PDA

View Full Version : Still NO TV For 8/15 Game?

nug0hs
08-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Hey all:
My schedule calendar I got from the opening homestand says NO TV for the Saturday, August 15th game @ Oakland @ 3 pm. The Sox website also does not list a TV channel for this game.

Could this game really not end up on TV? Does anyone think WCIU or someone else will pick it up? If not, how is it that we live in such a huge TV market but this game will not be broadcasted? This is quite lame, especially for a Saturday game! :angry:

-nug

fram40
08-03-2009, 04:37 PM
That is a Saturday game Unless it is a Fox game, it will not be televised at that time because Fox has exclusive rights from 3 - 6:00 PM on Saturdays

BleacherBandit
08-03-2009, 04:40 PM
And that's why I hate Fox.

nug0hs
08-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Ah yes, I should have thought of that. Guess that closes the book on this question then. I wonder why the Sox/As would have scheduled the game for that time? They should have changed the game time the second they found out that Fox wasn't going to pick up that game. Looks like its the only non-Fox 3pm game on that day. Lame.

Medford Bobby
08-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I guess huddle around the ole XM radio with a cold one then.......:gulp:

whitesoxfan
08-03-2009, 05:26 PM
I don't get this. I just looked at the schedule for 8/15 and there's a grand total of two games that will be on Fox: Indians-Twins and Phillies-Braves. Why can't Fox have a third game that day, like they usually do for Saturday afternoons?

ChicagoRushFan
08-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like Oakland's Sept. 19 game against Cleveland is the same situation.

I know last year Tampa and Florida started games during the first hour of the FOX window to accommodate some of their Saturday night concerts. Usually the teams just join the game in progress.

But not so much luck on the 15th I guess. FOX pays big bucks for the rights so it makes sense they'd want exclusive rights in their window, just too bad the A's want to keep the game as a day game.

I'll just think of it as a throwback day.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 07:15 PM
I notice it's going to be on MLBTV. I'll be in Canada on that day, where the Fox broadcast blackouts do not apply. Is there a possibility that the MLBTV feed will appear on my boyfriend's sports package?

VeeckAsInWreck
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I notice it's going to be on MLBTV. I'll be in Canada on that day, where the Fox broadcast blackouts do not apply. Is there a possibility that the MLBTV feed will appear on my boyfriend's sports package?

Honestly I don't want to hear about your boyfriend's package. :redneck

Since the game is not on TV odds are that there will be no feed from which to carry the game in Canada. Or am I to assume that Hawk and Steve will be calling the game to no one?

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Honestly I don't want to hear about your boyfriend's package. :redneck

Since the game is not on TV odds are that there will be no feed from which to carry the game in Canada. Or am I to assume that Hawk and Steve will be calling the game to no one?
Hahaha! Nicely played. :tongue:

I'm just thinking that, since it's on MLBTV, there HAS to be some video feed for the game.

BleacherBandit
08-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Is it possible that MLB network picks this game up?

SephClone89
08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Is it possible that MLB network picks this game up?

No, because:

Unless it is a Fox game, it will not be televised at that time because Fox has exclusive rights from 3 - 6:00 PM on Saturdays

Brian26
08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
A free churro to the first person who can somehow blame Golden Gopher football on this scheduling quirk.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 07:55 PM
A free churro to the first person who can somehow blame Golden Gopher football on this scheduling quirk.
:scratch:

What does Gopher football have to do with this?

bridgeportcopper
08-03-2009, 08:01 PM

Gopher football had night games a couple of times in September the last few years which caused Sox games in Minnesota to be played at 11 am with a curfew and no TV. Damn Gophers!

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Gopher football had night games a couple of times in September the last few years which caused Sox games in Minnesota to be played at 11 am with a curfew and no TV. Damn Gophers!
I'm aware about that, but I'm wondering how it applies THIS time.

Brian26
08-03-2009, 08:04 PM

:fail:

:thumbsup:

I'm aware about that, but I'm wondering how it applies THIS time.

:rolleyes:

Shoeless
08-03-2009, 08:08 PM
:fail:

:thumbsup:

:rolleyes:
an epic reenactment, sir. I am most impressed.

SoxFan78
08-04-2009, 08:12 AM
I hope somebody throws a no-hitter or perfect game or something historic making happens during this game. Just so it shows MLB how dumb it is to have one game in this day and age blacked out to the WHOLE COUNTRY!

