PDA

View Full Version : Who is gone next year: Thome or Dye?

Whitesoxfan23
08-10-2009, 07:23 PM
I am going to say Dye, because Thome may come cheaper, and we need a left hand bat.

DumpJerry
08-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Castro.:tongue:

Rockabilly
08-10-2009, 07:25 PM
I rather keep Thome for next year because he's a left handed power hitter.

Whitesoxfan23
08-10-2009, 07:25 PM

That's what I'm saying. I agree.

thomas35forever
08-10-2009, 07:28 PM
It sure doesn't look like Thome has lost a step, but if Dye really wants to come back here, I want him instead. I can see a 2010 outfield of Podsednik (or Figgins)-Rios-Quentin with Dye as the DH.

Rockabilly
08-10-2009, 07:30 PM
It sure doesn't look like Thome has lost a step, but if Dye really wants to come back here, I want him instead. I can see a 2010 outfield of Podsednik (or Figgins)-Rios-Quentin with Dye as the DH.

who would be your LH power hitter?

bigdommer
08-10-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't think Thome will be back because they would have to offer arbitration. So, by default, I will say dye stays.

rocky biddle
08-10-2009, 07:33 PM

Carl Everett.

Thank you. I'll be here all of the week.

thomas35forever
08-10-2009, 07:33 PM
I'll risk not having one next year with the power we already have. AJ perhaps?

bigdommer
08-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Carl Everett.

Thank you. I'll be here all of the week.

Careful Rocky, KW just might trade for him.

Chicken Dinner
08-10-2009, 07:40 PM
DeWayne! :D:

Zisk77
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM

Its nice to LH power but its not essential. still have A. J.

TDog
08-10-2009, 08:04 PM

Who was the left-handed power hitter before the White Sox acquired Jim Thome for Aaron Rowand, Gio Gonzalez and Daniel Haigwood after the White Sox won the World Series?

Perhaps the question is rhetorical. Perhaps I just like ending questions with "after the White Sox won the World Series."

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-10-2009, 08:12 PM
The Sox will get more offensive production from Dye than Thome. And he's a few years younger.

eastchicagosoxfan
08-10-2009, 08:17 PM
Both could be gone. I'm sure there's a more versatile left-handed bat out there than Thome's, and Dye could be moved out to create a Pods, Rios, Quentin outfield. There's a lot of injury risk there, to be certain.

jsg-07
08-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Both could be gone. I'm sure there's a more versatile left-handed bat out there than Thome's, and Dye could be moved out to create a Pods, Rios, Quentin outfield. There's a lot of injury risk there, to be certain.

I think that is why you have to bring back Dye. He could DH and be an insurance policy in RF for TCQ...

Then you can re-sign Pods as a 4th OF / DH, with Figgins in LF

StillMissOzzie
08-10-2009, 08:26 PM
This poll sucks because you could have reasonably included "Both" and "Neither" and collected votes for both options.
I think a lot will depend on what kind of $ Thome wants, especially since the Sox will be off the Philly gravy train after 2009. It will also depend on whether JD thinks he can patrol RF any more, or is willing to sign on as the right-handed DH.
Since the Sox already have a potential right-handed DH under contract next year in Konerko, I will vote that JD will be gone.

And he will earn a substantial tribute thread here if it happens.

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
08-10-2009, 08:28 PM
I think that is why you have to bring back Dye. He could DH and be an insurance policy in RF for TCQ...

Then you can re-sign Pods as a 4th OF / DH, with Figgins in LF

I think the Peavy and Rios acquisitions make acquiring Figgins in the offseason extremely unlikely.

Noneck
08-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I say both will be gone. The Sox just spent a lot of money on Rios and Peavy. They will lose Dotel, Linebrink is washed up, they need a 5th starter and probably a leadoff man. Jenks will cost more, Danks might finally be convinced to sign a Floyd like contract and Beckham might be tempted with a Longoria type contract. Someone convinced the chairman you have to spend a dime in order to make a quarter but I doubt they will be able to convince him to spend a quarter in order to make a half buck.

jsg-07
08-10-2009, 08:49 PM
I think the Peavy and Rios acquisitions make acquiring Figgins in the offseason extremely unlikely.

A pipe dream I know. Then again, I never thought we'd end the season with Jake Peavy in our rotation and Alex Rios in our OF.

