PDA

View Full Version : Great Time to be a Sox fan...

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Can anyone remember a time when this team was garnering so much positive national press and rightfully so?

From the great press they received at the ASG to the perfect game which was compounded by "the catch" (which has earned it's own national spotlight) to the aqcuisition of Peavy in a last minute deadline deal and now the 3 game hammering of the redhot Yankees.

All of a sudden everyone is paying attention. It's great to come to this forum daily and see another positive national article about some aspect of our White Sox. It can't hurt our FA chances to have this much great news gushing out about our little team that can from the Southside of Chicago (in the baddest part of town :wink: ).

Even from purely a baseball perspective there's reason to be hopeful and happy as the Sox make their 4th run at the playoffs in the last 5 years.

This is it, folks, this is why we are fans. This shining moment in time is ours. Enjoy it, live it, love it. The Sox are here to stay...

spawn
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Agreed. I've said it before and I'll say it again, even if the Sox don't make the playoffs this year, I've really enjoyed this season From the MB perfect game complete with Wise's catch, to the development of Beckham and Getz, this has been a frustrating, yet fun team to watch. It looks like we have talent again in the Minors. And KW is continuing to get praise as one of the gutsiest GM's in Baseball. It's definitely a great time to be a Sox fan!

Madvora
08-03-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't feel it as much with a record 2 games over .500, but I'm expecting that to improve. The best I've felt about a team during the regular season was during 2000 when they were so far ahead that an occasional loss didn't bother me at all.
As for the attention, that's the last thing I'm thinking about. I like the players on this team a lot. They have a lot of young exciting guys and it looks like we're built for the future.

Red Barchetta
08-03-2009, 10:26 AM
I agree that we have received some great national exposure over the last month. The series win against the Yankees also helped. However, I have guarded optimism because so far in 2009, this current White Sox team has been very streaky. I was at the absolute top of my emotional roller coaster with this team after Mark threw his perfect game and the SOX moved into a first place tie with Detroit. After losing 6 out of the next 7 games against Detroit and Minnesota, I was so frustrated with their lack of consistency, I promised not to get too excited again until they showed more consistency.

I think the Peavy deal has provided an emotional shot in the arm to the team. We might have added by subtraction with trading Anderson as there might have been some clubhouse issues addressed as well.

October26
08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Can anyone remember a time when this team was garnering so much positive national press and rightfully so?

From the great press they received at the ASG to the perfect game which was compounded by "the catch" (which has earned it's own national spotlight) to the aqcuisition of Peavy in a last minute deadline deal and now the 3 game hammering of the redhot Yankees.

All of a sudden everyone is paying attention. It's great to come to this forum daily and see another positive national article about some aspect of our White Sox. It can't hurt our FA chances to have this much great news gushing out about our little team that can from the Southside of Chicago (in the baddest part of town :wink: ).

Even from purely a baseball perspective there's reason to be hopeful and happy as the Sox make their 4th run at the playoffs in the last 5 years.

This is it, folks, this is why we are fans. This shining moment in time is ours. Enjoy it, live it, love it. The Sox are here to stay...

:bandance: Oh Voodoo, thanks for expressing my sentiments exactly. Yes, it is a great time to be a Sox fan. And how about Beckham - he's Mr. Amazing. So much talent bundled into one player! Our Sox team this year is a very interesting combination of pitching, power and speed. I just loved that double steal that Ozzie called during last Friday's game against the Yankees.

Yes, the defense has been shaky at times and granted the Sox schedule is tough for the month of August, but they are battling for first place. How many July 31st's have we suffered through where we were in last place, or near last place with no hope of ever seeing first place in the division?

Without a doubt, this is a great time to be a Sox fan and I'm loving it!

hi im skot
08-03-2009, 10:29 AM
I like this team a lot more than I like last year's team.

jabrch
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't recall a bad time to be a Sox fan. Even in the days we struggled, I enjoy the game too much. That being said, the potential this team has to really be relevant in the WS discussion for the next 3-5 years is fantastic.

doublem23
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM

October, 2005. :wink:

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't feel it as much with a record 2 games over .500, but I'm expecting that to improve. The best I've felt about a team during the regular season was during 2000 when they were so far ahead that an occasional loss didn't bother me at all.
As for the attention, that's the last thing I'm thinking about. I like the players on this team a lot. They have a lot of young exciting guys and it looks like we're built for the future.