Kogs35
08-04-2009, 08:18 AM
i blame the a's for this cause they dont need to play a game during the fox window if they are not on fox

nug0hs
08-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Well, here is one idea:

http://www.coliseum.com/events/calendar.php

3 showtimes for the Ringling Bros. circus next door in Oracle Arena throughout the day. Maybe they don't want the baseball crowd getting mixed in with the circus crowd. Completely wild guess...

chisox12
08-04-2009, 09:57 AM
I hope somebody throws a no-hitter or perfect game or something historic making happens during this game. Just so it shows MLB how dumb it is to have one game in this day and age blacked out to the WHOLE COUNTRY!

I think the blame falls on the A's for scheduling the game at that time.

hawkjt
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
It is always the A's or Twins who manage to find a way to schedule a game with the Sox that cannot be televised...they just love to torment us.:angry:

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
With the way the Sox play in Oakland, maybe we don't want to see this game.

And does this mean that there will be no highlights of the game on ESPN or Comcast since nobody can broadcast the game?

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2009, 01:24 PM
With the way the Sox play in Oakland, maybe we don't want to see this game.

And does this mean that there will be no highlights of the game on ESPN or Comcast since nobody can broadcast the game?
There has to be some sort of video feed to the game, as it's being advertised as being broadcast on MLBTV.

EnglishChiSox
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
There has to be some sort of video feed to the game, as it's being advertised as being broadcast on MLBTV.

What that usually do is have some randoms commentate on the game with MLB graphics for live out of USA viewing and On demand viewing. The quality is quite bad as well.

The A's have done this a bunch of times already this season, the Giants have done it a couple of times. It's unfortunate but they can't start the game at 10 am pacific, they could start at 4.05pm pacific but obviously they don't want to. But really this is one game out of 162, i can't see of my local soccer team matches when they kick off at 3 pm on Saturdays.

TDog
08-04-2009, 03:25 PM
What that usually do is have some randoms commentate on the game with MLB graphics for live out of USA viewing and On demand viewing. The quality is quite bad as well.

The A's have done this a bunch of times already this season, the Giants have done it a couple of times. It's unfortunate but they can't start the game at 10 am pacific, they could start at 4.05pm pacific but obviously they don't want to. But really this is one game out of 162, i can't see of my local soccer team matches when they kick off at 3 pm on Saturdays.

Saturday afternoon games are the norm in Oakland. It can get chilly at night, even in August. A year ago the Sox played a Saturday afternoon game in Oakland. John Danks won 2-1. I don't know if it was televised back to Chicago -- I was at the game and I don't know if it was televised in the Bay Area -- but I can't imagine FOX wanting to televise the A's in any case.

I can't imagine the A's would have any reason to reschedule a game so that out-of-market people can see it on television. If the timing blacks it out locally, I don't think the A's would object. They aren't drawing fans and it might get more people out to the park. It's cap day. (I got a Steve Henderson jersey last year at an A's game. If I get an A's cap, I'll give it to a kid who doesn't get one.)

Hitmen77
08-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Saturday afternoon games are the norm in Oakland. It can get chilly at night, even in August. A year ago the Sox played a Saturday afternoon game in Oakland. John Danks won 2-1. I don't know if it was televised back to Chicago -- I was at the game and I don't know if it was televised in the Bay Area -- but I can't imagine FOX wanting to televise the A's in any case.

I can't imagine the A's would have any reason to reschedule a game so that out-of-market people can see it on television. If the timing blacks it out locally, I don't think the A's would object. They aren't drawing fans and it might get more people out to the park. It's cap day. (I got a Steve Henderson jersey last year at an A's game. If I get an A's cap, I'll give it to a kid who doesn't get one.)

I believe that game was indeed on Fox.

OldRomanPizza
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Looks like we're all just gonna have to go to the game in person! :redneck

EnglishChiSox
08-04-2009, 04:19 PM

I remember the game well, it was on Fox.

SSrep
08-04-2009, 04:23 PM
I was vacationing out there and went to the Sunday game...where they pistol whipped them 13-1. I'll be going to the Sunday game in Oakland of this year's series as well, hoping for the same result....

DickAllen72
08-04-2009, 06:20 PM
I was vacationing out there and went to the Sunday game...where they pistol whipped them 13-1. I'll be going to the Sunday game in Oakland of this year's series as well, hoping for the same result....
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....pistol whip...

