PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton has a setback with his off the field problems

Rockabilly
08-08-2009, 04:32 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Josh-Hamilton-s-long-journey-takes-another-twist;_ylt=AsJWFVCYoFDe.vWYnIu4eBc5nYcB?urn=mlb,18 1651

I hope he can't fight through his problems.

Flamer
08-08-2009, 04:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Josh-Hamilton-s-long-journey-takes-another-twist;_ylt=AsJWFVCYoFDe.vWYnIu4eBc5nYcB?urn=mlb,18 1651

Well, I hope he can fight his troubles.

He had a terrific year last year, but this year he has been struggling.

Rohan
08-08-2009, 04:42 PM
There's no proof he was actually drunk...
It's actually rather disturbing that deadspin is turning into the perezhilton of sports. What exploitation... I guess I didn't expect any differently..

DirtySox
08-08-2009, 05:03 PM
It's actually rather disturbing that deadspin is turning into the perezhilton of sports. What exploitation... I guess I didn't expect any differently..

The comments Josh made sure seemed to acknowledge he was drinking.

GoGoCrede
08-08-2009, 05:03 PM
I feel for his wife and hope they can make it through this rough period.

08-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Looks like fun.

WhiteSox1989
08-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Classy.

I feel bad for his wife.

Gavin
08-08-2009, 05:13 PM
this won't be the last hypocrite I've seen in my life, but in reality....

who cares?

GoGoCrede
08-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Classy.

I feel bad for his wife.

Ditto. Those pics are pretty devastating.

TheOldRoman
08-08-2009, 05:18 PM
The comments Josh made sure seemed to acknowledge he was drinking.Yes, but Rohan said "drunk". Either way, as a recovering alcoholic, Josh shouldn't have been drinking at all. This is a really unfortunate thing.

this won't be the last hypocrite I've seen in my life, but in reality....

who cares?I think it is a pretty big stretch to call him a hypocrite at this point. He is a recovering alcoholic (as well as drug addict). While there is no excuse for his actions, it isn't exactly as easy as just throwing out your liqour cabinet and never looking back. Some people have relapses. I have known a few alcoholics, and they say it is a constant struggle for the rest of their lives. Besides that, he has still played this year (aside from time on the DL), so it doesn't seem like that was the first of many benders. Hopefully he can get his life back together.

08-08-2009, 05:26 PM
I love how people feel they are somehow entitled to pass judgment on celebrities in instances such as this. :whiner:

Need a tissue?

Madvora
08-08-2009, 05:37 PM
How could those girls even see what they were doing while wearing those black masks the whole night?

doublem23
08-08-2009, 05:37 PM

And yet it's still pretty much the best sports website on the planet.

Domeshot17
08-08-2009, 06:02 PM
This wouldn't be a big deal if the fact Hamilton was a recovering addict wasn't thrown down our throats every minute of last season. Yes, it was a fantastic story. Yes, his raw ability is uncanny and if he had stayed clean his entire career he could have been Ruthian. But don't let every major sports outlet document your struggles nightly, make a fortune off a book about your recoveries and then don't expect the heat when you relapse.

It actually sounds like Hamilton is aware of his relapse, aware this is a big deal, and owned up to it. Good for him.

It is a tough thing, the life of a major league baseball player is one of the careers that could make it tough to avoid drugs and alcohol.

kittle42
08-08-2009, 06:20 PM
I love how people feel they are somehow entitled to pass judgment on celebrities in instances such as this. :whiner:

Need a tissue?

Amen. It's the American public that are the real hypocrites - expecting perfection from celebrities and politicians when, like all of us, no one is perfect.

Domeshot17
08-08-2009, 06:43 PM
Amen. It's the American public that are the real hypocrites - expecting perfection from celebrities and politicians when, like all of us, no one is perfect.

