PDA

View Full Version : What is this, Chuckie Cheese?

alohafri
06-06-2002, 06:29 AM
What's with all the kids running out on the field last night? And why were they allowed to stay in the park? I'm sorry, I realize they are just kids, but they were there with adults who should have told them to stay off the dang field!
:angry:

raul12
06-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by alohafri
What's with all the kids running out on the field last night? And why were they allowed to stay in the park? I'm sorry, I realize they are just kids, but they were there with adults who should have told them to stay off the dang field!
:angry:

it's a new promotion, didn't you hear?

THE_HOOTER
06-06-2002, 08:48 AM
The girl who went on the field to catch the foul ball was removed from the park.

LuvChiSox
06-06-2002, 09:15 AM
Allowing kids to get away with going onto the field (or grab a ball that is in play by reaching over the barrier) sets a bad precedence....the second kid that went on the field last night was allowed to stay....they showed a security guy giving the kid a ball after he went back to his seat!

I'm glad the girl was kicked out. Had Paulie knocked her over, her parents probably would haved sued the Sox.

Kilroy
06-06-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by LuvChiSox
Allowing kids to get away with going onto the field (or grab a ball that is in play by reaching over the barrier) sets a bad precedence....the second kid that went on the field last night was allowed to stay....they showed a security guy giving the kid a ball after he went back to his seat!

I'm glad the girl was kicked out. Had Paulie knocked her over, her parents probably would haved sued the Sox.

Actually, it was really hard to tell what happened with that. I only saw one kid that was on the field, and when the kid got back in the stands, immediately you saw security talking to the kid, and the kid indicating who brought them to the game. Then you saw security ask them to follow him. But later, I saw an umpire, not security, give the same kid, now crying, a ball.

Did they get the boot or what??

kevingrt
06-06-2002, 09:42 AM
they showed a security guy giving the kid a ball after he went back to his seat!

it was actually the ump... they showed a shot of the kid and he was all curled up and about to cry, I felt so sorry for the kid

Konerkofan
06-06-2002, 09:56 AM
The little girl was not removed from the park - they were directed to new seats after the security lectured their parents.

The parents should have more control on their kids during the games and if anyone goes on the field they should be rejected.

You can read the article on whitesox.com that talks about the little girl.

Iwritecode
06-06-2002, 10:03 AM
Did anyone catch Paulie's comments after the game? They asked him if he realized the kid was there and he said that he knew something was there but he thought it was the wall. Then he realized it was a little kid after he caught the ball. He said he was surprised that the kid didn't didn't call him off... :smile:

Iwritecode
06-06-2002, 10:12 AM
Exerpt from article on whitesox.com:

CHICAGO -- Most people who have studied Chicago baseball lore have heard of Shoeless Joe, the curse of the Billy Goat and the black cat that ran across Wrigley Field in 1969 and supposedly led to the Cubs' eventual demise. But a new chapter was written in that storied baseball legend Wednesday night at Comiskey Park, simply known hereafter as the little girl with the glove.

With the White Sox trailing the Royals by one run and one out in the top of the third, Chuck Knoblauch popped up a pitch from Gary Glover that appeared to be an easy play for Paul Konerko, the White Sox first baseman, just a few feet up from the home dugout. As Konerko moved back and camped under the baseball, he noticed what he thought was the wall out of the corner of his eye.

Instead, it was a little girl, about 8 or 9 years old, who had jumped out of the stands to make the play. Her glove was perfectly positioned under Konerko in case he let the ball go.

Maybe the odd encounter loosened up the White Sox's tight offense, as they exploded one inning later during a five-run fourth and cruised to a 6-1 victory in front of 12,167. The unidentified little girl jumped back into the stands, but was taken away with her family from their seats. After a lecture from one of the Comiskey security chiefs, they were returned to a different section of the park.

"I don't know if she was trying to call me off," said Konerko, who also had two hits and raised his average to .332. "The worst part is I might have heard a few guys on my team saying to let her take it.

"If I let it go, she probably makes the catch because she was right underneath it. It didn't distract me at all, but I had to do a double take after I made the catch."

steff
06-06-2002, 10:17 AM
Through all this I'm thinking.... "If Paul misses it, and she catches it, is it an out..?" :D:

Dadawg_77
06-06-2002, 10:40 AM
Another Ron Gallas move gone bad. I guess she took the come ready to play ads to seriously.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2002, 10:49 AM
What passes for responsible parenting these days is embarrassing.

