08-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Discuss it here...

WhiteSox1989
08-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Sox win. I'm happy!!

Everyone have a good night.

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Glad we won, but our pitchers have no ****ing guts. ****ing bean a player when they throw at our batters like that. Buehrle hits people when our guys get hit and everyone knows it so they don't throw at our batters when Buehrle is on the mound. I wish I could say the same for the rest of our pitchers. Have your teammate's back.

At least Bobby was filthy during the 9th.

soxnut1018
Kidney stones can't stop Bobby! :bliss:
kM7C_yNlCLU

KnightSox
Nice comeback, lets take the series tomorrow!

Boondock Saint
Great comeback. Finish them tomorrow.

TomParrish79
Way to battle back and win the game

2 games back of first

And Bobby has some velocity again

manders_01
08-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Started out a little rough but turned things around nicely. :bandance:

Should we all started placing bets on which inning a member of the Tribe is getting plunked? :tongue:

thomas35forever
Great come-from-behind win. On a night where it looked like everything was going wrong, it all turned out fine. Let's take the series tomorrow.

SoxGirl4Life
We needed this one. :bandance:

Soxgirl22
Glad to see the Sox actually come from behind and win one! :D:

gf2020
Great to win one of the three Richard starts we are missing in exchange for Peavy. Hopefully, the bullpen usage won't come back to haunt us.

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2009, 10:24 PM
You know who practices routine beanballing? Losing teams like the Indians and Rangers.

Bush league teams do bush league things.

**** 'em. Just beat them.

SoxGirl4Life
And DJ playing hero again.

GoGoCrede
That was fun. But I'm sick of our guys getting hit.

gobears1987
Great to win one of the three Richard starts we are missing in exchange for Peavy. Hopefully, the bullpen usage won't come back to haunt us.
We've actually won 2 of them already. They counted the deadline game was one.

SoxFan1979
08-08-2009, 10:25 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Hawk was one pissed off dude lol.

gf2020
Jose needs to go seven tomorrow. We need vintage JC.

WSox597
It didn't start out well, with all of those walks. But all's well that ends well!

Take the series tomorrow, guys.

Not necessary to bean them back. Maybe bean their punkass manager, he's probably the mutt giving the orders.

A nice "accidental" line drive into the dugout will do the trick.

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:26 PM
You know who practices routine beanballing? Losing teams like the Indians and Rangers.

Tell that to Buehrle. He knows when to do it and our batters don't get hit with him on the mound.

PK has been drilled this past week and we know he has thumb injuries to contend with. We are going to run out of luck very soon with him if this continues. I want to see Floyd go out tomorrow and ****ing hit someone in the first inning so the Indians know this **** is unacceptable. I wouldn't mind a wild pitch into the Indian's dugout aimed for Wedge's fat head.

SoxGirl4Life
08-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Man, I hope Bobby's pitching problems were completely kidney stone related

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Man, I hope Bobby's pitching problems were completely kidney stone related
It's a very good chance that it was. Regardless of what the dark clouds say, Bobby is not finished and is a top tier closer in this league.

SoxGirl4Life
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
It's a very good chance that it was. Regardless of what the dark clouds say, Bobby is not finished and is a top tier closer in this league.

Oh I know. I guess he's not fat tonight. :dunno:

Zisk77
08-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Glad we won, but our pitchers have no ****ing guts. ****ing bean a player when they throw at our batters like that. Buehrle hits people when our guys get hit and everyone knows it so they don't throw at our batters when Buehrle is on the mound. I wish I could say the same for the rest of our pitchers. Have your teammate's back.

Unfortunately we had to win tonight. Guys will be hit tomorrow, had nothing to do with guts.

GoGoCrede
08-08-2009, 10:30 PM

:rolling: He's solid.

WhiteSox1989
08-08-2009, 10:30 PM
He's "big" today.

Scottiehaswheels
08-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I'll bet Matt is getting chewed out right about now... You know Ozzie left him in there with one job, and that job was to plunk Pronk.

