PDA

View Full Version : "THE CATCH" on the outfield wall....

esbrechtel
08-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Did anyone notice this on the outfield wall during the game today? Just about where Dewayne made his history making catch....I thought that was a very cool way to commemorate the moment.

whitesoxfan
08-02-2009, 07:12 PM
They showed it a few times after he had his walkoff hit on Thursday night.

Pretty cool.

thomas35forever
08-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Did anyone notice this on the outfield wall during the game today? Just about where Dewayne made his history making catch....I thought that was a very cool way to commemorate the moment.
I noticed it after the game Thursday. I agree that it's nice place commemorate White Sox history.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Yea, I saw it while at Friday night's game and thought it was a great idea. I hope they leave it up there forever.

OldRomanPizza
08-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I like the reference but I wish they could have come up with something other than "THE CATCH". I mean, there are a million of "THE CATCH" just like there are a million of "THE PASS" and a million of "THE SHOT".

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
So Mark gets a perfect game and they put "The Catch" on the wall. :scratch:

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 07:34 PM
That catch was sick. I don't see anything wrong with putting that up there.

GoGoCrede
08-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I like the reference but I wish they could have come up with something other than "THE CATCH". I mean, there are a million of "THE CATCH" just like there are a million of "THE PASS" and a million of "THE SHOT".

I like it because it's so iconic that people just know. Like if someone says "The Buehrle Game," you know what they mean without a doubt. Makes it cooler that there is no explanation.

Daver
08-02-2009, 07:40 PM

How many of them happened to insure a perfect game?

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
What should they have done, put a statue on pitcher's mound?!?! :scratch:

hi im skot
08-02-2009, 07:42 PM
They gave Buehrle his own goddamn series.

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 07:44 PM
They gave Buehrle his own goddamn series.
:thumbsup:

GoGoCrede
08-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Pfft, whatever. If I were him I'd demand that the team change their name to the Mark Buehrles.

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2009, 07:47 PM

Way over blown! MB pitched the PG.

08-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Without "The Catch" there is no perfect game. :rolleyes:

TDog
08-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Maybe they should erect a stone monument in front of the pitching rubber.

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Without "The Catch" there is no perfect game. :rolleyes:

Without the other 26 outs there wouldn't be a perfect game either! :o:

GoGoCrede
08-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Maybe they should erect a stone monument in front of the pitching rubber.

Maybe that would help Linebrink find the strike zone. :redneck Kidding, kidding.

hi im skot
08-02-2009, 07:54 PM

The Josh Fields Memorial Drinking Fountain will be installed at first base after this homestand. They're preparing some pretty epic **** for Castro behind the plate, too.

esbrechtel
08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
It should say "The Perfect Catch" I think that would be kinda cool....

GoGoCrede
The Josh Fields Memorial Drinking Fountain will be installed at first base after this homestand. They're preparing some pretty epic **** for Castro behind the plate, too.

Ooh, ooh! A Castro Memorial Bench.

:rolling: Well done, sir.

WhiteSox1989
I'd like a Ramon Castro replica no hitter trophy, please. Handed out at every game.

SoxGirl4Life
08-02-2009, 07:57 PM
You guys crack me up

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Has MB ever even had a bobblehead day?

Cuck the Fubs
08-02-2009, 08:02 PM
What came first...the chicken or the egg?!?!?

I like " The Catch "

08-02-2009, 08:04 PM

And which of those outs was has been renowned as the greatest play in no-hitter/ perfect game history?

GoGoCrede
08-02-2009, 08:11 PM
I'd like a Ramon Castro replica no hitter trophy, please. Handed out at every game.

Screw that. I want a silk-screened shirt of the painting that Buehrle's commissioning for Wise. I'd wear it to bed every night. Or maybe a comforter or throw pillow. Get on it, Brooks!

parlaycard
08-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Has MB ever even had a bobblehead day?

Nope maybe next year.

The Birmingham Barons had one for him, but not the Sox.

Nick Swisher has his own bobblehead, but i guess he was more worthy than Buehrle.

I thought the Sox would have a bobblehead day for him in this upcoming series vs the Angels, but i'm sure they didnt have enough time to have them made up.

Maybe next season, if some sponsor ponies up the cash. Amazing to me the Sox have had one bobblehead giveaway day (albeit one that no one really wants) in the past 2 seasons.

And the Brewers have about 12 every season. I dont get it, fans pack the park on those days, which is why the Brewers have so many of them. I cant believe getting sponsors to pay for them is easier in Milwaukee than in Chicago.