The cool thing is the games matter. It's August and win or lose Sox fans have a reason to watch and care about the outcome of games. If you back off from the frustration of losing it's great entertainment - and seeing as that's what it's supposed to be I can't really argue. Make the playoffs or not this year (and I hope and expect the Sox will) right now the games are fun to watch.

From the looks of things this Angels series is going to be epic. Both teams seem to be playing great ball.

This is why we play the games...

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 10:35 AM

Yes and hopefully we can get some more of that press in the next few years (including this one?) :whistle:

asindc
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree completely. For those WSIers who are under the age of 30, you will just have to put up with us "more experienced" Sox fans who have had a "don't worry, be happy" attitude the past few years. This has been the best five-year stretch of Sox baseball in our lifetimes. Adding to that for me personally is that I no longer have to correct casual fans here on the East Coast when they assume I'm a Cubs fan since I root for a Chicago baseball team (still working on making people think twice before assuming it's the Red Sox when they hear Sox, though).

What I appreciate most about the current state of the Sox is that we have an owner who was willing to change his approach after 20 years of ownership, a GM who has instilled an attitude within the organization that we are expected to pursue a championship every year, and a manager who is not afraid to be unpopular to get the results he wants. It is especially nice that all three are longtime Sox guys.

hawkjt
08-03-2009, 10:52 AM
I also am excited about this organization right now.
The infusion of young talent the last two years(Danks,Floyd,Quentin,Alexei,Beckham,Getz,Nix) along with the Peavy acquisition,and the Viciedo,Danks,Flowers types down on the farm have just changed the dynamic of the whole organization...

I was dreading the inevitable aging of the 05 World Series Champ..pretty much everyone in sports goes thru down periods after a good run(cept the Yanks) but I think Kenny has pulled off a real coup here...re-build on the run, win divisions, and make another run.

Of course,it is impossible to predict that the Sox are guaranteed a good run going thru the Peavy contract, but I really like our chances.
The fact that our new guys are all athletic is a real bonus. Speed seems to be making a comeback as steroids fade...Sox have re-tooled with speed at the precisely right time...timing is everything and Kenny's crystal ball has been working well the last year or so.

Bobby Thigpen
08-03-2009, 10:58 AM
I am happy the team is playing decently well (most of the time- last road trip excepted). I am happy that they have some younger players that make the future seem brighter. I am happy that management and ownership seem genuinely interested in making the team a winner and keeping them there.

I could give a crap if they are getting positive media attention. Why does that make a difference in my fandom for the team? I don't root for the Sox so others can read glowing reports on them and congratulate me on my choice of teams.

I can think of no other fan base that apparently cares so much of what other people think of them.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree completely. For those WSIers who are under the age of 30, you will just have to put up with us "more experienced" Sox fans who have had a "don't worry, be happy" attitude the past few years. This has been the best five-year stretch of Sox baseball in our lifetimes. Adding to that for me personally is that I no longer have to correct casual fans here on the East Coast when they assume I'm a Cubs fan since I root for a Chicago baseball team (still working on making people think twice before assuming it's the Red Sox when they hear Sox, though).

What I appreciate most about the current state of the Sox is that we have an owner who was willing to change his approach after 20 years of ownership, a GM who instilled an attitude within the organization that we are expected to pursuit a championship every year, and a manager who is not afraid to be unpopular to get the results he wants. It is especially nice that all three are longtime Sox guys.
I couldn't agree with you more. This IS the Golden Age of White Sox Baseball that we've been in. I give a lot of appreciation to all of you older Sox fans who dealt with years upon years of pretty dim times. I'm 27, so I really don't know what those were like.

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 11:01 AM
I am happy the team is playing decently well (most of the time- last road trip excepted). I am happy that they have some younger players that make the future seem brighter. I am happy that management and ownership seem genuinely interested in making the team a winner and keeping them there.

I could give a crap if they are getting positive media attention. Why does that make a difference in my fandom for the team? I don't root for the Sox so others can read glowing reports on them and congratulate me on my choice of teams.

I can think of no other fan base that apparently cares so much of what other people think of them.

It may matter in terms of landing big name FA's. I mean no player thinks twice about signing with the Red Sox or Yankees because they are viewed as winners.

Marketing matters and in this business marketing is spelled: Positive national press.

