PDA

View Full Version : WSI members' ballpark road trips thread!

SephClone89
08-03-2009, 07:14 PM
I notice that threads about specific parks show up quite often. I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could talk about all the parks we've visited. Write reviews and recommendations, etc.

I've seen games at The Cell about 10-15 times probably. I went five years without attending a game, but have gone to five this season.

I've been to Wrigley twice. Once in '99 as a family outing for my mom (she's from a Cubs family, but my dad is from the South Side so that's the reason why all of my immediate family are Sox fans), and once in '04 for Sox/Cubs.

Saw a game at what was then-Pac Bell Park in San Fran in about '02 with my dad. Great park, and I've always had a soft spot for the Giants.

In '99 I visited Busch Stadium II, not for a game but just for a tour.

I am seeing Pirates/Cards at PNC Park on Friday, and can't wait. We're behind home plate and the park looks beautiful.

I've wanted to go to Fenway for ages. Next summer I may go see the Sox at the new park in Minny and maybe catch the Brew Crew on the way down. Would do a Kansas City trip in tandem with a visit to the Negro Leagues Museum. Could easily see a trip down to St. Louis as well.

Anyone else want to share their experiences?

tacosalbarojas
08-03-2009, 08:34 PM
I notice that threads about specific parks show up quite often. I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where we could talk about all the parks we've visited. Write reviews and recommendations, etc.

I've seen games at The Cell about 10-15 times probably. I went five years without attending a game, but have gone to five this season.

I've been to Wrigley twice. Once in '99 as a family outing for my mom (she's from a Cubs family, but my dad is from the South Side so that's the reason why all of my immediate family are Sox fans), and once in '04 for Sox/Cubs.

Saw a game at what was then-Pac Bell Park in San Fran in about '02 with my dad. Great park, and I've always had a soft spot for the Giants.

In '99 I visited Busch Stadium II, not for a game but just for a tour.

I am seeing Pirates/Cards at PNC Park on Friday, and can't wait. We're behind home plate and the park looks beautiful.

I've wanted to go to Fenway for ages. Next summer I may go see the Sox at the new park in Minny and maybe catch the Brew Crew on the way down. Would do a Kansas City trip in tandem with a visit to the Negro Leagues Museum. Could easily see a trip down to St. Louis as well.

Anyone else want to share their experiences?You will enjoy PNC...one of my favorite parks. I've been to Petco and Camden out of the newer celebrated parks, and PNC is as good as it gets for my money. Great place and setting to watch a game. It is unfornuate for their fans that they are so horrible. Fenway is good from the other end of the spectrum - to see the old style of park. I was there, at Tiger Stadium, Yankee Stadium, and of course old Comiskey, and they all had a similar feel and setup.

I did the KC trip at the end of '03 and had a ball. The Negro League museum is there, as is the jazz museum (same building) and on the way you can hit Arthur Bryant's for some good ribs and great ambiance!

CHISOXFAN13
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM
In 98, I saw games in Cleveland, Toronto, Yankee and Camden. Went to Fenway, but it was rained out.

Best part of the trip was basically hanging out with Paco Martin at the Loose Moose in Toronto after an Angels game there.

I'll be heading to PNC, Nationals Park and Yankee Stadium on another baseball trip this September.

TDog
08-03-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm going to the Coliseum in Oakland in a couple of weeks. I will enjoy it because it will be my chance to see the Sox this year.

If the Sox play the Giants in the World Series, I will try to score tickets for those games.

OldRomanPizza
08-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Metrodome: Caught a game there back in 2003. Sox won either 2-1 or 1-0. Loiaza was pitching and Brian Daubach of all people got an RBI (I believe) via a ground rule double for hitting a speaker. The experience was even below my already low expectations. Crowded tunnels, limited exits (seemed like entire third base line and outfield seats had to leave through same exit), bland food and no atmosphere whatsoever. Ill say this though, Twins fans were pretty nice. It probably didnt hurt that we were being hosted by some Twins fans friends of ours, but we were all in Sox gear and cheering every play and nobody seemed to mind. Hung out a little in downtown before the game but this was just before I turned 21 and couldn't really party yet. Took a walk from a parking garage (maybe it was free?) to the stadium that wasn't so bad.

