PDA

View Full Version : Keep Scotty Pods for next season?

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 12:29 AM
Without a question, this offense goes where Scotty Pods takes it. He is the primary catalyst of our offense. Do you think he should be kept around for next year as our lead-off hitter, or should Kenny exercise other options?

SephClone89
08-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Definitely keep him, but have a concrete Plan B.

Rockabilly
08-03-2009, 12:38 AM
I am hoping we add a LF and CF next season.

move Carlos to right and Dye to DH

Would be great to see Crawford playing LF next year

doublem23
08-03-2009, 12:46 AM
Definitely keep him, but have a concrete Plan B.

I love Scotty Pods, but let's be honest, he'll turn 34 before next season starts and he's one aggravated groin injury away from being completely useless. If the Sox are planning on letting Thome walk, moving JD to more of a DH-type, and shift Carlos over to RF, then Podsednik may have a home in LF but I would certainly hope by now the Sox will be in the market to get a real CF for the first time since 2005... But I'm not holding my breath.

I'm not sure what KW and the Sox are going to do, though... Jordan Danks has slowly cooled since his torrid start in Birmingham and I wouldn't expect to see him contribute up here until 2011 at the earliest and the F/A crop of potential center fielders is very, very thin... Reed Johnson might be the best one out there.

doublem23
08-03-2009, 12:48 AM

The Rays have a $10 million option on Crawford next year, so it's not like he's a FA just yet.

HomeFish
08-03-2009, 12:56 AM
If he continues to hit .300 and steal bases, he will likely seek a hefty multi-year deal, since I think he is here on a one-year minor league contract. So he will probably be out of our price range. If not, he will certainly want more money than it would be reasonable to give him given his history.

Konerko05
08-03-2009, 01:06 AM
If he continues to hit .300 and steal bases, he will likely seek a hefty multi-year deal, since I think he is here on a one-year minor league contract. So he will probably be out of our price range. If not, he will certainly want more money than it would be reasonable to give him given his history.

I highly doubt any team will give Podsednik a hefty multi-year deal. I'm sure the Sox would be able to sign him to a one year deal if they desire.

asindc
08-03-2009, 08:18 AM
I don't think Pods will get more than a 2-yr. offer from anyone, considering his injury history. I also think he would be willing to give the Sox a small discount because he seems to genuinely appreciate the second chance. He realizes that the next contract he signs will probably be his last, but he also likes playing here. I think if the organization wants him back, he will be back. To answer the question, yes, I think the Sox should do it.

ode to veeck
08-03-2009, 08:43 AM
Hell yes, he's playing more loose than ever before and he's only 34, but seriously, with a bona fide leadoff, the Sox are a totally different club

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 10:01 AM
I voted yes.

I can see them keeping Kotsay too as the guy who spells the OF and DH roles in a rotation. He's not really the ideal DH, but if he continues to hit line drives and deep shots, something will eventually fall for him.

At that point the Sox could put all their money from Thome into salary increases, extensions and a 5th starter/bullpen and be ready to go.

I'd like to have a big lefty bat who is more of a guarantee than Kotsay, but I wouldn't mind sitting pat with the offense for the most part.

DirtySox
08-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Yep. Nothing more then a year though. Jordan Danks needs more time and to strikeout much less. Jared Mitchell also needs alot more time. Let's see where we are at the end of next offseason. Hopefully we can fill the position internally by then.

LoveYourSuit
08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Chone Figgins.

Domeshot17
08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
my prediction is 1 year at 2.5 mil with a 1 year 3 mil option with a 400k buyout.

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Yep. Nothing more then a year though. Jordan Danks needs more time and to strikeout much less. Jared Mitchell also needs alot more time. Let's see where we are at the end of next offseason. Hopefully we can fill the position internally by then.

2 year deal option for 3, solid but unspectacular base salary ($3-5M) with bonuses based on PA.

Lip Man 1
08-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I think there should be a 3rd choice...keep him as the 4th outfielder.

The odds of him playing like this again are long. He'd be a great guy off the bench because of his speed and by playing him less you can help keep him healthy.

This means the Sox would still need a center fielder or (and) a lead off man.

Chone Figgins can fill both of those roles.

