PDA

View Full Version : Update on Bobby Jenks

hawkjt
08-06-2009, 01:27 PM
Shuster on the Score reported that they had to do the invasive surgery on Bobby to get the stone...so he is out til monday at least...ouch.

voodoochile
08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I moved your post because I thought it deserved it's own thread.

gogosox16
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Should put him on the DL, and let him recover fully. Much rather have him feeling healthy and strong for the stretch run while the Sox could add another arm for the time being

VeeckAsInWreck
08-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Should put him on the DL, and let him recover fully. Much rather have him feeling healthy and strong for the stretch run while the Sox could add another arm for the time being

Good point. Couldn't the team make a retroactive DL move?

voodoochile
08-06-2009, 01:35 PM
He pitched on the 1st so he'd have to be out until the 17th. They can make that decision on Saturday when Torres comes up. If Bobby really can be back by Monday then they can send down Nunez. If not then they might do that and keep Nunez for an extra arm.

jabrch
08-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Good point. Couldn't the team make a retroactive DL move?

yes - back to the worthless inning on 8/1 he threw in the 14-4 blowout vs NY. So we'd lose him for the rest of this week, and all of next week. Still might be the right thing to do.

cbone
08-06-2009, 01:41 PM
As a veteran of that procedure, my sympathies go out to Bobby. He is not pitching for a while. :(:

voodoochile
08-06-2009, 01:44 PM
As a veteran of that procedure, my sympathies go out to Bobby. He is not pitching for a while. :(:

How long ago? There have been huge advancements in making minimal incisions to deal with minor surgical issues like this. Heck, people are walking out of the hospital the next day after they had a kidney removed now a days.

SoxGirl4Life
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
How long ago? There have been huge advancements in making minimal incisions to deal with minor surgical issues like this. Heck, people are walking out of the hospital the next day after they had a kidney removed now a days.

They don't "cut" anything. They go get the stone, invasively. That's already TMI, so I'll leave it at that.

GoGoCrede
08-06-2009, 01:48 PM
They don't "cut" anything. They go get the stone, invasively. That's already TMI, so I'll leave it at that.

There's a Friends episode about this...:redneck

Jimmy Piersall
08-06-2009, 01:49 PM

This is where fathers jump in and say something like "in my day,they used
a hammer,pliers,and a box cutter for things like this".In any case,rest up
big boy we need you healthy.

cbone
08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
2 years ago, I am obviously guessing but it sounds like he couldn't be treated with shockwaves. So he gets this instead.

No incision is made in this procedure. Instead, the surgeon passes a small fiberoptic instrument called a ureteroscope through the urethra and bladder into the ureter. The surgeon then locates the stone and either removes it with a cage-like device or shatters it with a special instrument that produces a form of shock wave.

Laymen's terms they insert a tube into the tip of your manhood stick it all the way into your bladder to try and grab and remove the stone or shatter it. And then they leave a stent in so you can pass what's left of the stone. It's kind of like driving the wrong way down a one way street. No fun.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2009, 01:57 PM
:?:?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-06-white-sox-bits-chicago-aug06,0,3501207.story

Lip

MushMouth
08-06-2009, 01:59 PM
2 years ago, I am obviously guessing but it sounds like he couldn't be treated with shockwaves. So he gets this instead.

No incision is made in this procedure. Instead, the surgeon passes a small fiberoptic instrument called a ureteroscope through the urethra and bladder into the ureter. The surgeon then locates the stone and either removes it with a cage-like device or shatters it with a special instrument that produces a form of shock wave.

Laymen's terms they insert a tube into the tip of your manhood stick it all the way into your bladder to try and grab and remove the stone or shatter it. And then they leave a stent in so you can pass what's left of the stone. It's kind of like driving the wrong way down a one way street. No fun.

:whiner:

SoxGirl4Life
08-06-2009, 02:00 PM

See. That's the description I was trying to avoid. :D:

cbone
08-06-2009, 02:02 PM
See. That's the description I was trying to avoid. :D:

Sorry.

SoxGirl4Life
08-06-2009, 02:04 PM
Sorry.

No need to be sorry. And i'm sorry anyone has to go through that

Iwritecode
08-06-2009, 02:09 PM
:?:?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-06-white-sox-bits-chicago-aug06,0,3501207.story

Lip

Yea, I read that earlier too. Which is it, Monday or Friday?