SoxGirl4Life
08-08-2009, 10:31 PM
He's "big" today.

Husky!

Frater Perdurabo
08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Tell that to Buehrle. He knows when to do it and our batters don't get hit with him on the mound.

PK has been drilled this past week and we know he has thumb injuries to contend with. We are going to run out of luck very soon with him if this continues. I want to see Floyd go out tomorrow and ****ing hit someone in the first inning so the Indians know this **** is unacceptable. I wouldn't mind a wild pitch into the Indian's dugout aimed for Wedge's fat head.

I have no problem with justifiable retaliation. Frankly I wouldn't have a problem if a Sox hitter (preferably the 25th man on the roster :tongue:) grabbed a bat and busted the pitcher's kneecaps in retaliation.

But notice it's NEVER the Sox who instigate it. Also notice that most truly good teams don't instigate it, either. It's always the Indians and Rangers and other craptacular teams who start this ****. I can't say I blame them; they are probably really pissed that their management White Flagged two years in a row. But instigating this crap is bush league in its lowest form.

Zisk77
08-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Great job by Carrasco and the whole BP.

Thome...Good Lord!

TCQ nice missile.

40 RBI's for Bacon!

SoxGirl4Life
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Great job by Carrasco and the whole BP.

Thome...Good Lord!

TCQ nice missile.

40 RBI's for Bacon!

Wow. 40 is a nice number for 2 months in the bigs for the rookie.

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:33 PM
I'll bet Matt is getting chewed out right about now... You know Ozzie left him in there with one job, and that job was to plunk Pronk.
I really hope that is the case. The Indians threw at some of our batters in 2005. When Buehrle finally got a start against them, he threw at Hafner in the first inning and broke his cheek bone. I want to see that tomorrow to teach Wedge a ****ing lesson. Take notice how the Indians (or anyone for that matter) don't hit our batters with Buehrle on the mound.

Zisk77
08-08-2009, 10:34 PM

I don't think so...if Pronk batted 3rd and we got the first 2 yep.

I'm not sure Bobby didn't try to hit Valbuena with the second pitch.

soxnut1018
08-08-2009, 10:34 PM

He's Thome big, not Colon big.

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:38 PM
I have no problem with justifiable retaliation. Frankly I wouldn't have a problem if a Sox hitter (preferably the 25th man on the roster :tongue:) grabbed a bat and busted the pitcher's kneecaps in retaliation.

But notice it's NEVER the Sox who instigate it. Also notice that most truly good teams don't instigate it, either. It's always the Indians and Rangers and other craptacular teams who start this ****. I can't say I blame them; they are probably really pissed that their management White Flagged two years in a row. But instigating this crap is bush league in its lowest form.
I'm with you on that one. I think even the biggest FOBAs would be enamored with DeWayne Wise if he did that one.

I realize it is never the Sox who instigate it and that's how I want to see it stay. However, if we retaliate tomorrow, it is retaliation. It is not instigation as the instigation occurred tonight. As I mentioned already, the Indians tried this crap in 2005 and Buehrle responded by breaking Hafner's cheek. The Indians losing Hafner for 3 weeks probably helped us open that 15 game lead that provided a cushion for when the Indians got hot.

PeteWard
08-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Finally a 123 ninth for Jenks and people still bitch that he did not bean someone. Bobby had to get through an inning to get his mojo back. A HBP could have set off a horrible chain of events that would have this board pissing all over him for the beaning.:mad:

twinsuck
08-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Tomorrow when the Sox are winning 8-0 those bastards are gonna get it.

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Finally a 123 ninth for Jenks and people still bitch that he did not bean someone. Bobby had to get through an inning to get his mojo back. A HBP could have set off a horrible chain of events that would have this board pissing all over him for the beaning.:mad:
I'm pretty sure no one would be pissed at him for beaning someone that inning. I think more of us were hoping for it than not.

