PDA

View Full Version : Carrasco as the 5th Starter

Lillian
08-09-2009, 08:52 AM
I advocated this way back in the Spring, before Jose was ready the first time. Here is what I said then, in my second post on the subject:

"I still like Carrasco for the 5th starter........
I know for a fact that he had wanted to return to the role of starter, which he earned his last year in the Majors before spending one year in Japan.
I met his wife, Autumn, last year in Tucson and we had a couple of conversations in which she told me of his aspirations as a starter.
One could argue that he's earned a shot, given his steady work last year. He throws a lot of different pitches, and none of them seem to be very hard on the arm. You would think that he could quickly make the transition from long relief to starting."

Last night Ozzie said that they are thinking about using him as the 5th starter until Peavy is ready. What do you think?

SoxGirl4Life
08-09-2009, 09:21 AM
He started the second game against the Yankees and got knocked around. He's SO valuable as a long reliever, I'd hate to lose him from that spot. But who knows.

LITTLE NELL
08-09-2009, 09:32 AM
He was'nt too good against NY but who else do we have.
Speaking of starting pitching, Mark and Danks need to step it up a notch and Contrares is really bad right now.

Lillian
08-09-2009, 09:33 AM
That's right. He did get that one start, and it went pretty badly, but I'd like to see him get another chance. Maybe they could simply reverse the roles. Let him start and Jose can relieve if he struggles too badly. I have more confidence in D. J.'s ability to keep them from digging a huge hole early the game, than I do in Jose's.

Rohan
08-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Isn't Autumn one of the sweetest people in the world? My girlfriend and I met her on the train going to a game once and she didn't know how to get from union station to the red line. So she came along with us and we had quite a good time.

As much as I would love to see DJ get a chance to build his reputation as a starter, I think our bullpen would take too big of a hit. We need him in there, he's the foundation. Without him the "important" guys like Thornton, Dotel, and Jenks just end up pitching more innings and being less rested.

In order for this team to be successful, DJ Carrasco MUST continue to do what he's doing. Without him in the bullpen, the White Sox will feel a whole new world of hurt.

kevingrt
08-09-2009, 10:44 AM
He started the second game against the Yankees and got knocked around. He's SO valuable as a long reliever, I'd hate to lose him from that spot. But who knows.

I completely agree with you. DJ is so valuable in that long relief spot I cannot imagine anyone else replacing him there. I'd much rather keep Torres in that 5th starter role and just make sure DJ has a game of rest before going into Torres start so he would be available for at least two innings.

But we will see what Ozzie and KW decide.

DirtySox
08-09-2009, 11:26 AM
Nope. Leave him where he is, as he is much more suited to be in the long relief role.

I'd like to see Hudson called up to see what the kid can do. Give him a taste as he will likely be in the mix for the 5th starter spot next year.

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree with the others. Just leave him where he is.

I am very happy DJ is a part of the bullpen. VERY. He's been a gift to the Sox.

russ99
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
D.J. should stay where he is, since he's so good at his role, and we need him when our 1-4 starters have rough outings too.

Starting brings in so many more expectations, so I have doubts he's cut out to going 5-6 innings rather than his usual 2-3.

Torres showed me a lot in last night's game, with some gutsy pitches with guys on base and in bad counts. He should stay #5, but Coop needs to work on his control. IMO, Torres can only get better from this point on.

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 12:14 PM
D.J. should stay where he is, since he's so good at his role.

Starting brings in so many more expectations, so I have doubts he's cut out to going 5-6 innings rather than his usual 2-3.

Torres showed me a lot in last night's game, with some gutsy pitches with guys on base and in bad counts. He should stay #5, but Coop needs to work on his control. IMO, Torres can only get better from this point on.

Yes. Especially in that first inning. I know he walked the bases loaded, but he also got out of it. He has potential. Like you said, Coop just needs to work with him.

SoxGirl4Life
08-09-2009, 12:30 PM
DJ has some nice quotes about this topic in this piece:

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2009/08/dj-carrasco-might-be-too-valuable-as-white-soxs-fifth-starter-following-85-comeback-win-over-clevela.html

Domeshot17
08-09-2009, 12:34 PM
DJ is a retreaded Journeyman who has done a fair job in long relief. He can eat innings and doesn't get shelled. Leave him where he is. Would you rather have a decent long reliever or a below average 5th starter?

Chicken Dinner
08-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I'll take anybody as a fifth starter that doesn't walk anybody!

jabrch
08-09-2009, 01:38 PM
DJ is so good at what he does...I like him in that role. I'm not sure how much better he'd be than Torres, Garcia, Hudson, etc. I don't know - maybe he would...but I'd hate to have nobody to fill the long man role that DJ does so well.