PDA

View Full Version : Marlins add to the Billy Goat curse

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 12:47 PM
This is hilarious!!! Scroll down to the 2nd entry in this blog right now called "Billy Goat Moment."

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/

At Friday's game, the Marlins' mascot did this between innings:
http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/billygoat.jpg

thomas35forever
08-02-2009, 02:19 PM
That's pretty funny. Since it was the Marlins, they should've brought out a Bartman impersonator instead.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2009, 05:15 PM
This is hilarious!!! Scroll down to the 2nd entry in this blog right now called "Billy Goat Moment."

http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/

At Friday's game, the Marlins' mascot did this between innings:
http://joefrisaro.mlblogs.com/billygoat.jpg

Oh, the crying about that from Cubbie fans...

BleacherBandit
08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Every NL team should do this when the Cubs roll into their town.

GoGoCrede
08-02-2009, 05:30 PM
The Cub fans in the background make it even funnier.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2009, 06:00 PM
LaRussa was quoted today in a story about how pissed he was about that.

Basically he said it was a stupid idea from somebody in the marketing department, then went on to say most ideas from marketing departments are stupid and can result in somebody getting hurt.

Lip

doublem23
08-02-2009, 06:18 PM

Basically he said it was a stupid idea from somebody in the marketing department, then went on to say most ideas from marketing departments are stupid and can result in somebody getting hurt.

Lip

What does Tony La Russa have to do with this at all?

Someone should inform him that driving drunk is a good way to get someone hurt, too.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 06:20 PM

Someone should inform him that driving drunk is a good way to get someone hurt, too.
He's been around Cardinal fans too much, I'd think, if he's making an issue about it. According to most Cardinals fans, giving anyone a good-natured ribbing is unacceptable behavior.

hi im skot
08-02-2009, 06:46 PM

Doub wins the thread. :clap:

OldRomanPizza
08-02-2009, 08:02 PM
I like the Marlins.

oeo
08-02-2009, 08:06 PM

Lip

Oh look, Tony La Russa is a douche.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Double:

Not saying he has anything to do with it. Just that I saw the story, read it and submitted a synopsis since it was connected with this thread.

OEO:

Tony may be a douche, but he was better than a number of guys the Sox had in the manager's seat since they fired him in June 1986 (Another brilliant move by G.M. Ken "Hawk" Harrelson...")

Lip

34rancher
08-02-2009, 09:01 PM
That's pretty funny. Since it was the Marlins, they should've brought out a Bartman impersonator instead.
At first I thought this was a stupid promotion. But I completely did not think about it being the Marlins and their role in the futility there. Now I think it is slightly funnier. I agree the Bartman thing would have been funnier, just like I think it would be funny if the entire Cardinal team came out in their series with the Cubs in Lou Brock jerseys.

doublem23
08-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Tony may be a douche, but he was better than a number of guys the Sox had in the manager's seat since they fired him in June 1986

Only if you'd prefer the Sox of the late-80's/early-90's to be the ground zero for steroid use in baseball instead of the A's.

:shrug:

Lip Man 1
08-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Double:

I'd much prefer Tony LaRussa regardless of his faults, to the Jim Fregosi, Hawk Harrelson, Gene Lamont, Terry Bevington and Jerry Manuel experiments / disasters.

And according to a full page story by Bob Nightengale in November 1997 in The Sporting News, LaRussa and Reinsdorf had a handshake agreement to return to the Sox as manager. It was to be a multimillion dollar multi year deal. LaRussa was going to bring back Dave Duncan with him as pitching coach.

Ron Schueler torpedoed the deal (which I've never been able to confirm one way or the other by the way) by threatening to resign. According to the terms of the supposed deal, LaRussa was to be given input in the major league roster and Jumbotron Ron felt threatened.

When Ron said, 'me or him', JR apparently backed down on it.

My point is, given that it was published as a feature story by a respected writer, there was probably some truth to it. Taking it a step further since steroid / drug use was well known in baseball by 1997, LaRussa's implications with it in Oakland during the mid to late 80's, apparently didn't concern Sox ownership (or they wouldn't have made the offer in the first place.)

Therefore to me, if it didn't bother JR, it doesn't bother me.

Lip

RadioheadRocks
08-03-2009, 03:40 AM
Oh look, Tony La Russa is a douche.

Tony LaRussa uses hairspray.

WSox597
08-03-2009, 06:57 AM
At first I thought this was a stupid promotion. But I completely did not think about it being the Marlins and their role in the futility there. Now I think it is slightly funnier. I agree the Bartman thing would have been funnier, just like I think it would be funny if the entire Cardinal team came out in their series with the Cubs in Lou Brock jerseys.

That would be hilarious! The fan base would go ballistic, well those that really follow baseball would anyway. :D:

slavko
08-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Tony LaRussa uses hairspray.

Tony has hair almost as good as Vinny Del Negro.

JB98
08-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I don't know how the hell LaRussa got involved in this thread. I know that Piniella called the gag tasteless:

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/2009/08/01/cubs-skipper-lou-piniella-calls-marlins-goat-gag-tasteless/

LaRussa? When did they ask him about this? :scratch:

Lip Man 1
08-03-2009, 06:40 PM
JB:

Saw the story if memory serves at ESPN.com.

Don't know why he was asked about it but he didn't care for it in the least.

Lip

MarySwiss
08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
IMO, Piniella needs to relax. When you are in the other team's house, they get to make fun of you.

Like when Sox fans sing "Na Na Hey Hey" to departing pitchers. Don't like it? Tough!

In Game Six of the 2001 World Series, the D'Backs cued up Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" after the game had ended with a lopsided win. Blasphemy! Joe Torre looked really PO'ed as if somebody had desecrated something sacred, and the NY papers were highly indignant. It was okay for the D'Backs to have to listen to "New York, New York" back in the Bronx for three games straight, though. Interestingly, IIRC, the NY press didn't seem to have a problem with the Yankee fans waving and chanting "Sayonara" to Ichiro.

Which is my point; it's your house. Do what you want, as long as it's not over the top. A Marlin walking a goat? Not even close.

Pear-Zin-Ski
08-04-2009, 08:58 AM
IMO, Piniella needs to relax. When you are in the other team's house, they get to make fun of you.

Like when Sox fans sing "Na Na Hey Hey" to departing pitchers. Don't like it? Tough!

In Game Six of the 2001 World Series, the D'Backs cued up Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" after the game had ended with a lopsided win. Blasphemy! Joe Torre looked really PO'ed as if somebody had desecrated something sacred, and the NY papers were highly indignant. It was okay for the D'Backs to have to listen to "New York, New York" back in the Bronx for three games straight, though. Interestingly, IIRC, the NY press didn't seem to have a problem with the Yankee fans waving and chanting "Sayonara" to Ichiro.

Which is my point; it's your house. Do what you want, as long as it's not over the top. A Marlin walking a goat? Not even close.

A lot funnier than it should be! :tongue:

InKennyWeTrust
08-04-2009, 10:42 AM
That tells me the DBacks weren't good enough to come up with their own winning celebration and had to resort to somewhat mocking the other team. Lame.