PDA

View Full Version : Victorino ejected from center field?

InKennyWeTrust
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
http://m.mlb.com/phi/news/article/200908096329920

Article doesn't explain why, but I imagine Baseball Tonight will have it in a few minutes.

soxfanreggie
08-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Watching this right now. Rapuano is not going to be taking any vacations in Philly for a while. There is no reason he should have been ejected for throwing his arms up, it might have been more because Rapuano was mad at Howard, but it's not like he flipped him off or talked back to him during an at-bat. I've seen players show far more emotion than throwing their arms up. I believe an umpire who does something like this needs to be talked to.

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-10-2009, 08:10 PM
How can Victorino even tell if it was a ball or strike from 300 feet away?

Slight hijack, but I hate when fans attending the game get mad at the ump when they think he made the wrong call on a ball or strike. Seriously, you're hundreds of feet away, not viewing from field level, and most likely sitting at an angle and not seeing the pitch from straight on.

Boondock Saint
08-10-2009, 08:13 PM

Slight hijack, but I hate when fans attending the game get mad at the ump when they think he made the wrong call on a ball or strike. Seriously, you're hundreds of feet away, not viewing from field level, and most likely sitting at an angle and not seeing the pitch from straight on.

I'm not saying that the fans are right, but while at a game, if you can see the strike zone, you get a good feel of what is a strike and what is a ball.

Huisj
08-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm not saying that the fans are right, but while at a game, if you can see the strike zone, you get a good feel of what is a strike and what is a ball.

And if you spend thousands of innings standing in the same spot on the field each year, you probably get a pretty good feel for that as well.

johnnyg83
08-10-2009, 10:07 PM
Rapuano is a hothead and a bad ump.

GoGoGoGo
08-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Here's the video...

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=6014957&c_id=mlb

bnlfanmatt
08-11-2009, 01:42 AM

It reminds me of a guy sitting near me a few years back arguing that a ball against an opponent was a strike yelled out something like "hey ump, that was a strike, sure I'm 100 feet farther away from the plate than you but you can trust my judgment!" :redneck

WhiteSox1989
08-11-2009, 06:45 AM
He should not have been kicked out. That's ridiculous. I don't know how Manuel kept his cool.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-11-2009, 11:42 AM
This is why Bill Veeck didn't like umpires. He thought they were arrogant bullies.

gobears1987
08-11-2009, 11:57 AM
He should not have been kicked out. That's ridiculous. I don't know how Manuel kept his cool.
He must be taking tips from another manager named Manuel

Metalthrasher442
08-11-2009, 12:38 PM
He must be taking tips from another manager named Manuel

Rarely I laugh while on the computer, but that was a pretty good one haha.

beasly213
08-11-2009, 01:22 PM

I hate that as well. When I'm sitting in the outfield and people are shouting "AW COME ON" on balls and strikes.

I often sarcastically agree with them and say "Yea I don't know why the ump doesn't call the game from out here." :redneck