PDA

View Full Version : *Official* 8-6 Heads Weren't Screwed On Postgame Thread

thomas35forever
08-06-2009, 05:07 PM
I know the PPDCs hate this saying, but we won the series.

Harry Potter
08-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Who needs a sweep? :scratch:

VeeckAsInWreck
08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Still chasing that elusive sweep. It's cool though. It's a series win.

whitesoxfan
I know the PPDCs hate this saying, but we won the series.

Exactly. Plus we have the Toons coming to town. Let's take care of business this weekend and everything will be fine.

GoGoCrede
Got out of class early to see that we lost. Nothing much to say, really. Something's up with Danks.

35th and Shields
08-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Got out of class early to see that we lost. Nothing much to say, really. Something's up with Danks.

Hopefully it has nothing to do with his finger as it's just a little rough patch.

Blueprint1
08-06-2009, 05:13 PM
Tigers won their game. I was hoping to be in first place today. Were two games back again.

Rohan
0-5 when trying to complete a sweep at home :?:

BleacherBandit
The Indians are a joke. Let's sweep them.

#1swisher
08-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I'll take winning the series:D: Danks hasn't been the same since his blister,per chuck garfein

whitesoxfan
08-06-2009, 05:14 PM
The Indians are a joke. Let's sweep them.

Well, they did take 2 of 3 from both the Tigers and Twins this past week. We can't afford to overlook them.

Hitmen77
08-06-2009, 05:22 PM
0-5 when trying to complete a sweep at home :?:

....and we drop to 2 games out of first.:mad:

Domeshot17
08-06-2009, 05:23 PM
This team just can not close out. It has been the biggest knock on the White Sox basically starting in 2006. We just never seem to have the killer instinct needed to finish a series. I will take the win, but winning series or not we are still 2 back.

This one really sucked because we basically gave away get away day. The offense put up 5 runs but was pretty pathetic with 2 outs and runners in scoring position. Left a ton of men on base. Still, we put up 4 runs with a bad offense and Danks still buried us.

Gotta be better than this

soxyess
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
What about putting Danks on the DL let that blister heal, and bring up Hudson?

JB98
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
....and we drop to 2 games out of first.:mad:

Look at it this way:

The last seven games, the Sox had four against NYY and three against LAA. Detroit had three against CLE and four against BAL.

Record in those seven games:
Sox 5-2
Detroit 4-3

The Sox picked up a game during a stretch where the schedule favored the Tigers. Now, Detroit is playing Minnesota this weekend. Someone has to lose, so that favors the Sox. They need to hammer Cleveland this weekend.

JB98
08-06-2009, 05:25 PM

No. We're trying to win a division here.

Rohan
08-06-2009, 05:26 PM

And if half the hits off Danks are home runs we're not doing much good at winning...

Lip Man 1
08-06-2009, 05:28 PM
It's frustrating that the Sox simply can't finish things. It doesn't matter if the opponent is good, bad or mediocre.

That's part of the reason this team with all this talent is only three games over mediocrity.

And these errors (now mental as well as physical) are killing them.

Lip

soxyess
08-06-2009, 05:29 PM

If the blister is keeping him from pitching right then we'll lose anyway. let it heal and will take our chances with the rookie. Its only 2-3 starts

Dick Allen
08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
The pitching matchup appeared to favor the Sox today. Just can't complete these sweeps.

shingo10
08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
I think tomorrow starts the biggest series of the year. The Indians are kind of hot right now but with the Tigers-Twins battling each other, it is crucial for us to take 2 out of 3.

This is one weekend where we don't need to do a whole lot of scoreboard watching. If we win we're gaining on somebody.

Bad start for Danks today, just have to shake it off. Got to be encouraged by the 5-2 mark against the league's best.

hawkjt
08-06-2009, 05:31 PM
I have not heard Danks or Coop mention the blister lately.
He is out of his groove, no doubt, since the blister,at Minny.
Just have to bear with it. He will be back as long as he is healthy.

Just another tough day at the office for the whole team,really.
JD is in a funk,offensively and defensively.
Castro is a black hole on offense.
Pods and Gordo do not go, the offense struggles usually.
Santana found his breaking ball for strikes after the third and we did not adjust.
Go get the tribe and hope that the Twins take 2 of 3 vs tigers.

soxyess
08-06-2009, 05:33 PM
Dye does not look good at all lately. Physically and mentally. I dont know if he's tired or hurt. Ozzie needs to find out whats wrong with him. Maybe he needs a few days off.

spawn
Look at it this way:

The last seven games, the Sox had four against NYY and three against LAA. Detroit had three against CLE and four against BAL.