I wouldn't kick out the family. I would give them the option of choosing:

1. to leave the ballpark, signing a waiver they did not choose option #2, or

2. let their daughter enjoy the remainder of the game (accompanied by a Sox employee) while the parents go downstairs and receive a two hour lecture about child endangerment--and the laws that keep children safe from reckless parents and guardians.

Sorry folks, I don't see the humor in any of this. My first order of business would be to wipe that smirk off the parent's face.

RKMeibalane
06-06-2002, 10:54 AM
It has long been said that bad manners are the fault of the parent, not the child.

Before each and every Major League game, it is annouced over the public address system that people should not wander onto the field at any time during the game, or they will be "asked" to leave. Everyone knows and understands this rule, but it seems that some parents can't or won't control their children, who should never set foot on the field.

It's too bad about what happened with the young boy who was crying. A baseball game is supposed to be a fun experience, but that child will look back on yesterday with sadness and bitterness. Having said that, there was no excuse for what he did. People cannot go onto the field, primarily for their own safety. If Konerko had run over that girl, I'm sure the Sox would be facing a huge lawsuit, as well as a great deal of heat from the media- both of which would be unfair.

I don't have kids, but I do know that one of the most important things every parent must do is maintain control over his or her children. I'm not sure what the girl's parents were doing, but they should have been paying more attention to her. The same goes for the boy's parents. How anyone could allow their children to go wandering around in a public place crowded with all sorts of people is beyond me.

I hope neither child was punished for their behavior, because their parents are to blame for that whole mess.

steff
06-06-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
Another Ron Gallas move gone bad. I guess she took the come ready to play ads to seriously.

LMAO!!!

Although I agree with PHG. She knew better. The parent knew better. Even if it was a "slip".. would the kid have been allowed to hang over the wall from the 300 level..?

Procol Harum
06-06-2002, 10:55 AM
A harried-sounding guy purporting to be the girl's dad called the Score last night about 11:30 or so and said that his daughter had been asking for a ball all night and when the foul came off the bat he thought the ball was going to come into the stands. He offhandedly told his little girl who he said was 5 or 6--can't remember--"Go for it." Straightaway, she clambered over the tarp to his horror. He said Sox Security lectured them but were nice about it and told him that if it happened again they would have to be jettisoned.

Whatever the case, the whole thing was pretty funny and it was good Paulie didn't step on the kid or anything. Anybody who has ever had kids knows how they can move faster off the block than an Olympic sprinter :o:

Tragg
06-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
A harried-sounding guy purporting to be the girl's dad called the Score last night about 11:30 or so and said that his daughter had been asking for a ball all night and when the foul came off the bat he thought the ball was going to come into the stands. He offhandedly told his little girl who he said was 5 or 6--can't remember--"Go for it." Straightaway, she clambered over the tarp to his horror. :o:

That's a believable explanation to me.

Yes it's dangerous for her and the player.

But it's doubtful that her parents to run on the field. She's a kid.

I remember when I was 6, I was with my parents at the Fairmount in San Franciso. LBJ got out of the car and my dad said "There's LBJ". I immediately ran up to him to try to meet the President, only to be grabbed by the secret service. No they didn't shackle me and send me to jail. They yakked at my parents. My parents didn't tell me to run up to LBJ. They didn't think I'd be that dumb.

Throw her out of the park and you risk severe bad p.r. They made the right decision.

Kilroy
06-06-2002, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
I don't have kids, but I do know that one of the most important things every parent must do is maintain control over his or her children.

What you have said about controlling your children is true, but as someone who doesn't have children, you have no idea what's involved. Many, many times, kids do things that you just don't expect. That's just the way it is...

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2002, 11:31 AM
I'm all too familiar with my kids saying and doing things I, as their parent, could never have anticipated. That's part of being a parent... anticipating, preparing for, and preventing most of these occurences.

Having said that, I'm still skeptical about the parent's story that their kid just up and ran on the field. They had been sitting there for hours amongst literally thousands of other specators. Nobody was climbing over a wall to get a ball or any other purpose. I'm sure these kids are more than old enough to know the purpose of a railing, too. Don't tell me they've never encountered a baby gate before.

I find it FAR MORE PLAUSIBLE that the parents simply thought it would be cute to see their kid running out on the field for a foul ball. Judging by the reaction of others attending the game, these misguided parents were right. Of course it was only their daughter who was endanger of getting run over by Paul Konerko--or hit in the head by a pop fly.

Somebody's priorities are screwed up, that's for sure.

MarqSox
06-06-2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

I find it FAR MORE PLAUSIBLE that the parents simply thought it would be cute to see their kid running out on the field for a foul ball. Judging by the reaction of others attending the game, these misguided parents were right. Of course it was only their daughter who was endanger of getting run over by Paul Konerko--or hit in the head by a pop fly.