Bobby Thigpen
08-03-2009, 11:02 AM
http://weblogs.cltv.com/news/local/chicago/Money%20stacks.jpg
That's why most FA's don't bat an eye about signing with NY or Boston.

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2009, 11:03 AM
I like this team a lot more than I like last year's team.

By far.

Although we had break out seasons by Danks, Gavin, Alexei, & Carlos, the prospects for the future are even brighter now with Beckham doing what he is doing and Getz showing some flashes. But what you still have down in the farm when it comes to position players, WOW! Add the Peavy trade which in terms is a "trade for the future," Things couldn't look any better for the Sox right now.

Iwritecode
08-03-2009, 11:17 AM

So the secret to not getting ignored by the media is to win a WS, throw a perfect game or trade for a cy young award winning pitcher?

Why didn't we think of this years ago?

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 11:18 AM
http://weblogs.cltv.com/news/local/chicago/Money%20stacks.jpg
That's why most FA's don't bat an eye about signing with NY or Boston.

And when the choice comes down to the Nationals or the Yankees for basically the same contract, who do you think the player signs with?

asindc
08-03-2009, 11:21 AM

I take that you haven't spent much time around Boston fans.:?:

bigdommer
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
For the folks at WSI, I think the Peavy deal was a real shot in the arm because it reaffirms that KW is going to do whatever it takes to win now, while not sacrificing the future. There has been a lot of speculation that after last offseason and KW's attendance comments, that the Sox would not be adding any payroll, and may even slash payroll. Now, one can use the "money is fungible" argument and say that the Sox will pay Peavy with the money they save from Contreras and Thome. Nevertheless, JR could have directed KW to save that money, and he did not. That is why this is a great time to be a Sox fan.

russ99
08-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Well for me, the best point during the regular season to be a Sox fan was summer of 78 when were in first. After that, I'd say the few weeks after A.J's homer vs. the Dodgers in '05 and all-star break of 2006. Trumping all was the Series win.

This year isn't close yet, but could be really interesting down the road, either this year or next season.

Bobby Thigpen
08-03-2009, 01:14 PM
I take that you haven't spent much time around Boston fans.:?:
No I haven't.

Hitmen77
08-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Great post/thread VC! I have been thinking exactly the same thing! I started thinking about this after a Sox fan friend remarked after the perfect game how it still seems strange that the Sox are actually getting so much positive attention.

I totally agree that, at least in my lifetime, the period from 2005 through now has been the golden age to be a Sox fan. Of course the WS championship outshines everything else. But we have had other great memories over the last few years: MB's first no-hitter, Thome's 500th HR (albeit during an awful season), the "blackout game", MB's perfect game. It's been fun to see the "First Fan" in Sox attire.

Trades? The Sox made 3 incredible trades to land unknown rookies named Floyd, Danks, and Quentin. Now the Peavy trade has us excited.

The Cell has been transformed into a warm, attractive ballpark that is no longer "much maligned". The neighborhood around the Cell has dramatically improved over the last 5-10 years. As asindc pointed out, it's no longer automatically assumed I'm a Cubs fan when I travel out of town. On top of all that, many of the Sox top stars just come across as incredibly likeable people: Buehrle, Konerko, Dye, Thome.....all class acts.

This is a far, far cry from what it was like to be a Sox fan in 1978-80. After the surprising '77 season, the Sox were terrible and were barely an afterthought in Chicago. If that wasn't bad enough, in the late 80s, the Sox were awful again, barely an afterthought, buried on pay tv, and seemingly headed for a move to Florida. There obviously has been some good moments over the last 30 years: The '83 division title, the promising young team of the early 90s, the 2000 division champs......but nothing even comes close to what it's like to be a Sox fan now. Now, the Sox just need to bring a 2nd World Series trophy to the South Side.:cool:

Bobby Thigpen
08-03-2009, 01:19 PM
And when the choice comes down to the Nationals or the Yankees for basically the same contract, who do you think the player signs with?
1. I don't think the Nationals have ever offered the same player the same amount of money as the Yankees. They can't or won't.
2. If the offers were equal, it depends on the player. Most would choose the Yankees because the Nationals suck. The Sox don't suck. It's not a fair comparison.
3. Has a small market, non ESPN team been able to compete with NY or Boston monetarily? CC, Texeira, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Josh Beckett, etc may claim they went there to win, but ultimately they went there because those two teams offered them more money than anyone else.

