PDA

View Full Version : Peavy throws

hawkjt
08-02-2009, 01:12 PM
off the mound today...roughly 50 pitches..no pain anywhere. He indicated that he threw all of his pitches with no discomfort from the ankle or anywhere else. But he did say he has a ways to go,like spring training all over.

Rick Hahn said they are very happy with what they saw,and the original thought that he would be ready by late august seems to be on track.
He indicated 3 more 5th spot starts before Jake will likely be ready..looking at the schedule that would make 5th starters necessary next saturday vs tribe,then against KC on the 18th, then finally the 25th vs Boston.
That would put Jake on schedule to start 8/30 at Yankee stadium...maybe. That would result in 7 total starts for Jake with the last being in Detroit on the last day of the season.Works for me.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 01:15 PM
He indicated 3 more 5th spot starts before Jake will likely be ready..looking at the schedule that would make 5th starters necessary next saturday vs tribe,then against KC on the 18th, then finally the 25th vs Boston. That would put Jake on schedule to start 8/30 at Yankee stadium...maybe. That would result in 7 total starts for Jake with the last being in Detroit on the last day of the season.Works for me.
I would hope it would be the 29th, or hold him off until the 3rd of September. I want him facing the Cubs.

Shoeless_Jim
08-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I think that is the worst case scenario. He could be back for the 24th against the BoSox.

Just think if the White Sox can make the playoffs...Buehrle - Peavy - Danks - Floyd. :wired: I'm pumped.

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 01:21 PM
I would hope it would be the 29th, or hold him off until the 3rd of September. I want him facing the Cubs.

Beating the flubbies isn't nearly as important as beating AL teams this time of year, but he could in theory start both as there are exactly 4 days off between the 29th and 3rd.

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I think that is the worst case scenario. He could be back for the 24th against the BoSox.

Just think if the White Sox can make the playoffs...Buehrle - Peavy - Danks - Floyd. :wired: I'm pumped.

With a healthy peaking TCQ and Beckham to add to the rest of the mix?

:drool:

GoGoCrede
08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I was hoping his first start would be 8/17....no particular reason....:whistle:

cleanwsox
08-02-2009, 01:26 PM

Wouldn't hurt since he's probably our best hitting pitcher. :smile:

Well, besides Hammerin Mark.

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Wouldn't hurt since he's probably our best hitting pitcher. :smile:

Well, besides Hammerin Mark.

His OPS is ~150 points higher than Pujols. That's pretty solid...

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
Beating the flubbies isn't nearly as important as beating AL teams this time of year, but he could in theory start both as there are exactly 4 days off between the 29th and 3rd.
My whole point is that he's the most prepared to face the Cubs since he has a ton of NL experience. We'd have our best lineup possible, and he's got a decent bat for a pitcher.

Harry Potter
08-02-2009, 01:34 PM

I dont, with the risk of him running the bases in an NL park.

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Great point. Given this is how he injured his ankle the first time, it's probably best not to chance it.

Brian26
08-02-2009, 02:00 PM
My whole point is that he's the most prepared to face the Cubs since he has a ton of NL experience.

If you have the choice, it's better to run a pitcher out there against a team that hasn't seen him yet this year.

Red Barchetta
08-02-2009, 03:08 PM

...in Wrigley. I love it! :D:

jabrch
08-02-2009, 03:15 PM
Given how close he is, I'm surprised there wasn't (according to what we know) any more interest in Peavy? From what both KW and Towers say (and we know that neither has a vested interest in telling the truth) there were no other suitors.

Either way - I'm (unsurprisingly) optimistic. But I am going to wait and see before I get too excited.

thomas35forever
08-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Great point. Given this is how he injured his ankle the first time, it's probably best not to chance it.
Every pitcher has a chance to injure themselves on the basepaths, but I see your point.

TDog
08-02-2009, 08:18 PM

The Cubs have more experience in facing Peavy than most American League teams do. Granted, it isn't successful experience.

Shoeless
08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
The Cubs have more experience in facing Peavy than most American League teams do. Granted, it isn't successful experience.

Peavy got hurt running the bases, didn't he? He can pitch in the AL and leave the cubs to one of our other guys, thank you very much.

JB98
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Peavy got hurt running the bases, didn't he? He can pitch in the AL and leave the cubs to one of our other guys, thank you very much.

