wrigley? Yes, generally fewer because of sheer numbers issues in fandom, but look a little harder - they're there.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2009, 11:15 AM
A long time ago, I would go to Wrigley to see certain visiting National League teams. In the last decade, however, I stopped because Wrigley just became too much of a hassle. The crumbling infrastructure, the annoying fans, the inconvenience of getting to and from the park, the small and crowded aisles, the lack of an actual concourse -- it is all aggravation, all the time. I haven't gone this year and I doubt that I will, unless the Cubs drop out of the race and only Sox fans are interested in the 9/3 makeup game with the Sox. I might make an exception for that game.
It is truly a difficult ballpark to get to and from if you're not living in the city. It IS a huge inconvenience to get to. I have NO idea why it got an A+ in the accessability department in this ballpark ranking I read recently. Wrigley Field is a ****hole that is extremely hard to get to. I'd give it an F-.

Ron Karkovice
08-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I hate, hate, hate defending Cubs fans, but all the things you guys listed here can also be witnessed at Sox games. No one leaves the Cell early, even during a tie game? Please. No Sox fans in Sox gear at Wrigley? Yes, generally fewer because of sheer numbers issues in fandom, but look a little harder - they're there.

Each team has its own share of dumbass/******* fans... I'll say that the Cubs only have more because they have a way larger fanbase...

kittle42
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
It is truly a difficult ballpark to get to and from if you're not living in the city. It IS a huge inconvenience to get to. I have NO idea why it got an A+ in the accessability department in this ballpark ranking I read recently. Wrigley Field is a ****hole that is extremely hard to get to. I'd give it an F-.

If someone lives in the 'burbs, they deserve inaccessibility! :D:

twentywontowin
08-12-2009, 11:51 AM
One reason why I could see people leaving an extra innings night game early is because of some of the suburban trains stop running service after a certain time. I'd want to get out of there before the rush to ensure I'm going to make it home.

Always been a concern of mine when I go to a night game.

Ron Karkovice
08-12-2009, 11:54 AM
One reason why I could see people leaving an extra innings night game early is because of some of the suburban trains stop running service after a certain time. I'd want to get out of there before the rush to ensure I'm going to make it home.

Whenever you post I picture the dude in your signature is who you actually are...

twentywontowin
08-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Whenever you post I picture the dude in your signature is who you actually are...

You're not too far off.

The Critic
08-12-2009, 12:00 PM

I have to leave night games early because of my work hours.
If I don't burn a vacation day the next day, I have to choose between leaving early or getting 2 to 3 hours' sleep.
And if I chose to go to a day game, I'd get to the park in the 2nd or 3rd inning, so I'd be a bad fan either way. With night games, I can get there really early and enjoy more of the ballpark experience.

MARTINMVP
08-12-2009, 01:03 PM

I have no clue why they left early. My fiance's grandfather owns his company and my future father-in-law works for him, so they can go to work the next day anytime they please. The grandfather is the biggest Cubs fan I know. He's one of those grumpy people who are very serious but become exited and happy when at a Cubs game, when they're winning. No clue why they would leave. I didn't care. I wasn't really rooting for the Cubs and I do have a job where I do have to be in the next morning at 7:30. If I'm going to be miserable the next day after only a few hours sleep, I'd be able to better justify it after a night at the Cell, which I will be attending next Tuesday night (and thus, I call it my royal cleansing after last night... and they do play the Royals that night).

Again, my fiance kind of has me by the balls on anything that surrounds her family. Crap all over me for going to the game, knowing I couldn't wear my Sox hat. They were good tickets, but now that I thought about it, I probably should not have gone. At one point, there was something that sounded like a gun shot, just as Carlos Marmol walked another batter. Someone behind me shouted "they are shooting Marmol for sucking." It was a funny line, and I continued to laugh afterwards, not because of the line, but because I was thinking of something a poster wrote here some time ago... about how if Wrigely were to burn down, he could never stop laughing. I picture Cartman laughing at the midget guy on South Park.

kittle42
08-12-2009, 01:13 PM
Again, my fiance kind of has me by the balls on anything that surrounds her family. Crap all over me for going to the game, knowing I couldn't wear my Sox hat. They were good tickets, but now that I thought about it, I probably should not have gone.