Railsplitter
08-04-2009, 06:53 PM
I don't get this. I just looked at the schedule for 8/15 and there's a grand total of two games that will be on Fox: Indians-Twins and Phillies-Braves. Why can't Fox have a third game that day, like they usually do for Saturday afternoons?

I assume Indians-Twins is in the Twinkie Dome. Since there's no chance of a rainout, there will only be two games available.

nasox
08-04-2009, 06:55 PM

Golden. When I opened the thread, I actually thought this was the reason again.

fram40
08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
but I can't imagine FOX wanting to televise the A's in any case.

but they want to show the Indians?

soxnut1018
08-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....pistol whip...

:rolling:

Shoeless_Jeff
08-11-2009, 09:01 PM
The Sox won't be on TV? That just sucks. No other words for it.

thomas35forever
08-11-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm gonna be out of town on Saturday. It won't matter to me.

cnw8052
08-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Those of us that don't get WCIU go through this weekly.

The Sox won't be on TV? That just sucks. No other words for it.

soxfanreggie
08-11-2009, 11:07 PM
Looks like it'll be the radio for me. If this game wasn't on WGN, ESPN, or Fox, I wouldn't see it anyway. I have come to dislike Farmer and DJ less because I'm listening to them less while driving. I would still like a Dr. to explain while Farmer gives me headaches while driving.

fram40
08-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Looks like it'll be the radio for me. If this game wasn't on WGN, ESPN, or Fox, I wouldn't see it anyway. I have come to dislike Farmer and DJ less because I'm listening to them less while driving. I would still like a Dr. to explain while Farmer gives me headaches while driving.

because it is so damn hard to follow the game when Farmer is doing the play-by-play

MARTINMVP
08-12-2009, 07:51 AM
In my opinion, the MLB on Fox Saturday afternoon exclusive right deal is so pointless. If, for example the White Sox are playing a night game, and therefore, the two or three games shown on FOX feature teams I don't care about, I am not going to watch them just for the sake of watching baseball.

InKennyWeTrust
08-12-2009, 07:52 AM
In my opinion, the MLB on Fox Saturday afternoon exclusive right deal is so pointless. If, for example the White Sox are playing a night game, and therefore, the two or three games shown on FOX feature teams I don't care about, I am not going to watch them just for the sake of watching baseball.
Everyone isn't like you.

stacksedwards
08-12-2009, 09:30 AM
Bears play Saturday so not all is lost.

PeteFitz
08-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Preseason football?

Ugh. I'd rather watch the cubs. At least I'd care who loses.

TDog
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Preseason football?

Ugh. I'd rather watch the cubs. At least I'd care who loses.

Considering football is the one major sport that should have no preseason games, I have no idea why preseason games are such a big deal that all are televised.

As for the Sox game Saturday, baseball is a great radio sport if you can't be at the ballpark.

Andy T Clown
08-13-2009, 03:55 PM
On FOX according to the Trib's web site.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/

sox1970
08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
On FOX according to the Trib's web site.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/

Trib's website is wrong.

Walker29
08-13-2009, 04:16 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9912566/Jays-have-a-lot-to-gain-by-letting-Rios-go

Top corner of the foxsports.com page has the games for this weekend on Fox...Sox vs. A's is not one of them.

Ranger
08-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Not on TV and not going to be. Apparently, the A's had the option to move up the game one hour (meaning it would have started at noon Oakland time, not 1pm) and they would've been able to air the game. From what I understand, however, the A's didn't want to do that because there is some sort of team activity or something later in the evening, and they didn't want to inconvenience the players for an hour. That may not be the full story, of course, but that's what I know.

TDog
08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
Not on TV and not going to be. Apparently, the A's had the option to move up the game one hour (meaning it would have started at noon Oakland time, not 1pm) and they would've been able to air the game. From what I understand, however, the A's didn't want to do that because there is some sort of team activity or something later in the evening, and they didn't want to inconvenience the players for an hour. That may not be the full story, of course, but that's what I know.

Starting at noon also would inconvenience people attending the game, especially considering there is a possibility of a BART strike, and a good portion of the fans depend on BART to get to the game.

In fact, the contract negotiations have the potential of screwing up my weekend plans a bit.