SoxGirl4Life
08-08-2009, 10:42 PM

Welcome to WSI

GlassSox
08-08-2009, 10:42 PM

I agree that a good inning was needed for Jenks.

PeteWard
08-08-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm pretty sure no one would be pissed at him for beaning someone that inning. I think more of us were hoping for it than not.

And then if he gave up a hit and a homer where would you have stood?:rolleyes:

Dick Allen
08-08-2009, 10:44 PM
With the way Jenks has been pitching lately, he needed to get people out, not hit anybody. Save that for tomorrow.:redneck

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:46 PM
I trust Jenks enough that he wouldn't have done so. I think his pitching woes can be largely attributed to dealing with kidney stones. Anyone in the chat knows I really wanted to see Bobby throw at someone.

Zisk77
08-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Screaming you have to be smarter then that and Blaming Ozzie of course.

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Screaming you have to be smarter then that and Blaming Ozzie of course.
Find one post where I have ever attacked Ozzie or Bobby. I was one of the few people on this board defending Bobby and Ozzie's decision to stick with him. Trust me, I got into a lot of shouting matches with the anti-Ozzie crowd.

I'm always being accused of being an Ozzie apologist here, and I'm damn proud to be given that label too. I'd rather be an Ozzie apologist than a foaming at the mouth dark cloud.

Zisk77
08-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Too bad it was a WGN game I wanted to see ozzie's presser

PeteWard
08-08-2009, 10:49 PM
I trust Jenks enough that he wouldn't have done so. I think his pitching woes can be largely attributed to dealing with kidney stones. Anyone in the chat knows I really wanted to see Bobby throw at someone.

So, again, if Jenks had beaned someone, and then the Indians rallied and the Sox lost a chance to gain on Det., you would stand by the decision to plunk?

RedPinStripes
08-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Not Bush league. Part of the game if you want to play it. Just have to give it back to them and it will stop. The Sox get thrown at all the time because they never retaliate. This has been going on for years. I see Buehrle do it and that's it. I saw him do it in Baltimore in 05 and got tossed without warning after the O's threw at the Sox the whole 4 game set.

**** these guys. Send the message and put one in the back at the first batter tomorrow. Sick of this crap. GO SOX!

Zisk77
08-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Find one post where I have ever attacked Ozzie or Bobby. I was one of the few people on this board defending Bobby and Ozzie's decision to stick with him. Trust me, I got into a lot of shouting matches with the anti-Ozzie crowd.

I'm always being accused of being an Ozzie apologist here, and I'm damn proud to be given that label too. I'd rather be an Ozzie apologist than a foaming at the mouth dark cloud.

Naw, not saying you did, I was being facetious talking about the mentality of some on the board. I apologise for making it seem like you did.

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:52 PM
So, again, if Jenks had beaned someone, and then the Indians rallied and the Sox lost a chance to gain on Det., you would stand by the decision to plunk?
I would. I personally wouldn't have used Bobby to hit someone and think Ozzie wanted Thornton to do it and that's why Bobby didn't start the 9th. I have a feeling Ozzie chewed Thornton out as he did to Sean Tracey.

Crestani
08-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Scratching our heads wondering why he hit someone.:scratch:
Save the wild pitches for tomorrow when we have a big lead!

gobears1987
08-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Well since Contreras has control problems, he might not be a bad candidate for bean ball tomorrow.

Woofer
08-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Bobby's not fat, he's big boned! (In Cartmans voice)

fram40
08-08-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't remember all of the details over the years, but it seems to me the Sox do start this stuff sometimes - especially against divisional rivals.

Buehrle has hit Hafner 6 (six) times over the years. That's quite a lot and I can't believe that all six were in retaliation. When he broke Hafner's bone in 2005 - there had been one HBP two games earlier in the third inning. Buehrle hit Hafner in the first inning of game 3 of the series. If retaliation had been called for, it seems that someone else could have done it in the fifteen innings prior to Buehrle hitting Hafner in the face.

Also - it was Buehrle who started the stuff with the Royals this year - hitting two Royals in the opener this year. With everyone po'ed at the Royals over what they have done this season - it seems we need to remember that it was Buehrle who hit them first this year. twice in the season opener so yes, it does seem we start this stuff sometimes

The best retaliation is scoring the run and winning the game. which the Sox did

As far as this game goes - thank god for Tomo Ohka. And Eric Wedge as well for bringing in a pitcher as bad as Ohka

Zisk77
08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I don't remember all of the details over the years, but it seems to me the Sox do start this stuff sometimes - especially against divisional rivals.

Buehrle has hit Hafner 6 (six) times over the years. That's quite a lot and I can't believe that all six were in retaliation. When he broke Hafner's bone in 2005 - there had been one HBP two games earlier in the third inning. Buehrle hit Hafner in the first inning of game 3 of the series. If retaliation had been called for, it seems that someone else could have done it in the fifteen innings prior to Buehrle hitting Hafner in the face.

Also - it was Buehrle who started the stuff with the Royals this year - hitting two Royals in the opener this year. With everyone po'ed at the Royals over what they have done this season - it seems we need to remember that it was Buehrle who hit them first this year. twice in the season opener so yes, it does seem we start this stuff sometimes

The best retaliation is scoring the run and winning the game. which the Sox did

As far as this game goes - thank god for Tomo Ohka. And Eric Wedge as well for bringing in a pitcher as bad as Ohka

Buerhle throws inside cutters and sometimes people get hit. That is far different than beaning guys. You get hit in the foot with a slider its unintential. You get a fb in the ribs it wa unpurpose.

NDSox12
08-08-2009, 11:00 PM
I would. I personally wouldn't have used Bobby to hit someone and think Ozzie wanted Thornton to do it and that's why Bobby didn't start the 9th. I have a feeling Ozzie chewed Thornton out as he did to Sean Tracey.

I doubt that. The reason Thornton started the 9th was to get a tough lefty out, which he did.

MeteorsSox4367
08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Looking forward to being out there tomorrow - even if it's going to be 90-plus. Nice job by Carrasco, Thornton and Bobby.

I'll be disappointed if someone from Cleveland doesn't get drilled tomorrow. Not in the head, but one in the ass or the ribs would work well.

Brian26
08-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Buerhle throws inside cutters and sometimes people get hit. That is far different than beaning guys. You get hit in the foot with a slider its unintential. You get a fb in the ribs it was unpurpose.

Absolutely. On a 3-0 pitch, no less.

I doubt that. The reason Thornton started the 9th was to get a tough lefty out, which he did.

Correct.

SoxyStu
08-08-2009, 11:08 PM
:bandance::bandance::bandance:

Hawk was one pissed off dude lol.

I laughed when he went off about how "Ozzie won't stand for it." What a load of bull****.

It's Time
08-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Need to take two of three tomorrow. Nice comeback and nice to see Jenks come in without any drama.

SoxyStu
08-08-2009, 11:09 PM

Jon G got it as well missing twice!

08-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Looking forward to being out there tomorrow - even if it's going to be 90-plus. Nice job by Carrasco, Thornton and Bobby.

I'll be disappointed if someone from Cleveland doesn't get drilled tomorrow. Not in the head, but one in the ass or the ribs would work well.

Disagree. If you want to hit someone, make it hurt. Make it hurt so bad that they would never think to do it again. Drill em' in the head.

However I don't mind that our players are getting hit. It gives us a runner on base. I'll take that every time.

GoGoCrede
08-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Disagree. If you want to hit someone, make it hurt. Make it hurt so bad that they would never think to do it again. Drill em' in the head.

Yikes. Let's not commit murder on the mound. :o:

fram40
08-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Buerhle throws inside cutters and sometimes people get hit. That is far different than beaning guys. You get hit in the foot with a slider its unintential. You get a fb in the ribs it wa unpurpose.