I do not think this is entirely true. I mean I agree, sometimes we hold Athletes in situations poorly (Phelps is not the first person in their young 20s who smoked pot, he just was the American Olympian). But Hamilton has made a lot of money and gotten a lot of coverage based off his newfound sobriety. I am pulling for him in life, most of us know someone who has struggled with either Alcohol or Substance abuse (or both) and its a terribly downward spiral and that is not overcome without a few hurdles and trip ups. However, most of those people don't get books, tv documentaries, after school specials made after them.

soxinem1
08-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I hate to say it, but I see a Steve Howe, Rod Scurry, Alan Wiggins, etc. saga brewing, meaning he will get into trouble again.

I'd be careful if I was TEX before signing him to any type of huge contract, if they haven't already.

08-09-2009, 10:25 AM
I do not think this is entirely true. I mean I agree, sometimes we hold Athletes in situations poorly (Phelps is not the first person in their young 20s who smoked pot, he just was the American Olympian). But Hamilton has made a lot of money and gotten a lot of coverage based off his newfound sobriety. I am pulling for him in life, most of us know someone who has struggled with either Alcohol or Substance abuse (or both) and its a terribly downward spiral and that is not overcome without a few hurdles and trip ups. However, most of those people don't get books, tv documentaries, after school specials made after them.

This is that bull**** I'm talking about. Did Josh Hamilton order the making of books, tv documentaries and after school specials???

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 10:41 AM

Need a tissue?

I'm not passing judgment. I simply stated I feel bad for his wife, especially after she stuck by him through everything.

Hamilton is young, he is allowed to have fun, only problem is he is married with kids.

08-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not passing judgment. I simply stated I feel bad for his wife, especially after she stuck by him through everything.

Hamilton is young, he is allowed to have fun, only problem is he is married with kids.

Maybe his wife doesn't give a ****?

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Then I still feel bad for her because clearly she has no self respect.

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 11:00 AM
And that wasn't even my point. What I was stating to you was that I wasn't passing judgment. Please reread my first post.

08-09-2009, 11:04 AM
And that wasn't even my point. What I was stating to you was that I wasn't passing judgment. Please reread my first post.

And my point... Josh Hamilton and his wife don't need your sympathy.

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 11:06 AM
And my point... Josh Hamilton and his wife don't need your sympathy.

RIGHT. I didn't say that they needed it. I'm simply commented on the pictures, as others have done.

Josh Hamilton doesn't need you to defend him.

08-09-2009, 11:10 AM
RIGHT. I didn't say that they needed it. I'm simply commented on the pictures, as others have done.

Josh Hamilton doesn't need you to defend him.

Apparently he does, unfortunately.

I never even singled you out, I don't know why you're getting do defensive.

WhiteSox1989
08-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Apparently he does, unfortunately.

I never even singled you out, I don't know why you're getting do defensive.
I'm sorry. But I'm just saying I never passed judgment on him. I honestly don't even think it's a big deal. And the only reason I commented, like I said, was because he has kids and is married. That's all I commented on.

october23sp
08-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I don't like Josh Hamilton, the sports world treated him like a god last year. ESPN loved his story and I find it disturbing that he got more press than Jon Lester (A Red Sox player mind you!) who battled back from cancer.

08-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Need a tissue?

Did you even look at the pictures?????? It is pretty damn easy to pass judgement here. The guy is a lowlife.

october23sp
08-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Did you even look at the pictures?????? It is pretty damn easy to pass judgement here. The guy is a lowlife.

Yep, and somehow ESPN is going to make him the good guy in all this.:angry::angry:

Domeshot17
08-09-2009, 11:55 AM
This is that bull**** I'm talking about. Did Josh Hamilton order the making of books, tv documentaries and after school specials???

Yes he did, Hamilton has written a book about overcoming his addictions and getting back to baseball.

I don't have a problem with a man tripping up trying to get his life back on track. And I'm sure if he cheats on his wife, hes 1 of the 75-80% of pro baseball players who do. Clearly he is still trying to better himself.

But yes, I have a huge problem with him making a ton and getting a ton of press off something he is not.

twentywontowin
08-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Until any of you have dealt with a family member going through substance abuse recovery, your opinion doesn't mean ****.