You can say it's about publicity, but ultimately it's about money. We'll never know if a player would choose the Nats over the Yankees because they'll never be able to throw around the kinda cash that NY can.

SI1020
08-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. This IS the Golden Age of White Sox Baseball that we've been in. I give a lot of appreciation to all of you older Sox fans who dealt with years upon years of pretty dim times. I'm 27, so I really don't know what those were like. The years from 68-70 were pretty dim indeed. Lonely too. Taking it ahead another decade, from 68-80 the Sox only had two winning seasons and one year at .500. There were constant threats to move the team to Milwaukee, Seattle and Denver. Lean times indeed. As far as this year's White Sox goes they leave me at times frustrated and underwhelmed. I'm sorry but I'm not going to do cartwheels for a team that's 54-52. OTOH the future does look bright. For the first time in a long time we actually have some real prospects on the team and down in the minors. I can't wait for Peavy to take the mound. The Sox looked stacked and ready for the future.

Jollyroger2
08-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree that we have received some great national exposure over the last month. The series win against the Yankees also helped. However, I have guarded optimism because so far in 2009, this current White Sox team has been very streaky. I was at the absolute top of my emotional roller coaster with this team after Mark threw his perfect game and the SOX moved into a first place tie with Detroit. After losing 6 out of the next 7 games against Detroit and Minnesota, I was so frustrated with their lack of consistency, I promised not to get too excited again until they showed more consistency.

I think the Peavy deal has provided an emotional shot in the arm to the team. We might have added by subtraction with trading Anderson as there might have been some clubhouse issues addressed as well.

This pretty much echoes how I feel. I've said so many times it's hard to get super excited since all season they have their ups, then downs...they win a few then lose a few and consistently hover around .500. Were they in any other division they'd be miles out of first.

But, they aren't...so again after almost sweeping the Yankees I once again feel pretty good about things. But if they follow their normal pattern, they'll do well against Anaheim and then stumble against the next few opponents.

But still, with the Peavy trade optimism is high. I just wish they'd win more consistently and start pulling away from that .500 mark.

soxfanatlanta
08-03-2009, 01:25 PM
We will be lucky if they finish above KC.

-HomeFish

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 01:32 PM
1. I don't think the Nationals have ever offered the same player the same amount of money as the Yankees. They can't or won't.
2. If the offers were equal, it depends on the player. Most would choose the Yankees because the Nationals suck. The Sox don't suck. It's not a fair comparison.
3. Has a small market, non ESPN team been able to compete with NY or Boston monetarily? CC, Texeira, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, Josh Beckett, etc may claim they went there to win, but ultimately they went there because those two teams offered them more money than anyone else.

You can say it's about publicity, but ultimately it's about money. We'll never know if a player would choose the Nats over the Yankees because they'll never be able to throw around the kinda cash that NY can.

Actually, Nats have some decent money to spend normally. They even signed Adam Dunn to a fat contract last year. If the Yankees want, they can outbid anyone. What about the Rangers or Orioles as an example instead of the Nats?

The Yankees for all that hype about them being winners haven't won a championship in the new millennium. However, they are perceived as being winners and being a good place to play because they constantly get tons and tons of positive press. Yes, that comes from regularly making the playoffs, but it doesn't hurt that they are constantly being hyped by national media members. Obviously the Yankee mystique plays into it, but again, that's driven by national media hype.

Having positive national press about the Sox can't be a bad thing. I'm not hung up on my image as a Sox fan based on what is said about the team, but again, it certainly cannot hurt the team to have them constantly in the national spotlight in a positive manner.

tebman
08-03-2009, 01:37 PM
I totally agree that, at least in my lifetime, the period from 2005 through now has been the golden age to be a Sox fan. Of course the WS championship outshines everything else. But we have had other great memories over the last few years: MB's first no-hitter, Thome's 500th HR (albeit during an awful season), the "blackout game", MB's perfect game. It's been fun to see the "First Fan" in Sox attire.

Trades? The Sox made 3 incredible trades to land unknown rookies named Floyd, Danks, and Quentin. Now the Peavy trade has us excited.

The Cell has been transformed into a warm, attractive ballpark that is no longer "much maligned". The neighborhood around the Cell has dramatically improved over the last 5-10 years. As asindc pointed out, it's no longer automatically assumed I'm a Cubs fan when I travel out of town. On top of all that, many of the Sox top stars just come across as incredibly likeable people: Buehrle, Konerko, Dye, Thome.....all class acts.