Jim Shorts
08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Can we delete this entire thread now?

My stomach aches, as well as some other parts.

All we really need to know is if he is okay and can he pitch this weekend.

I'm going to go vomit now.

DeuceUnit
08-06-2009, 04:30 PM
This thread is a good reminder to drink plenty of water and beer because both keep kidney stones away. :gulp: Too much cheese doesn't help the cause either. :redneck

Woofer
08-06-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope that Bobby was put under, I think I would have to be. Rest up, Bad Bobby, we need our closer back healthy.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-06-2009, 04:53 PM
This thread is a good reminder to drink plenty of water and beer because both keep kidney stones away. :gulp: Too much cheese doesn't help the cause either. :redneck

I had just eaten some pizza before reading this thread again. After reading your post I drank a bottle of water. :gulp:

GoGoCrede
08-06-2009, 05:15 PM

Cranberry juice helps as well. My mother had kidney stones as well, and passed them herself by downing a ton of cranberry juice and water. She's a tough one.

SoxGirl4Life
08-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Cranberry juice helps as well. My mother had kidney stones as well, and passed them herself by downing a ton of cranberry juice and water. She's a tough one.

Its easier for girls, though, too.

GoGoCrede
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Its easier for girls, though, too.

Shh, she prefers to believe she's Superman. :D:

SoxGirl4Life
08-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Shh, she prefers to believe she's Superman. :D:

She is.

GoGoCrede
08-06-2009, 05:28 PM
She is.

Obviously. She made it through my teenage years without murdering me. :redneck Kidney stones are nothin' compared to that.

Get well soon, Jenks.

35th and Shields
08-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Woah, wait a second, do all dairy products raise your chances of kidney stones?

VeeckAsInWreck
08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Let's all learn a little something about kidney stones (http://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/kidney-stones-cause) over a tall glass of water.

SoxGirl4Life
08-06-2009, 05:44 PM
Woah, wait a second, do all dairy products raise your chances of kidney stones?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone

GeauxSox
08-06-2009, 09:33 PM
I've had several, my urologist said emphatically to drink a large glass of water first thing everything morning. This I do.

gobears1987
08-06-2009, 09:56 PM

I was much happier before I read this post. Just reading that made me hurt.

GoGoCrede
08-06-2009, 11:59 PM
I was much happier before I read this post. Just reading that made me hurt.

I was just informed by my mother that my aunt, cousin, and grandmother had kidney stones as well. I'm off to buy some stock in Aquafina... :o:

gobears1987
08-07-2009, 12:46 AM
I was just informed by my mother that my aunt, cousin, and grandmother had kidney stones as well. I'm off to buy some stock in Aquafina... :o:
I'm drinking tea right now since I figure I might as well get as much water in me as I can. I'll be shocked if I never get kidney stones at some point in my life.

Zisk77
08-07-2009, 12:57 AM

What if I had cheese in my Beer?:scratch:

Boondock Saint
08-07-2009, 01:05 AM
What if I had cheese in my Beer?:scratch:

http://scrapetv.com/News/News%20Pages/Science/Images/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

Mmm...cheddarbrau...

WizardsofOzzie
08-07-2009, 01:18 AM
Good thing I down about 2 gallons of water a day! :gulp: Of course I have to pee every 20 minutes!! :mad:

ode to veeck
08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
wish you the best recovery big bad bobby jenks!

35th and Shields
08-07-2009, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know about what percent of people get kidney stones?

UChicagoHP
08-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Does anyone know about what percent of people get kidney stones?

No idea, but I remember my doctor telling me they were more common than many people thought, and are mainly caused by a bad diet/deficiency(at least mine were, in his opinion). The pain is about as bad as it gets, the worst of the worst comparable to child-birth(again, in my doc's opinion ladies!). However, if you notice the symptoms early enough, and have a compassionate doctor, ideally one who has experienced the passing of a stone in the past, you will get hooked up with the niftiest opiate-based pain-killers on the market.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone#Epidemiology

This suggests(the epidemiology section) 10-15% of the US population will pass a stone at some point. I'd wager that more than a few of us have passed tiny stones without noticing much, if any, discomfort. It's the marbles(and the second one I had wasn't much smaller than a marble, I'm about to cry just thinking about the experience) that can put a big man like Bobby Jenks on the shelf for quite some time.

35th and Shields
08-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Ok, thank you UChicagoHP.