Hey, it's still baseball (well, at least in terms of the Phillies). I don't think you should get any crap for going.

MARTINMVP
08-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Hey, it's still baseball (well, at least in terms of the Phillies). I don't think you should get any crap for going.

During work yesterday, I had some reservations about going, after having said yes, only because I felt like I could not talk about me liking the Sox or wear my Sox hat. I didn't want to go and be a d-bag Sox fan sitting in a Cubs stadium, but knowing that I couldn't bring up anything about the White Sox because it pisses off my fiance's grandfather stirred me the wrong way. I've known him for five years and generally get along with him, but he's one of those guys who is right about everything. Politics, sports, etc. -- it's a lot easier to nod your head yes and never argue with him because it will get ugly.

I felt like I was selling out a bit.

kittle42
08-12-2009, 03:25 PM
During work yesterday, I had some reservations about going, after having said yes, only because I felt like I could not talk about me liking the Sox or wear my Sox hat. I didn't want to go and be a d-bag Sox fan sitting in a Cubs stadium, but knowing that I couldn't bring up anything about the White Sox because it pisses off my fiance's grandfather stirred me the wrong way. I've known him for five years and generally get along with him, but he's one of those guys who is right about everything. Politics, sports, etc. -- it's a lot easier to nod your head yes and never argue with him because it will get ugly.

I felt like I was selling out a bit.

Well, that has nothing to do with being at a Cubs game and everything to do with your fiancee's grandfather.

I'd have worn the Sox hat, because that's the way I am.

chisoxfanatic
08-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, that has nothing to do with being at a Cubs game and everything to do with your fiancee's grandfather.

I'd have worn the Sox hat, because that's the way I am.
Not only would I have worn a Sox hat, but I would have worn my Albert Pujols shirt...**** it, why the hell would I be in Wrigley anyways???

Thatguyoverthere
08-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Not only would I have worn a Sox hat, but I would have worn my Albert Pujols shirt...**** it, why the hell would I be in Wrigley anyways???I went to a Cubs/Cards game this year because my friend from St. Louis got tickets 7 rows behind home plate at Wrigley and I'm not going to turn that down. I borrowed a Pujols shirt from him. It was great getting all the ribbing from Cub fans who couldn't believe Cardinal fans got such great seats at Wrigley.

Unfortunately the Cubs won on a walk-off HR, and on the way out of the stadium some jackass yelled "Have a great trip back to your piece of **** city". I thought that was hilarious considering the idiot had no idea that my city was Chicago. Of course, on the way back home on the train, some drunk Cub fan was trying to pick a fight with my friend and was on the verge of throwing punches before his buddies stepped in.

Lorenzo Barcelo
08-12-2009, 10:07 PM
This doesn't deserve its own thread, but did anyone see the cub fan throw a beer at Victorino on Fox's fly ball? Ridiculous.

chisoxjtrain
08-12-2009, 10:09 PM
This doesn't deserve its own thread, but did anyone see the cub fan throw a beer at Victorino on Fox's fly ball? Ridiculous.

Just saw that. What an asshat.

SaltyPretzel
08-12-2009, 10:10 PM

On the replay, it was obvious that security threw out the wrong guy.

"That's not what Cubs fans are all about" :rolleyes:

Woofer
08-12-2009, 10:18 PM
On the replay, it was obvious that security threw out the wrong guy.

"That's not what Cubs fans are all about" :rolleyes:

I turned on the game expecting to see something like that. Sorry Bob Brenley, recent history disproves your statement, that IS what Cub fans are all about.