This is a far, far cry from what it was like to be a Sox fan in 1978-80. After the surprising '77 season, the Sox were terrible and were barely an afterthought in Chicago. If that wasn't bad enough, in the late 80s, the Sox were awful again, barely an afterthought, buried on pay tv, and seemingly headedg for a move to Florida. There obviously has been some good moments over the last 30 years: The '83 division title, the promising young team of the early 90s, the 2000 division champs......but nothing even comes close to what it's like to be a Sox fan now. Now, the Sox just need to bring a 2nd World Series trophy to the South Side.:cool:

Amen to all of that. One of the things KW doesn't get enough credit for, IMHO, is that not only does he search high and low for good talent, but also for good people. By and large the Sox roster during KW's tenure has been made up of hard-working, team-first players and coaches who are simply great guys. He looks for the whole package -- the tools and the personality.

The Sox have been on an in-contention run during KW's time that compares with the great Sox teams of the early-mid 1960s that always seemed to finish an eyelash behind the Yankees. Y'gotta love it.

1978-80 were bleak years indeed. The late '80s were depressing, both because of the team's poor play and the threat of the Florida move. Those who are lucky enough to not have lived through that will have to take our word for it.

These are the good old days.

asindc
08-03-2009, 01:41 PM
No I haven't.

Well, that might explain why you have a hard time thinking of another group of fans who enjoy the increased recognition as much as Sox fans. I've lived here on the East Coast for 25 years now. Believe me, Sox fans are not alone in that regard.

About the money: FA don't always take the most money no matter what. As you noted, the relative competitiveness of the teams is a factor. Other factors are weather, proximity to home/where they grew up, whether or not they have to move, and off-field opportunities.

The other factor being debated here can be crudely referred to as the "cool" factor. In other words, which team would it be cooler to play for? How much does this factor into a FA's decision? Of course, that depends on the FA. Let's just speculate that it accounts for somewhere between 1-4% of a typical FA's decision. Should we care as fans? Well, I personally like the Sox being thought of as a preferred destination, much to the same extent as I welcome bandwagon fans. Anything that helps the Sox win, I'm in support of.

GoGoCrede
08-03-2009, 01:43 PM
As one of the younger Sox fans here at 21, I'd say my generation of Sox fans is definitely spoiled. I mean, the World Series win and the blackout game alone...if there is a better time to be a Sox fan in the future, I'd love to see it.

Looking forward to sharing all this with my kids one day. :gulp:I'm in it for the long haul.

LITTLE NELL
08-03-2009, 02:52 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. This IS the Golden Age of White Sox Baseball that we've been in. I give a lot of appreciation to all of you older Sox fans who dealt with years upon years of pretty dim times. I'm 27, so I really don't know what those were like.
I'm not sure if I would call it a golden age. We have a pretty good decade going with the WS win and a couple division titles but I still think that the 1951 to 1967 years are still the best, 17 straight winning seasons with 7 of them at 90+ wins and a trip to the series in 59.
I feel that even if we dont win this year that we have a nucleus of a real strong club and should contend for another WS in the next few years.

DSpivack
08-03-2009, 03:13 PM

Actually, Nats have some decent money to spend normally. They even signed Adam Dunn to a fat contract last year. If the Yankees want, they can outbid anyone. What about the Rangers or Orioles as an example instead of the Nats?

The Yankees for all that hype about them being winners haven't won a championship in the new millennium. However, they are perceived as being winners and being a good place to play because they constantly get tons and tons of positive press. Yes, that comes from regularly making the playoffs, but it doesn't hurt that they are constantly being hyped by national media members. Obviously the Yankee mystique plays into it, but again, that's driven by national media hype.

Having positive national press about the Sox can't be a bad thing. I'm not hung up on my image as a Sox fan based on what is said about the team, but again, it certainly cannot hurt the team to have them constantly in the national spotlight in a positive manner.

The Nationals supposedly offered Maryland-native Mark Teixeira just as big a contract [if not larger] than did the Yankees.

bigdommer
08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
The Nationals supposedly offered Maryland-native Mark Teixeira just as big a contract [if not larger] than did the Yankees.

Nats offered 8 years and $160MM, while the Yankees signed him for 8 years and $180MM.