I think it depends on who gets hit and who does the hitting. And who we are rooting for. But how come it is always a beaning when their guy loses one inside but a cutter that got away when a Sox hits their guy.

I just did some checking on 2005. Seems like El Duque had hit 4 (four) Indians in one game on 6/03/2005 including Hafner twice.

I have no idea whether they have been intentional or not, whether they have been in retaliation or not, or who started what and when it got started. But I am surprised that Hafner has not charged the mound once or twice on the Sox.

october23sp
08-08-2009, 11:18 PM
Missed everything but Jenks' inning. Nice that he wasn't all over the place tonight. My Mom told me about the beanings and about how pissed Hawk was haha.

DickAllen72
08-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Anyone who intentionally drills a player in the head should be banned from baseball. You can kill or cripple someone for life doing that.

DrCrawdad
08-08-2009, 11:21 PM

I don't want Thornton suspended for plunking an Indians player. Not worth it.

Chicken Dinner
08-08-2009, 11:22 PM
No errors tonight :smile:, 8 walks :mad:, 15 K's :smile:, Sox winner! :cool:

DickAllen72
08-08-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't want Thornton suspended for plunking an Indians player. Not worth it.
Sox should take care of it Prince Fielder style.

JGarlandrules20

Um, no. It's a game. No reason to throw at guys heads and danger their life/career. There's nothing more scary in baseball then when a guy goes down after being drilled in the head.

Anyway. Great come from behind win! It was nice to see Bobby on the mound again.

Jaysox

However I don't mind that our players are getting hit. It gives us a runner on base. I'll take that every time.

Woah. Not a good idea. Drilling them in the hip would do nicely.

JermaineDye05
08-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Did they mention how far Thome's homer flew? That one had to be farther than the grand slam.

october23sp
08-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Sox should take care of it Prince Fielder style.

You mean WWE style? If they aren't down with that we got two words for them...http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/THEBOSTONSTARZ/dx.jpg

soxfan21
08-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Great game to be at tonite. Got pretty worried when we were down 5-1 and it looked as though it would end up being another boring corpseball game, but then the bats finally got hot and we pulled this one out. Hopefully the bats stay hot tomorrow and we go 7-3 on this homestand.

SOXfnNlansing
08-08-2009, 11:51 PM
The key to the game imo was after we tied and took a one run lead, we added extra runs late and shut them down late. It was a very nice game to attend. Nice wearing shorts for once.

hi im skot
08-08-2009, 11:52 PM

There was no "good" time do retaliate tonight. It was a tight game, and the way our pitching and defense has been, free baserunners are a no-no.

hi im skot
08-08-2009, 11:54 PM

No.

cbone
08-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Just got back from the game. Great win! :gulp:

What happened on the play with Beckham and Pods in the 8th I believe. Did Bacon get called for interference?

Zisk77
08-09-2009, 12:02 AM
I think it depends on who gets hit and who does the hitting. And who we are rooting for. But how come it is always a beaning when their guy loses one inside but a cutter that got away when a Sox hits their guy.

I just did some checking on 2005. Seems like El Duque had hit 4 (four) Indians in one game on 6/03/2005 including Hafner twice.

I have no idea whether they have been intentional or not, whether they have been in retaliation or not, or who started what and when it got started. But I am surprised that Hafner has not charged the mound once or twice on the Sox.

El uque definately was known to throw at people...just ask Frank...course Frank proceeded to rip a liner threw the box:tongue:

Boondock Saint
08-09-2009, 12:04 AM

What happened on the play with Beckham and Pods in the 8th I believe. Did Bacon get called for interference?

Yep. He was in fair territory.

