PDA

View Full Version : Sox selling unused tickets for Perfect game

SOXfnNlansing
08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
Got this email, thought it was kind of strange that they would sell them for face value. Thoughts?

TICKETS FROM MARK BUEHRLE'S PERFECT GAME NOW AVAILABLE
White Sox Fans Have Opportunity to Purchase Unsold 'Perfect Game' Tickets

CHICAGO - A limited-number of unsold tickets from Mark Buehrle's Perfect Game have been made available for purchase online at whitesox.com and at the U.S. Cellular Field ticket office.

The unsold tickets from the July 23 game vs. Tampa Bay are printed on official White Sox ticket stock. The majority of the available tickets are in the Upper Deck and prices range from $23 to $57 (plus shipping, if applicable). Mark Buehrle's Perfect Game tickets are souvenir items that cannot be used or exchanged for any future White Sox games. Fans are encouraged to purchase the perfect game tickets soon as quantities are limited. Tickets will be shipped to the purchaser's chosen mailing address when purchased online.

The White Sox will celebrate Mark Buehrle's historic perfect game and Major League Baseball (MLB) record-setting streak of 45 consecutive batters retired during the upcoming series vs. the Los Angeles of Angels of Anaheim (August 4-6) at U.S. Cellular Field.

Tickets to the "Buehrle Appreciation Series" are available online at whitesox.com, via phone at 866-SOX-GAME and at the U.S. Cellular Field ticket office.

voodoochile
08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Now that's a great scam. Bet they sell them all to people who want to claim they were there many years from now.

BleacherBandit
08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Why would you want to own a ticket if you weren't even there?

doublem23
08-05-2009, 06:37 PM
Why would you want to own a ticket if you weren't even there?

I've got a feeling those tickets will appreciate in value as time goes by.

08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Will it be considered a sellout now? :cool:

BainesHOF
08-05-2009, 06:43 PM
This is weird for a few reasons.

Contrary to what was announced repeatedly on the postgame show, it doesn't appear that these are tickets that were printed for the game and were simply extras laying around the Sox offices. It looks like the Sox are printing tickets after the fact for seat locations that were never sold for the perfect game.

If there is any way with coding or whatever to tell these tickets printed after the fact from those that were actually sold for the game, these tickets printed afterward will be virtually worthless to collectors. If there is no difference (outside of the obvious sections that didn't have any people in them for the game), then these tickets will obviously lessen the rarity of the real ones and make those less valuable.

It's also strange that the Sox are selling these tickets printed after the game for different prices according to seat location. From a collectible point of view, while some collectors might place a bit of a premium on tickets featuring great seat locations based on personal preference, overall there isn't much difference in value based on seat location. The value comes mostly by the date of the ticket and its condition.

Beyond that, it just doesn't seem right that tickets to a perfect game are being printed weeks after the game ended. It seems to me that you should have had to have been at the game to have a ticket for it.

TheCommander
08-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I am not sure why it is such a foreign concept that people would want to purchase these tickets even though they weren't there. I wouldn't mind having one and I sure as hell have no plans of pretending I was there. To me, it is just a nice way of commemorating a very special event, much like the 8X10's of the perfect game that are being sold. Maybe I am in the minority?

BleacherBandit
08-05-2009, 09:05 PM
I've got a feeling those tickets will appreciate in value as time goes by.

Well my father just called me to tell that he bought a ticket. He pretty much used your reasoning. I personally wouldn't have done so, but whatever.

tacosalbarojas
08-05-2009, 10:13 PM
For five bucks I would consider it...not for face value though.

doublem23
08-05-2009, 11:40 PM
Well my father just called me to tell that he bought a ticket. He pretty much used your reasoning. I personally wouldn't have done so, but whatever.

Neither would I, but if you keep these mint, I'm sure in a few years you'll be able to turn a profit on them.

BainesHOF
08-05-2009, 11:47 PM
Neither would I, but if you keep these mint, I'm sure in a few years you'll be able to turn a profit on them.

Don't be so sure about that. A big reason why such tickets are valuable is because a special feat is often achieved before something less than a full house and many, if not most, of those tickets do not survive in great condition. The possibility of printing potentially thousands of tickets, all of which will be kept in perfect condition, has a negative effect on long-term value.

grenda12
08-05-2009, 11:50 PM
I actually checked into this earlier. Heard it from XM Radio. For section 153 tickets would cost $42, $4.75 convenience fee, and free shipping - plus their only ticketmaster tickets. About a week before Buehrle had his Perfect Game there was a ticket on eBay from his previous No Hitter that went for a couple bucks. In time people will forget and the price will come down.

I was thinking that the Sox would sell the tickets for like $10 boy was I wrong.

Ron Karkovice
08-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Why wouldnt the White Sox do this? Why would they only sell these remaining tickets for "5 dollars."

A perfect game by someone on your team is a once in a lifetime event.

TDog
08-06-2009, 01:21 AM
This is weird for a few reasons. ...

I was thinking the same thing, although I couldn't have articulated it so clearly and completely.

I doubt these tickets would have any great value to collectors in any case. A collectible is only worth what someone else will pay for it. I imagine some Sox fans would consider this a nice keepsake, suitable for framing, but I don't imagine such a thing would draw any interest on the collector's market.

OldRomanPizza
08-06-2009, 01:34 AM
This is the sort of thing that Cubs fans pay attention to and make fun of the White Sox for when they get in arguments with White Sox fans over how much they don't pay attention to anything that goes on with the White Sox. :)

TDog
08-06-2009, 01:45 AM
This is the sort of thing that Cubs fans pay attention to and make fun of the White Sox for when they get in arguments with White Sox fans over how much they don't pay attention to anything that goes on with the White Sox. :)

Actually, I was thinking this is the sort of thing that the Cubs would do.

WhiteSox5187
08-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Actually, I was thinking this is the sort of thing that the Cubs would do.

It is, but to be honest, I don't really mind the Sox trying to turn a buck on this. I saw Boyer interviewed on this and just based strictly from his facial expression when it was first brought up I thought he was about to say "i don't know who would do this, but..."

soxfanreggie
08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
If this money will be used to keep/attract talent, I have no problem with the Sox selling the tickets.

ewokpelts
08-06-2009, 10:06 AM
for $20 on mlb.com you can get a blown up version of a season ticket with a display stand or wall mounting.

btw, for those that remember, the sox sent out replica tix of the no hitter to st holders...for free.....

mccoydp
08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
for $20 on mlb.com you can get a blown up version of a season ticket with a display stand or wall mounting.

I bought one of those; I had to watch it from the couch at work, but it looked like a cool momento.