PDA

View Full Version : Rios vs Rowand

Stoky44
08-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry to bring this up, I just wonder what people think. I am sure this will get Roadhoused. I think it is a good question.

What would have been better for the White Sox Aaron Rowand or Alex Rios. Granted I know Rowand was not available now, but with 20/20 hind sight should we have given Rowand the contract he got from the Giants? And no I am not a Rowand lover, I thought it was a good trade for us and at the time Rowand signed with the Giants I thought it was too much money for the sox to tie up in him. I thought it was the right move then not to sign him. But now I look at Rios' numbers and they are very similar. Rios younger with more SB and more years hence more money in contract (about the same per year). Rowand more power and 4 yrs older.

roylestillman
08-11-2009, 09:17 AM
Is this the right thread to talk about Rios vs. Anderson?

08-11-2009, 09:21 AM
Rios has more speed & power than Rowand and is far superior in CF. Add in the fact that Rios is 4 years younger and the answer becomes very simple.

hi im skot
08-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I prefer the Legend of Aaron Rowand to both.

Stoky44
08-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Rios has more speed & power than Rowand and is far superior in CF. Add in the fact that Rios is 4 years younger and the answer becomes very simple.

Not stating I would have chosen Rowand... but correcting the facts. Rowand, by the stats, and Rios have about the same power. Rowand moreHR per AB and Rios more 2B per AB.
Rowand: AB1101 HR 115 2B 231
Rios: AB809 HR 81 2B 195

Correct Rios more speed and younger. I am not qualified to comment on Rios D. I would say Rowand did get over rated in the field. LEss money would be committed to Rowand though.

08-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Not stating I would have chosen Rowand... but correcting the facts. Rowand, by the stats, and Rios have about the same power. Rowand moreHR per AB and Rios more 2B per AB.

Correct Rios more speed and younger. I am not qualified to comment on Rios D. I would say Rowand did get over rated in the field. LEss money would be committed to Rowand though.

If you're still asking, the answer is Rios.

Martinigirl
08-11-2009, 10:12 AM
Honestly, my reaction to this thread is "let it gooooooo." He is gone, he is not coming back and life doesn't give do overs.

Rios is better for this current team and the team going forward than Aaron Rowand, no matter how illustrious his past may seem- in hindsight.

SoxGirl4Life
08-11-2009, 10:31 AM
What the hell? Are we REALLY having this conversation? :gah:

hawkjt
08-11-2009, 10:42 AM
Just looked at Rowands recent numbers...last 28 games he is 20 of 94 with 12 rbis...around .220

For the year he is hitting .275 and on track for 13 hrs 66 rbis.
Ok, but he seems to be falling off...last year started the downward trend.

Eddo144
08-11-2009, 10:50 AM
Rios is better defensively. Rowand made a lot of good plays look great due to some limited range.

KenBerryGrab
08-11-2009, 10:50 AM
And he tweaked his hammy. Rowand's body, with those thick legs, is not one that will age well, and he'll be out of center soon.

soxfanreggie
08-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Right now, I'd rather have Rios. I greatly appreciate what Aaron did here; I think we all do. However, I think we can be done with the comparisons of a guy who hasn't been here for a while. We made a move-sometimes moves work out, sometimes they don't.

DumpJerry
08-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Rios younger with more SB and more years hence more money in contract (about the same per year). Rowand more power and 4 yrs older.
I think you answered your own question.

"Rowand" is actually an Old English word which meant "highly overrated."

slavko
08-11-2009, 11:33 AM
I think you answered your own question.

Thanks for asking, but it's actually an OE word meaning rower or sailor. Usually spelled Rowend.

Martinigirl
08-11-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks for asking, but it's actually an OE word meaning rower or sailor. Usually spelled Rowend.

As in "that ship has sailed"?

slavko
08-11-2009, 12:08 PM

:D:Bingo! (and so it has, time to get over AR.)

tebman
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM

:rolling:

Rocky Soprano
08-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Best. Post. Ever.

Well, at least post of the week!!!

DumpJerry
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
Sailed. Arrived at the destination post. Unloaded. Took Shore Leave. Quit the Merchant Marine for a land-based job. Got married. Had kids. Retired.

Yeah, that interpretation!

getonbckthr
08-11-2009, 01:28 PM

Just throwing this out there, I may be wrong, but I would say Comiskey and the ballpark in Philly are definately more homer friendly than Skydome.

DumpJerry
08-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Just throwing this out there, I may be wrong, but I would say Comiskey and the ballpark in Philly are definately more homer friendly than Skydome.
Ummm.....Comiskey is more homer friendly than the diamond at my local park for Eight Year Old Little League.

Stoky44
08-11-2009, 01:33 PM
So I take it that this board can never talk about players they have not resigned or did not get via trade. There should never be talk over Swisher, GIo, DLS, Javy, Garland, etc ever on this board then.Or is it just the fact that its Rowand? I guess I should have included Tori Hunter in this discussion because he was in the mix too. People always say you can't judge a trade right away but look at it in a few years. Just looking back to the free agent CFs 2 years ago and now filling that position. I thought it would be interesting to look back with hind site if we made the best deal. I think we did, but I am not so sure it so clear cut. Rios is a great talent, very happy to have him, but we do have him signed for a lot of $ for many years. Who cares if Tori and Aaron are older if (I know big if) they still can produce, you know. Thats all I was trying to do. This was by no means bring back Rowand thread, or the Sox really messed up by not signing him. I think Rios overall was the way to go, but definetly think there could be debate over the topic. I was just trying to evaluate the CF position now that it appears we finally filled the hole.

