PDA

View Full Version : The Stratton Story (1949 Jimmy Stewart White Sox movie)

samurai_sox
08-05-2009, 03:06 AM
I found the old Jimmy Stewart movie, "The Stratton Story" uploaded on Youtube in 15 parts. "Stratton Story" is about Monty Stratton the White Sox pitcher that accidentally shot himself in the leg on a hunting trip in 1938 which resulted in it having to be amputated, he tries to make a comback on a wooden leg. Great movie that every Sox fan should see. I don't know why this movie isn't mentioned in the all time greatest baseball movies discussion, it should be. I love the shots of Old Comiskey and the old time uniforms.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sla4njjM6CY

soxfan21
08-05-2009, 08:36 AM
It is a great movie, I try to catch it when it is on AMC or TCM once in a while.

longshot7
08-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I didn't even know about it. Thanks for the recommendation.

LITTLE NELL
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
I've seen the movie many times and it was a shame what happenned to Stratton. The Sox have had more than their share of freak injuries and worse that have ended or curtailed careers. Paul Edmondson was killed in a car crash, Carlos May lost part of his thumb in the Marines, Pete Ward and Bill Melton were never the same after back injuries, Wilbur Wood was never the same after being hit in the kneecap off the bat of Ron Leflore. I'm sure I left out a few.

TDog
08-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I've seen the movie many times and it was a shame what happenned to Stratton. The Sox have had more than their share of freak injuries and worse that have ended or curtailed careers. Paul Edmondson was killed in a car crash, Carlos May lost part of his thumb in the Marines, Pete Ward and Bill Melton were never the same after back injuries, Wilbur Wood was never the same after being hit in the kneecap off the bat of Ron Leflore. I'm sure I left out a few.

Then you have the players who end up with the White Sox because they were never the same after injuries, such as Bo Jackson and Herb Score.

TornLabrum
08-05-2009, 03:19 PM

Let's also not forget about Jackie Hayes going blind during the same time frame that Stratton shot himself.

RadioheadRocks
08-07-2009, 10:58 PM
It's also available on DVD, but you really have to look for it. Got mine at Barnes and Noble about a year and a half ago; Amazon.com may be your best bet.

SBSoxFan
08-08-2009, 01:37 AM
It's available on Netflix.

TornLabrum
08-08-2009, 08:34 AM
I heard the radio version of "The Stratton Story" on the Sirius-XM old-time radio channel the other day, also starring Stewart and June Allyson. Not a bad condensed version of the movie.