Can't recommend seeing a game there unless you are already in the area, or if its a huge game and being there for a Sox win would be awesome. Then again, its almost time to pop the hole in that sucker! At least baseball wise....

Skydome/Rogers Centre: To prove I am not too biased against the Metrodome or the Twins, let me say that for a dome stadium, the Rogers Centre was a great experience, despite the fact that this was during that miserable four game losing sweep earlier this season. First off, it seemed as though the stadium personnel are excellently trained in customer service from the girls at the Will Call to the ushers. Now maybe we just got real lucky, but it really seem that at least the people we happened to encounter went out of their way to be nice to us visiting fans. We were in the sparsely populated outfield in the 200 level and on the concourse there were a couple of cool bars and lounges that had equally friendly staff. Took a walk down to the lower level and they had a ton of food options from around the world, reflecting Toronto's diverse population. I also found most of the Toronto fans to be pretty nice. A few people gave me some good natured crap but when I told them that I wanted the Jays to finish ahead of the Red Sox and Yankees they warmed up to me. Sure, its in a dome and the crowds are sparse but I really enjoyed it. The stadium is smack dab in the center of downtown Toronto which is my favorite city to visit.

Milwaukee: My only complaint about Miller Field is that you can't really walk there from your hotel. I am a huge fan of that luxury. Other than that I felt it was a great day out, and its even cooler to see Sox fans taking over downtown Milwaukee after the game! Id go back.....

Wrigley Field: It rained, it smelled, it was uncomfortable, and I had to hear in front of both my parents some guy behind us telling a story of how his friend paid for some adult services in his hotel room in Vegas only to pass out before it was his turn. Despite experiences like this, my mom remains a Cubs fan. Oh, the Sox won. ;)

Being up to both Toronto and Milwaukee this year has given me the desire to follow the Sox in even more cities in the future. Its a ton of fun and a great excuse to see a new city. Half the fun for me is meeting new Sox fans!!

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2009, 09:46 PM
Having grown up near Chicago, obviously I've been to old Comiskey and the Cell, and also to the Urinal.

I've lived in the Dallas area for ten years and have been to numerous Rangers games in Arlington.

In 2006 I got into Bush II moments after the Cards won it all. (It was either run with the crowd toward the open gates or get trampled!)

On two separate trips in 2007 I visited RFK (Nats) and AT&T Park (Giants).

In 2008 I saw a Columbus Clippers (AAA) home game.

This year I went to an Orioles-Nats game at Camden Yards and two Sox-Twins games in the Metrodome (including the game where Buehrle broke the record for consecutive batters retired).

manders_01
08-03-2009, 10:25 PM
I've been to games in Comiskey, The Cell, Coors Field, Busch II and The K (in that order :D:).

Have toured Jacobs Field and Rogers Centre (when it was the SkyDome). I've also been in Olympic Stadium (Expos) but it wasn't set up for baseball at the time.

soxfanreggie
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Love bobblehead game roadtrips up to Milwaukee. Have also enjoyed trips to the Tropicana Dome with the family for Sox games where it was quiet enough to have a conversation with Hawk and DJ up in their booth. Coors was a good lookin' field.

Only trip I disliked was going to Wrigley. Was glad I got to go see a game there, but if I don't ever make it back there, it's all right with me.

MrT27
08-03-2009, 10:58 PM
For the past 3 years I've tried to visit a couple new parks a year and I want to do that til I've seen them all. The ones I've been too so far...

US Cellular
Comiskey Park (too young to remember)
Tiger Stadium (too young to remember)
County Stadium (too young to remember)
Wrigley Field
Safeco Field
Yankee Stadium
Busch Stadium II
Fenway Park
Rangers Ballpark (forgot whatever they call it now)
Metrodome
Miller Park
Minute Maid Park
Comerica Park

3 Best
Fenway Park
US Cellular Field
Rangers Ballpark

3 Worst
Yankee Stadium
Wrigley Field
Metrodome

Boondock Saint
08-03-2009, 11:11 PM
A few years ago, my buddies and I took a trip to see a game at Turner Field. The stadium was beautiful, the food was good, and the atmosphere was great. The area around the stadium, though, was terrible.

NDSox12
08-03-2009, 11:22 PM
I have been to every MLB stadium. Starting in 2002, I went to about five new parks every year. So it took me six years to hit them all. The last couple years, I've been going to the new ones that have opened since my initial visits (Washington, St. Louis and both in New York). I plan to continue doing this as new parks open.

I'm currently working on a blog with my reviews of all the stadiums, photos and scanned images of my ticket stubs, programs and scorecards from all the games. It is still a work in progress, but I'll definitely post a link here (and in my profile) when I'm done.

Parrothead
08-04-2009, 12:21 AM
I have been to many Mlb and minor league ballparks, to date about 60.

Favorite MLB: Pittsburgh
Minor league: Fort Wayne Tin Caps

Both parks are perfection.

But check out these guys...they have been almost everywhere.

http://www.thesportsroadtrip.com/

SephClone89
01-29-2011, 10:51 PM
An update to this thread!

Didn't go anywhere but the Cell in 2010, but it looks like I'm going to have some fun in 2011.

I'm going to try to cut down to 5-7 Sox games, but I'll be seeing some new places. In May my family's going to Malibu for my cousin's wedding. Ideally we'd be going to a Dodgers game, but they're not in town, because they're in Chicago playing the Sox. So we're hoping to see a game at Angel Stadium that weekend against the Braves.

In addition to that, for a year or so now I've been talking with one of my good friends who is a huge Yankees fan. He hasn't been to the new park yet, so we've been talking about going out to NYC in August and catching a game. Just last night I noticed that the week we're going to be there is the only week the Mets are also in town! So looks like we'll be able to take in two games in New York.

Anyone else have any plans this season?

Viva Medias B's
01-29-2011, 11:43 PM
I've been to games at:

Old Comiskey Park (demolished)
Wrigley Field
U.S. Cellular Field
Busch Stadium II (demolished)
Dolphin Stadium
Yankee Stadium I (demolished)
County Stadium (demolished)
Riverfront Stadium (demolished)
Oriole Park at Camden Yards
Miller Park
RFK Stadium
Busch Stadium III
And this summer, Kaufman Stadium will be added to the list.

Soxster67
01-30-2011, 10:04 AM
Back in 2009, I took the baseball trip of a lifetime. I was fortunate, thanks to the scheduling gods and a wonderful wife, to attend 9 games in 9 days. I visited 8 ballparks during that trip and saw games in 7 different cities.

The trip started visting PNC Park in Pittsburgh, followed by Camden Yards the next day. On Sunday I visited Nationals Park for the first time. On Monday, I took the train from DC for New York where I went to the New Yankee Stadium followed by visiting Citi Field the next night. On Wednesday, took another train to Boston for a game at Fenway. The next day took the train back to DC to see another game at Nationals Park. On Friday, drove to Philadelphia to see a game at Citizens Bank Ballpark. Finally, on Saturday I headed home to catch a game at Progressive Field.

In addition, I've been to all 3 of Chicago's parks, both of Cincinnati's parks, the original Busch Stadium, Milwaukee County Stadium, Three Rivers Stadium, RFK for the Nationals first season and Memorial Stadium in Baltimore in 1994.

All told I've been to 16 ballparks.

SephClone89
01-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Back in 2009, I took the baseball trip of a lifetime. I was fortunate, thanks to the scheduling gods and a wonderful wife, to attend 9 games in 9 days. I visited 8 ballparks during that trip and saw games in 7 different cities.

The trip started visting PNC Park in Pittsburgh, followed by Camden Yards the next day. On Sunday I visited Nationals Park for the first time. On Monday, I took the train from DC for New York where I went to the New Yankee Stadium followed by visiting Citi Field the next night. On Wednesday, took another train to Boston for a game at Fenway. The next day took the train back to DC to see another game at Nationals Park. On Friday, drove to Philadelphia to see a game at Citizens Bank Ballpark. Finally, on Saturday I headed home to catch a game at Progressive Field.