Stoky44
08-11-2009, 01:35 PM

Good point. That's why I looked at doubles too, to try to even it out a bit. You need to hit the ball a ton at the Rodger Centre compared to USCF or Philly.

TheVulture
08-11-2009, 07:53 PM
I think its a good question, just because their salaries are similar. I think the Sox will be paying fair value for Rios, personally. If the Sox were to sign a FA CFer, they'd be hard pressed to get a better CFer for less, as Rowand's contract clearly demonstrates. The other option is homegrown. Danks or Mitchell won't be ready for a year or two, if they ever are. If they earn a starting job, there should still be room for them and need for a vet like Rios.

asindc
08-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Sorry to bring this up, I just wonder what people think. I am sure this will get Roadhoused. I think it is a good question.

What would have been better for the White Sox Aaron Rowand or Alex Rios. Granted I know Rowand was not available now, but with 20/20 hind sight should we have given Rowand the contract he got from the Giants? And no I am not a Rowand lover, I thought it was a good trade for us and at the time Rowand signed with the Giants I thought it was too much money for the sox to tie up in him. I thought it was the right move then not to sign him. But now I look at Rios' numbers and they are very similar. Rios younger with more SB and more years hence more money in contract (about the same per year). Rowand more power and 4 yrs older.

You just couldn't resist, could you?:o:

Daver
08-11-2009, 08:38 PM

You should be embarassed.

Stoky44
08-11-2009, 09:58 PM
You should be embarassed.

Nope. I am pretty happy with the post and debate/question.

Daver
08-11-2009, 10:03 PM

So you have low expectations and are easily amused?

Brian26
08-11-2009, 10:05 PM

Rios' numbers are down a little this year, but that's where the comparison ends. He's younger than Rowand, plays a better CF, has more speed on the basepaths, and is a better at the dish. He's a much better all-around player than Rowand.

Stoky44
08-11-2009, 10:08 PM
So you have low expectations and are easily amused?

I am going to stop going back and forth with you because you will ultimatly get the last word. Let the record show you attacked me first. If I were to make these types of comments about you or anyone else I would be "taking some time off". So its a lose lose.

To answer your question: No. However, my expectations of your posts sure have.

Daver
08-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I am going to stop going back and forth with you because you will ultimatly get the last word. Let the record show you attacked me first. If I were to make these types of comments about you or anyone else I would be "taking some time off". So its a lose lose.

To answer your question: No. However, my expectations of your posts sure have.

I don't ban people for disagreeing with me, I'm sure you won't beleive that, but it is true, and there was no attack made here, just an observation.

soxfanreggie
08-11-2009, 10:36 PM
Daver isn't like that. He won't ban you for disagreeing with him or even busting his chops on something. I have disagreed with many things he's said (and many posters on here), just as I know posters have with me. I still respect what he does for this board though and can take a little chops busting in stride.

Stoky44
08-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I don't ban people for disagreeing with me, I'm sure you won't beleive that, but it is true, and there was no attack made here, just an observation.

Okay my apologies. I took it as more of an attack. I guess a little sort fused tonight. I just question why people think its so cut and dry. Is it being tired of the Rowand love here, which I too think is annoying. I just thought they have very similar numbers and thought it was worth looking at. Thats all, I would expect that the majority would rather have Rios, I am one of them. I was shocked looking at the numbers of out current and last relevant CF.

To break down the numbers a bit more:
Aaron is 3.5years older than Rios.
Age at the end of current deals: 35yrs 1mo signed through 2012 (5yrs 60Mil)
Career #'s: Avg .282; OBP: .341; OPS: .793 SLG: .452; AB: 3570; 2b: 231; HR: 115; RBI: 462; BB: 227; SO: 718; SB: 60

Rios:
Age at end of current deal: 33yrs 8mo (club option 34yrs 8mo) signed through 2014 (7 yrs 69.835Mil) 1 Mil buy out or 13.5Mil for '15
Career #'s: Avg .285; OBP: .335; OPS: .786 SLG: .451; AB: 3071; 2b: 195; HR: 81; RBI: 395; BB: 224; SO: 567; SB: 112

I think their numbers look pretty similar, except for SB. I will give you Rios is a better on the bases and will take people's word that he is a better fielder. But when its all said and done at the end of the deals Rios will be 19 months younger. Both will be making the same money in 2011 and 2012.
I agree Rios right now is the better deal. Let the record show I was the first poster to call it that we signed Rios in the speculation thread. Not that it means all that much. But I was as excited as anyone about getting Rios. I am just wondering with hind sight being 20/20, would the Sox have been better off with Rowand's contract and have had a proven CF for the last 2yrs. But, thats a hard debate because the 8Mil payed to Rowand over last year and this year may have put a damper on signing Dotel and/or Linebrink. We would have to get 8Mil off the books some how. But who is to say that the budget would have been the same having Rowand on the team. How is this not even a debate with people? Numbers are almost the same.

munchman33
08-11-2009, 11:25 PM
:popcorn:When does the Rios vs what Brian Anderson was meant to be but Ozzie never allowed for debate start?

DumpJerry
08-12-2009, 12:19 AM
:popcorn:When does the Rios vs what Brian Anderson was meant to be but Ozzie never allowed for debate start?
Puhlese. That is like a debate over which is better to drive on a cross-country trip: a car or a rock? There is no comparison or debate.

Brewski
08-12-2009, 12:36 AM

That would be a debate it would be hard to beat. Unlike a dead horse which can always be beaten. Both good clean fun.