Lip

russ99
08-03-2009, 10:50 AM

The odds of him playing like this again are long. He'd be a great guy off the bench because of his speed and by playing him less you can help keep him healthy.

Lip

Totally with you. That would be my preferred course of action.

Figgins gets injured more often than most players, so Scott would be a great fill-in and also get playing time in CF when the 2B/3B need a break, since Figgins also plays those positions.

hawkjt
08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
2 year deal option for 3, solid but unspectacular base salary ($3-5M) with bonuses based on PA.

I agree with this. I honestly think Pods has figured out the mental aspect of the game, and also the key to staying healthy...a relaxed,healthy Pods would be a good guy to have the next couple of years...he has really learned his craft later in his career and with the kind of techology and training they utilize these days...playing well to age 34-35 is no shock.

Noneck
08-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Assuming Thome is gone next year, Dye is signed and the Sox can get Figgins. I would like to keep Pod as the 4th Of and DH him. I like a DH with some versatility. The only caveat in this is left handed power.

getonbckthr
08-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Rumor is Tampa will be looking to move Crawford due to his salary increase and the fact they will be down money going into next season. Ideally I would love to see us trade for Crawford (CF), sign Derosa (LF) and sign Figgins (2B). Realistically thats probably not possible.

Sargeant79
08-03-2009, 11:40 AM

Lip

I actually like this plan pretty well. How is Figgins' defense in CF?

I wouldn't even be opposed to keeping him as the starter (on no more than a one year deal), but only if they have a 4th outfielder as a Plan B who would be good enough to start on something like half the teams in baseball. What I don't want is a situation where Pods gets injured or goes back to being bad, and we wind up with 150 games of Dewayne Wise or someone like him.

Rockabilly
08-03-2009, 11:41 AM
The Rays have a $10 million option on Crawford next year, so it's not like he's a FA just yet.

The Rays might be trading Crawford this off season

Redus Redux
08-03-2009, 11:51 AM

Pods as DH. Get a real CF.

Discuss.

Redus Redux
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
i only say this b/c the FA market for leadoff CFs is mediocre. And our CF prospects are likely a year away, which is probably what Pods has left.

If the experiment fails you always can get a DH guy off the scrap heap midseason. Or in one's wildest dreams, Cube Tank would be ready

WhiteSox1989
08-03-2009, 11:53 AM
It'll be hard to say good bye to Scotty and his hotness again, but if Kenny can upgrade, I'd be all for it.

Rohan
08-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Dream on.

russ99
08-03-2009, 12:12 PM

Pods as DH. Get a real CF.

Discuss.

That could be really interesting, but we'd need a much better bat in CF to replace Thome. Maybe Rios or Wells?

soxfanreggie
08-03-2009, 12:21 PM
It depends on what it costs to keep him. I think I'd be happy with a 2 year, $6 million deal for him. I don't want to give him any more years than that, but I'd be willing to laden the deal to reach $5 or $6 million each year with heavy incentives, where the $4-4.5 million range is reachable based on games played/ABs and the $4.5-6 million range is for an All-Star type season.

We could add a 3rd year club option with a cheap buyout ($400-500k) if we have to do something else as an incentive. However, we need to set aside some $$$ to get an insurance policy on board in case something happens to him like an injury or poor performance.

I do think a 2-year contract provides us a stop-gap to wait for our prospects to become ready. If they are ready after one year, it isn't like we brought in a high-priced FA that we have to compete with. I think he'd be willing to sign here with a contender for less than say he could get with a 2 year, $7 or 8 million contract from a Pittsburgh, KC, Cleveland, or Cincinnatti.

Redus Redux
08-03-2009, 12:55 PM
If I can get Thome and Pods back on one year deals, for $8M combined, I'm happy. I think it'd be 5 and 3M respectively.

I think with his declining avg and DH-ness, Thome wont get a lot of offers to leverage against us. But out of respect we'd give him no lower than 5M.

Totally ok with doing this mainly because i think this year's FA crop is 1) not that good 2) not coming here.