:o::o::o:
:whiteflag:

:worship:

LITTLE NELL
01-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Comiskey Park...............1955
Wrigley Field.................1955
Yankee Stadium.............1965
Metropolitan Stadium......1966
Shea Stadium................1967
Connie Mack Stadium......1967
Anaheim Stadium...........1975
Fenway Park..................1978
Milwaukee County Stad...1978
Comiskey Park II............1991
Joe Robbie Stadium........1997 (World Series)
Edison Field..................1999
Tropicana Field..............2000
Dodger Stadium.............2009

These are the years of my first game in each park, naturally saw games every year at Comiskey and Comiskey II up until I moved to Florida in 1993. I did not go to Comiskey in 1970 (Worst Sox team ever) and 1968 when I was in Viet Nam. Since it became USCF I've been back in 2004 and 2008. Have not set foot in Wrigley since 1979 but saw many games there as a kid in the 50s and 60s plus many Bear games. Visited County Stadium many times in the 80s. Saw games in Anaheim in 4 differant years as well as Joe Robbie. Have been to the Trop every year since 2000.

Fenway
01-30-2011, 12:09 PM
i have been to a lot of ballparks - current and past

The Best not in any order
AT&T Park
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2097046&id=1014362077&l=40621b695c

PNC Park Pittsburgh
Camden Park

Kauffman Stadium Kansas city
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2035249&id=1014362077&l=4d6db6f041

(I have had many tell me Target Field may be the best one of them all)

The worst

Cleveland Stadium - horrible sightlines even in the box seats
Stade Olympique - Montreal ( it helped kill the team )
Tropicana Field - Hideous
The Vet - Philadelphia
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2097069&id=1014362077&l=d3f6e93896

But I remember one night in the press box at Stade Olympique I mentioned to the late Larry Whiteside how bad a ballpark it was and he replied "You have never been to Kingdome I take it."

Oh yes we can't forget the Metrodome
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024185&id=1014362077&l=9cbeca131a

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2024251&id=1014362077&l=1da933cfc2

TomBradley72
01-30-2011, 01:25 PM
I've been to many of the current and former ballparks.

My personal highlight was a 2 city doubleheader- I went to a day game at Comerica Park in Detroit, then drove around the lake to a night game in Cleveland.

My most recent addition to the list was Skydome last year- what was once "state of the art"- now comes across as a dump or close to it. Reminded me of the Cell before the renovations.

Fenway
01-30-2011, 01:59 PM
One of my most memorable days was June 21, 1989

A friend from Chicago was coming into NY to shoot some interviews and he wanted me to handle the technical work. So I drove down to Shea and we saw the Mets play Montreal.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1989/B06210NYN1989.htm

Then drove to the Bronx in rush hour to see NYY vs the White Sox.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1989/B06210NYA1989.htm

What really hit home was by 1989, Shea had become MTV city with loud blaring music. Yankee Stadium just had Eddie Layton at the organ.

We interviewed the Voice of God in his little booth he shared with the organist and he was a charming man. He had us in hysterics as he told of the day Sherm Feller invited him to Fenway Park and when Reggie Jackson came to bat for California - Sheppard did his - 'Now batting for California .....'

Jackson called time and asked the umpire...."What city am i in?"

Also on the field came an interesting tidbit. Jerry Reuss was standing next to us when he suddenly hopped the rail and sat in the first row and said to us "Why would anyone pay money to sit here?"

He is in uniform and an usher came down and asked to see his ticket and told him to leave...hysterical.

Harry Potter
01-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Anyone else have any plans this season?

Denver in late June for the entire Sox/Rox series.

Fenway
01-30-2011, 02:14 PM
One memory of The Vet

The Phillies pretty much phased out organ music by 2003 and moved the organist to the concourse where he would play before the game. He was very good.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs740.ash1/163271_1755508880236_1014362077_31989750_6785938_n .jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs038.snc6/166798_1755509000239_1014362077_31989752_4614330_n .jpg

He passed away in 2006
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=2612082

Jurr
01-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I can't believe people aren't putting Miami's park in the loser bracket.
My wife and I caught a Marlins/Rockies game during our mini-honeymoon. There were around 8,000 people at the game. The vendors stayed at the rails and passed beers or threw peanuts at people. They have tennis balls with slits cut in them for people to pass back the money for the food. The atmosphere was HORRIBLE.