I agree. Let's throw Danks against the Cubs. He has their number.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2009, 09:13 PM
In a story posted at the Tribune Ozzie was quoted as saying he thinks Peavy will make his first start for the Sox in New York against the Yankees.

Lip

08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
In a story posted at the Tribune Ozzie was quoted as saying he thinks Peavy will make his first start for the Sox in New York against the Yankees.

Lip

It would be HUGE if he was ready for the 1st game of the NYY series allowing him a start against the Twins as well and then Boston at home...

skobabe8
08-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, but why is Peavy #30 and not #44? :scratch:

Red Barchetta
08-03-2009, 10:31 AM
I think he was wearing #30 in the bullpen to not draw attention to his workout.

Vestigio
08-03-2009, 10:55 AM

It would have drawn attention but for a different reason. People would have been asking if Ozzie was crazy to have Kotsay convert to a pitcher. After all, he is hitting like a pitcher.

hi im skot
08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere else, but why is Peavy #30 and not #44? :scratch:

Peavy was in the dugout yesterday during the game wearing #44.

The Dude
08-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Exactly! Who cares about that Cubs game in the grand scheme of things? Chances are that Gregg will blow that game regardless who pitches.

MisterB
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM

Maybe he should have worn a disguise...
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1133/3173636803_45a7d77856.jpg

Foulke You
08-03-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree. Let's throw Danks against the Cubs. He has their number.
Danks has a 0.64 E.R.A. vs the Cubs this year and their hitters are hitting .184 against him. The media probably wants it to be Peavy but Johnny Danks is definitely the logical choice to run out there at Wrigley.

tacosalbarojas
08-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Danks has a 0.64 E.R.A. vs the Cubs this year and their hitters are hitting .184 against him. The media probably wants it to be Peavy but Johnny Danks is definitely the logical choice to run out there at Wrigley.
Anyone but Jesus Pena.

JermaineDye05
08-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I cannot wait for Jake to be ready.

Here's just a preview of the stuff we can expect when he is healthy:

Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4534399) 9 K's vs. the Cubs earlier this year.

Link (http://sandiego.padres.mlb.com/media/player/mp_tpl_3_1.jsp?w=2007/open/tp/archive04/042507_sdnari_peavy_reel_16k_tp_350.wmv&pid=mlb_tp&gid=2007/04/25/sdnmlb-arimlb-1&mid=200704261930993&cid=mlb&fid=mlb_tp400&v=2&id=567995) 16 K's vs. the D-Backs in 2007.

EDIT: Here's another one against the Cubs where he strikes out 10. I think my favorite is his last strike out, to Hill. It's his fastball that he runs back in over the plate on lefties. Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4690015)

VeeckAsInWreck
08-03-2009, 04:39 PM
EDIT: Here's another one against the Cubs where he strikes out 10. I think my favorite is his last strike out, to Hill. It's his fastball that he runs back in over the plate on lefties. Link (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=4690015)

It's funny to hear the announcer use Hawk's "He Gone" call at the :58 mark.

Either way, I saw him pitch at Petco two years ago, and I can't wait to see him pitch at the Cell.

Mohoney
08-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Given how close he is, I'm surprised there wasn't (according to what we know) any more interest in Peavy? From what both KW and Towers say (and we know that neither has a vested interest in telling the truth) there were no other suitors.

Either way - I'm (unsurprisingly) optimistic. But I am going to wait and see before I get too excited.
I can see why everybody else was scared off. This is really a unique situation here because of how awful this division is. Teams in other divisions can't afford to wait a month for the payoff, because they might be dead before Peavy gets back. We don't have to worry about anybody running away from the rest of the division here.

Hitmen77
08-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Black Jack McDowell thinks Peavy won't be back until mid-September:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/black-jack-white-sox/2009/08/will-jake-peavy-be-ready.html

russ99
08-05-2009, 12:37 PM

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/black-jack-white-sox/2009/08/will-jake-peavy-be-ready.html

Wow, I love Black Jack from his days with the Sox and cried when he got traded to the Yankees, but his blatant anti-management stances of late have really cheezed me off.

hi im skot
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Wow, I love Black Jack from his days with the Sox and cried when he got traded to the Yankees, but his blatant anti-management stances of late have really cheezed me off.

He's come off as a real tool, lately.

Rockabilly
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
I love Black Jack as a player and thought he would be a perfect person to replace Hawk in the booth down the road but he has been a real tool of late.