Metalthrasher442
08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
I would definitely keep him, but I don't think he should start in center field. Dye looks like he can have another strong year next year and I'm sure Quentin will stay in left field. Pods would be a great fourth outfielder. I just don't know where we can find a solid everyday centerfielder.

slavko
08-03-2009, 01:53 PM
I would definitely keep him, but I don't think he should start in center field. Dye looks like he can have another strong year next year and I'm sure Quentin will stay in left field. Pods would be a great fourth outfielder. I just don't know where we can find a solid everyday centerfielder.

He's not a CF. He's not a 4th OF because he can't defend unless you have a 5th OF who can. The best place to hide him is LF or DH. The trouble is that he's such a good leadoff man and we haven't seen many of those around here.

gobears1987
08-03-2009, 01:59 PM
I say keep him as an option if Jordan Danks isn't ready yet.

chisoxfanatic
08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
If I can get Thome and Pods back on one year deals, for $8M combined, I'm happy. I think it'd be 5 and 3M respectively.

I think with his declining avg and DH-ness, Thome wont get a lot of offers to leverage against us. But out of respect we'd give him no lower than 5M.

Totally ok with doing this mainly because i think this year's FA crop is 1) not that good 2) not coming here.
As long as Pods is our starting CF, I would have no problems with any of this! Thome is not showing big signs of declining, so he still could be very useful here. I think Konerko and Dye can take another year at 1b and RF respectively.

bigdommer
08-03-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't think Pods will get more than a 2-yr. offer from anyone, considering his injury history. I also think he would be willing to give the Sox a small discount because he seems to genuinely appreciate the second chance. He realizes that the next contract he signs will probably be his last, but he also likes playing here. I think if the organization wants him back, he will be back. To answer the question, yes, I think the Sox should do it.

While I agree with you in principle, I do not believe there is a such thing as a "hometown discount," except if you sign him to an extension during the season. If Pods is a FA, it comes down to the size and length of the deal.

I love Pods and I think the Sox should try to keep him, but there is always a GM in the MLB who thinks he's one player away and will offer Pods 3 years and $10MM.

gobears1987
08-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I love Pods and I think the Sox should try to keep him, but there is always a GM in the MLB who thinks he's one player away and will offer Pods 3 years and $10MM.
Jim Hendry?:redneck

whitesoxfan
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
Keep him as insurance. Worse comes to worse, he'd be a good 4th OF for us.

WhiteSox5187
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I like the idea of him being a 4th OFer, he has certainly earned a new contract with us but I think it is foolish to assume that he can continue to put up numbers like this.

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-03-2009, 05:37 PM
I'd say keep him, but don't expect him to perform like he has this year. Have a backup plan.

JB98
08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I'd say keep him, but don't expect him to perform like he has this year. Have a backup plan.

Agreed. Pods is swinging the bat better than he has in his entire career this year. Just not realistic to think he'll duplicate this performance next season.

That said, I'm sure he'll still be capable of helping the Sox in some capacity next year. Give him a one-year deal for 2010, provided he finishes this season healthy.

Red Barchetta
08-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I think the job is Pods until he loses it. However, we all know his history and (in)ability to stay healthy. When he is healthy, he is on top of his game and a great ignitor for our offense. CF is not his natural position, however depending on what we do with Thome and Dye after this season, will determine if we move Pods back to LF and Quentin to RF. What's scary is that both Pods and TCQ have a history of freak injuries.

Tragg
08-03-2009, 06:30 PM
An upgrade would be nice - his obp is great for a leadoff hitter, but we really need some defensive improvement in multiple positions.

JB98
08-03-2009, 06:36 PM
An upgrade would be nice - his obp is great for a leadoff hitter, but we really need some defensive improvement in multiple positions.

I think they can afford to hide him in LF, but then what do you do with Quentin for next year? Move him to RF? DH?

It's hard for me to say what they should do with Pods without knowing their plans for Dye, Thome and Quentin.

Tragg
08-03-2009, 07:07 PM
I think they can afford to hide him in LF, but then what do you do with Quentin for next year? Move him to RF? DH?

It's hard for me to say what they should do with Pods without knowing their plans for Dye, Thome and Quentin.