Zisk77
08-09-2009, 12:04 AM

Yes he ran inside the line.

cbone
08-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Gracias. :gulp:

SBSoxFan
08-09-2009, 12:08 AM
I was worried too when the Sox went down 5-1. Big win, and, really, it's important to win tomorrow. You can't argue with a 7-3 homestand regardless of who it is against, despite all the people here who think the Sox suck if they can't win 3 of 3 from the lowly Indians. The Indians had won something like 11 of 15 or 16 coming in. That would be a very impressive homestand to win the series from them and win series from the teams that came to town with the best record in the A.L.

Keep winning series and this team will be looking at 90 wins at the end of the season.

slavko
08-09-2009, 12:13 AM

Have to agree with you, when he's right he's a top tier closer. Not the top of the top tier, however.

voodoochile
08-09-2009, 12:15 AM
And on the 6th day the Sox beheld a worrisome cartoonish team with nothing to play for and thus nothing to lose. And the Sox called upon a noob to get them through the game. But the noob was wild and the toons did pounce in desperation and the fans did gnash their teeth and seeth an early small lead wiped away through careless pitching. Thus it occurred for half the game. And then the toon lord did speak... Send forth Ohka and the toons were mightily pleased, but not as pleased as our Sox for the Sox saw Ohka and they saw that it was good. Big Jim stepped up with one on and one out and did deliver a formidable blow, lifting the team's spirits and restoring their fight. Three batters later a mighty man with a tender foot did tie the game and the fans rejoiced mightily praising the toon leader for blessing them with Ohka.

Basically, the Sox ate the toons bullpen and there was much rejoicing...:D:

As to the question about to bean or not to bean, I'll say this... Losers whine about not beaning. Winners go home and **** the prom queen...

Back to two back... Do we suck or not? I need my daily Doub...

:soxwin:

:)

JB98
08-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Just got back from the game. Who cares about the beanballing bull****? We don't need to get sucked into that crap with these clowns. Just win the ****ing game. That's what the Sox did.

I'm glad I got to see a win in person for a change. It's been a rough season of mostly ugly losses with me in attendance.

Win the series tomorrow and finish the homestand off strong.

Lip Man 1
08-09-2009, 12:36 AM
Carrasco has really bailed this team out the past two seasons.

Kenny needs to get a 5th starter next season.

Lip

esbrechtel
08-09-2009, 12:42 AM

Lip

Dj has been great this year. I am concerned that he had to come in today...I figured he would pitch about 4 innings tomorrow...

jabrch
08-09-2009, 12:46 AM

I totally agree FP. Winning is much more important than hitting people.

JB98
08-09-2009, 12:47 AM
Dj has been great this year. I am concerned that he had to come in today...I figured he would pitch about 4 innings tomorrow...

Wondering if they'll send Torres down and bring up another reliever for tomorrow. If not, Contreras is going to be out there for awhile in that heat, whether he can find the plate or not.

balke
08-09-2009, 02:27 AM
I gotta give kudos to Guillen tonight. He could've let Torres sweat through his last inning and given up on this game. He made the switch at the right time, and the Sox were able to generate a massive comeback.

Can't say enough about a win like this. Beckham looks great out there, Thome crushed that ball, Pods moved the runner along at a key time. A lot of good things came together.

TDog
08-09-2009, 02:59 AM

Hitting their hitters is not the way to retaliate against a pitcher who doesn't come up to bat. Drag a bunt and take it to the pitcher in the baseline. It's a lot easier than shooting a line drive between his eyes.

Of course, umpires can eject pitchers any time they believe they intentionally throw at someone, whether or not a warning has been issued. The retaliating pitcher is more likely to get ejected. Retaliating is counterproductive, and doesn't help you win games. I've never seen anyone ejected for ripping open a pitcher's leg in a play at first, although I've seen ejections after the ensuing fight.

For the second time, the White Sox have won in the rotation spot left vacant trading Richard and not yet filled by Peavy. The Sox are 2-0 in such games so far. Peavy couldn't have done better. Compare it to penalty killing in hockey. If the Sox win every start in Peavy's spot before Peavy is activated, missing Peavy -- missing Richard -- is limited to the additional stress the situation puts on the bullpen.