That doesn't seem like a big difference, but it's $2.5MM per year. Also, the Nats would have had the Texas/A-Rod effect, spending all of their money on one player while being unable to afford building around him.

captain54
08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
If you back off from the frustration of losing it's great entertainment - and seeing as that's what it's supposed to be I can't really argue. Make the playoffs or not this year (and I hope and expect the Sox will) right now the games are fun to watch.

Its not so much the losing that is frustrating and hard to back off from, its the way the losing is taking place. I can think of at least a half dozen games off the top of my head that were basically given away. That just flat out leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Its not so much the losing that is frustrating and hard to back off from, its the way the losing is taking place. I can think of at least a half dozen games off the top of my head that were basically given away. That just flat out leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's a process and this team appears to be gelling at the right time.

Even so, I for one am not just happy because they are in the pennant race this year, but because of how all the stuff external to the organization is going and the positive effects that will pay down the road.

pudge
08-03-2009, 06:30 PM
The one thing I'd be careful about here is that the media will dump the Sox in a heartbeat. This isn't the first time we've been on a roll and getting some good press, only to get crapped on later. I'll admit the perfect storm of MB's perfect game, a Sox-fan President, and Peavy coming over is pretty hard to top. But we did win a World Title, and that love didn't last long. We had an amazing "Black Out" win last year too, and since '01 have obtained hot free agents (David Wells, Kenny Lofton, Bartolo Colon, Jermaine Dye, etc.) Yet just a few short months ago, Peavy was avoiding us like the plague, and I listened to national and local shows (I'm not in Chicago) saying Why in the world would anyone want to play for the "second" Chicago team? They aren't that good, Ozzie's a moron, Chicago has terrible weather, the Cubs get all the press, etc., etc., etc.

Honestly, I think being a Sox fan since 1990 has been a blast. The team was one of the winningest in the '90s (I think third behind the Yanks and Braves?). And this decade has been even better - although both decades have had a feeling of underachieving (minus '05 of course).

Here's hoping the next decade tops the last two!

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2009, 07:34 PM
The one thing I'd be careful about here is that the media will dump the Sox in a heartbeat. This isn't the first time we've been on a roll and getting some good press, only to get crapped on later. I'll admit the perfect storm of MB's perfect game, a Sox-fan President, and Peavy coming over is pretty hard to top. But we did win a World Title, and that love didn't last long. We had an amazing "Black Out" win last year too, and since '01 have obtained hot free agents (David Wells, Kenny Lofton, Bartolo Colon, Jermaine Dye, etc.) Yet just a few short months ago, Peavy was avoiding us like the plague, and I listened to national and local shows (I'm not in Chicago) saying Why in the world would anyone want to play for the "second" Chicago team? They aren't that good, Ozzie's a moron, Chicago has terrible weather, the Cubs get all the press, etc., etc., etc.

Honestly, I think being a Sox fan since 1990 has been a blast. The team was one of the winningest in the '90s (I think third behind the Yanks and Braves?). And this decade has been even better - although both decades have had a feeling of underachieving (minus '05 of course).

Here's hoping the next decade tops the last two!

From the devotion to accuracy department: Wells (1/14/2001) and Colon (1/15/2003) were obtained in offseason trades. Also, when he signed with the Sox, Dye was not a "hot" free agent, but rather was seen as a question mark with a history of injuries.

I think the 90s were better than the 80s overall, but both 1983 and 1993 ended in disappointment.

If you include the 2000 season in this decade, then the three playoff appearances (and hopefuly adding one more in 2009) in this decade, plus the 90-win team in 2006, have made it the best decade for the Sox in our lifetimes.

Jim Shorts
08-03-2009, 09:10 PM
From the devotion to accuracy department: Wells (1/14/2001) and Colon (1/15/2003) were obtained in offseason trades. Also, when he signed with the Sox, Dye was not a "hot" free agent, but rather was seen as a question mark with a history of injuries.

I think the 90s were better than the 80s overall, but both 1983 and 1993 ended in disappointment.

If you include the 2000 season in this decade, then the three playoff appearances (and hopefuly adding one more in 2009) in this decade, plus the 90-win team in 2006, have made it the best decade for the Sox in our lifetimes.

I'm 38 and everything that has taken place has already made this the top decade for me, I'm not sure that can be argued....WS being the trump card.

