PDA

View Full Version : Yawn: Cubs beating up on the Reds again

It's Time
08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
The game is on ESPN and they were showing the Cardinals schedule in September, which has a lot of road games in it. They also were showing how many games the birds had against winning teams left.

That had me thinking: "What is the Cubs record against winning teams this year?".
The Cubs are 34-38 against teams with winning records thus far, including 3-4 against the Dodgers and Phils. I guess, on the surface, that's not too bad. That said, they sure do dominate the Reds and Pirates.

Does this mean they are doing what they're supposed to be doing, or is ir a reflection that they had better pick it up the last 2 months?

They will be tied with the birds if they win, although they have played 5 less games than the Cards going into tonight.

JB98
08-03-2009, 08:16 PM
Doesn't everybody beat up on the Reds these days? What a terrible team.

BleacherBandit
08-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Everybody says that the NL Central is a relatively good division, although it's only the Cubs and Cardinals that are competitive annually. The Reds and Pirates pretty much suck every year, and the Astros and Brewers are only competitive ever so often. With the Brewers fading, and the Astros, Pirates and Reds playing to true form, can we end the acclimation this division is getting in terms of competitiveness?

JB98
08-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Everybody says that the NL Central is a relatively good division, although it's only the Cubs and Cardinals that are competitive annually. The Reds and Pirates pretty much suck every year, and the Astros and Brewers are only competitive ever so often. With the Brewers fading, and the Astros, Pirates and Reds playing to true form, can we end the acclimation this division is getting in terms of competitiveness?

From year to year, it's the worst division in baseball.

Boondock Saint
08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
The game is on ESPN and they were showing the Cardinals schedule in September, which has a lot of road games in it. They also were showing how many games the birds had against winning teams left.

That had me thinking: "What is the Cubs record against winning teams this year?".
The Cubs are 34-38 against teams with winning records thus far, including 3-4 against the Dodgers and Phils. I guess, on the surface, that's not too bad. That said, they sure do dominate the Reds and Pirates.

Does this mean they are doing what they're supposed to be doing, or is ir a reflection that they had better pick it up the last 2 months?

They will be tied with the birds if they win, although they have played 5 less games than the Cards going into tonight.

Both.

OldRomanPizza
08-03-2009, 08:52 PM
The Cubs will win the division. They are finally playing like the team they were supposed to be. I don't think they'll finish with home field advantage in the NL playoffs, but perhaps that is best for them as it will take some of the pressure off.

That being said, with Kevin "Back to Back Jacks" Gregg on the mound....anything is possible!!:tongue:

SoxGirl4Life
08-03-2009, 08:58 PM
The Cubs will win the division. They are finally playing like the team they were supposed to be. I don't think they'll finish with home field advantage in the NL playoffs, but perhaps that is best for them as it will take some of the pressure off.

That being said, with Kevin "Back to Back Jacks" Gregg on the mound....anything is possible!!:tongue:

I have a feeling this kid is going to pitch a complete game tonight. That bullpen is sad.

Red Barchetta
08-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Doesn't everybody beat up on the Reds these days? What a terrible team.

You mean, Dusty Baker isn't the managerial genius everbody said he was in 2003?! :rolleyes:

Dick Allen
08-03-2009, 09:13 PM
The Reds were weak to begin with. Then they traded two regulars on Friday, Encarnacion and Hairston Jr. They got Scott Rolen, but he was beaned yesterday and isn't playing tonight. So the Cubs are basically playing against a AAA team that they should be expected to beat. Harang is a decent pitcher but would have to pitch a shutout just to have a chance. I hate the NL.

JB98
08-03-2009, 09:17 PM
You mean, Dusty Baker isn't the managerial genius everbody said he was in 2003?! :rolleyes:

He is terrible and so is his team. The Reds have been laying down for people for the last month. That's the sign of a bad manager.

Red Barchetta
08-03-2009, 09:18 PM

I'm not convinced the Cubs are going to win their division. They have enjoyed beating up the Nationals, Reds and the Astros since the All-Star break. When they play the "good teams" with winning records they go 1-3 (Phillies/Marlins).

I expect St. Louis to pull away.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 09:18 PM
The Cardinals have 2 less home games than road games. That's not "a lot" of road games. The Cardinals and Cubs clash once more this season, and that series is in St. Louis. I think the Cardinals will sweep that series.

The rest of this month for the Cubs is pretty hard save a couple of series. They will fall.

Are you listening to the MLB Network right now or something, because that's exactly what they were saying.

