PDA

View Full Version : Old Blue Seats

awesomefan
08-05-2009, 09:37 AM
I just went to a White Sox game for the 1st time in years.....I do watch almost every game on TV. It's great to see so close up & all the replays & Slow Mo shots.

Now they have the new Green Seats, but I found it to be too much GREEN with the field being Green too & pretty much all the rest of the ballpark...and that "cubbie" IVY is Green too...we don't need no stinking IVY.:angry: It's flat out UGLY to me.

What's your opinion on this subject? I'm sure it's been discussed here before....sorry.

Red Barchetta
08-05-2009, 09:52 AM
I love the green look of US Cellular. I never really hated the blue seats/trim, however the original design was very sterile and boring. The renovations were similar to someone painting and decorating a new home.

I agree about the ivy though. I would have preferred a brick background similar to brick they used in the concourse. I also think the bullpens would look better with brick.

ode to veeck
08-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Green is good, next question

RedHeadPaleHoser
08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Green stays. Don't compare ivy. Does you no good.

There are two blue seats - look closer. :D:

Hitmen77
08-05-2009, 10:27 AM
I like the green seats. If you miss the blue seats, I heard they have left two of them in place for some reason. :cool:

I like the ivy. I think it looks great It's much improved over the "metal tool shed" look the batters eye area had when the park first opened. I don't think of it as a "Cubbie" thing. So what if the Loser have ivy on the wall at the Urinal? That doesn't mean they invented ivy.

EDIT: RPH beat me to it with the 2 blue seats remark!:wink:

KenBerryGrab
08-05-2009, 10:36 AM
The dark green is unbelievably awesome, especially paired with the gun-metal gray. I love how the park looks these days.

hi im skot
08-05-2009, 10:42 AM
I like the ivy. I think it looks great It's much improved over the "metal tool shed" look the batters eye area had when the park first opened. I don't think of it as a "Cubbie" thing. So what if the Loser have ivy on the wall at the Urinal? That doesn't mean they invented ivy.

It's just a tribute to Bill Veeck. :cool:

Dibbs
08-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Welcome to 2006. The green is nice.

Ron Karkovice
08-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Welcome to 2006. The green is nice.

Welcome to 1992 with your haircut.

35th&Shields
08-05-2009, 11:17 AM
What's your opinion on this subject? I'm sure it's been discussed here before....sorry.

There isn't even a comparison. The park looks categorically different now. The overall aesthetic is more consistent with the history of the Chicago White Sox and the feeling is more more intimate and less stark. You memory of how USCF looked the last time at your game must have softened with time. The park looks amazing. I was thinking at the game last night that I now like USCF more than I liked Old Comiskey. Best of all, the Sox have shown that they are comitted to making the park better and better.

Red Barchetta
08-05-2009, 11:43 AM

You mean the Tribune company did not invent ivy, bricks and natural grass fields?! :o:

Wow! That's not what I've read the last 25 years! :D:

hawkjt
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
There isn't even a comparison. The park looks categorically different now. The overall aesthetic is more consistent with the history of the Chicago White Sox and the feeling is more more intimate and less stark. You memory of how USCF looked the last time at your game must have softened with time. The park looks amazing. I was thinking at the game last night that I now like USCF more than I liked Old Comiskey. Best of all, the Sox have shown that they are comitted to making the park better and better.

Last nite was a quintessential summer nite at the ballyard and the park just sparkled. The upper deck was pretty full, the lower deck was full, the place was alive. I love the new scoreboard for all the info contained..keeps me busy between innings.
Even the bathroom lines were lite last nite considering the crowd..guess a lot less drinking on a week nite.
I have no complaints and am hoping tonite is a repeat of last nite...and my seats are even better:D:

VeeckAsInWreck
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
It's just a tribute to Bill Veeck. :cool:

Did the Sox ever say directly that it was a tribute to Veeck? If so, very cool indeed. After all, he planted the ivy at Wrigley.

But Veeck's legacy continues at the park. Whenever a kid douses themselves in the shower, when you see the pinwheels on the scoreboard, when you see fireworks after a homerun or when you get a gift as you walk into the park. Those are just some of the ways that Bill Veeck catered to the fans.

cws05champ
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
I love the green look of US Cellular. I never really hated the blue seats/trim, however the original design was very sterile and boring. The renovations were similar to someone painting and decorating a new home.

I agree about the ivy though. I would have preferred a brick background similar to brick they used in the concourse. I also think the bullpens would look better with brick.
I love the Green too. I see stadiums like Yankee stadium and cringe at the blue seat from memories of the old Cell. All the renovations they have done have been top notch!!

Also, you can't have a brick background in CF because that's the batters eye, it has to be a single dark color.

ShoelessJoeS
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
The blue seats were hideous. I love the green look.

dickallen15
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
What is the deal with the ivy in CF? It looks like its dying.

hawkjt
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM

It does look a little scruffy in spots...c'mon Bossard, mr.green thumb...back up your rep.:D:

chisox12
08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
The green looks great. So much better than the blue was.

BleacherBandit
08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't really care what color the seats are. Blue, Green, what's the difference?

mrfourni
08-05-2009, 12:24 PM

Probably Cubs fans poisening it during the Cubs-Sox series.

TomBradley72
08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
I just went to a White Sox game for the 1st time in years.....I do watch almost every game on TV. It's great to see so close up & all the replays & Slow Mo shots.