A. Cavatica
08-03-2009, 09:23 PM
The Sox are winners for getting so much attention.

Who are the losers?

Jonathan Sanchez.
Brian Anderson.
J. P. Ricciardi.

Bobby Thigpen
08-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Technically I've only been a Sox "fan" since 90, but have followed them all my life with my dad having been a fan since about 56 (it took a while for the sickness to come to maturity in me apparently). He has told me a lot recently that I have no idea how good it's been since I came on board.

I tell him that 97, 98, 99, and a couple other years were no picnic and he usually responds with "Go through a decade or two of years like that and this seems like heaven".

I can't really argue. The Sox have been pretty competitive all but a handful of years since I officially made them my #1.

soxfanreggie
08-03-2009, 09:29 PM
We have a charismatic rookie who isn't afraid to want to be a leader. He is also producing at the top level.

We just acquired a Cy Young award winning pitcher and have one contending for the award right now with a signature moment of a perfect game.

We get to watch the comeback of a Sox hero from our WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP team.

It's a great season for Sox fans!

captain54
08-03-2009, 11:30 PM
Even so, I for one am not just happy because they are in the pennant race this year, but because of how all the stuff external to the organization is going and the positive effects that will pay down the road.

I know where you're coming from and I applaud your optimism.

I get more excited about a team that plays great defense, has consistent, timely hitting, can frequently come from behind late in a game, has an ironclad bullpen and great starting pitching. That's what makes me want to come out to the ballpark and spend my hard earned money more often.

I can't really say that the external stuff and the effects down the road issue are what's gonna make people really stand up and take notice of the Sox in 09' and beyond.

Let's be honest. We're talking about a club that's hovering around .500 and traditionally those aren't the clubs that normally generate a lot of excitement.

cards press box
08-04-2009, 12:47 AM

I think this is the golden age of Sox baseball and I have been following them since the early '70's. I don't ever recall the Sox having managment (i.e., the ownership, gm, manager, coaches, minor league management and player development) being as much on the same page as they are right now. The Sox are functioning very well, contending and yet quietly reloading on the fly. I am as optimistic about this year and the coming years as I have ever been about the Sox. This is a great time to be a Sox fan.

I'm not sure if I would call it a golden age. We have a pretty good decade going with the WS win and a couple division titles but I still think that the 1951 to 1967 years are still the best, 17 straight winning seasons with 7 of them at 90+ wins and a trip to the series in 59.
I feel that even if we dont win this year that we have a nucleus of a real strong club and should contend for another WS in the next few years.

The '51-'67 run was outstanding and no doubt obscured by the Yankee dominance of that era. However, KW and Ozzie seemed poised to make this current era even more memorable for Sox fans.

It's a process and this team appears to be gelling at the right time.

I could not agree more. Moneyball took some unfair shots at KW and perhaps the most unfair one was to suggest that Billy Beane understand the changing dynamics of baseball more than KW. That's a lot of baloney. KW seems to really understand that a team can take months to develop an identity but still do great things, provided that it comes together at the right time. That's why the Jake Peavy trade has such an upside. If Peavy can lead the Sox to the playoffs in late August/September, then the quartet of Peavy, Mark Buerhle, Gavin Floyd and John Danks could be absolutely potent in the playoffs.

This is going to be a fun pennant race.

hawkjt
08-04-2009, 08:17 AM
All this being said, yes, the big picture looks good, but meanwhile, the Angels are scary (15-2 in last 17,mainly on the road,17-3 since Vlad and Hunter went down)...and this series could alter the short term outlook.
They are the best hitting team in baseball right now..Jose needs to throw strikes..quality strikes...problem with starting to feel too good about a baseball team ...day to day game. Hope we are still this hopeful on Friday.

voodoochile
08-04-2009, 08:57 AM
All this being said, yes, the big picture looks good, but meanwhile, the Angels are scary (15-2 in last 17,mainly on the road,17-3 since Vlad and Hunter went down)...and this series could alter the short term outlook.
They are the best hitting team in baseball right now..Jose needs to throw strikes..quality strikes...problem with starting to feel too good about a baseball team ...day to day game. Hope we are still this hopeful on Friday.

This series is going to rock. Baseball at it's best. Two teams in the playoff hunt in August both playing good ball. What a clash.

Ron Karkovice
08-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Let's hope Good Contreras is out tonight. I just wish I was within an hour radius of Chicago so I could freaking view the game.