My GOD...They have been having a HEAVY dose of the Nationals and Reds since the All Star Break...THAT'S the reason they're appearing to be so good. Look at what happened to them when they played a GOOD team like the Marlins!

It's Time
08-03-2009, 09:21 PM
The Cardinals have 2 less home games than road games. That's not "a lot" of road games. The Cardinals and Cubs clash once more this season, and that series is in St. Louis. I think the Cardinals will sweep that series.

The rest of this month for the Cubs is pretty hard save a couple of series. They will fall.

Are you listening to the MLB Network right now or something, because that's exactly what they were saying.

My GOD...They have been having a HEAVY dose of the Nationals and Reds since the All Star Break...THAT'S the reason they're appearing to be so good. Look at what happened to them when they played a GOOD team like the Marlins!

The Cubs went 4-3 against the Marlins this year. Hey, just sayin.

It's Time
08-03-2009, 09:22 PM
The Cardinals have 2 less home games than road games. That's not "a lot" of road games.

Down the stretch in September they do.

JB98
08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
The Cubs went 4-3 against the Marlins this year. Hey, just sayin.

The Marlins and the Cubs are about of equal strength, IMO.

The Reds, on the other hand, are 5-20 in their last 25 games and have lost 12 out of 13 and 16 out of 19, or something ridiculous like that.

It's Time
08-03-2009, 09:32 PM
The Marlins and the Cubs are about of equal strength, IMO.

The Reds, on the other hand, are 5-20 in their last 25 games and have lost 12 out of 13 and 16 out of 19, or something ridiculous like that.

And Dusty can't manage, either. He had a chance to IW walk Lee in the 8TH, pitched to him and Lee, of course, doubled in a run.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
From year to year, it's the worst division in baseball.

Agreed. And it's only getting worse, with the Pirates dumping more players at the deadline.

The Royals, Orioles, Indians and Athletics are bad AL teams, but they would have winning records if they played in the NL Central.

soxyess
08-03-2009, 09:56 PM
The Phillies, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants, Cubs are the only good teams in the National League. The others are terrible and have recently gotten worse. The Cubs will beat up all the garbage pitching that exists in the NL. They will struggle mightly against quality pitching. However, there is very little quality pitching in the NL. It will come down to who better beats up on the garbage the Cubs or the Cards, and who has more garbage to beat on. The Cubs have very few games left against quality teams with quality pitchers. They should win the division. Then again they are the Cubs.

JB98
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
The Phillies, Dodgers, Cardinals, Giants, Cubs are the only good teams in the National League. The others are terrible and have recently gotten worse. The Cubs will beat up all the garbage pitching that exists in the NL. They will struggle mightly against quality pitching. However, there is very little quality pitching in the NL. It will come down to who better beats up on the garbage the Cubs or the Cards, and who has more garbage to beat on. The Cubs have very few games left against quality teams with quality pitchers. They should win the division. Then again they are the Cubs.

Cubs still have nine left with Pittsburgh. A gift from the scheduling gods.

veeter
08-03-2009, 10:03 PM
To their credit, the cubs have absolutely demolished the Reds and Pirates over the last two and a half seasons. It's lead to their high win totals. But sadly for them, the Reds and Pirates aren't who they play in the playoffs. 0-6 in the playoffs shows me who the cubs really are. They are a very ordinary team this year.

JB98
08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Agreed. And it's only getting worse, with the Pirates dumping more players at the deadline.

The Royals, Orioles, Indians and Athletics are bad AL teams, but they would have winning records if they played in the NL Central.

Not them. Those guys really suck. 23-53 in their last 74 games. They'd be terrible in any division.

Those other three would be more competitive if they played in the NL, especially Baltimore. Can't pitch, but they'd score more runs in a division other than the AL East.

The Indians, in fact, have scored the most runs in the AL Central. Another decent offensive team that doesn't have the pitching to compete in the American League.

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Cubs still have nine left with Pittsburgh. A gift from the scheduling gods.

I disagree. My understanding is that you play all your division foes the same amount of times as everyone else.

That's equivalent to us bitching that we have to play the Red Sox and Yankees so many more times the rest of the way while the Twins are done. The Twins didn't miss the Yankees and Redsox. They just played them earlier than we did.

JB98
08-03-2009, 10:22 PM
I disagree. My understanding is that you play all your division foes the same amount of times as everyone else.

