PDA

View Full Version : Calling Sox Army: Pepsi Clutch Performer of the Month

kellykid
08-03-2009, 02:36 PM
http://pepsiclutch.mlb.com/

Shoeless_Jeff
08-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Is it just me or are some of the choices there, besides the obvious right one, pretty stupid?

kellykid
08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
Is it just me or are some of the choices there, besides the obvious right one, pretty stupid?

Here's the criteria and who makes the selections.

" July nominees for the "Major League Baseball Clutch Performer of the Month Presented by Pepsi" were announced today. This award recognizes the player who consistently performed at his best when the game was on the line during the month of July. The six nominees are selected each month by a special editorial panel from MLB.com, the official website of Major League Baseball, and fans vote for the monthly winner from among those nominees via an online ballot"

gobears1987
08-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I think Juan Uribe intentionally made the error so that Buehrle wouldn't have competition from another perfect game.

GoGoCrede
08-03-2009, 03:05 PM
Let's see here...an RBI single or a perfect game? A dilemma, indeed. :smile:

Edit - Althought it was against the Twins.

BringBackBlkJack
08-03-2009, 05:30 PM
I voted, and also entered to win the two tickets to the 2010 All-Star game. I hope I win; it would be awesome to go and see Gordon Beckham's 1st All-Star appearance.

Frankfan4life
08-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Mission accomplished!

BleacherBandit
08-03-2009, 05:52 PM
This confuses me because I don't really know what "clutch" entails if you throw a perfect game in there. I've always thought hitting RBIs/hitting in the late innings when your team is losing is clutch. The pitching equivalent of clutch-ness would be pitching well in an important game, like in the playoffs, or closing out a tight game. Under those parameters, the situation is what makes a play clutch, not the player.

The thing with the perfect game is that it wasn't high-strung to begin with. Buehrle just made it that way for himself by pitching the perfect game. He made it clutch for himself to pull off.

That being said, I know this is kind of a vague award, so I voted for Buehrle on the grounds that it was the most impressive, and that you'd be an idiot not to.

Rohan
08-03-2009, 06:02 PM
This confuses me because I don't really know what "clutch" entails if you throw a perfect game in there. I've always thought hitting RBIs/hitting in the late innings when your team is losing is clutch. The pitching equivalent of clutch-ness would be pitching well in an important game, like in the playoffs, or closing out a tight game. Under those parameters, the situation is what makes a play clutch, not the player.

The thing with the perfect game is that it wasn't high-strung to begin with. Buehrle just made it that way for himself by pitching the perfect game. He made it clutch for himself to pull off.

That being said, I know this is kind of a vague award, so I voted for Buehrle on the grounds that it was the most impressive, and that you'd be an idiot not to.

Maybe that one pitch was clutch? I don't know... Look's like they're just butchering the definition of the word.

soxfanreggie
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Got the job done. If a perfect game doesn't win this thing, man alive...

gobears1987
08-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Got the job done. If a perfect game doesn't win this thing, man alive...
The only option up there that can threaten it is the no-no because it wasn't the pitcher's fault that Uribe sucks.

soxfanreggie
08-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Close but no cigar on the no-hitter :smile:. Part of the credit goes to the Sox defense, but Mark gets the award for his gem.

RadioheadRocks
08-04-2009, 01:40 AM
My vote is in. :D:

guillen4life13
08-04-2009, 04:24 AM
Honestly I think Dewayne Wise should be on (and win) the contest. His catch and a few clutch knocks in July were pretty crucial.

Foulke You
08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I voted for Derek Lee's RBI triple!

MarySwiss
08-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Voted. :smile:

jsg-07
08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Congrats to Mark!!

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/mlb/fan_forum/pepsi/2009/index.jsp

kellykid
08-11-2009, 06:36 PM