PDA

View Full Version : Is David Ortiz telling the truth?

Fenway
08-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I want to believe him

Sunday Boston Globe offers two views

For Ortiz, is it truth or consequences? - Tony Massarotti sports blog - Boston.com -

http://shar.es/IDQd

Boston Red Sox - Almost a clean getaway - The Boston Globe Dan Shaughnessy -

http://shar.es/IDPm

WhiteSox1989
08-08-2009, 09:27 PM
No.

Boondock Saint
08-08-2009, 09:28 PM
No.

What he said.

WhiteSox1989
08-08-2009, 09:29 PM
What he said.
She.:D:

SoxGirl4Life
08-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Where's the option "I don't care"?

Noneck
08-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I am sure most blosox fans want to believe that 2 of the most important cogs in 2 championship teams were not cheaters. It sure does taint those championships. Well live with it, it is tainted.

CLR01
08-09-2009, 12:31 AM
David Ortiz is full of ****. He's about as clean as a carnival port-a-potty.

soltrain21
08-09-2009, 01:22 AM
David Ortiz is full of ****. He's about as clean as a carnival port-a-potty.

That could be pretty clean assuming they just powerwashed said potty.

WhiteSox5187
08-09-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm not sure what to believe as in April I believed him (or maybe just wanted to) when he said he was clean. But, I find it hard to believe that players aren't aware of what they are putting in their bodies.

WizardsofOzzie
08-09-2009, 01:40 AM
He admitted that he was "careless" with regard to using "supplements and vitamins." "I used a lot of supplements and vitamins. I even had companies sending me supplements and things back then, but I never buy steroids or used steroids."

Ignorance isn't a defense. It's your job as an athlete to make sure that anything you put into your body is allowed by the league. If he was indeed "careless" and didn't research what he was taking then it's extremely possible he ingested steroids, whether or not he realized it, but again ignorance isn't an excuse. Many people have the misconception that steroids are illegal by law and hard to obtain. There is a lot of grey area out there where steroids can not only be obtained legally, but you can get them over the counter some places.

Domeshot17
08-09-2009, 02:36 AM
I dont get it

Arod says he didnt use, then he only used a little

manny says he didnt use

palmerio didnt use

tejada didnt use

Ortiz says he didnt use, and you want to believe him?

You can't be that niave, he has hinted in the past he used. It sucks, but its become clear that 2004 had nothing to do with a shot of jack, just some injections of roids

StillMissOzzie
08-09-2009, 02:38 AM
In his years with Minnesota (1997-2002), his BEST year of HRs was 20 in 2002, where his batting average was .266
In the next 5 years with the Red Sox (2003-2007), he AVERAGED 41 HRs/year, with his best year of 54 in 2006. His batting average, by my eyeball estimate, was around .290 over that stretch.

Legal supplements and vitamins, my ass.

SMO
:gulp:

Ron Karkovice
08-09-2009, 04:59 AM
In his years with Minnesota (1997-2002), his BEST year of HRs was 20 in 2002, where his batting average was .266
In the next 5 years with the Red Sox (2003-2007), he AVERAGED 41 HRs/year, with his best year of 54 in 2006. His batting average, by my eyeball estimate, was around .290 over that stretch.

SMO

southside rocks
08-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Ortiz pointed out that he's been tested at least 15 times since 2003 and has been clean every time. That's worth something, to me.

Do I think he's entirely clean? No. But do I think he's as dirty as Manny and the Rocket? No, I don't think that either.

I think there were varying degrees of use/abuse by players. The question is: does that matter? Or is it an all-or-nothing situation?

We'll be answering those questions for a long time, for a lot of players.

TomParrish79
08-09-2009, 08:06 AM
all he had to do was apologize and admit he made a mistake.

Heck if he was gonna lie he could have said he used it to help with an injury. Instead he went the Sammy Sosa route and denied it plus acted like he didn't speak much english.

Check his numbers with the Twins and check his numbers once he arrived in Boston and you have your answer.