That's equivalent to us bitching that we have to play the Red Sox and Yankees so many more times the rest of the way while the Twins are done. The Twins didn't miss the Yankees and Redsox. They just played them earlier than we did.

You're wrong. The wild card is still very much in play for both St. Louis and the Cubs, and it could be a huge factor for the Cubs to have all those games against a weakened, post-firesale Pittsburgh team.

Heck, the Cardinals only have six left with the mighty Pirates. St. Louis had to play more games against the pre-firesale Pirates than the Cubs did. That's an advantage for the Cubs.

Just like it is an advantage for the Twins to have 12 left against the post-firesale Indians, while the Sox and Tigers have just six each.

InKennyWeTrust
08-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Of course they would, if they all kept their full time DHs on the bench most of the year.

Seriously, all this talk of "AL teams dominating if in the NL" annoys me, because they wouldn't have the same 25 man roster (to put it in perspective, if the Sox were in the NL, they wouldn't have Thome AND Konerko on the same team, especially at those salaries), or the ability to partially-rest players with DH days.

But enough of that hijack. Look, we're not going to sink to complaining about the Cubs facing more bad teams in the second half are we?

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2009, 10:58 PM
You're wrong. The wild card is still very much in play for both St. Louis and the Cubs, and it could be a huge factor for the Cubs to have all those games against a weakened, post-firesale Pittsburgh team.

Heck, the Cardinals only have six left with the mighty Pirates. St. Louis had to play more games against the pre-firesale Pirates than the Cubs did. That's an advantage for the Cubs.

Just like it is an advantage for the Twins to have 12 left against the post-firesale Indians, while the Sox and Tigers have just six each.

I don't get your point.

Is this the first year this happens? Is this the first time in MLB there is a fire sale? This happens every season. Teams tank during this time and dump players and go thru the motions. Lucky for that team that gets to play that other team when they are down.

How did playing the "fire sale" Indians go for the Tigers?

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Seriously, all this talk of "AL teams dominating if in the NL" annoys me, because they wouldn't have the same 25 man roster (to put it in perspective, if the Sox were in the NL, they wouldn't have Thome AND Konerko on the same team, especially at those salaries), or the ability to partially-rest players with DH days.
One doesn't have to look any further than the total DOMINATION the AL has over the NL in this thing called Interleague Play. Facts are facts, and it is a fact that the AL is the dominant league.

Big D
08-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't get your point.

Is this the first year this happens? Is this the first time in MLB there is a fire sale? This happens every season. Teams tank during this time and dump players and go thru the motions. Lucky for that team that gets to play that other team when they are down.

Clearly all of Major League Baseball is involved in a massive conspiracy to help the Cubs. That's pretty much the point of half the Cubs threads on here.

JB98
08-03-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't get your point.

Obviously not. I sure as hell don't get your point either. Yes, this happens every year. And playing the Indians 12 times the rest of the way is an advantage for the Twins, just as playing the Pirates nine times is an edge for the Cubs.

It's not "bitching" or "whining." It's a fact and part of baseball. Excuse me for discussing it on a baseball board.

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Obviously not. I sure as hell don't get your point either. Yes, this happens every year. And playing the Indians 12 times the rest of the way is an advantage for the Twins, just as playing the Pirates nine times is an edge for the Cubs.

It's not "bitching" or "whining." It's a fact and part of baseball. Excuse me for discussing it on a baseball board.

As evidence by what the Indians did to the Tigers and what the White Sox did to the Yankees, there are no guarantees in the game of baseball. Anyone can run into a hot pitcher any given night (or a guy we never faced).

JB98
08-03-2009, 11:19 PM
As evidence by what the Indians did to the Tigers and what the White Sox did to the Yankees, there are no guarantees in the game of baseball. Anyone can run into a hot pitcher any given night (or a guy we never faced).

Who said there were any guarantees? It's just a fact that the schedule favors certain teams coming down the stretch. The schedule is one factor that could decide the race, although not necessarily.

kittle42
08-03-2009, 11:49 PM
Who said there were any guarantees? It's just a fact that the schedule favors certain teams coming down the stretch. The schedule is one factor that could decide the race, although not necessarily.

if the schedule favors one team down the stretch, it probably favored the other division teams in the early part of the year, but baseball is a long season and people tend to forget about games in April and May, though they are just as important as games in August and September.

JB98
08-04-2009, 12:00 AM
if the schedule favors one team down the stretch, it probably favored the other division teams in the early part of the year, but baseball is a long season and people tend to forget about games in April and May, though they are just as important as games in August and September.