ShoelessJoeS
08-05-2009, 12:42 PM

He's come off as a real tool, lately.I agree on both counts.

Boondock Saint
08-05-2009, 12:43 PM
He's entitled to his opinion, and he backs it up with his experience in the game, so he's not just talking out his ass. The thing is, it's been ten years since he's last pitched, and we all know how quickly sports medicine has been advancing.

I don't doubt the Sox or Peavy when they say Sept. 1 is the target date.

GoGoCrede
I love Black Jack as a player and thought he would be a perfect person to replace Hawk in the booth down the road but he has been a real tool of late.

And didn't Hawk and Stoney say it would be unlikely that he would ever join them in the booth down the line? He really pissed them off.

twsoxfan5

This is not directed at you Hitmen77 but who gives a **** what McDowell thinks? Seriously dude just go play with your garbage band.

LoveYourSuit
08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow, another thread going south here with people bitching about "what he said/she said" about the Sox.

:rolleyes:

ShoelessJoeS
08-05-2009, 12:52 PM
Wow, another thread going south here with people bitching about "what he said/she said" about the Sox.

:rolleyes:Since when is it a crime to have an opinion about someone else's opinion. You do know this is a message board, right?

kittle42
08-05-2009, 12:54 PM

No kidding. Hawk gets ragged on for being a homer, but as soon as anyone says anything that can even be remotely construed as negative about the Sox, here comes the army of Sox fans to complain.

It's tired.

kittle42
08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Since when is it a crime to have an opinion about someone else's opinion. You do know this is a message board, right?

You can always have an opinion about someone else's opinion, and we can complain if we don't like that opinion! :cool:

doublem23
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm guessing a lot of this dislike toward Black Jack must be from other posts earlier, because I really don't see what's wrong with what he posted? The guy was a Major League pitcher, I'm sure he has an idea of what kind of routine Jake might need to go through to get ready again and was just doing some math. BFD.

GoGoCrede
08-05-2009, 12:56 PM
You can always have an opinion about someone else's opinion, and we can complain if we don't like that opinion! :cool:

And we can complain if you complain about our opinions of others' opinions of the Sox! :redneck (Sorry, just had to)

hi im skot
08-05-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm guessing a lot of this dislike toward Black Jack must be from other posts earlier, because I really don't see what's wrong with what he posted? The guy was a Major League pitcher, I'm sure he has an idea of what kind of routine Jake might need to go through to get ready again and was just doing some math. BFD.

Yeah, my comment was based on some of his previous comments, not the Peavy story.

hi im skot
08-05-2009, 01:05 PM

And here comes the fan police.

No kidding. Hawk gets ragged on for being a homer, but as soon as anyone says anything that can even be remotely construed as negative about the Sox, here comes the army of Sox fans to complain.

It's tired.

kittle, you're easily one of my favorite posters, and I agree with what you're saying here. My issue with McDowell's blog is that he often comes off as bitter and constantly negative, whether it's about the Sox or any other topic he chooses to cover. He's kind of like Lip with a Cy Young award.

doublem23
08-05-2009, 01:19 PM
kittle, you're easily one of my favorite posters, and I agree with what you're saying here. My issue with McDowell's blog is that he often comes off as bitter and constantly negative, whether it's about the Sox or any other topic he chooses to cover. He's kind of like Lip with a Cy Young award.

:rolling:

BTW, good job getting your photo up on Deadspin this morning. :thumbsup:

hawkjt
08-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Not sure if Jack has a personal gripe with Sox management or Ozzie or what,really, but yes, he seems to spin negative on the Sox often.
Mocked Kenny's attempt to trade for Peavy in June, saying it was just a show put on for fans benefit and never going to happen, and now is mocking the trade due to the Peavy injury.

Maybe it starts with Reinsdorf and he just considers everyone that works for Jerry to be a lapdog. He talks about wanting to be back in baseball later when his kids get older but he is burning all his bridges back to Chicago, that much is obvious.

I do not mind strong opinions, but they should go both ways,not always one way...ie..Sox management is ignorant.

thedudeabides
08-05-2009, 01:53 PM

That's kind of funny coming from you.

It's good to get BlackJack's insight, but I'm not sure how much time he puts into his blogs. One day he's going off about how prospects are expendable, and then the next saying KW shouldn't have given up all those lefty prospects for Peavy. Not even touching on how the trade helps the team in the future.