Sox 5-2
Detroit 4-3

The Sox picked up a game during a stretch where the schedule favored the Tigers. Now, Detroit is playing Minnesota this weekend. Someone has to lose, so that favors the Sox. They need to hammer Cleveland this weekend.
Thank you. After that disaterous road trip, and with Detroit playing Baltimore and Cleveland while we were playing the two best teams in the AL in the Yankees and Angels, going 5-2 and being only 2 games out is a reason to rejoice. I would've loved to see a sweep, but if the Sox continue to win series, they will be just fine. They just need to beat the teams that are struggling just as they did the Yankees and Angels.

DickAllen72
Exactly. Today's loss against the first place, red hot Angels isn't that big of a deal. However, a lot of those games the Sox blew against lesser teams earlier in the season are coming back to bite them.

The Sox need to get their act together and dominate the lesser teams starting this weekend.

I wish they could do something to tighten up that horrid defense. That's their Achilles and what's keeping them from looking like bona fide World series contenders.

JB98
08-06-2009, 05:34 PM
And if half the hits off Danks are home runs we're not doing much good at winning...

He'll get it straightened out. It's one bad outing. His struggling outing is still better than anything we got in the minors.

whitesoxfan
08-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Look at it this way:

Sox 5-2
Detroit 4-3

That's the way I'm looking at it too.

JB98
08-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Thank you. After that disaterous road trip, and with Detroit playing Baltimore and Cleveland while we were playing the two best teams in the AL in the Yankees and Angels, going 5-2 and being only 2 games out is a reason to rejoice. I would've loved to see a sweep, but if the Sox continue to win series, they will be just fine. They just need to beat the teams that are struggling just as they did the Yankees and Angels.

Yes, this homestand has been excellent so far. The last road trip is the reason the Sox are two games out of first place. Today's loss to one of the best teams in the American League, while disappointing, is not a major concern.

The Sox have not only held their ground, they've picked up a game during a very difficult stretch of seven games.

spawn
08-06-2009, 05:36 PM
Hudson hasn't thrown an inning in AAA and you want him to pitch in the Majors? That would be extremely irresponsible on the part of Sox Management. There is absolutely no need to panic, and that move would indicate panic.

Law11
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Dye does not look good at all lately. Physically and mentally. I dont know if he's tired or hurt. Ozzie needs to find out whats wrong with him. Maybe he needs a few days off.

I agree he just seems mentally not there of late. Give him a few days off.

Hitmen77
08-06-2009, 05:41 PM
Look at it this way:

Sox 5-2
Detroit 4-3

I agree. After that disastrous 1-6 road trip, the fact that we're still ahead of the Twins and only 2 behind of the Tigers is pretty incredible. Taking 5 of 7 from the 2 hottest teams in the league is great too.

....still it's disappointing to lose ground and disappointing to see Danks get roughed up. Hopefully Danks gets back on track. IMO to win this division, we're going to need Buehrle, Floyd, AND Danks (and Peavy when he returns) to be pitching well these last 2 months.

JB98
08-06-2009, 05:51 PM
I agree. After that disastrous 1-6 road trip, the fact that we're still ahead of the Twins and only 2 behind of the Tigers is pretty incredible. Taking 5 of 7 from the 2 hottest teams in the league is great too.

....still it's disappointing to lose ground and disappointing to see Danks get roughed up. Hopefully Danks gets back on track. IMO to win this division, we're going to need Buehrle, Floyd, AND Danks (and Peavy when he returns) to be pitching well these last 2 months.

Oh, no doubt. We need all four starters to win this thing. Danks just needs to start trusting his stuff again. He's gotta throw his cutter more. I know that caused the blister, but he can't be shying away from that pitch. It's a big pitch for him. My message to John would be, "Don't be tentative. Turn it loose."

fox23
08-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Look at it this way:

Sox 5-2
Detroit 4-3

The Sox picked up a game during a stretch where the schedule favored the Tigers.

That's nice and all, but you better get used to that the rest of the season. The Sox have a much tougher schedule than the Tigers these last months.

chisox12
08-06-2009, 06:14 PM
I really thought they were going to finish a sweep for once today. Oh well, I'll take 2 out of 3 from the Angels anytime. JD needs to get his head out of his a**. That's 2 bone-head plays in consecutive games.

SoxFan1979
08-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Lets beat the indios. 3 game sweep I'm calling it :smile:

JB98
08-06-2009, 06:22 PM
That's nice and all, but you better get used to that the rest of the season. The Sox have a much tougher schedule than the Tigers these last months.

Thanks for the lecture.

It will come down to the last couple weeks, when AL Central teams are playing head-to-head. I don't anticipate anyone pulling away. None of these clubs are strong enough to pull away.

chisox12
08-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the lecture.

It will come down to the last couple weeks, when AL Central teams are playing head-to-head. I don't anticipate anyone pulling away. None of these clubs are strong enough to pull away.

I definitely dont see any of these 3 teams pulling away. This is going down to the wire.