Who knows, if we can make the playoffs again this year and field a team like that next year, I have to believe they are going to be selling a ton of tickets. Perhaps payroll will go back up to over $100 mil again..

jsg-07
08-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I say both will be gone. The Sox just spent a lot of money on Rios and Peavy. They will lose Dotel, Linebrink is washed up, they need a 5th starter and probably a leadoff man. Jenks will cost more, Danks might finally be convinced to sign a Floyd like contract and Beckham might be tempted with a Longoria type contract. Someone convinced the chairman you have to spend a dime in order to make a quarter but I doubt they will be able to convince him to spend a quarter in order to make a half buck.

After picking up Peavy and Rios, can we please stop calling Jerry cheap?

If it gives us a good chance to win consistently, they will sell tickets. I think the fiscal responsibility of JR and KW is what allowed them to pick up two big contracts now.

Also, it was just last season we had a payroll of over $120 mil.. If the economy starts picking up and we start winning, is it really impossible to think the Sox may be there again?

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-10-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm going to go with Dye, simply because he is going to cost much more than Thome. Thome could resign for a lot less than what he's at now, and I don't think Dye will. Other teams will offer Dye a lot more than what we will, IMO.

russ99
08-10-2009, 09:33 PM

I don't. See other threads.

The Gist:

This year's salary prior to deadline trade: $85M

+ Peavy and Rios (next year's numbers) = $111M

- Thome, Contreras, Dotel, what we owe on MacDougal = $80M

+ avoid arb with Jenks, Danks & Quentin (an inflated $5M addition each) = $95M

+ Dye's option = $95.5M (subtract 3-ish, if he signs a 2-year deal for less)

If Figgins can be signed for less than $10M a season (due to injury concers, economy), I think Kenny would do it.

Britt Burns
08-10-2009, 09:54 PM
I want Thome back next year. We need a big lefty bat, and AJ isn't it.

gobears1987
08-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Thome's inability to play every day when he is just a DH means Dye has to be back. Dye has played more games than Thome (who needs constant rest or else his back acts up) and he plays the field. Who cares about the righty-lefty issue. Dye is younger, more likely to produce next year, and can play the field.

soxinem1
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
The Sox will not risk having to pay Thome even 80% of the $12-13 million he makes this year to be a platoon DH. Nothing against Big Jim, but $$$$ and the obvious fact he cannot hit LHP anymore will lead them to part ways with him.

Dye has an option next year that is manageable and he is still productive.

Some posters have stated that Konerko can DH, but he is an excellent 1B, why would he DH full-time? But I can see him getting traded before next year.

I can also see KW going after Adrian Beltre for 3B and moving Bacon to SS.

Not sure if Figgins will be coming here, but I'm sure our GM will make a play for him.

southside rocks
08-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Some posters have stated that Konerko can DH, but he is an excellent 1B, why would he DH full-time?

A good part of Paulie's value to the team is his ability to play 1B. He's actually quite good at that position -- certainly can pick 'em.

Whenever I think about PK being the DH, I think about the slumps he goes into that sometimes last for MONTHS.

It would be insane to put him into the lineup as a DH, and I think that Ozzie is not that brand of insane.

doublem23
08-10-2009, 11:01 PM

Left-handed power is nice, but I wouldn't downgrade just to get it.

Plus, you never know what aces KW has up his sleeves.

CPditka
08-10-2009, 11:06 PM
What about neither. I hate to say it as both are fantastic players.

Id imagine he uses the little money thats left for a different FA....need to look at a FA list to see if theres a lefty out there that makes sense. If not Id assume JD comes back due to age and doubling as a 4th OF.

TDog
08-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I don't. See other threads.

The Gist:

This year's salary prior to deadline trade: $85M

+ Peavy and Rios (next year's numbers) = $111M

- Thome, Contreras, Dotel, what we owe on MacDougal = $80M

+ avoid arb with Jenks, Danks & Quentin (an inflated $5M addition each) = $95M

+ Dye's option = $95.5M (subtract 3-ish, if he signs a 2-year deal for less)

If Figgins can be signed for less than $10M a season (due to injury concers, economy), I think Kenny would do it.

I have no doubt that if the White Sox don't sign Figgins, people will be angry with Kenny Williams.