I like Pods, but if his obp isn't .350+, he's a liability. He's playing smart, getting infield hits, being aware of 3B cheating in on him and slapping it by, and taking his walks....if he's on the mark with that next year, great....but if he isn't, it's like having jerry owens out there.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2009, 07:11 PM

How about:

sign Figgins to play CF and lead off

put Pods in LF to hit second or ninth (depends on Getz)

move Quentin to RF

sign Adam Dunn to DH and hit cleanup

let both Thome and Dye go

Then the lineup is: Figgins, Pods/Getz, Beckham, Dunn, TCQ, Paulie, AJ, Alexei, Getz/Pods

whitesoxfan
08-03-2009, 07:13 PM
How about:

sign Figgins to play CF and lead off

put Pods in LF to hit second or ninth (depends on Getz)

move Quentin to RF

sign Adam Dunn to DH and hit cleanup

let both Thome and Dye go

Then the lineup is: Figgins, Pods/Getz, Beckham, Dunn, TCQ, Paulie, AJ, Alexei, Getz/Pods

I don't think Dunn's a FA after this year.

Keep Dye to DH next year. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

thomas35forever
08-03-2009, 07:16 PM
He's solved our lead-off man problem for the time being. Unless we land Chone Figgins, we gotta stay with him.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2009, 07:17 PM
I don't think Dunn's a FA after this year.

Keep Dye to DH next year. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I like Dye, and he may be a better hitter than Thome is. But if you keep Dye at DH and dump Thome, the lineup has no legitimate LH power threat. AJ really isn't a power guy.

whitesoxfan
08-03-2009, 07:20 PM
I like Dye, and he may be a better hitter than Thome is. But if you keep Dye at DH and dump Thome, the lineup has no legitimate LH power threat. AJ really isn't a power guy.

While true, Dye's much more of a health upgrade than Thome is. Plus he has the obvious ability of being able to spell Quentin or whoever would be the RF in right when need be.

They both will be productive next year, but I think Dye has quite a few years left of productive hitting. Thome, on the other hand, really isn't a sure thing after next year.

Rockabilly
08-03-2009, 07:21 PM
I would like to see the Sox pick up Crawford, Figgins, Byrd, R Soriano and Sheets..

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2009, 07:42 PM
I would like to see the Sox pick up Crawford, Figgins, Byrd, R Soriano and Sheets..

I would love to land Crawford. Since the Rays hold an option for 2010, the Sox would have to trade for Crawford. Either that, or wait until after 2011. But I think Figgins is a good pickup for 2010, and target Crawford and a left-handed power-hitting 1B for 2011. (Adam Dunn's contract expires after the 2010 season)

Then your 2011 lineup is:
Figgins, Crawford, Beckham, Dunn, TCQ DH, AJ, Alexei, Getz 2B, Danks RF

Rockabilly
08-03-2009, 07:58 PM
my team for next year would look like this

1 Figgins LF
2 Crawford CF
3 Beckham 3B
4 Quentin RF
5 Konerko 1B
6 Dye DH
7 AJ C
8 Ramirez SS
9 Scutaro 2B

Bench: Byrd OF, Danks OF, Getz Utily, Flowers C

Rotation
Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Sheets

Bullpen: Grabow LR, Soriano RR, Hudson RR, Thornton LR, Pena RR, Linebrink RR Jenks Closer

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 08:00 PM
my team for next year would look like this

1 Figgins LF
2 Crawford CF
3 Beckham 3B
4 Quentin RF
5 Konerko 1B
6 Dye DH
7 AJ C
8 Ramirez SS
9 Scutaro 2B

Bench: Byrd OF, Danks OF, Getz Utily, Flowers C

Rotation
Buehrle, Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Sheets

Bullpen: Grabow LR, Soriano RR, Hudson RR, Thornton LR, Pena RR, Linebrink RR Jenks Closer

Planning on doubling the payroll are you?

Rockabilly
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Planning on doubling the payroll are you?

With Thome,Pods,Castro,Contreras,DJ and Dotel money coming off the books and being used for Crawford, Figgins and Scutaro.

Sheets and Grabow shouldn't cost that much.

So most of the money would be going to Soriano

I would try to re-sign Dye for about 6M instead of 11

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2009, 08:14 PM

Isn't it prohibited for a player to re-sign with the same team more less than 80% of his previous year's salary? Put another way, I don't think a player can re-sign with a team and take more than a 20% pay cut.