And is the norm with most users, check out the drop off in huge numbers that he is having this year.

rocky biddle
08-09-2009, 08:07 AM
I was listening to ESPN radio right after his press conference and they immediately went into spin mode. What a joke.

He cheated, he got caught, and now he's making up a story for damage control. I don't believe him for a second.

Ron Karkovice
08-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I was listening to ESPN radio right after his press conference and they immediately went into spin mode. What a joke.

He cheated, he got caught, and now he's making up a story for damage control. I don't believe him for a second.

You can't blame him for lying like this. Or can you? ha

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 09:22 AM
all he had to do was apologize and admit he made a mistake.

Heck if he was gonna lie he could have said he used it to help with an injury. Instead he went the Sammy Sosa route and denied it plus acted like he didn't speak much english.

Check his numbers with the Twins and check his numbers once he arrived in Boston and you have your answer.

And is the norm with most users, check out the drop off in huge numbers that he is having this year.

I agree with this. Because he's making up excuses it's just making people dislike him more.

WizardsofOzzie
08-09-2009, 11:15 AM

SMO
That's the thing though, at the time they could have been legal despite being a steroid precursor. Androstenedione (or Andro as most people know it) is a good example of this. Mcgwire came out and admitted back in the 90's that he was taking Andro and because it was a legal supplement at the time nobody batted an eyelash. By definition Andro is a prohormone which isn't straight testosterone, but will convert to testosterone once in the body. So the only difference between taking andro and taking straight testosterone is that andro has to convert to testosterone once in the body. Either way you are ending up with the target hormone in your body. Like I said, LOTS of grey areas.

Rockabilly
08-09-2009, 11:21 AM
he's a liar

SoxGirl4Life
08-09-2009, 11:25 AM
If it wasn't all a big lie and a big show, why wait until the perceived apocalypse of the Yankees/Red Sox series to have this press conference? Give me a break. I hope the Yankees sweep them today.

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 11:28 AM
If it wasn't all a big lie and a big show, why wait until the perceived apocalypse of the Yankees/Red Sox series to have this press conference? Give me a break. I hope the Yankees sweep them today.
I hate the Red Sox more than I hate the Yankees. So I'm with you there.

doublem23
08-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I dont get it

Arod says he didnt use, then he only used a little

manny says he didnt use

palmerio didnt use

tejada didnt use

Ortiz says he didnt use, and you want to believe him?

You can't be that niave, he has hinted in the past he used. It sucks, but its become clear that 2004 had nothing to do with a shot of jack, just some injections of roids

This should answer a few questions about why Fenway still "wants to believe"

http://deadspin.com/5327199/in-which-we-drink-in-the-hilarious-naivete-of-red-sox-nation

Foul language ahead... BE FOREWARNED

JermaineDye05
08-09-2009, 04:03 PM
After what's happened with other users, Ortiz is guilty until proven innocent.

Giambi/Palmeiro/Bonds/Manny/A-Rod

they all said the same thing.

mccoydp
08-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Lying sack.

soxfanreggie
08-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Would he have eaten rat poision if they sent it to him? I don't believe him, but I can't be 100% sure in that belief.

InKennyWeTrust
08-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Like I said, LOTS of grey areas.
But sadly, it's black and white when it comes to fan perception.

UChicagoHP
08-09-2009, 11:23 PM
If the owners want PED use to stop(and I believe they do, for the most part), they had better push hard for the implementation of olympic-style drug testing/punishment at the next cb meeting. Only the most idiotic players will attempt to break the rules/law under that system. Of course, these are millionaires, and some will stay ahead of the testing curve/on the cutting edge of nutritional science, but I think the PED "problem" will be significantly reduced. On the other hand, I want the MLBPA to cut the crap and tow the line that most of the players are thinking anyway...that PED use is fine under most circumstances and should be allowed. That is what they not-so-secretly feel, so lets get this party started. I just want the wishy-washy testing/excuses/etc to end, one way or the other. Sorry for venting, I'm just tired of the never-ending spin from the MLBPA/sports-reporters/athletes/etc...