Somebody's priorities are screwed up, that's for sure.

I think you're making quite a leap of assumption to think that parents would endanger their child's life for a cheap laugh. Kids do goofy, unexplainable stuff. Should the parents be blamed for that girl running on the field? No doubt, but to say that the parents ENCOURAGED it is a little much for me.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-06-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by MarqSox

I think you're making quite a leap of assumption to think that parents would endanger their child's life for a cheap laugh. Kids do goofy, unexplainable stuff. Should the parents be blamed for that girl running on the field? No doubt, but to say that the parents ENCOURAGED it is a little much for me.

No, I don't think they encouraged it. I don't think they thought at all. Seated in the front row with a rail in front of you for several hours should have had the wheels turning. If it wasn't so "cute", maybe they would have been?

Parenting isn't easy--or necessarily fun.

LuvChiSox
06-06-2002, 11:56 AM
I can understand a 3 or 4 year old kid running unexpectedly out onto the field. But both those kids last night were old enough to know better.

The little girl was standing out there, glove in hand, for several seconds. Responsible parents would have seen her jump onto the field right away and yelled at her to get her butt back to her seat.

I would not be encouraging my young child to try and grab a foul ball (or HR ball), seeing how people fight and fall over each other trying to catch them.

FanOf14
06-06-2002, 12:05 PM
I can't understand the lack of parenting that I see anymore. When I was younger, my mom and aunt would take myself and my younger brother and sister to 3-4 games a year. I know they never let us out of their site, much less to run on the field. I know kids do wacky things, but in this day and age, you need to keep your eye on them at all times when in public. Not only could she have been hurt, but what if someone tried to take her? I was glad she was okay, but I just don't get parents anymore.

Konerkofan
06-06-2002, 12:06 PM
I agree w/ PHG about the punishment!

and w/ Luvchisox
When the kid first did go on the field, the parents should have noticed she was gone and grabbed her off - she seriously could have gotten hurt!

raul12
06-06-2002, 12:46 PM
I'm all too familiar with my kids saying and doing things I, as their parent, could never have anticipated. That's part of being a parent... anticipating, preparing for, and preventing most of these occurences.

or you laugh your ass off at the stuff they try....granted last night could have resulted in a serious injury, but sometimes, i think kids have to learn by experience. for instance, the other day, a friend of mine's kid was running outside and decided to go inside, only not realizing that the patio door was closed. he abruptly came to halt, not on his own volition, but bounced right back up a little stunned, but not hurt.

needless to say, next time he'll be sure to slow down a little.

neal
06-06-2002, 12:51 PM
I think the Sox security did the right thing in both instances... but the parents were completely unacceptable. Why would you not be with a kid that young all the time at the ball park. You sure as hell wouldn't tell them to run off on their own to get a foul ball. Couldn't they have tried to stop them as they saw them climbing over the railing? And the second parents.. geeze. It happened in exactly the same spot. You'd think that having it happen once already in the game was enough, but then the second child's parents.. I don't know what they were thinking. They dad even looked proud when they showed him later. In addition, both of those kids were old enough to know better than to run on the field.

kevingrt
06-06-2002, 12:55 PM
Can we move this discussion to the "Parenting Children Message Board?"

Thanks, :D:

Kilroy
06-06-2002, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by neal
...but the parents were completely unacceptable. Why would you not be with a kid that young all the time at the ball park. You sure as hell wouldn't tell them to run off on their own to get a foul ball...

My seats are in the front row at the park. If I had a nickel for every time I saw kids 7 and under come stolling down unattended to the rail from their seats way behind us where their parents are, I'd be retired already.

People do that. They send them to the rail, they say they can chase foul balls. And at every game you see 10 and 11 year old kids running around the park, not just the section, alone, collecting plastic cups. Its nutty.

Iwritecode
06-06-2002, 01:30 PM
No, I don't think they encouraged it. I don't think they thought at all. Seated in the front row with a rail in front of you for several hours should have had the wheels turning. If it wasn't so "cute", maybe they would have been?

Parenting isn't easy--or necessarily fun.

That can be one of the problems with being a parent. Anybody can be one. Some people make you think they should be made to take a test before becoming one though...

That said, kids can do the most unexpected things at the most unopportune times. I know I did. Not on this scale though. The parents were probably watching the ball to make sure it didn't hit them. I doubt they expected the girl to jump the wall and run out to the field. The only thing that can be done now is to make to and avoid the same thing happening again.