PDA

View Full Version : August 4, 1993 Robin Meets Nolan.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-04-2009, 03:07 PM
It was 16 years ago today that Robin Ventura got some friendly noogies from Nolan Ryan. (http://widgets.espn.go.com/cscallback/urlexchange/4988ad4af3803368/facebook.html?x=mQeQK5wqxXaQc8IhnCKXIZIqiSbFJZwrlC KScMEikHbHIJE_kCucKsV2kHPCIZwilyGSKg)

Where does the time go? I remember this like it was yesterday.

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2009, 03:12 PM
16 years already. Wow.

Man we are aging quickly. :(:

Madvora
08-04-2009, 03:17 PM
That's a little tough to watch.

Viva Medias B's
08-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Robin got ejected but Nolan did not, and Hawk blew a fuse that night. The most animated I've ever seen Gene Lamont took place during that incident as well.

Jim Shorts
08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
I had just gotten my Ventura, Road-Gray jersey about two weeks before this incident.

That sucked out loud.

jdm2662
08-04-2009, 03:28 PM
The one I remember most was in 1990. Grebeck and Ozzie went back to back off Ryan in Chicago. Ryan Grebeck him in the ribs on the first pitch when they face off in Texas. Hibbard hits the first batter the next innings. A brawl started. I remember Torborg himself was in the middle of it. Then, when every thing ends, Ryan comes out of the dug out when his arm in the air. The coward wouldn't come out during the brawl. I was hoping Torborg would've jumped his ass. That would've been great.

And yes, I do rememebr Hawk, back when he actually was a decent announcer, not caring for Ryan.

DumpJerry
08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
:nolanventura

Red Barchetta
08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
That's a little tough to watch.

It was like Robin didn't know what to do after he got out there. It was like he was thinking "Holy *****, it's Nolan Ryan!".

His second mistake was taking off his helmet.

:redface:

Rohan
08-04-2009, 03:38 PM
It was like Robin didn't know what to do after he got out there. It was like he was thinking "Holy *****, it's Nolan Ryan!".

His second mistake was taking off his helmet.

:redface:

But the helmet toss was the only bad ass part :smile:.

Was there any blood on his uniform when he got out of the choke hold?

Jurr
08-04-2009, 03:40 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday. My 14th birthday! We sat around and watched the Sox while eating B-day cake. I nearly dropped my plate.

seventyseven
08-04-2009, 03:45 PM
Still cannot believe that Robin was the only one suspended from that mess.

chisoxjtrain
08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday. My 14th birthday! We sat around and watched the Sox while eating B-day cake. I nearly dropped my plate.

Happy birthday!

Lip Man 1
08-04-2009, 04:57 PM
JDM:

That's what started the feud, than the two teams had another brawl on August 17th, in the first game of a DH in Texas at second base.

In the second game, Fisk hit the home run to break the record.

Lip

pistolesatdawn
08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
It was a couple of years after my parents had moved our family out here and I just remember getting teased mercifully by my friends and other guys who were on my summer baseball team since a player from my favorite team got beat up by "an old man."

Britt Burns
08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
JDM:

That's what started the feud, than the two teams had another brawl on August 17th, in the first game of a DH in Texas at second base.

In the second game, Fisk hit the home run to break the record.

Lip

I snuck in Arlington Stadium with a couple of friends that day and watched all 18 innings in the Texas sun from about half a dozen rows behind the Sox dugout. The fight that day was pretty tame, IIRC, but Fisk's homer was a blast. I saw him at the hotel bar that night having a drink and said congratulations. When he left a few minutes later I stole the bar glass and still have it to this day. (Give me a break, I was just a kid!!)

1990 was a great year for the Sox, and that day was definitely a highlight.

TheVulture
08-04-2009, 10:08 PM
I think this incident actually demonstrates what a bad ass Ventura was. He knew he was going out to the mound to get his ass handed to him, but did it anyway because it had to be done.

october23sp
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
A store in downtown Chicago, I can't remember the name, has the picture of the incident and it is signed by both players.

StillMissOzzie
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
OK, so explain this: My son was born in January of 1993 and it feels like he has been around forever, while the Ryan / Ventura "brawl" was 16 years ago today and it feels like it was last week in my mind.

SMO
:scratch: