SEA: 2-1
TEX: 2-4
LAA: 4-1
CHC: 3-2
LAD: 2-1
NYY: 3-1

Sox vs. teams with .500 record: 5-7
MIN: 5-7

Interesting, the Sox play much better against winning teams. It really does seem like we play to our competition. Of course, the stats lie in some areas. Milwaukee and Cincinatti had winning records when we played them and Toronto had the best record in the AL when we played them, but all three teams have fallen off a lot since then. Even if you switch those teams to the other columns, we still have a decent record against good teams and a bad record against the dregs of the leagues.

The most glaring thing about seeing our schedule laid out like this is that we need to do much better against our division. We only have a winning record against Cleveland, and it's a pretty pedestrian 7-5. We have done pretty well against the elite teams of the other divisions though (with the exception of Texas), which is something the Twins and Tigers have mostly been unable to do.

All this has done has made me more confused as to how good this team really is. We've dominated the Rays, Yankees, and Angels (13-4), but we struggle against the Royals, A's, and Blue Jays (8-15). :scratch:

EDIT: Somehow I've missed a few games. I'm going back through the schedule now. Corrections to follow.

EDIT 2: I missed one win vs. the Royals, everything should be right now.

JB98
08-05-2009, 05:05 PM
This has been one of the most unusual seasons of White Sox baseball I've seen. There's no explaining the goings-on this year.

Thatguyoverthere
08-05-2009, 05:18 PM
This has been one of the most unusual seasons of White Sox baseball I've seen. There's no explaining the goings-on this year.This team has been so up and down it's crazy. Hell, considering our .580 winning percentage against winning teams and .480 winning percentage against losing teams, perhaps it's a good thing we're playing the toughest part of our schedule in the second half. The Sox do seem to "get up" for the better teams.

Hitmen77
08-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Are these teams that are below .500 now or below .500 when the Sox played them? Maybe I'm not remembering the Blue Jays games because I'm trying to block them out of my memory, but weren't the Jays one of the hottest teams when we played them back in May?

Weren't most of those losses to Cleveland way back before they imploded for the season? Even KC was hot when we faced them in April (though that's no excuse for splitting that series with them in early July!)

This has been one of the most unusual seasons of White Sox baseball I've seen. There's no explaining the goings-on this year.

I totally agree. I still haven't figured out this team. Barely over .500....but they look unbeatable for stretches and look totally dead during other stretches.

esbrechtel
08-05-2009, 05:27 PM
They flashed a stat on the scoreboard that is just insane. With 2 outs and a man in scoring position Beckham is 11 for 21 :o:. That is ridiculous....

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-05-2009, 06:46 PM
I was actually going to start a thread earlier today asking for someone to do this...interesting finds....

Jogurt
08-10-2009, 09:07 AM
As of today, the Sox are 30-35 against losing teams, good enough to rank 29th (ahead of Pittsburgh) in winning percentage for that category. Only 7 teams have a losing record against losing teams.

Against winning teams they are 27-20, good enough to rank 2nd behind Texas in all of MLB. They are one of only 6 teams with a winning record against winning teams.

FYI, The AL average against a losing team is around a .575 winning percentage.

wilburaga
08-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Here's another curious stat - the Sox are 13-22 in last games of series. I guess that can be partially explained by getaway day games/bench usage, but if we were just splitting these games we'd be in first place.

W

Lip Man 1
08-10-2009, 01:18 PM
A lot of similarities to the 2006 club especially against teams with losing records.

Lip

ode to veeck
08-10-2009, 02:40 PM
A lot of similarities to the 2006 club especially against teams with losing records.

Lip

too much of the season left to make the measurement
this team still has a lot more potential than the '06 club ever did

Lip Man 1
08-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Ode:

Only because the division is measurably worse than in 2006.

Man for man the 2006 club is better than this one.

Lip

ode to veeck
08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Ode:

Only because the division is measurably worse than in 2006.

Man for man the 2006 club is better than this one.

Lip

the '06 bullpen totally sucked other than we had a closer

when this team is on, the only real consistent hole is the defense is inconsistent, especially with the young infielders

Lip Man 1
08-10-2009, 06:02 PM
You forgot two starting rotation spots.

Lip

Dibbs
08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
too much of the season left to make the measurement
this team still has a lot more potential than the '06 club ever did

2006 team was better. If we win 90 games, we win the division.