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Nope maybe next year.

The Birmingham Barons had one for him, but not the Sox.

Nick Swisher has his own bobblehead, but i guess he was more worthy than Buehrle.

I thought the Sox would have a bobblehead day for him in this upcoming series vs the Angels, but i'm sure they didnt have enough time to have them made up.

Maybe next season, if some sponsor ponies up the cash. Amazing to me the Sox have had one bobblehead giveaway day (albeit one that no one really wants) in the past 2 seasons.

And the Brewers have about 12 every season. I dont get it, fans pack the park on those days, which is why the Brewers have so many of them. I cant believe getting sponsors to pay for them is easier in Milwaukee than in Chicago.

Pretty sad huh?

A. Cavatica
08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I don't get it. It was a good catch -- considering the stakes.

I liked Uribe's catch in the WS better -- considering the stakes.

Ron Karkovice
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
There would have never been a perfect game if Buehrle's mom didn't give birth to him!!!

Think about that...

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2009, 08:53 PM
There would have never been a perfect game if Buehrle's mom didn't give birth to him!!!

Think about that...

That would mean that BA couldn't snag that!

Ron Karkovice
08-02-2009, 08:57 PM
That would mean that BA couldn't snag that!

My heads going to explode with all of this twilight zone stuff!

ode to veeck
08-02-2009, 08:58 PM

The WS win is certainly bigger than Burly Mon's perfect game, but the Sox woulda won the WS whether Uribe made those last two plays or not. There is no perfect game, no bones about it, without the play of Dewayne's career to make the catch.

Brian26
08-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Like if someone says "The Buehrle Game," you know what they mean without a doubt.

Well, there's the one hour, 39 minute game. The 2007 no-hitter. The 2009 perfect game. The World Series save..... He's had a number of nice games. :smile:

TomBradley72
08-02-2009, 09:13 PM
I like it. I'd add "#31" to it..."The Catch-#31"

Brian26
08-02-2009, 09:15 PM

I think the Brewers give away the cheaper bobbleheads, not the Alexander Global Productions versions. The Sox always give away the AGPs, which probably cost more to produce and sponsor.

The bobblehead craze in general is winding down though.

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I think the Brewers give away the cheaper bobbleheads, not the Alexander Global Productions versions. The Sox always give away the AGPs, which probably cost more to produce and sponsor.

The bobblehead craze in general is winding down though.

But Swisher had one last year and MB has never had one. :scratch:

tacosalbarojas
08-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Well, there's the one hour, 39 minute game. The 2007 no-hitter. The 2009 perfect game. The World Series save..... He's had a number of nice games. :smile:Or that AA all-star game in 2000 where he picked off the first two runners that reached. First time I saw him live and knew we had something special.

thomas35forever
08-02-2009, 09:41 PM
What's with all the memorials? Is someone planning to kill Fields and Castro?

SoxGirl4Life
08-02-2009, 09:46 PM
What's with all the memorials? Is someone planning to kill Fields and Castro?

lmao. I think this is spillover to the Wise/BA. thing. Why does Wise's contribution get a permanent marker and there's nothing on the wall for number 56.

I could be wrong though. I think "The Catch" is pretty cool. And I'm pretty sure Mark is fine with everything the Sox have done for him. He doesn't impress me as someone who pines over a bobblehead day.

34rancher
08-02-2009, 09:52 PM

I completely agree. Let's make Houston put a memorial there on the 3rd base side. :cool:
I love the Cell character stuff. Blue seats where the two home runs in Game 2 of the WS, the plaque for Thome on the CF concourse for the home run in game 163, and now "the catch". I love it. Hopefully, there is a lot more memories captured in the stadium soon!!!

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Screw that. I want a silk-screened shirt of the painting that Buehrle's commissioning for Wise. I'd wear it to bed every night. Or maybe a comforter or throw pillow. Get on it, Brooks!
I'm digging this idea. Castro's face is what I want to see every night before I go to bed and every morning after I wake up.

Dibbs
08-02-2009, 09:58 PM
It should say "The Perfect Catch" I think that would be kinda cool....

I love it. Email that to Brooks so they can change it asap. Way better than "the catch"

Eddo144
08-02-2009, 10:02 PM
lmao. I think this is spillover to the Wise/BA. thing. Why does Wise's contribution get a permanent marker and there's nothing on the wall for number 56.

I could be wrong though. I think "The Catch" is pretty cool. And I'm pretty sure Mark is fine with everything the Sox have done for him. He doesn't impress me as someone who pines over a bobblehead day.
I'm pretty confident an actual number 56 will be put on that wall some day.