I'm talking more about the teams that have conducted firesales, though. As bad as the Indians were the first half, they have even less talent now that Lee and Martinez are gone. Teams playing the Indians in September should have it easier than the teams that played the Indians in April. Same is true for the Pirates and A's as well.

I'm glad the Sox are making their trip to Oakland this month, as the A's are weaker now that Holliday is a Cardinal. That's one example of this potentially working in the Sox favor.

hawkjt
08-04-2009, 01:13 AM
On the other hand, Texas and the Twins toughest games include a couple series vs the Rangers the next couple of weeks and today Ian Kinsler went on the DL....bad luck for the Sox.

I do think the one constant that can be counted on...it is never good to play the Red Sox,Angels,or Yanks in August and Sept....they are always loaded up with new acquisitions and always are trying to win a division.

:scratch:

LoveYourSuit
08-04-2009, 02:16 AM
On the other hand, Texas and the Twins toughest games include a couple series vs the Rangers the next couple of weeks and today Ian Kinsler went on the DL....bad luck for the Sox.

I do think the one constant that can be counted on...it is never good to play the Red Sox,Angels,or Yanks in August and Sept....they are always loaded up with new acquisitions and always are trying to win a division.

:scratch:

Then if we are going to fear those guys now, might as well pack it in and not play in October.

I actually thinkg this schedule is great for us. No let-down games the rest of the way. Earn it to get in.

PKalltheway
08-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Yet Cleveland finished with a pitiful 5-13 record in interleague this year, playing mostly against NL Central teams...

I don't get why people keep bringing up the Indians as a team that would do better in the National League. They're 28-44 against the NL since 2006.

Soxfanspcu11
08-04-2009, 08:32 PM

:?: Ummm no. I have no idea what your basing that on at all but they won't. STL will take it going away.

central44
08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Yet Cleveland finished with a pitiful 5-13 record in interleague this year, playing mostly against NL Central teams...

I don't get why people keep bringing up the Indians as a team that would do better in the National League. They're 28-44 against the NL since 2006.

Cleveland is awful, they'd be horrible in any division. Still though, this year's AL seems very top heavy and this year's NL very bottom heavy. The only real "bad" teams I can think of in the AL would be Cleveland, KC and Oakland. Even the worst team in the AL East, Baltimore, is a pretty tough team in a ridiculously tough division. Other than that though, a lot of very good teams and average teams, not a whole lot of pushovers.

Only NL teams that really look like contenders are Philly, LA and STL. Those are all nice teams, but there seems to be a pretty steep dropoff afterward, unlike in the AL where the Yankees, BoSox, Rays, and Angels are followed by other "good" teams like the Sox, Tigers, Twinks, Rangers, etc. . Also, i'm pretty sure that the Nats, Pirates, Padres, and Reds and DBacks are worse than the worst AL team, but i've got nothing to back that up.

DrCrawdad
08-05-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm talking more about the teams that have conducted firesales, though. As bad as the Indians were the first half, they have even less talent now that Lee and Martinez are gone. Teams playing the Indians in September should have it easier than the teams that played the Indians in April. Same is true for the Pirates and A's as well.

I'm glad the Sox are making their trip to Oakland this month, as the A's are weaker now that Holliday is a Cardinal. That's one example of this potentially working in the Sox favor.

The Tigres just lost 2 of 3 to the post-fire sale Indians and were fortunate not to have lost all 3.

PatK
08-05-2009, 11:51 AM

The Cubs are competative annually?

4 winning seasons the last 10 years isn't "competative annually".

It's Time
08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
The Cubs are competative annually?

4 winning seasons the last 10 years isn't "competative annually".

Well, to be accurate, if the Cubs finish with a winning record this year (And more than likely they will), it will be 6 winning seasons out of 9. If they win the division this year, it will 4 out of the last 7 years that they won it.

I just think it's sad that the Reds and Pirates have been nothing but layups for the Cubs the last several seasons.

It's Time
08-05-2009, 02:29 PM
:?: Ummm no. I have no idea what your basing that on at all but they won't. STL will take it going away.

I hope you're basing that on you figuring that the Birds are going to score 7 runs a game, because that staff, other then Carpenter and Wainwright is not one I would fear at all.

They're down 7-0 to a sad Mets team in the 7th today.

Big D
08-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Well, to be accurate, if the Cubs finish with a winning record this year (And more than likely they will), it will be 6 winning seasons out of 9. If they win the division this year, it will 4 out of the last 7 years that they won it.