Daver
08-10-2009, 11:23 PM
The Sox will not risk having to pay Thome even 80% of the $12-13 million he makes this year to be a platoon DH. Nothing against Big Jim, but $$$$ and the obvious fact he cannot hit LHP anymore will lead them to part ways with him.

If an agreement is made before the end of the season it need not be within 80%, that number only kicks in if he is offered arbitration.

The Immigrant
08-10-2009, 11:42 PM
Someone convinced the chairman you have to spend a dime in order to make a quarter but I doubt they will be able to convince him to spend a quarter in order to make a half buck.

Not this **** again.

jabrch
08-10-2009, 11:44 PM
Why does one have to go?

Can't Rios play CF?

jabrch
08-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Nothing against Big Jim, but $$$$ and the obvious fact he cannot hit LHP anymore will lead them to part ways with him.

.250/.367/.513

Can't hit LHP?

Noneck
08-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Not this **** again.
Read my whole post, don't just cherry pick it.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Why does one have to go?

Can't Rios play CF?

Mostly for $ reasons. One of them needs to go to make room for the contracts of Peavy and Rios. And we still need a leadoff hitter. Pods is the only option right now and he makes most sense in LF, with Quentin to RF, and Rios in CF. Dye or Thome would be the DH with that lineup and there is only room for 1 of them.

StillMissOzzie
08-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Some posters have stated that Konerko can DH, but he is an excellent 1B, why would he DH full-time? But I can see him getting traded before next year.

I thought that PK has some sort of no-trade clause, not to mention 10-and-5 protection, so I think he would have to waive his rights to get traded. That's why I am one of those who think that there is a chance that PK is the 2010 DH

If an agreement is made before the end of the season it need not be within 80%, that number only kicks in if he is offered arbitration.

I don't think that anyone believes that Big Jim will be offered arbitration, so the question comes back to how low will he accept to stay here for #600

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
08-11-2009, 01:29 AM
I thought that PK has some sort of no-trade clause, not to mention 10-and-5 protection, so I think he would have to waive his rights to get traded. That's why I am one of those who think that there is a chance that PK is the 2010 DHDye has a mutual $12M option for 2010, but the Sox can buy him out for $1M. His "no-trade" is limited to certain teams, and he hasn't completed his fifth year with the Sox yet, so 10-5 doesn't count yet.

GAsoxfan
08-11-2009, 08:04 AM
What about neither. I hate to say it as both are fantastic players.

Id imagine he uses the little money thats left for a different FA....need to look at a FA list to see if theres a lefty out there that makes sense. If not Id assume JD comes back due to age and doubling as a 4th OF.

How about Bobby Abreu? He's not the slugger Dye is, but his OPS is a little higher. He's a lefty, and he could still serve as the 4th OF.

If the Sox could get Abreu, I think he'd be a great option. If not, I'd keep Dye over Thome, even though it would leave the Sox very right-handed.

g0g0
08-11-2009, 08:27 AM
Castro, Thome and Dye won't return next year.

soxyess
08-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Thome, Dye, Konerko should all be gone next year. They are getting old and they have been brutal since the All-Star game. Get rid of the softball core and bring in baseball players.

ShoelessJoeS
08-11-2009, 09:08 AM
Thome, Dye, Konerko should all be gone next year. They are getting old and they have been brutal since the All-Star game. Get rid of the softball core and bring in baseball players.Konerko still has one year left on his contract for 12m. I don't think he's going anywhere. Plus, with Dye and Thome more than likely leaving, the Sox will need some type of production.

LITTLE NELL
08-11-2009, 09:08 AM
If Dye stays it has to be at DH, it looks sometimes like JD is running in quicksand out there in RF.
Hate to see Thome go but it comes down to age and a little more productivity from JD.

palehozenychicty
08-11-2009, 10:26 AM
I'd keep Dye over Thome, but won't be too disappointed if the big three are all jettisoned. I feel like we just need a new start. Paulie will be here one more year, however, unless the Dbacks give us a crazy package. Dye needs to wake up soon, and with Rios, we should be okay. Thome is still hitting with power, but it's inconsistent. Decisions to make this offseason.

g0g0
08-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Thome, Dye, Konerko should all be gone next year. They are getting old and they have been brutal since the All-Star game. Get rid of the softball core and bring in baseball players.