Chicken Dinner
08-02-2009, 10:05 PM

And that itself should be put somewhere before "The Catch"

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
**** it! If Wise can get something for all to remember his catch, then they SHOULD do something for BA's game-ending catch in Game 163 as well. That catch had huge significance as well!

Oh, Sodfather...If you are reading this, I want you to permanently burn an outline of Brian Anderson stretching out to make that catch on the field!

Red Barchetta
08-02-2009, 10:21 PM
They should paint the section blue to match the WS HR seats by Konerko and Pods! :D:

08-02-2009, 10:26 PM

Why the **** do you care so much? "The Catch" symbolizes Wise's unreal catch and the perfect game that it saved.

esbrechtel
08-02-2009, 10:40 PM
I love it. Email that to Brooks so they can change it asap. Way better than "the catch"
do you have his email?

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Why the **** do you care so much? "The Catch" symbolizes Wise's unreal catch and the perfect game that it saved.
:thumbsup:

:burly

Bobby Thigpen
08-02-2009, 10:46 PM
Colon will be back sometime soon. That's close to a statue.

HomeFish
08-02-2009, 11:06 PM

Buehrle will be on the wall eventually, don't worry.

TheCommander
08-02-2009, 11:15 PM
**** it! If Wise can get something for all to remember his catch, then they SHOULD do something for BA's game-ending catch in Game 163 as well. That catch had huge significance as well!

Oh, Sodfather...If you are reading this, I want you to permanently burn an outline of Brian Anderson stretching out to make that catch on the field!

Normally I would look at a post like this and assume it was "teal without using teal," but after reading your previous BA-loving posts, I get the feeling you are for real. :redneck

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 11:28 PM

Mark's picture will be up there some day I doubt it's a huge issue to him. It's similar to the HR seat plaques they put up after the 2005 Playoff run.

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 11:30 PM

This smacks of more of the same old same old hating on Wise you've been doing for months. It's a nice gesture to commemorate a great play in a great game.

Why you got to be a hater?

Hitmen77
08-02-2009, 11:42 PM

Leave it to some White Sox fans to complain about the team putting "The Catch" on the wall to commemorate a play that saved a perfect freaking game.

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Leave it to some White Sox fans to complain about the team putting "The Catch" on the wall to commemorate a play that saved a perfect freaking game.

If BA had made that play there'd be an ongoing 1500 post thread talking about how great he was...

rookie
08-03-2009, 12:19 AM
I love it! Even the Fox announcers on Saturday were raving about the Sox PR department. You have to admit they are pretty quick with these kind of things. When the Sox had players for the final vote for ASG they put stuff up in the park real quick.

If every visiting team's announcers make mention of it during their broadcast, and more fans hear about how amazing the Sox are, then so be it. New York and then the LA, you can't plan that better. Strike while the iron is hot! Plus it's a cool way to commerate it.

whitesoxfan
08-03-2009, 12:30 AM

So you want them to retire his number right now and have another Harold Baines situation on our hands. Right..

Face it, that moment made D-Wise and that moment forever etched his name into White Sox history. I think it's pretty awesome to see someone of his stature be recognized with a short and simple message such as, "The Catch" on the outfield wall. Whether you like it or not, that play will always and forever be one of the best and most recognizable in White Sox history.

I love Buehrle as much as anyone else and he'll for sure get his own mural on the wall when it's all said and done. I'm sure he's proud of Wise and likes the honor as well. Like others have said, I do hope that's a permanent mark on the wall in leftcenter field.

soxfanreggie
08-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Does anyone have a picture of the wall with the new art on it?

GoGoCrede
08-03-2009, 01:20 AM

If you go to gettyimages.com and type in White Sox, it's the fourth photo or so.

southside rocks
08-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Very cool! It's like Scotty Pods's blue seat -- a forever reminder of a super-thrilling moment. I love it!

hawkjt
08-03-2009, 08:27 AM
I approve. I would almost say it captures a great moment in Sox history
''perfectly''.

g0g0
08-03-2009, 09:53 AM
This is great! Not too large and it adds some more history to the ballpark. Now I don't think they should mark every great play, but a perfect game doesn't come around too often so this is appropriate. Who knows, maybe Buerhle will be on the wall some day too?

gaelhound
08-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Every game thats funny!:D:

RadioheadRocks
08-04-2009, 01:41 AM
I like it!

hawkjt
08-04-2009, 09:09 AM
I heard Boyer on the Score this morning say that tonite they will officially unveil ''The Catch'' spot in the outfield, honor both MB and DWise(gifts from kenny and jerry), with a little ceremony before the game.