Rockabilly
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Isn't it prohibited for a player to re-sign with the same team more less than 80% of his previous year's salary? Put another way, I don't think a player can re-sign with a team and take more than a 20% pay cut.

if that's the case I would let Dye go, than sign a cheaper player to be the DH

Boondock Saint
08-03-2009, 08:21 PM
With Thome,Pods,Castro,Contreras,DJ and Dotel money coming off the books and being used for Crawford, Figgins and Scutaro.

http://www.coolrom.com/screenshots/snes/Pipe%20Dream.gif

Sheets likely will cost that much, and JD isn't going to just take a 50% pay cut because he got a year older. Also, as was said earlier, Crawford isn't going to be a free agent.

I think that if the Sox can bring in Figgins, a better bench bat and a bullpen arm, that'd be a pretty fantastic offseason for us.

Rockabilly
08-03-2009, 08:23 PM
http://www.coolrom.com/screenshots/snes/Pipe%20Dream.gif

Sheets likely will cost that much, and JD isn't going to just take a 50% pay cut because he got a year older. Also, as was said earlier, Crawford isn't going to be a free agent.

I think that if the Sox can bring in Figgins, a better bench bat and a bullpen arm, that'd be a pretty fantastic offseason for us.

It has been said that the Rays will be trading Crawford this off season.

Boondock Saint
08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
It has been said that the Rays will be trading Crawford this off season.

By whom? It sounds like the dumbest possible thing they could do. Also, if they actually do try and deal him, the Rays are going to try and get a massive haul for him. I doubt the Sox are going to be the team to sell the farm for him.

Rockabilly
08-03-2009, 08:32 PM
By whom? It sounds like the dumbest possible thing they could do. Also, if they actually do try and deal him, the Rays are going to try and get a massive haul for him. I doubt the Sox are going to be the team to sell the farm for him.

I believe it was Jon Heyman and Buster Olney said that the Rays are looking to trade Crawford so that they can save money.

Boondock Saint
08-03-2009, 08:41 PM
I believe it was Jon Heyman and Buster Olney said that the Rays are looking to trade Crawford so that they can save money.

Crawford is only making 10m next season. They can try to trade Burrell, Pena or Kazmir if they want to save money without losing their best player.

Jim Shorts
08-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Wow. Evidently, the Peavy pickup was really misleading as to the economy and budget and the reality of this organization.

Why don't we go after Pujols too since the books are open? {endTeal}

Isn't some of next year's money dedicated already to TCQ and Danks? When are they due? Sure there's numbers coming from the books, but the reality is now it's not as much as perceived (TCQ, JD, Peavy, either Dye or Thome and a possible extension for Mark) and now you have to pick up some folks in the off season. Note, I did not even mention the bullpen

voodoochile
08-03-2009, 10:14 PM

Contreras and Dotel's money is already spent on Peavy all by himself.

soxfanreggie
08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
No sense in them getting rid of Kazmir because he's locked up through 2012 if they want him. He's having a rough year this year, but he's been pitching a little better lately. If they get rid of him, they're going to have to spend a lot to replace him.

Burrell or Pena would be the option to go. I'd go with the one I had the best propsect at the position the guy plays.

That being said, Crawford is going to bring them the highest bounty. He will probably command a $13+ million a year contract and could get 6 or 7 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 7 year, $100 million deal for him. The Rays got him locked up under a great deal. A lot of the money he has earned from '06 on has been deferred.

TomBradley72
08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't mind Pods as a 4th or 5th OF...but I'm 100% against him being our starting LF or CF in 2010. Age, below mediocre defense...it's been great too see him deliver this year...but I think we've caught lightening in a bottle. I'm not sold yet on TCQ as a RF....so I don't see a starting slot for Pods in the OF.

jabrch
08-04-2009, 07:28 AM
In my opinion, it depends on what the options are. If it is someone inside the organization, then I'd rather it be Pods. If there is an opportunity to bring in Rick Ankiel, I'd be cool with that. There are no other FA CFs I'd want. So the only other option is a trade - not sure who is going to be available and at what price.

GlassSox
08-04-2009, 10:08 PM
Pods walkoff, what do we say?