I just think it's sad that the Reds and Pirates have been nothing but lay ups for the Cubs the last several seasons.

They've been layups for the entire NL Central. Didn't the Brewers recently win something like 15 straight games against the Pirates?

kittle42
08-05-2009, 02:57 PM
They've been layups for the entire NL Central. Didn't the Brewers recently win something like 15 straight games against the Pirates?

Exactly. The Cards and Brewers and Astros get to play these **** teams, too. How come no one ever pays any attention to that?

Thatguyoverthere
08-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I just want to know where this Randy Wells kid came from. I figured the Cubs were finished with all those injuries to Zambrano, Dempster and Lilly, but this kid has pitched out of his mind for the Cubs and has won like 9 out of his last 10 starts. Crazy. Was he a highly regarded prospect?

JB98
08-05-2009, 05:31 PM
I just want to know where this Randy Wells kid came from. I figured the Cubs were finished with all those injuries to Zambrano, Dempster and Lilly, but this kid has pitched out of his mind for the Cubs and has won like 9 out of his last 10 starts. Crazy. Was he a highly regarded prospect?

No, all of the Cubs highly-regarded prospects are busts. Their no-name prospects are the only ones that ever help the team.

chisoxfanatic
08-06-2009, 01:36 AM
So, the Cubs were four-hit by the Reds today??? Just wonderful!

guillensdisciple
08-06-2009, 02:26 AM
So get this, and I don't really care about bias issues, but this was too irritating to look away from. Anyway, there was a commercial for the Chicago Tribune sports section and they had an opening including the Cubs vs. Sox rivalry. They had two fans, one painted black and one painted blue. A baseball comes out of nowhere and hits the Sox fan in the head and bounces neatly into the Cubs fans glove. No big deal right, that was only a little odd, but then they switch to a picture of the paper itself and have the 2007 Sox record posted and the 2007 Cubs record posted. There was only one problem, they added 10 wins and subtracted 10 losses from the Cubs record.

2007 was the year the Cubs made it in with a horrible record. Now, we could say that this was a mistake, but there is no way a mistake like that can go on television without someone noticing. Also, even if they were writing of another year, there was no other year that they had a record like that- not even last year when they had their best record. It is obvious that this was a biased commercial with the intent to show the Cubs as the better team, but it sure as hell would have been nice if they evened it out.

I hate whining, and this is as close as I will get to it, but **** damnit is there a way to fight tribune co? I am in the mood.

central44
08-06-2009, 04:06 AM
So get this, and I don't really care about bias issues, but this was too irritating to look away from. Anyway, there was a commercial for the Chicago Tribune sports section and they had an opening including the Cubs vs. Sox rivalry. They had two fans, one painted black and one painted blue. A baseball comes out of nowhere and hits the Sox fan in the head and bounces neatly into the Cubs fans glove. No big deal right, that was only a little odd, but then they switch to a picture of the paper itself and have the 2007 Sox record posted and the 2007 Cubs record posted. There was only one problem, they added 10 wins and subtracted 10 losses from the Cubs record.

2007 was the year the Cubs made it in with a horrible record. Now, we could say that this was a mistake, but there is no way a mistake like that can go on television without someone noticing. Also, even if they were writing of another year, there was no other year that they had a record like that- not even last year when they had their best record. It is obvious that this was a biased commercial with the intent to show the Cubs as the better team, but it sure as hell would have been nice if they evened it out.

I hate whining, and this is as close as I will get to it, but **** damnit is there a way to fight tribune co? I am in the mood.

This commercial drives me insane every time I see it. I'm pretty sure that the records in question were the Tribune's preseason predictions though.

Still, it drives me nuts to see the picture of the cheering Cub fans and the headline, "95-67, First Place NL Central" and next to it, the depressed Sox fans, "74-88, Last Place AL Central." I mean...come on. What are we, as Sox fans, supposed to think about that--especially considering that the Sox were the defending AL Central Champions when the commercial first came out? Was it really that much of a stretch to think the Sox would at least beat out KC?

soxfan21
08-06-2009, 10:01 AM
This commercial drives me insane every time I see it. I'm pretty sure that the records in question were the Tribune's preseason predictions though.

Still, it drives me nuts to see the picture of the cheering Cub fans and the headline, "95-67, First Place NL Central" and next to it, the depressed Sox fans, "74-88, Last Place AL Central." I mean...come on. What are we, as Sox fans, supposed to think about that--especially considering that the Sox were the defending AL Central Champions when the commercial first came out? Was it really that much of a stretch to think the Sox would at least beat out KC?