BadBobbyJenks
08-06-2009, 06:31 PM
5 out of 7 from the top 2 in the American League? I will take that.

5 cupcakes in a row coming up? I will take that. (and I dont care that two of those teams are on the west coast, that is nonsense.)

SoxSpeed22
08-06-2009, 06:47 PM
Losing like this always sucks. Let's just get Cleveland tomorrow.

decolores9628
08-06-2009, 06:50 PM
5 out of 7 from the top 2 in the American League? I will take that.

5 cupcakes in a row coming up? I will take that. (and I dont care that two of those teams are on the west coast, that is nonsense.)

Seattle is actually OK this year. Certainly no cupcake.

Martinigirl
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
If somone would have told us that we would have taken 5 out of 7 vs. the Yankees and Angels, we all would have been thrilled, so I am just going to focus on that.

And now we need to beat up on a team we should be able to have our way with. Fingers crossed.

BadBobbyJenks
08-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Seattle is actually OK this year. Certainly no cupcake.

Who are they going to throw at us besides Felix that is going to worry you now that Washburn is gone?

shingo10
08-06-2009, 07:05 PM
One good thing is on paper Detroit should have a challenging next few series. Playing within the division is always tough but then they are to Boston for 4 and that seems as good as time as any to make our move.

doublem23
08-06-2009, 07:08 PM
As best I can remember, the Sox haven't won a game for me since April, 2007. So, in advance, I'm sorry to everyone holding a ticket for the 17th against the Royals.

whitesoxfan1986
08-06-2009, 07:58 PM
Is it just me or has Danks lost a few ticks on his FB since the blister? I seem to recall him pitching in the 90-92 mph range before the blister, and most of the starts since coming off the blister injury, he has been in the high 80s, and in the previous start to this one I saw his fastball hit 85-86 a few times.

JB98
08-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Is it just me or has Danks lost a few ticks on his FB since the blister? I seem to recall him pitching in the 90-92 mph range before the blister, and most of the starts since coming off the blister injury, he has been in the high 80s, and in the previous start to this one I saw his fastball hit 85-86 a few times.

Ehhh...he was throwing high 80s when he blanked the Cubs for seven innings. I don't think velocity is a major problem for him. He's not throwing his cutter enough, not trusting it, since the blister problem. At least that's my opinion. Cooper probably has a better idea what's wrong with Danks.

Over By There
08-06-2009, 08:39 PM
This was likely my only game in-person this year, so kind of disappointing. On the other hand, I snagged a foul ball for my 5-year-old son (first I've ever gotten), so that was really cool. Only being 5, he was totally unimpressed. :D:

CHISOXFAN13
08-06-2009, 08:55 PM

Much tougher? Hardly. Both teams have to play three in LA still. The Sox have eight with the Red Sox and three with NY. The Tigers have seven with TB and four at Boston and three more with the Twins than we do.

It's a very similar schedule now that this 18-game stretch is over.

GoGoCrede
08-06-2009, 09:07 PM
As best I can remember, the Sox haven't won a game for me since April, 2007. So, in advance, I'm sorry to everyone holding a ticket for the 17th against the Royals.

You HAD to choose the game I'm taking my parents to, didn't you?! :tongue:

ViPeRx007
08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
At least Thursday D-Wise showed up to play!

Thursday July 23
"The Catch" to save the Perfect Game

Thursday, July 30
Game winning RBI in the bottom of the 9th

Thursday, August 6
Broke the longest pinch-hit RBI drought since 1978 with a homer

HALL OF FAME!

doublem23
08-06-2009, 09:52 PM
You HAD to choose the game I'm taking my parents to, didn't you?! :tongue:

I'm twice removed from the blame; you can blame my uncle first, who gave 2 tickets to my dad for his birthday, and then on my dad, who'd rather go to the game with me than my Cub-fan mother. :cool:

Mohoney
08-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Now, Detroit is playing Minnesota this weekend. Someone has to lose, so that favors the Sox. They need to hammer Cleveland this weekend.

I would rather it be Minnesota that loses. I would like this to get down to 2 teams as quickly as possible.

TheOldRoman
08-07-2009, 10:03 AM
Hudson hasn't thrown an inning in AAA and you want him to pitch in the Majors? That would be extremely irresponsible on the part of Sox Management. There is absolutely no need to panic, and that move would indicate panic.While I don't want Hudson called up, Buehrle hasn't thrown a single inning in AAA, either.

jabrch
08-07-2009, 10:15 AM
While I don't want Hudson called up, Buehrle hasn't thrown a single inning in AAA, either.

Your best prospects don't always go to AAA.

#1swisher
08-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Not to change the subject...who was Thursday's PTC? Can't find it.

voodoochile
08-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Not to change the subject...who was Thursday's PTC? Can't find it.

I can't either. I assume it wasn't posted. I've put one up, but it may be taken down if there's another thread I am missing...