PDA

View Full Version : Espn e-8??

34rancher
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Espn has stated multiple times in the last 24 hours that Scotty Pods has never had a walk-off hit before this year.
Ummm, am I the only one who thought he had a pretty big one in Game 2 of the 2005 World Series? That is pretty bad journalism to report that at least twice in the sportscenter I have seen this morning.

SoxGirl4Life
08-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Espn has stated multiple times in the last 24 hours that Scotty Pods has never had a walk-off hit before this year.
Ummm, am I the only one who thought he had a pretty big one in Game 2 of the 2005 World Series? That is pretty bad journalism to report that at least twice in the sportscenter I have seen this morning.

Regular season, i'm sure

PKalltheway
08-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Didn't Pods have one earlier this season? I could have sworn he did...

EDIT: Yup, he sure did. June 11th against the Tigers, Pods won it with a game-ending single.
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090611&content_id=5269686&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

DaveIsHere
08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
I believe last night was his 3rd walk off hit of the season.:gulp:

ode to veeck
08-05-2009, 09:19 AM
I think it is only the 1st time anyone at ESPN has paid attention to Pods or the Sox

34rancher
08-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Regular season, i'm sure
They pretty clearly stated career. They even stated how many games he played in. Turn on the channel, it is coming up in a few min.

Rockin Robin
08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
I think it is only the 1st time anyone at ESPN has paid attention to Pods or the Sox

:deadhorse:

Hitmen77
08-05-2009, 09:23 AM

I think ESPN stopped following baseball in 2005 after the Red Sox and Yankees were eliminated from the playoffs. So maybe they missed the Game 2 HR.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Watch the MLB network. Compared to ESPN's baseball coverage it's like taking a shower after cleaning out a septic tank.

doublem23
08-05-2009, 09:27 AM
They pretty clearly stated career. They even stated how many games he played in. Turn on the channel, it is coming up in a few min.

It's pretty much understood in the sports community that career stats do not include post-season stats. Do you think Yankee fans get all wound up whenever someone mentions Babe Ruth's 714 career HR, despite the fact he his 15 more in post-season play.

Martinigirl
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Watch the MLB network. Compared to ESPN's baseball coverage it's like taking a shower after cleaning out a septic tank.

Off topic but concerning MLB Network, did you see it last night when the host was talking about why Harry and Jimmy were fired from the Sox? It was hilarious.

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Off topic but concerning MLB Network, did you see it last night when the host was talking about why Harry and Jimmy were fired from the Sox? It was hilarious.

Yeah, it was great! Did you see Mitch Williams defend Hawk for his comments on the Contreras warning? That's why I love it - ALL teams get covered fairly.
And IMO, Harold Reynolds has really turned into a solid analyst - not an East Coast shill.

Railsplitter
08-05-2009, 09:43 AM
:deadhorse:

Agreed, especially since the 2005 WS homer was mention on the early edition of Sports Center.

Eddo144
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that was awesome. MLB Network is unbelievably good. I never though I would hang on every word Mitch Williams says.

And to the OP: "career" statistics do not included the postseason. That's the way it's always been.

Iwritecode
08-05-2009, 10:14 AM
Yeah, that was awesome. MLB Network is unbelievably good. I never though I would hang on every word Mitch Williams says.

And to the OP: "career" statistics do not included the postseason. That's the way it's always been.

After reading post 3 in this thread, they are still wrong...

PalehosePlanet
08-05-2009, 10:39 AM
After reading post 3 in this thread, they are still wrong...

Original statement is before this year; not before last night.

Iwritecode
08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Original statement is before this year; not before last night.

:redface:

TDog
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM
It's pretty much understood in the sports community that career stats do not include post-season stats. Do you think Yankee fans get all wound up whenever someone mentions Babe Ruth's 714 career HR, despite the fact he his 15 more in post-season play.

I think that is understood, although something so momentous as a game-winning home run in a World Series game should get mention (not to the degree that saying Bill Mazeroski never had a game-ending hit would be wrong, but close).

But I think the egregious error in this context is that this has to be at least the second thread this year complaining that a game-ending hit by Podsednik was the first such hit in his career.

Edit: I was responding to the response and didn't pay due attention to the original post. Sorry.

mccoydp
08-05-2009, 12:44 PM

I laughed my ass off on that one!