I was impressed that Guillen left Thornton to get out the first hitter in the ninth. I wasn't so impressed with the attempted Beckham sacrifice. But Guillen and I disagree fundamentally on the value of the sacrifice.

Rikirk
08-09-2009, 03:18 AM
http://thm-a02.yimg.com/image/191b2f0be4f02ba4

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/image/ff6c4057bf5d8f26

http://thm-a02.yimg.com/image/6a8dbc70f9c65c44

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs126.snc1/5440_106115334077_779439077_2032775_988641_n.jpg

hawkjt
08-09-2009, 07:39 AM
Just hope Jose comes out and has any mechanical issues solved and can throw strikes. Then, if the Sox could get a big lead, sure, hit someone in the ribs and move on. Otherwise, just ''file it'' and next time you get a big lead on them, nail them. Winning games and getting Jose back in a groove are the #1 objective today and beyond.

WSox597
08-09-2009, 08:28 AM
Great job by Jenks. Hopefully his troubles are behind him.

He needed that to clear the cobwebs.

Take the series, guys.

kevingrt
08-09-2009, 10:43 AM
How valuable is Carrasco to this team right now? It seems every time he pitches we win. And he isn't getting much rest right now. What a huge effort from the most underrated player on the 25-man roster. Thansk DJ!

FielderJones
08-09-2009, 11:06 AM
Wondering if they'll send Torres down and bring up another reliever for tomorrow. If not, Contreras is going to be out there for awhile in that heat, whether he can find the plate or not.

I imagine Jose knows a thing or two about pitching in the heat ...

Hitmen77
08-09-2009, 11:48 AM

Lip

If the Sox are high on that Hudson kid in the minors, I honestly don't see KW devoting more of our payroll/giving up more talent by signing or trading for a veteran 5th starter.

Whether this is the right move or not, I expect that the Sox plan for the 2010 rotation is MB, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, Hudson/other minor leaguer. Anything else they get will be retreads hoping to rebound (like they did with Colon this year).

I'm not saying this is absolutely the right move to make, but it's the one I expect them to make.

wassagstdu
08-09-2009, 11:57 AM
There is a lot of nonsense in this thread about "beaning," instigation, and retaliation. First of all, "beaning" means hitting someone in the head. One intemperate poster did advocate that, but that person could have been egged on by some sloppy references in earlier posts. The problem with failing to make that distinction is that the discussion (mob) is easily escalated with theoretically tragic consequences. Since none of us is in a position to act on the discussion (at least not in a Sox game -- and there I am assuming...) it does remain theoretical, fortunately.

The second issue is the use of statistics. HPB is one statistic that is utterly meaningless. It does not distinguish the inside pitch that brushes the baggy uniform or the pitch in the dirt that bounces into the hitter from the fastball drill in the ribs. I don't think many of us would take Carlos Quentin's high HPB stat per se as calling for retaliation because the way he hits makes it likely that he will be hit. Is the number of times Hafner has been hit any different? You have to know each situation and the details of the pitch -- fastball or curve, bases loaded or 2 out-none on, blow out or close game. So I don't buy any of the arguments that Buehrle is an instigator, not without seeing each instance.

It looked to me like Konerko and Pods were hit on purpose. But in order to believe that I have to believe too that the Indians were more interested in hitting Sox than in winning the game -- especially the Pods drilling. I trust Ozzie to make the call because history is also a factor, and the known tendencies of various teams -- like the Orioles and Rangers.

johnny bench
08-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Agreed that by itself, HBP doesn't tell you a lot, but it's interesting to look at net team HBP: times your batters are HBP less the number of batters your pitchers HBP.

The teams that don't retaliate when their batters are HBP?

Cleveland (by a huge margin)
Detroit
Oakland
White Sox

The teams whose pitchers are hitting more batters without being retaliated against?

Angels
Texas
Toronto
Yankees
Minnesota