Konerko is one player I'd like to see finish out his career with us. He's been here 10 years and I don't want to see him get shafted like Thomas did. Let the man retire a Palehoser!

esbrechtel
08-11-2009, 02:49 PM

I think you have made it very clear you despise Thome, Konerko and Dye and all the other sluggers on the team....you dont have to keep repeating yourself....

jreds23
08-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Thome will be back for the LH bat and they will market the hell out of 600 home runs!!!

gobears1987
08-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Thome will be back for the LH bat and they will market the hell out of 600 home runs!!!
If we were a team like the Reds (they did that with Jr.) and that's our only draw sure, but we are a team in the hunt so we need the best 25 players available. Best of luck hitting #600 elsewhere Jim. Besides, a left handed power bat is overrated. I'd rather have JD for his versatility.

35th and Shields
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM

That's assuming he'll get there by next year.

doublem23
08-11-2009, 04:21 PM
That's assuming he'll get there by next year.

Assuming he stays healthy, I'm pretty sure he'd be able to do it at the Cell next year. Since he's joined the Sox, Thome has hit 132 HR in 2106 PA, 582 PA/season. He has 224 left this year, so if he keeps his average, he should hit another 14 HR in 2009, bringing his career total to 576 going into 2010. If Thome is able to stay healthy next year (and he's been remarkably healthy since being a full-time DH for the Sox), he'll need just 24 HR to reach 600, well shy of his average of 36 HR per season since joining the Sox.

If Thome stays, he'll do it, but I have a sneaking suspicion Rios just pushed him out of the picture.

35th and Shields
08-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Assuming he stays healthy, I'm pretty sure he'd be able to do it at the Cell next year. Since he's joined the Sox, Thome has hit 132 HR in 2106 PA, 582 PA/season. He has 224 left this year, so if he keeps his average, he should hit another 14 HR in 2009, bringing his career total to 576 going into 2010. If Thome is able to stay healthy next year (and he's been remarkably healthy since being a full-time DH for the Sox), he'll need just 24 HR to reach 600, well shy of his average of 36 HR per season since joining the Sox.

If Thome stays, he'll do it, but I have a sneaking suspicion Rios just pushed him out of the picture.

I just don't want one of the reasons for Thome to stay be because of his chase of 600. If this was Frank Thomas, yes keep him, but it just seems to me that Kenny is trying to build a much more balanced lineup and I don't see Jim fitting in to that direction as much as Dye.

Just out of curiosity doublem, who would you like to see them keep if it has to be between the two?

Harry Chappas
08-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Let's just ignore the 180 or so RBI that Konerko, Thome, and Dye put up before the break and focus on just the last month because it fits your ridiculous contention better.

sox1970
08-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't think Thome is around next year. Maybe AJ and Flowers split catcher and DH, with Quentin and Konerko getting DH time too. They don't have to have a fulltime DH next year.

doublem23
08-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Just out of curiosity doublem, who would you like to see them keep if it has to be between the two?

Dye. No doubt about it.

fram40
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Dye has a mutual $12M option for 2010, but the Sox can buy him out for $1M. His "no-trade" is limited to certain teams, and he hasn't completed his fifth year with the Sox yet, so 10-5 doesn't count yet.

If the Sox exercise the option or re-sign Dye to a new contract, he has complete no-trade protection starting next year as a 10-5 guy. Given Dye's comments as reported, I have to assume he would reject almost any trade.

I think that has to influence KW given his comments over the years about needing flexibilty. I would be surprised if Dye is back next year unless we see at least the ALCS this post season.

Thome would have not have no-trade protection as 10-5 guy until 2011

WSox597
08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
I really like Thome, even when he was a "Jndjian". I always wanted the Sox to pick him up some time.

However, he is at the end of his string. He can still hammer the ball, but really can't play 1B any more, and is slow on the basepaths.

The obvious thing to do is to keep Jermaine Dye since he can still play RF and also DH.

Thome's a great guy, and in an ideal world we could keep both of them. Picking up Rios may have punched his ticket, though.

Viva Medias B's
08-12-2009, 01:19 PM
I think we'll have a "Jim Thome Apperciation Thread" before a "Jermaine Dye Appreciation Thread."