Ranger
08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Starting at noon also would inconvenience people attending the game, especially considering there is a possibility of a BART strike, and a good portion of the fans depend on BART to get to the game.

In fact, the contract negotiations have the potential of screwing up my weekend plans a bit.

An hour earlier start time would cause that much of a hassle for fans? There can't be that many of them going to watch a team 18 games out of first, anyway.

gobears1987
08-13-2009, 10:16 PM
An hour earlier start time would cause that much of a hassle for fans? There can't be that many of them going to watch a team 18 games out of first, anyway.
I have to think that they purposely scheduled a game so it wouldn't be on TV. They struggle to draw fans so they want them to come out on a Saturday afternoon. It's the same crap that Dollar Bill Wirtz played with home blackouts when he owned the Hawks. I have no other explanation.

tacosalbarojas
08-13-2009, 10:19 PM
And the best two posts come last. What a crock by the A's. They deserve the hellhole that is Oakland.

anewman35
08-13-2009, 10:25 PM

They probably just don't give a ****. Like a lot of smaller market teams, they don't broadcast every game on tv, and people deal (See KC http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast.jsp?c_id=kc and PIT http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast.jsp?c_id=pit). Since their fans (the few they may have) have obviously accepted that fact that not every game will be on tv, it seems perfectly logical that they wouldn't want to change plans on their employees and ticketholders just to help people in Chicago.

TDog
08-14-2009, 12:09 AM

I've gone to White Sox games when the Sox were 40 games out of first when I lived outside of Chicago, I didn't just go to games when they were contending. I wouldn't be a Sox fan today if as a kid I only went to games when they were contending.

It is arrogant to think that the A's should place a priority on scheduling a game so that White Sox fans can watch it on television. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the way they draw, they should welcome a blackout. It's cap day, and they are looking for a big crowd, although I'm not sure they'll get one.

I also think it would be wrong to reschedule the game. People who buy tickets in advance make their plans around ballgames. I think that any time a game is rescheduled, fans who bought tickets in advance should be entitled to a refund if the tickets go unused.

EnglishChiSox
08-14-2009, 05:34 AM

From what i read from the FOX blackout restrictions any game starting after 1.10pm EST and before 7pm EST is blacked out unless on FOX, if they had started an hour earlier it would still only be 3.05 pm EST and therefore still subject to National Blackout restrictions

Whitesoxfan23
08-14-2009, 06:16 AM
So this will not even be on MLB tv?

nug0hs
08-14-2009, 09:30 AM
So this will not even be on MLB tv?

I believe they do a slimmed-down broadcast with MLB Network commentators, at least that is what I remember from wheN I had MLB.tv a few years ago.

hawkjt
08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
I've gone to White Sox games when the Sox were 40 games out of first when I lived outside of Chicago, I didn't just go to games when they were contending. I wouldn't be a Sox fan today if as a kid I only went to games when they were contending.

It is arrogant to think that the A's should place a priority on scheduling a game so that White Sox fans can watch it on television. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the way they draw, they should welcome a blackout. It's cap day, and they are looking for a big crowd, although I'm not sure they'll get one.

I also think it would be wrong to reschedule the game. People who buy tickets in advance make their plans around ballgames. I think that any time a game is rescheduled, fans who bought tickets in advance should be entitled to a refund if the tickets go unused.

What about A's fans that cannot attend the game? Does A's management not give a crap about allowing them to watch the game on TV?
We are spoiled, I admit it, but if the Sox did the same thing, with a home game in August,refusing to move it back an hour or have a nite game, you think the fans would welcome it so that those who attend would not be hassled?
I presume that Billy Beane looked at that schedule in the winter and said, hey, f you Kenny Williams, and decided to tweak the Sox ,which he seems to love to do.

Kogs35
08-14-2009, 10:17 AM
From what i read from the FOX blackout restrictions any game starting after 1.10pm EST and before 7pm EST is blacked out unless on FOX, if they had started an hour earlier it would still only be 3.05 pm EST and therefore still subject to National Blackout restrictions

thats only for extra innings. the 110 eastern start

tebman
08-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Well, I was hoping somebody at MLB or at Fox would come to their senses and realize their mistake. Apparently not.

I'm writing the Totally Biased Game Recap on Saturday and I won't be able to see the game. I'm going to be at an event on Saturday and I was counting on catching the game on TV there, but it's not meant to be.