Jacobs Field (or Progressive) is a pretty nice ballpark.
PNC is an absolute gem, and is mucho affordable.

MrT27
01-30-2011, 03:02 PM
I guess I replied to this thread in 2009. But since then I have added AT&T Park, Oakland Coliseum, and Target Field to the list.

Updated 3 Best:
- Fenway Park
- AT&T Park
- Target Field (If anyone is looking for a close ballpark trip you will NOT be disappointed. Highly recommended.)

My 3 worst are still the same but the Oakland Coliseum is close. Not that it was a bad place to watch a game but it was just very boring and bland (especially with Al Davis blocking the views of the mountains in CF).

Fenway
01-30-2011, 03:08 PM
I guess I replied to this thread in 2009. But since then I have added AT&T Park, Oakland Coliseum, and Target Field to the list.

Updated 3 Best:
- Fenway Park
- AT&T Park
- Target Field (If anyone is looking for a close ballpark trip you will NOT be disappointed. Highly recommended.)

My 3 worst are still the same but the Oakland Coliseum is close. Not that it was a bad place to watch a game but it was just very boring and bland (especially with Al Davis blocking the views of the mountains in CF).

Oakland is bad especially with AT&T on the other side of the bridge
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2097043&id=1014362077&l=f0c9142155

PKalltheway
01-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Here are the parks I've been to so far (the ones still standing anyway):

Wrigley Field: I have visited Wrigley twice, once in 2001 for a Cubs/Sox game and once last year for a Reds/Cubs game. I will say this much: if you're a die-hard baseball fan, and you appreciate the history of the game, you should go at least once. I do appreciate the fact that there is a good amount of organ music there, and you really do feel like you're watching a game from the 1940s or 1950s when you're there for a day game.

However, the fact that you feel like you're in the '40s or '50 can be seen as the negative aspect of the park as well. The concourses are cramped and the food sucks. The damn place is so old that there aren't even railings on the steps in the upper deck. Also, troughs, really?

The baseball historian in me really appreciates the place. However, it's outdated badly, and they need to either renovate it or replace it.

PNC Park: I've seen five games there in two different trips, once in 2007 and once in 2009. It is an absolutely phenomenal ballpark, and it's easily the best one I've been to. It's a shame that they Bucs can't field a better team, because if they do, I truly believe they will sell out on a regular basis. The people of Pittsburgh are very aware that they have one of the crown jewels of baseball ballparks in their city, and I believe at this point in time they are more proud of that than they are of the team.

The park is also within easy walking distance of downtown, and there are plenty of places to eat around the park as well.

Miller Park: Solid ballpark, I can't complain too much. The only thing that sucks is that it's not in downtown.

Rogers Centre: Saw two games up there in 2009. It does feel a little dated in there, but the ballpark is very clean, and really, it isn't that bad. Jays fans are also a little more passionate than a lot of people give them credit for. The only negative thing I have to say about the place is that the food sucks. Also, it can feel rather stuffy when the roof is closed in there, believe it or not. When the roof is open, you do feel as if you're watching a game outdoors, contrary to popular belief.

Great American Ballpark: Awesome place to watch a game, and the Reds have a phenomenal museum devoted to the team's history. Not much negative things I can say about the park, except that you have to go across the river to Newport or Covington for things to do after the game. However, that will be changing this summer as the city of Cincinnati is undergoing a major riverfront redevelopment (finally).

U.S. Cellular Field: Ah, you already know. :cool:

I really would love to go to Kauffman Stadium in KC sometime soon, hopefully this summer.

Harry Potter
01-30-2011, 05:05 PM
PNC is an absolute gem, and is mucho affordable.

Agreed. I went there last summer when the Pirates played the Sox. I was amazed at the overall ballpark experience, especially the ticket prices. Plus having the Allegheny and downtown Pittsburgh as the stadium's backdrop is pretty cool.

Fenway
01-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Agreed. I went there last summer when the Pirates played the Sox. I was amazed at the overall ballpark experience, especially the ticket prices. Plus having the Allegheny and downtown Pittsburgh as the stadium's backdrop is pretty cool.

I was in Pitt last week

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs047.snc6/167784_1751821708059_1014362077_31983408_2781955_n .jpg