Brooks was having some fun with the ribbing from Hanley about the Sox prolonged celebration of the perfect game...Boyer is such a breath of fresh air after Gallas...another positive in the organization the last few years. To his credit,Hanley was the one who suggested Brooks look out for the ''Milton Bradley commemorative 3 for 4 statues''....:D:

35th&Shields
08-04-2009, 09:38 AM

As well as a statue in the center field concourse.

As for Uribe's catch, isn't it a part of the WS statue in front of USCF or am I mistaken?

35th&Shields
08-04-2009, 09:40 AM

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?src=quick&contractUrl=2&assetType=image&family=editorial&phrase=White%20Sox

kufram
08-04-2009, 10:23 AM

I've no problem with BA or DW. They are both bench players that don't do enough at the plate but can do a good job in the outfield. The BA catch in Game 163 was major league routine which he made an unnecessary dive for. It always struck me that BA wasn't trying very hard. If he actually gets that his effort level has to improve he will be a better ballplayer.

Dewayne Wise made a catch that made instant history and took a perfect effort to even get a glove to. Wise tries harder in my opinion.

Anyone who can't appreciate the difference between those two plays is using some criteria other than baseball outfield execution to judge with.

soxfanreggie
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I thought it was actually a picture of the catch, not the words "The Catch". My bad.

Ranger
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM

I assume he cares because he just hates DeWayne Wise and it bothers him that Wise is getting some recognition for a brilliant play.

Buehrle may very well be on that wall someday, but they're not going to do it while he's still active. They usually wait to retire numbers until the player himself retires.

hawkjt
08-04-2009, 01:53 PM
I assume he cares because he just hates DeWayne Wise and it bothers him that Wise is getting some recognition for a brilliant play.

Buehrle may very well be on that wall someday, but they're not going to do it while he's still active. They usually wait to retire numbers until the player himself retires.

hey ranger, I heard Boyer on the Score this am, and he said the 7 minute video presentation tonite highlighting the perfect game gave him goose bumps...have you seen it?

I think the Sox have not done a great job at publicizing this weeks program related to MB Appreciation Series...what time do we need to be in our seats to catch the whole program?

WhiteSoxJunkie
08-04-2009, 02:17 PM
I thought Dwight Clark had "The Catch". http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/catch.jpg

gobears1987
08-04-2009, 02:22 PM
As well as a statue in the center field concourse.

As for Uribe's catch, isn't it a part of the WS statue in front of USCF or am I mistaken?
It is there along with Blum's HR, PK's HR, Crede's HR, and El Duque pointing at Johnny Damon when he went around on the 3-2 breaking ball in the dirt. BTW, it took major cajones to throw a breaking ball 3-2 with the bases loaded.

gobears1987
08-04-2009, 02:25 PM

You're right about that one Ranger. The Sox made a mistake in the late 80s when they retired Harold Baines' number after he left for the Rangers. Baines came back not once, but twice after the Sox retired his number. Reinsdorf learned his lesson from that one otherwise Frank would've had his number retired in 2006.

I think Buehrle and PK are the two players on this current team who have guaranteed spots on that wall.

soxfanreggie
08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
I think MB and PK both have good shots at making it there, but it depends on their longevity with the Sox. A Cy Young this year would definitely help MB's cause.

chisoxfanatic
08-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Since "The Catch" was written on the outfield wall for Wise, shouldn't "The Steal" have already been written in paint by 1st base for AJ? :cool:

eriqjaffe
08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I think MB and PK both have good shots at making it there, but it depends on their longevity with the Sox. A Cy Young this year would definitely help MB's cause.Paulie is 2nd all-time with the Sox in home runs and 3rd all-time in RBI. He'll be on the wall.

sox1970
08-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Paulie is 2nd all-time with the Sox in home runs and 3rd all-time in RBI. He'll be on the wall.

...and he gave Reinsdorf the ball.

35th&Shields
08-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Paulie is 2nd all-time with the Sox in home runs and 3rd all-time in RBI. He'll be on the wall.

He may be first by the time he is done. He has been a pro's pro. We've been lucky to be surrounded by such great guys on and off the field like Paulie, Thome, Dye, Buehrle, etc.

Eddo144
08-04-2009, 07:58 PM
I think Buehrle and PK are the two players on this current team who have guaranteed spots on that wall.
Agreed. Also I figure Guillen and Thomas will get their numbers retired at some point (maybe as soon as next year for #35).