It's a lifetime struggle which unfortunately Josh was starting to lose again. He realized the severity of his actions and immediately sought help for it. I'm not saying to embrace him with open arms and respect, but you have to give the man some credit for the determination to keep his life on track which many people are unable to do.

wsoxfan
08-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Anyone who calls him a lowlife for making a mistake show's what a complete moron they are. I'm sure you've never made a mistake in your life or done something against your better judgment. The man is only human, calling him a lowlife shows how little class you have...

Domeshot17
08-09-2009, 12:05 PM
Until any of you have dealt with a family member going through substance abuse recovery, your opinion doesn't mean ****.

It's a lifetime struggle which unfortunately Josh was starting to lose again. He realized the severity of his actions and immediately sought help for it. I'm not saying to embrace him with open arms and respect, but you have to give the man some credit for the determination to keep his life on track which many people are unable to do.

This is partially true, however doesn't need the high and mighty intro. Like I said, I have had family and friends go through this, most know someone who has. I don't have a problem with Josh slipping up. I feel for him, Hell the fact he doesn't hide and say oh yes I wasn't drinking though and says man I screwed up but I am still trying is awesome. Hes got the willpower to get through it. Like I said, I have no problem with any of this, I just think maybe he should pull the books and such off the shelves for a bit while he recovers. His story has a chance to be very insprational, but tell it after your career, when everytime you slip up won't make you look like a hypocrite.

TomParrish79
08-09-2009, 01:23 PM
those girls look like a ton of fun

08-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Anyone who calls him a lowlife for making a mistake show's what a complete moron they are. I'm sure you've never made a mistake in your life or done something against your better judgment. The man is only human, calling him a lowlife shows how little class you have...

The guy has a pretty crappy track record. Those pictures are absurd and beyond making a little mistake.

08-09-2009, 02:47 PM
The guy has a pretty crappy track record. Those pictures are absurd and beyond making a little mistake.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This thread itself has doubled my ignore list.

Soxman219
08-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't see anything bad in this really. He's just having fun with some hot women.

Rockabilly
08-09-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't see anything bad in this really. He's just having fun with some hot women.

would you want your girlfriend or wife having that same kind of fun with 2 men

Soxman219
08-09-2009, 06:18 PM

Good point.

InKennyWeTrust
08-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't like Josh Hamilton, the sports world treated him like a god last year. ESPN loved his story and I find it disturbing that he got more press than Jon Lester (A Red Sox player mind you!) who battled back from cancer.
Seriously? The guy had cancer in 2006, and after recovery in 2007 had big game victories in route to a World Championship. And you're saying they ignored him during all that?

rdwj
08-09-2009, 06:28 PM
The pictures are no worse than the ones of AJ a couple of years ago and I don't remember him getting much flack around here. I think Josh is a decent guy who has made some big mistakes. He seems to know he slipped up, so you have to give the guy some credit for owning up to it.

08-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Would I want a bunch of douche bags on a message board ridiculing her about it?

Boondock Saint
08-09-2009, 06:30 PM

That's what I've been thinking about the entire situation. Yeah, he ****ed up, and deserves some degree of **** for it. But he also owned up to it, and did so before it became a giant media mess. He very clearly regrets what he did, and it should end at that.

october23sp
08-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Seriously? The guy had cancer in 2006, and after recovery in 2007 had big game victories in route to a World Championship. And you're saying they ignored him during all that?

No, not ignored, but he didn't get as much press as he should have. I honestly wouldn't mind being reminded every day of what an inspiration Jon Lester is. Hamilton's story inspirational? what a joke.

08-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Looks like fun.

Need a tissue?

Actually he did write a book. Do your homework first.

Doubt it.

This thread itself has doubled my ignore list.

I would be grateful if you put me on your ignore list.

Would I want a bunch of douche bags on a message board ridiculing her about it?

:rolleyes:

DumpJerry
08-09-2009, 08:01 PM
At first, I was going to ask you if this was a typo. But then I read the whole thread and realized you are not alone among people who clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Rockabilly
08-09-2009, 08:06 PM
At first, I was going to ask you if this was a typo. But then I read the whole thread and realized you are not alone among people who clearly don't know what they are talking about.

Actually it is a typo.. my mistake thanks for pointing that out to me

gobears1987
08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
I have to agree with you on that one. I would understand if other people were just running away with Hamilton's story, but he has fed the entire thing and allowed himself to be soaked up in it.

The man is a charlatan. Nothing less and nothing more. I'm not even going to attack him for his mistakes as that is personal and between him and his family. However, selling his false story to us is nothing more than him being a charlatan.

I really do feel for his wife though having to see those pictures.

Boondock Saint
08-09-2009, 09:55 PM
I have to agree with you on that one. I would understand if other people were just running away with Hamilton's story, but he has fed the entire thing and allowed himself to be soaked up in it.

The man is a charlatan. Nothing less and nothing more. I'm not even going to attack him for his mistakes as that is personal and between him and his family. However, selling his false story to us is nothing more than him being a charlatan.

I really do feel for his wife though having to see those pictures.

What about his story is false?

Big D
08-09-2009, 10:03 PM
I don't think Hamilton has ever claimed that he's magically cured. Every quote I've ever seen from him has been about how it's a struggle to stay clean, and how he's taking it one day at a time. Honestly, if this is the worst relapse he has then he can consider himself lucky.

I wonder how much of the reaction to this story has to do with Hamilton's outspoken religious beliefs.

october23sp
08-09-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm not part of the "Hamilton is a liar" clan. I just don't think getting over substance abuse should be praised as much as it has been with him.

tstrike2000
08-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm not part of the "Hamilton is a liar" clan. I just don't think getting over substance abuse should be praised as much as it has been with him.

Yeah, me either. Those pictures looked bad, but he admitted to it and sounds like he's working through it. I hope he is able to, not because he's a baseball player and in the media, but because he's a person and I'm a person. We all make mistakes and I always root for people to overcome an addiction.

DumpJerry
08-09-2009, 11:28 PM
As someone who has represented hard core substance abusers for over a dozen years, let me just say 90% of the posts in this thread were written from an 100% perspective of ignorance about the subject. I'm not telling anyone to shut up, but it is quite entertaining to read what the experts here have to say.

I know this because nobody has posted about their personal struggles, just their observations of others' struggles. Someone who has fought the illness would not post the stuff that is in this thread. By the law of averages, there are substance abusers on this site. I have no clue who they might be and I'm not trying to find out who they are (and it cannot be gleaned from peoples posting styles, so don't start pointing fingers).

By the way, Hamilton has done an admirable job of fighting his illness and should be commended. Relapse is part of recovery.

captainclutch24
08-10-2009, 12:11 AM
I need to go to Tempe

tstrike2000
08-10-2009, 08:47 AM
As someone who has represented hard core substance abusers for over a dozen years, let me just say 90% of the posts in this thread were written from an 100% perspective of ignorance about the subject. I'm not telling anyone to shut up, but it is quite entertaining to read what the experts here have to say.

Speaking of judgments, before anymore are made, my dad was an alcoholic for many years and overcame it. A second cousin of mine could not overcome drugs and eventually died because of it. So it is good to see Hamilton continue to fight through this.

08-10-2009, 09:34 AM

You're right, he should have just kept using.

tstrike2000
08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Oops, in my post up above when I quoted "I'm not part of the "Hamilton is a liar" clan." I forgot to omit everything after it.

ewokpelts
08-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I imagine it's pretty easy to fall off the wagon when you're an athlete on the road a lot, without your aa sponsor or your family for long stretches at a time.

Oblong
08-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Jim Rome just said "Hamilton is not a hypocrite, he's a human." and that's spot on.

He'll fight this the rest of his life. He has some advantages and some disadvantages due to his place in life.

kittle42
08-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Jim Rome just said "Hamilton is not a hypocrite, he's a human." and that's spot on.

He'll fight this the rest of his life. He has some advantages and some disadvantages due to his place in life.

Wow - I have to actually agree with Jim Rome for once!

Some of the folks in this thread must enjoy their glass houses.

october23sp
08-10-2009, 12:28 PM
You're right, he should have just kept using.

Yep, that's exactly what I said. I hope he gets through it but I hate how the media picks and chooses what athletes that they will call "heroes" and then they have "villians" they seem to want to make out of people, some athletes would be scorned and looked down on, but for some reason Hamilton is praised for all of this. During the 2008 home run derby I actually missed Berman's "back back back" calls because all they were doing was drooling at the marvel that is Josh Hamilton.

As I have stated earlier, other athletes who had problems with illness aren't looked upon that greatly. Kenechi Udeze comes to mind, he had very life threatening cancer and he tried out again for an NFL team and made it through most of training camp before realizing he can't do that to his body anymore. But honestly, how many of you knew of the Udeze story before I just mentioned it. I only knew about it because I am on the internet too much and I am a Vikings fan.

08-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I said. I hope he gets through it but I hate how the media picks and chooses what athletes that they will call "heroes" and then they have "villians" they seem to want to make out of people, some athletes would be scorned and looked down on, but for some reason Hamilton is praised for all of this. During the 2008 home run derby I actually missed Berman's "back back back" calls because all they were doing was drooling at the marvel that is Josh Hamilton.

As I have stated earlier, other athletes who had problems with illness aren't looked upon that greatly. Kenechi Udeze comes to mind, he had very life threatening cancer and he tried out again for an NFL team and made it through most of training camp before realizing he can't do that to his body anymore. But honestly, how many of you knew of the Udeze story before I just mentioned it. I only knew about it because I am on the internet too much and I am a Vikings fan.

So hate the media!

It's clear you possess an absolutely warped perception of reality which means there is no reason to debate this any further.

AZChiSoxFan
08-10-2009, 02:41 PM

You had me at hello Kittle.

october23sp
08-10-2009, 02:42 PM
So hate the media!

It's clear you possess an absolutely warped perception of reality which means there is no reason to debate this any further.

Warped perception of reality? I'm supposed to applaud a man who over came problems he started himself?

To quote Dee from It's always sunny, "Those aren't real problems, Charlie". Replace Charlie with Josh.

AZChiSoxFan
08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I don't think Hamilton has ever claimed that he's magically cured. Every quote I've ever seen from him has been about how it's a struggle to stay clean, and how he's taking it one day at a time. Honestly, if this is the worst relapse he has then he can consider himself lucky.

I wonder how much of the reaction to this story has to do with Hamilton's outspoken religious beliefs.

Bingo.

08-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Warped perception of reality? I'm supposed to applaud a man who over came problems he started himself?

To quote Dee from It's always sunny, "Those aren't real problems, Charlie". Replace Charlie with Josh.

No one asked for an applause.

There are thousands of drug addicts who have no intention of stopping out there right now committing any number of horrific crimes while Josh is playing ball and raising money for charities. He slipped up, big ****ing deal. I commend Josh for his efforts to overcome addiction and wish him the best. Josh Hamilton has accomplished more in life thus far than you ever will. You're attitude wreaks of jealousy.

captainclutch24
08-10-2009, 03:04 PM
As a person with numerous friends and family members with alcohol and drug problems, it is an every day struggle for these people to try and remain sober and off the drugs that they were using. People slip up all the time, the hard part is once you slip up is getting away from it again.

october23sp
08-10-2009, 03:07 PM
I'm not going to post on the subject any more, I enjoy posting here at WSI and my unpopular opinions on the subject will eventually get me banned.

08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm not going to post on the subject any more, I enjoy posting here at WSI and my unpopular opinions on the subject will eventually get me banned.

Ignorant is exactly what your opinions on this subject are.

DumpJerry
08-10-2009, 03:12 PM
Let's dial it back and make things less personal here.

PatK
08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Hamilton's story inspirational? what a joke.

Only to those that have never themselves nor had a loved one have a problem with an addiction.

kittle42
08-10-2009, 03:34 PM
CM Punk is the straight-edge Superstar.

doublem23
08-10-2009, 03:49 PM
No, not ignored, but he didn't get as much press as he should have. I honestly wouldn't mind being reminded every day of what an inspiration Jon Lester is. Hamilton's story inspirational? what a joke.

Why can't they both be?

goon
08-10-2009, 03:59 PM
He probably shouldn't have posed for the pictures though.

areilly
08-10-2009, 04:11 PM
CM Punk is the straight-edge Superstar.

Maybe, but Ian MacKaye wrote the anthem.

Bobby Thigpen
08-10-2009, 04:45 PM
To do this to his wife is unforgivable and inexcusable. I don't care how "drunk" you are, you don't lose your sense of wrong and right. Especially for a man with such supposedly deeply held religious beliefs.

Whether you choose to follow them or not is the real question.

That's my biggest issue. I could care less what he does, but don't talk about your beliefs in something and then choose when to follow them.

kittle42
08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
That's my biggest issue. I could care less what he does, but don't talk about your beliefs in something and then choose when to follow them.

Practically everyone is a hypocrite in this regard to some degree, maybe not to Hamilton's (apparent) degree, but in some fashion.

FoulTerritory
08-10-2009, 05:01 PM

Your point is well stated IMHO. That the media construct narratives about celebrities, both positive and negative, to attract attention via the drama is obviously true. Its not really about hating the media, but merely being cognisant of the fact that the media has agenda.

I found it terribly annoying throughout the HR derby and all-star game last year that they were spending so much time developing this narrative about who Josh Hamilton is and what he is about, when really, who knows who he really is and what he does behind the scenes?

I don't hate the media, nor do I wish ill on Hamilton, but I think it is worth stating that I believe you correctly nail the media on this. They built a "hero" and now (esp ESPN) will continue to construct the narrative about Josh Hamilton.

Its really no different than the narrative about how we should all care about the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, or that Wrigley field is the new Eden . . . they perpetuate concepts to draw drama and interest, and ultimately, viewership.

kittle42
08-10-2009, 05:04 PM
Its really no different than the narrative about how we should all care about the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry, or that Wrigley field is the new Eden . . . they perpetuate concepts to draw drama and interest, and ultimately, viewership.

Bingo! The media create and the media teareth down.

08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Your point is well stated IMHO. That the media construct narratives about celebrities, both positive and negative, to attract attention via the drama is obviously true. Its not really about hating the media, but merely being cognisant of the fact that the media has agenda.

I found it terribly annoying throughout the HR derby and all-star game last year that they were spending so much time developing this narrative about who Josh Hamilton is and what he is about, when really, who knows who he really is and what he does behind the scenes?

I don't hate the media, nor do I wish ill on Hamilton, but I think it is worth stating that I believe you correctly nail the media on this. They built a "hero" and now (esp ESPN) will continue to construct the narrative about Josh Hamilton.

What is stupid is that Josh Hamilton is persecuted by the ignorant messageboard 'gods' for what the media portrays him to be.

Bobby Thigpen
08-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Practically everyone is a hypocrite in this regard to some degree, maybe not to Hamilton's (apparent) degree, but in some fashion.
Then those people are equally as bad of people. But not many of them have used the public stage that Hamilton has to push their beliefs.

kittle42
08-10-2009, 05:10 PM
What is stupid is that Josh Hamilton is persecuted by the ignorant messageboard 'gods' for what the media portrays him to be.

Will someone please think about the children!!!

kittle42
08-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Then those people are equally as bad of people. But not many of them have used the public stage that Hamilton has to push their beliefs.

Hey, I am with you on all that.

FoulTerritory
08-10-2009, 05:11 PM

I agree with that to an extent, but I don't think he is blameless, because he has so fervently embraced the narrative about how he is this symbol of human strength and overcoming adversity. I guess the one thing about Hamilton that I find annoying (and found annoying before the deadspin photos) is that Hamilton seems so hellbent on telling everyone about his triumph and strength (book deals, interviews, etc).

MarkZ35
08-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Well it was probably fun while it lasted.

october23sp
08-10-2009, 06:30 PM

I know I said I wouldn't comment anymore, but I feel the need to defend my opinions.

1. I don't claim to be a message board 'god' if that is what you were getting at.

2. Hamilton perpetuated what the media was making him out to be, yes the media deserves most of the blame for making him seem perfect when he's not (no one is, obviously).

3. As stated by some one before, you don't lose all of your judgment when you are drunk. He didn't forget he had a wife and kids. If this was pictures with him and a couple of his friends just taking shots and doing things guys do when they are drunk, I would be a lot less horrified about whether I was lied to or not.

4. The media (so I'm not blaming this point on Hamilton) is now trying to save face by making him look like the good guy despite what is obvious from the pictures.

08-10-2009, 08:48 PM
I know I said I wouldn't comment anymore, but I feel the need to defend my opinions.

1. I don't claim to be a message board 'god' if that is what you were getting at.

2. Hamilton perpetuated what the media was making him out to be, yes the media deserves most of the blame for making him seem perfect when he's not (no one is, obviously).

3. As stated by some one before, you don't lose all of your judgment when you are drunk. He didn't forget he had a wife and kids. If this was pictures with him and a couple of his friends just taking shots and doing things guys do when they are drunk, I would be a lot less horrified about whether I was lied to or not.

4. The media (so I'm not blaming this point on Hamilton) is now trying to save face by making him look like the good guy despite what is obvious from the pictures.

Your Josh Hamilton hatred is apparent, OK? You hate the guy. Congratulations.

MarkZ35
08-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Many other professional athletes do a lot worse than he did but only a few are recovering drug addicts like he is. So that is what makes this such a big story. If this was probably any of his teammates we wouldn't be talking about it right now. It's isn't his fault the media has hyped up his problems and his recovering.

doublem23
08-10-2009, 09:26 PM

FWIW, I don't ever get the notion from Hamilton that he's trying to push God and all that on everyone, the way that say it feels when Kurt Warner opens his mouth. I genuinely get the feeling from Hamilton that this just works for him and helps him stay (for the most part sober). The crap about WELL THEN WHY DID HE WRITE A BOOK is laughable, too. If any of us lead extraordinary lives, we'd all probably schlub out a couple pages if a publishing company parked a dump truck full of money in front of our houses.

The guy screwed up. In the realm of athletes behaving badly, licking some whipped cream off some girl's boobs isn't that big of a deal.

Gavin
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
FWIW, I don't ever get the notion from Hamilton that he's trying to push God and all that on everyone, the way that say it feels when Kurt Warner opens his mouth. I genuinely get the feeling from Hamilton that this just works for him and helps him stay (for the most part sober). The crap about WELL THEN WHY DID HE WRITE A BOOK is laughable, too. If any of us lead extraordinary lives, we'd all probably schlub out a couple pages if a publishing company parked a dump truck full of money in front of our houses.

The guy screwed up. In the realm of athletes behaving badly, licking some whipped cream off some girl's boobs isn't that big of a deal.

amen.

MarkZ35
08-10-2009, 09:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_v9RUE2nrw

Brian26
08-10-2009, 09:36 PM

Hamilton was not portrayed by the media as anything other than the part he was playing. Case in point, his constant references to his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ after such mundane things as hitting a lot of balls in a home run derby.

If you want to talk about stupid and ignorant, Hamilton's tatted up body full of 3rd grade artistry probably heads the list. He doesn't have to wait until he's 60 years old for those tats to make him look like a fool, mission already accomplished. :redneck

daveeym
08-10-2009, 10:25 PM

I'm disappointed in the quality of the ladies quite honestly. I've seen Kittle42 doing body shots off hotter ladies than that, and that's after he insulted them over their grammar and for being Cub fans.

doublem23
08-10-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm disappointed in the quality of the ladies quite honestly. I've seen Kittle42 doing body shots off hotter ladies than that, and that's after he insulted them over their grammar and for being Cub fans.

You got to know how to play the game, hot girls with low self-esteem love it when you treat them like crap. :wink:

kittle42
08-11-2009, 02:42 PM

I paid good money for those ladies, thank you!

white sox bill
08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
I paid good money for those ladies, thank you!

Kittle we need to tip a few sometime, someplace!!

TheVulture
08-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't get it - if I'm a recovering crack addict, I can't drink either? Seems like not smoking crack would be the main thing.

AZChiSoxFan
08-11-2009, 06:54 PM

Kittle, you are rapidly becoming one of my favorite WSI personalities. :redface:

What you wrote here is the absolute truth. All of us are hypocrites to one degree or another.

dickallen15
08-11-2009, 06:54 PM
I don't get it - if I'm a recovering crack addict, I can't drink either? Seems like not smoking crack would be the main thing.
I could be wrong but I think he's an alcoholic as well.

Carolina Kenny
08-11-2009, 07:53 PM
Hamilton was not portrayed by the media as anything other than the part he was playing. Case in point, his constant references to his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ after such mundane things as hitting a lot of balls in a home run derby.

If you want to talk about stupid and ignorant, Hamilton's tatted up body full of 3rd grade artistry probably heads the list. He doesn't have to wait until he's 60 years old for those tats to make him look like a fool, mission already accomplished. :redneck

I agree. He set himself up. His tat's will look awesome at 60.
He belongs with the Rockies, their Lord is a Baseball Lord.

BoysMom3
08-11-2009, 08:05 PM

Oh, I'll bet you about $800,000 it's a real big deal to his wife. It would be a big deal to anyone's spouse - he cheated on her. I'm surprised that people can get away with acting like that in a public place and not get kicked out, actually.

Josh does seem like a genuine guy, imo, and he does seem sincerely sorry. I hope the very best for him and hope he will continue to overcome. I thought it boded well that he came forward to the right people the very next day.

kittle42
08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
He belongs with the Rockies, their Lord is a baseball Lord.

potw.

Martinigirl
08-12-2009, 05:43 PM

If you are addict, you are an addict. If you go to an NA meeting you are told you can't just quite your drug of choice, you have to quit all drugs and alcohol. If you have an addictive personality, you can't control your urges. And if you are drunk, you are much less likely to be able to maintain your sobriety because your impulse control is impaired by the alcohol.

captainclutch24
08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Oh, I'll bet you about $800,000 it's a real big deal to his wife. It would be a big deal to anyone's spouse - he cheated on her. I'm surprised that people can get away with acting like that in a public place and not get kicked out, actually.

I am sure his wife is pissed but I do not consider that cheating. Because if that is cheating, then getting a lap dance from a stripper is cheating if you are in a relationship by your definition.

Boondock Saint
08-12-2009, 08:32 PM
I am sure his wife is pissed but I do not consider that cheating. Because if that is cheating, then getting a lap dance from a stripper is cheating if you are in a relationship by your definition.

Some people do consider that cheating.

captainclutch24
08-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I hope all her husband/boyfriends friends are married or have lame ass bachelor parties

doublem23
08-12-2009, 10:38 PM
I hope all her husband/boyfriends friends are married or have lame ass bachelor parties

Well, the whole cheating thing is a lot more personal, people have very different tolerances for what they consider cheating and what they don't. I really don't know if I would consider this cheating or not, but on a purely subjective level, when you have pro athletes out there running people over while they drive drunk, beating up cab drivers, etc. I'm really not going to get all upset over this.

CrushinOnCrede
08-15-2009, 10:41 AM

Oh my gosh!!! :o: So YOU'RE the one who dictates what constitutes a good bachelor party versus a "lame ass" one!!! I never knew!!!

Mohoney
08-15-2009, 10:17 PM
If you are addict, you are an addict. If you go to an NA meeting you are told you can't just quite your drug of choice, you have to quit all drugs and alcohol. If you have an addictive personality, you can't control your urges. And if you are drunk, you are much less likely to be able to maintain your sobriety because your impulse control is impaired by the alcohol.

Exactly. Theoretically, an addict is not supposed to replace one addiction with another.

I agree with Vulture that it's a good thing that he didn't smoke crack, but there are claims that he was inquiring about cocaine on the night in question, and I'm sure that being drunk only accelerated that urge.