PDA

View Full Version : Funny but true story about Dwayne Wise

parlaycard
08-03-2009, 08:39 PM
He was doing a signing at Triple Threat Sports on Monday night.

I was supposed to go with my neighbor, but the event sold out. So i couldnt buy a ticket. I had to pay in advance and they'll mail me an autographed 8x10 of the catch.

My neighbor asks him to write "Buehrle Perfect Game" on the photograph.

What does Wise say?

"How do you spell Buehrle?"

The guy who is there with him tells him and he asks, "Are you sure?"

Unbelievable.

His career is forever linked with Buehrle. He might want to learn how to spell his name. Damn i wish Letterman asked him on the show, that would have been great.

OldRomanPizza
08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
It is a weird name.

I once saw a guy with a GIULLEN 13 jersey! :redneck

Jim Shorts
08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
I think that subject line should read "Sad but true story about Dewayne Wise."

Just sayin'

asindc
08-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Nothing sad about not knowing how to spell Buehrle. Quite a few posters here don't know how, and I would guess a good % of Sox fans, even season ticket holders, don't know either.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
It is a weird name.

I once saw a guy with a GIULLEN 13 jersey! :redneck
I've seen someone with a Javier VaSquez jersey.

Jim Shorts
08-03-2009, 08:54 PM
Nothing sad about not knowing how to spell Buehrle. Quite a few posters here don't know how, and I would guess a good % of Sox fans, even season ticket holders, don't know either.

Apples and Oranges. You're talking about teammates vs. fans (most of which are casual)

It is, in fact, very sad.

GoGoCrede
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Hell, maybe he was poking fun at you. :redneck

TDog
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM
I'm sure DeWayne Wise's written language skills are better than Shoeless Joe Jackson's were. But Jackson was a better ballplayer, both at the bat and in the field.

hi im skot
08-03-2009, 09:04 PM
:rolleyes:

I've seen folks with 3,000 posts here misspell Buehrle.

manders_01
08-03-2009, 09:09 PM
I find this funny, not sad. :shrug:

wsgdf
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Anderson would have spelled it.

soxfanreggie
08-03-2009, 09:24 PM
As someone who has been spelled about 200 different ways and butchered continuously, I feel for him. Some last names are really hard. I once had a teacher who gave extra credit to spell my name and the name of a classmate with a hard last name. We were the only ones to get them both right. Some of these people have known us for years, but don't always refer to us by our last names.

That being said, Wise does play a position that is constantly in the line of site of the back of Mark's jersey. :D:

GoGoCrede
08-03-2009, 09:27 PM
As someone who has been spelled about 200 different ways and butchered continuously, I feel for him. Some last names are really hard. I once had a teacher who gave extra credit to spell my name and the name of a classmate with a hard last name. We were the only ones to get them both right. Some of these people have known us for years, but don't always refer to us by our last names.

I have a last name that is constantly mispronounced. It's pronounced with a Spanish accent, which doesn't come easily to everyone. I had to learn to let it go. It gets pretty entertaining on the first day of classes to hear professors mispronounce it. So I feel Buehrle's pain.

P.S. I also find it funny that Dewayne's name is misspelled in the thread title. :)

Shoeless_Jeff
08-03-2009, 09:33 PM
:rolling:

asindc
08-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Apples and Oranges. You're talking about teammates vs. fans (most of which are casual)

It is, in fact, very sad.

Why would it be more relevant for Wise to know how to spell Buehrle's name than a 10-year season ticket holder? In case someone asks him how? What were the odds of that happening? Just be glad someone didn't ask him to spell AJ's last name.:redneck

ode to veeck
08-03-2009, 09:43 PM
:rolleyes:

I've seen folks with 3,000 posts here misspell Buehrle.

I spell it differently every time

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
That being said, Wise does play a position that is constantly in the line of site of the back of Mark's jersey. :D:
:o::redneck
Repetition's the best way to learn something, and he's hardly there anyways. :wink:

DumpJerry
08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Which goes to show that "Buehrle" is not the only word which is difficult to spell correctly.

There is also the possibility Wise was being sarcastic given how much Burl's name had been in news. It is hard to show teal when speaking......

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 10:06 PM

You win the thread...:D:

Big D
08-03-2009, 10:10 PM
He's a pro athlete, what do you expect? None of these guys are in the big leagues for their spelling ability.

NDSox12
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
P.S. I also find it funny that Dewayne's name is misspelled in the thread title.

That is definitely the funniest part of this thread.

parlaycard
08-03-2009, 10:22 PM
That is definitely the funniest part of this thread.

No the funniest part of this thread was that there were 12 replies before anyone caught it. I know, I know, all of you saw it and knew i made a mistake. You all knew and i didnt.

no need to edit it because its funny.

Rohan
08-03-2009, 11:18 PM
:rolling:

october23sp
08-03-2009, 11:32 PM
I think he was just messing with you to see if you knew how to spell it. Or maybe he doesn't know how to spell a tough to spell name.

Redus Redux
08-03-2009, 11:45 PM
Far sadder is the cubs fan that still says Maddox

Konerko05
08-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Far sadder is the cubs fan that still says Maddox

Kerry Woods.

BadBobbyJenks
08-04-2009, 12:11 AM
I hope he was joking, because that would be sad. People get blasted on this message board for typos and misspelling words, but Wise would not at a signing?

Nellie_Fox
08-04-2009, 12:24 AM
It's not "sad." There's absolutely nothing about a name that sounds like "burly" that would suggest that it would be spelled "Buehrle." In fact, if you didn't know, and saw that name spelled out, I guarantee you wouldn't pronounce it "burly."

BleacherBandit
08-04-2009, 12:44 AM
It's not "sad." There's absolutely nothing about a name that sounds like "burly" that would suggest that it would be spelled "Buehrle." In fact, if you didn't know, and saw that name spelled out, I guarantee you wouldn't pronounce it "burly."

I'd be more inclined to pronounce it "Bweh-hurl" if I wasn't informed.

Ron Karkovice
08-04-2009, 08:55 AM

Everyone just needs to use the device "B U E HOMERUN L E" (remember the game against the brewers?!?!?!?!!?)

If that's even considered a device...

Brian26
08-04-2009, 09:12 AM
:o::redneck
Repetition's the best way to learn something, and he's hardly there anyways. :wink:

Repeat after me, teach: "Anyways" is not a word. Use "anyway" instead. :)

Warriorjan
08-04-2009, 09:18 AM
I have this vague recollection that after '05, when Buehrle got married in Hawaii, he was quoted as saying that the minister didn't say his name right at the ceremony. I can totally believe that Wise couldn't spell it. I have a difficult to spell last name and when people I've known for years are writing me a check or something they often look at me and ask me again how to spell it.

SCCWS
08-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Hopefully he didn't ask how to spell Dewayne.

salty99
08-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Coop will fix him!!!

SI1020
08-04-2009, 09:36 AM
What's the big deal? I did well in Spelling when I was a kid and I have to constantly remind myself how to spell Buehrle correctly. I have a very phonetic sounding Germanic last name that people butcher all the time. The spelling and the pronunciation. Even many intelligent people. I gave up a long time ago and just roll with it.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Even on an off day, Dewayne has to get crap from WSI.

LEAVE DEWAYNE ALONE!!!!
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/chris-crocker-cries.jpg

KenBerryGrab
08-04-2009, 10:11 AM
But does he like churros?

soxpride724
08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
I just saw a guy at the Cell wearing a Griffey #17 home jersey this past weekend. He had put a piece of painters tape over Griffey's name, and wrote Getz, lol, man that was freakin hilarious! He spelled Getz correctly, I just thought that was the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.:redneck

TommyJohn
08-04-2009, 10:32 AM
Even on an off day, Dewayne has to get crap from WSI.

LEAVE DEWAYNE ALONE!!!!
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/chris-crocker-cries.jpg
That guy annoys the hell out of me.

Jim Shorts
08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
That guy annoys the hell out of me.

I think you were a bit liberal with the term "guy"

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

soltrain21
08-04-2009, 12:12 PM
So you think he should know how to spell his name because they play baseball together? I have plenty of coworkers whose names I can't spell.

spawn
08-04-2009, 12:16 PM
I have co-workers I've known for years that still don't spell my first name right.

Jim Shorts
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I do.

Your example sounds like your problem to me as well...

Knowing a teammates name and correct spelling is much different than asking him to spell the name of the assistant ticket director's name, or even Kenny's personal assistant's name.

He's played with him for nearly two years, stares at the back of his jersey and see's his name in lights every fifth day.

I have no problem with Dewayne. I just find it sad he can't spell the name of the guy who just threw a perfect game. All that said, I'll take your hazing for my opinion. Nothing lost

seventyseven
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Kotsay can spell it. And he can play first.

cws05champ
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Did Dwayne sign his last name: Weiss?

tacosalbarojas
08-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Did Dwayne sign his last name: Weiss?
One can only hope.

As for D-Wise not being able to spell Buehrle's name, he looks at the uniform and locker plate every day...how hard should it really be for him to get the spelling down?

spawn
08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
As for D-Wise not being able to spell Buehrle's name, he looks at the uniform and locker plate every day...how hard should it really be for him to get the spelling down?
I've been looking at his name in the papers ever since he was called up. I still have to look to make sure I've spelled his name right. You people are really maikng an issue out of a non-issue. I'm sure Buehrle doesn't care. Why should we? :shrug:

TornLabrum
08-04-2009, 05:56 PM
I've had students I've taught three consecutive years who still misspell my last name.

rookie
08-04-2009, 07:27 PM
There is nothing phonetic about Buerhle's last name, so it can't be sad because of Wise's spelling abilities. Repetition is the key to learning, so Wise knows how to say Buerhle's name, but not spell it. So then it's sad because it's his teammate? Whatever. I bet you half the team can't spell Alexei's first name, let alone all the other names on the team.

I bet you people at WSI know how to spell these names more than fans who don't do White Sox message boards because we type out players' names more frequently than they do.

I can spell the last names of a new bunch of 25 students every year, but can barely remember how to spell the last name of a coworker that I've worked with for the last 6 years. Why? Because I have to write their last names over and over and over and I don't have to do that with my coworker's name.

My last name is the easiest last name out there. So it's sad that I can't spell hers, but she can spell mine?

asindc
08-04-2009, 08:25 PM
There is nothing phonetic about Buerhle's last name, so it can't be sad because of Wise's spelling abilities. Repetition is the key to learning, so Wise knows how to say Buerhle's name, but not spell it. So then it's sad because it's his teammate? Whatever. I bet you half the team can't spell Alexei's first name, let alone all the other names on the team.

I bet you people at WSI know how to spell these names more than fans who don't do White Sox message boards because we type out players' names more frequently than they do.

I can spell the last names of a new bunch of 25 students every year, but can barely remember how to spell the last name of a coworker that I've worked with for the last 6 years. Why? Because I have to write their last names over and over and over and I don't have to do that with my coworker's name.

My last name is the easiest last name out there. So it's sad that I can't spell hers, but she can spell mine?

Yes, rookie. Yes it is.