Now they have the new Green Seats, but I found it to be too much GREEN with the field being Green too & pretty much all the rest of the ballpark...and that "cubbie" IVY is Green too...we don't need no stinking IVY.:angry: It's flat out UGLY to me.

Just the opposite. I absolutely HATED the plastic blue seats...it's not a color that is remotely connected to the franchise and overall, green seats I think make the park look 200% better. I'd like to see them replace all the grey paint around the park with green as well.

The Cubs did not invent "ivy"...it's been used in many ballparks for many years...I like that as a touch for the fan deck as well.

Overall, I couldn't disagree with you more. :cool:

Red Barchetta
08-05-2009, 01:26 PM
Just the opposite. I absolutely HATED the plastic blue seats...it's not a color that is remotely connected to the franchise and overall, green seats I think make the park look 200% better. I'd like to see them replace all the grey paint around the park with green as well.

The Cubs did not invent "ivy"...it's been used in many ballparks for many years...I like that as a touch for the fan deck as well.

Overall, I couldn't disagree with you more. :cool:

It's also the little things that really make the renovations pop. I especially like the dark green outfield walls with the yellow trim paint at the top to help with HR calls. The old blue walls had nothing except the too small distance markers.

I agree about the grey stain. Although it looks good in the common areas, I would like to see more green especially in the bullpens. I think they should add more brick in the bullpens and the press box area. (Get rid of the fading/peeling pin wheel decals).

beasly213
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
It's also the little things that really make the renovations pop. I especially like the dark green outfield walls with the yellow trim paint at the top to help with HR calls. The old blue walls had nothing except the too small distance markers.

I agree about the grey stain. Although it looks good in the common areas, I would like to see more green especially in the bullpens. I think they should add more brick in the bullpens and the press box area. (Get rid of the fading/peeling pin wheel decals).

See I don't get why the top of the wall has to be yellow. It doesn't make it any clearer to see if the ball hit off the top or not than it would if the whole wall was green.

Also if it hits off the top and comes back into play isn't it not a home run anyway?

tacosalbarojas
08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Someone liked/misses the blue seats? Geez, why not bring back the moats while we're at it.

Seriously for every misstep the organization made in the building of the park, they have made a right step in each rennovation. Park is 2,000% better than when it was built.

doublem23
08-05-2009, 01:52 PM
See I don't get why the top of the wall has to be yellow. It doesn't make it any clearer to see if the ball hit off the top or not than it would if the whole wall was green.

Also if it hits off the top and comes back into play isn't it not a home run anyway?

I'm pretty sure that's just a rule for Major League ballparks. Even the Wrigley Field baskets have yellow going around them,

http://www.joesportsfan.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/sebek/fotw/stupidCubFan1.jpg

TomBradley72
08-05-2009, 01:53 PM

I'd like to see everything at "ground level" around the field (including the bullpens, patio area, etc.) be painted green from the current grey paint or in some cases unpainted metal or concrete...I think it would create much cleaner look and look better on television..which helps promote the ballpark.

october23sp
08-05-2009, 02:10 PM
Taken by me! The Pod's homer isn't marked like Konerko's is. I think someone ripped it off.:angry:

Hitmen77
08-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that's just a rule for Major League ballparks. Even the Wrigley Field baskets have yellow going around them,

http://www.joesportsfan.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/sebek/fotw/stupidCubFan1.jpg

:lol:

Funny picture. Looks like those Wrigley baskets caught another clown.

WhiteSoxFTW
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
Last nite was a quintessential summer nite at the ballyard and the park just sparkled. The upper deck was pretty full, the lower deck was full, the place was alive. I love the new scoreboard for all the info contained..keeps me busy between innings.
Even the bathroom lines were lite last nite considering the crowd..guess a lot less drinking on a week nite.
I have no complaints and am hoping tonite is a repeat of last nite...and my seats are even better:D:

The new scoreboard is amazing. That was a really nice addition this offseason.

beasly213
08-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Yea I noticed that. But I still don't know why it has to be yellow?

Red Barchetta
08-05-2009, 04:19 PM
I'd like to see everything at "ground level" around the field (including the bullpens, patio area, etc.) be painted green from the current grey paint or in some cases unpainted metal or concrete...I think it would create much cleaner look and look better on television..which helps promote the ballpark.

I also noticed some of the metal railings are looking shabby these days. Maybe they can paint them dark green or even yellow to match the Old Comiskey box seat railings. :cool:

35th&Shields
08-05-2009, 05:07 PM

That's for the fans as much as anything. If you are way up top, a clearly delineated bright yellow line is easier to track visually than just the green blending into the background.

35th&Shields
08-05-2009, 05:10 PM
I also noticed some of the metal railings are looking shabby these days. Maybe they can paint them dark green or even yellow to match the Old Comiskey box seat railings. :cool:

I'm convinced I have lead poisoning from the chipping yellow paint on the rails at Old Comiskey. No exaggeration, the paint was .25 inches thick and all crusty and nasty. I loved that park like a family member, but it was time for it to go. It was literally falling apart.

thomas35forever
08-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Taken by me! The Pod's homer isn't marked like Konerko's is. I think someone ripped it off.:angry:
You'd have to be pretty stupid or greedy or both to do that. I hope the team knows about this and replaces it.