Maybe I'll be able to reconstruct it like old radio broadcasters did from the tickertape. I might even be able to add crowd noises and thwock! sounds with a couple of pieces of wood. Maybe I'll just make it up -- Sox win!

Damn TV networks.

chaotic8512
08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
They probably just don't give a ****. Like a lot of smaller market teams, they don't broadcast every game on tv, and people deal (See KC http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast.jsp?c_id=kc and PIT http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/schedule/broadcast.jsp?c_id=pit). Since their fans (the few they may have) have obviously accepted that fact that not every game will be on tv, it seems perfectly logical that they wouldn't want to change plans on their employees and ticketholders just to help people in Chicago.

Looking at the Royals' TV schedule, I see they broadcast all 4 Red Sox games and all 3 Yankees games (all 7 in HD, of course), yet show 4 of 9 Twins, 3 of 6 Indians, and 3 of 6 against us (none in HD). That's a great message to send to the fans: divisional rivals aren't important... let's show you the same crap ESPN feeds you!

TDog
08-14-2009, 01:21 PM
What about A's fans that cannot attend the game? Does A's management not give a crap about allowing them to watch the game on TV?
We are spoiled, I admit it, but if the Sox did the same thing, with a home game in August,refusing to move it back an hour or have a nite game, you think the fans would welcome it so that those who attend would not be hassled?
I presume that Billy Beane looked at that schedule in the winter and said, hey, f you Kenny Williams, and decided to tweak the Sox ,which he seems to love to do.

There is no reason for the A's to move the game that is more inconvenient for people attending the game. It has nothing to do with the fact that the White Sox are in town.

Living in the Central Valley, where I am surrounded by A's fans, I would be upset if the game were moved to noon -- that hour makes a huge difference --and I certainly wouldn't want to deal with a Saturday night game.

#1swisher
08-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Well, I was hoping somebody at MLB or at Fox would come to their senses and realize their mistake. Apparently not.

I'm writing the Totally Biased Game Recap on Saturday and I won't be able to see the game. I'm going to be at an event on Saturday and I was counting on catching the game on TV there, but it's not meant to be.

Maybe I'll be able to reconstruct it like old radio broadcasters did from the tickertape. I might even be able to add crowd noises and thwock! sounds with a couple of pieces of wood. Maybe I'll just make it up -- Sox win!

Damn TV networks.

I think you've got it!:tongue:

DumpJerry
08-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Damn TV networks.
Write it on Friday so you can enjoy yourself on Saturday.

VeeckAsInWreck
08-14-2009, 03:09 PM
It's a good thing Jake Peavy wasn't supposed to start this one. Otherwise you'd have the real Sox army show up to Fox Headquarters with a tank and plenty of ammo.

http://cinematropolis.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/rambo.jpg

Ranger
08-14-2009, 10:10 PM

There is nothing arrogant about it at all. Teams routinely will accommodate opponents whenever they can in terms of scheduling requests. This is an occasion where it would not have been a last minute change. They've been working on this to get it done for quite a while now. It's not really about helping the fans as it is about the team asking for help.

The game just can't start at 3pm central if they want a local broadcast.

jabrch
08-14-2009, 10:44 PM
The way this team has been playing, I'm glad we're not going to have to see it. :angry:

Who makes you watch it?

Mohoney
08-14-2009, 11:29 PM
Is it against the rules for a team to show a game as a taped broadcast after Fox's window is expired? I seem to remember the Bulls doing this a few times to skirt ABC's window.

It wouldn't be live, but it would be better than nothing.

ode to veeck
08-15-2009, 12:18 AM
The way this team has been playing, I'm glad we're not going to have to see it. :angry:

oh get a grip please

minutia
08-16-2009, 02:20 AM
There is nothing arrogant about it at all. Teams routinely will accommodate opponents whenever they can in terms of scheduling requests. This is an occasion where it would not have been a last minute change. They've been working on this to get it done for quite a while now. It's not really about helping the fans as it is about the team asking for help.

The game just can't start at 3pm central if they want a local broadcast.

Weren't the Cubs on Comcast this afternoon? From what I saw it didn't look like a rebroadcast. I could be wrong though.

Also, I fully support a refund for rescheduled games. Every time I buy tickets to take my mom to a fireworks game Fox takes it. It really makes me mad sometimes.