IIRC, those were the trib's preseason predictions for this year. Looks like they will be way off the mark though.

Railsplitter
08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
So, the Cubs were four-hit by the Reds today??? Just wonderful!

And by a pitcher they hadn't seen before.

Hitmen77
08-06-2009, 11:19 AM

Luckily I haven't seen this commercial.

The pro-Cubs slant is never going to change. For example, I tuned in to Channel 9 for the sports last night and they led off with the Cubs (on the road) losing to the lowly Reds. I guess the Sox beating the hottest team in baseball at home isn't enough to garner top billing. I know this is a Hangar-esque complaint, so usually I just don't even bother with local sports coverage during the baseball season anymore rather than be annoyed by it.

spawn
08-06-2009, 11:33 AM

Yep, it is. I hate seeing it as well. I'm not one to scream bias by the local media, but that commercial definitely pissed me off when I saw it.

chisoxfanatic
08-06-2009, 04:49 PM

That commercial drives me crazy as well! If that were my commercial, they'd have a World Series Champions shot for the Sox and a photo of a Cubs fan crying after being swept out of the playoffs for the Cubs photo.

MarySwiss
08-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Luckily I haven't seen this commercial.

The pro-Cubs slant is never going to change. For example, I tuned in to Channel 9 for the sports last night and they led off with the Cubs (on the road) losing to the lowly Reds. I guess the Sox beating the hottest team in baseball at home isn't enough to garner top billing. I know this is a Hangar-esque complaint, so usually I just don't even bother with local sports coverage during the baseball season anymore rather than be annoyed by it.

Yep, it is. I hate seeing it as well. I'm not one to scream bias by the local media, but that commercial definitely pissed me off when I saw it.

That commercial drives me crazy as well! If that were my commercial, they'd have a World Series Champions shot for the Sox and a photo of a Cubs fan crying after being swept out of the playoffs for the Cubs photo.

I haven't seen this either, and from what you guys are saying, I don't want to!

Based on this year's dysfunctional Cubs team, I was hoping that the media would put this whole "lovable losers" thing to rest, but I guess not.

I'd kind of like to see someone in the media refer to them as the "unlovable losers," though. At least, that would be accurate. :cool:

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2009, 05:05 PM

How's playing those "Fire Sale Indians" looking now?

This is why no one should ever bitch about what schedule we or them play.

Boondock Saint
08-09-2009, 05:11 PM

Exactly. None of the guys playing for the Indians have "given up". They all want to win.

SoxGirl4Life
08-09-2009, 05:19 PM

Since this thread was resurrected for some reason, let me reply to this post.

I think the commercial you're referring to was the Red Eye's story about the BP projections, not the 2007 results.

Big D
08-09-2009, 05:25 PM
Exactly. None of the guys playing for the Indians have "given up". They all want to win.

A lot of those teams that have done fire sales are playing rookies just called up from the minors who are trying to earn big league spots for 2010. In the last few weeks of the season especially, those teams may be more motivated than veteran teams that were in the race most of the season but were recently eliminated.

JB98
08-09-2009, 05:36 PM

As usual, you're enjoying White Sox losses. Keep partying. I know you were cheering for Cleveland today, just so you could make this "I told you so" post.

My argument remains the same. It is an advantage for the Twins to have so many games left against this awful Cleveland team. Shame on the Sox for playing terrible baseball all weekend.

LoveYourSuit
08-09-2009, 05:54 PM
As usual, you're enjoying White Sox losses. Keep partying. I know you were cheering for Cleveland today, just so you could make this "I told you so" post.

My argument remains the same. It is an advantage for the Twins to have so many games left against this awful Cleveland team. Shame on the Sox for playing terrible baseball all weekend.

Not cheering for the Sox to lose. Nice try buddy. Is that best you got?

Just pointing out your dumb ass post and arguement about playing "weaker" schedules.

Any team can beat you at any given time.

It upsets me that many here and probably the Sox took the Indians lightly and this is what we have. I wasted weekend series.

Soxfanspcu11
08-26-2009, 05:30 PM
I hope you're basing that on you figuring that the Birds are going to score 7 runs a game, because that staff, other then Carpenter and Wainwright is not one I would fear at all.

They're down 7-0 to a sad Mets team in the 7th today.

Guess I was wrong?
:rolleyes: