PDA

View Full Version : Could the Cardinals return to KMOX?

Viva Medias B's
08-08-2009, 09:34 AM
There may be nothing to this, given the fact that it's coming off of message board speculation, but it appears they could be rumbles in St. Louis that the Cardinals may return to KMOX-AM (1120) within the next couple of years. They left "The Voice of St. Louis" after the 2005 season for KTRS-AM (500). However, "The Big 550" is anything but at night unlike KMOX and its 50,000-watt clear channel signal. The Cardinals own a 50% stake in KTRS, but the team may dump that money losing asset in their possible return to KMOX.

Link (http://www.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=650014)

MarkM2112
08-08-2009, 04:02 PM
They never should have left KMOX...

PKalltheway
08-08-2009, 08:18 PM
They never should have left KMOX...
Agreed.

MeteorsSox4367
08-08-2009, 10:00 PM
With the Cardinals being one of my favorite teams, I always enjoyed listening to the games when KMOX would come in clearly at night.

Someone else mentioned that their current station is partially owned by the Cardinals, but KMOX is so much more powerful and would enable them to reach more people.

Fenway
08-08-2009, 11:30 PM
It is hard to figure out what CBS Radio wants to do with local baseball.

They still carry games on major 50,000 watt stations like
WCBS New York
WFAN New York
WSCR Chicago
WPHT Philadelphia
WTIC Hartford

But they have also walked away from
KDKA Pittsburgh
WCCO Minneapolis

Now there are rumors they may get the Red Sox next year for WBZ to augment the new sports station that CBS will launch next week in Boston WBZ-FM which will replace WBCN which was hard rock for 41 years and has the Patriots and Bruins locked up.

It really seems to depend on the market

Viva Medias B's
08-09-2009, 08:11 AM
It is hard to figure out what CBS Radio wants to do with local baseball.

They still carry games on major 50,000 watt stations like
WCBS New York
WFAN New York
WSCR Chicago
WPHT Philadelphia
WTIC Hartford

But they have also walked away from
KDKA Pittsburgh
WCCO Minneapolis

Now there are rumors they may get the Red Sox next year for WBZ to augment the new sports station that CBS will launch next week in Boston WBZ-FM which will replace WBCN which was hard rock for 41 years and has the Patriots and Bruins locked up.

It really seems to depend on the market

I think it was generally under the Holander brothers' reign of terror over CBS Radio that the Cardinals left KMOX. I think current CBS Radio management has seen the error of those ways.