It just seems like he's trying to stir the pot a little, without putting much time into it.

jabrch
08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Jack is entitle to an opinion. Same as any of us. And I am entitled to criticize him, same as anyone. And if he had the same information that KW, OG and the staff do, his opinion might be worth a bit more in my eyes.

Unless he has some involvement with the Pads or the Sox in a capacity where he has seen Jake pitch (which to the best of my knowledge is not the case) this is just guesswork by a former MLB pitcher. We can get the same from other analysts - and even from guys who are closer to the scenario and have more info.

I loved Jack as a player. As a blogger, I think of him the same as most bloogers who aren't actually involved with a baseball team. Entertaining - but only that. The value of the information is limited to do the lack of first hand knowledge.

Hitmen77
08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
This is not directed at you Hitmen77 but who gives a **** what McDowell thinks? Seriously dude just go play with your garbage band.

Oh I understand. I just wanted to mention it since it's linked on the Trib's website, so I think a lot of people are going to see it.

LoveYourSuit
08-05-2009, 02:25 PM
And here comes the fan police.

Now that's, some funny **** right there.

POTW?

LoveYourSuit
08-05-2009, 02:28 PM
That's kind of funny coming from you.

It's good to get BlackJack's insight, but I'm not sure how much time he puts into his blogs. One day he's going off about how prospects are expendable, and then the next saying KW shouldn't have given up all those lefty prospects for Peavy. Not even touching on how the trade helps the team in the future.

It just seems like he's trying to stir the pot a little, without putting much time into it.

I see Black Jack as a casual Joe just putting his 2 cents on what he feels that moment about anything involving the Sox. Sort of like any regular poster on this board.

There is no right or wrong.

hi im skot
08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
I see Black Jack as a casual Joe just putting his 2 cents on what he feels that moment about anything involving the Sox. Sort of like any regular poster on this board.

Fair enough. I think we can all agree that we appreciate McDowell's insight, at the very least.

:thumbsup:

hi im skot
08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
:rolling:

BTW, good job getting your photo up on Deadspin this morning. :thumbsup:

Thank you, sir. Soltrain actually noticed it before I did, and took an excellent picture himself. I'm just the one who was geeky enough to send it to Deadspin and Uni Watch. :cool:

GoGoCrede
08-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Thank you, sir. Soltrain actually noticed it before I did, and took an excellent picture himself. I'm just the one who was geeky enough to send it to Deadspin and Uni Watch. :cool:

Your pic cut Patrick Swayze out. :mad: :tongue:

edit - to be clearer, Soltrain's pic showed some guy who's a dead ringer for Swayze. And I'm apparently the only one who thinks it looks like him. :)

gobears1987
08-05-2009, 02:57 PM
I've read through his blog after seeing this thread and I definitely see why posters are resenting what Blackjack is saying. He's talking out of both sides of his mouth to badmouth Sox management at any chance he can get. To call him a windsock on his views is more than fair as he contradicts himself weekly. The latest example being his post about prospects being expendable and then bitching when the Sox trade some for a premier pitcher.

That being said, I still loved Blackjack for what he and his arm did for the Sox.

spawn
08-05-2009, 03:30 PM

I didn't know McDowell was a trainer on the Sox staff. He's definitely too thin to be Herm.

TDog
08-05-2009, 04:31 PM

But he upsets people when he says things they don't want to be true.

I don't recall if it was 2004 or 2005 when he upset a lot of Cubs fans, and a lot of baseball fans worldwide, when he suggested Mark Prior had taken steroids. I was thousands of miles from Chicago and surrounded by Cubs fans when that one came out.

Sometimes he's right and sometimes he's wrong.

Hitmen77
08-05-2009, 05:10 PM

That is part of it. If he's right, that's news we don't want to hear.

But another interesting thing here is that McDowell is suggesting that the Sox are not being completely honest with us (and with themselves?) about when they expect Peavy to return.

asindc
08-05-2009, 05:36 PM

I don't recall if it was 2004 or 2005 when he upset a lot of Cubs fans, and a lot of baseball fans worldwide, when he suggested Mark Prior had taken steroids. I was thousands of miles from Chicago and surrounded by Cubs fans when that one came out.

Sometimes he's right and sometimes he's wrong.

Maybe so, but often times it sounds like he is just winging it, which is what annoys me about it.

Kilroy
08-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I was hoping his first start would be 8/17....no particular reason....:whistle:

8/21 would work for me! Elvis Night, monster tailgate, Peavy's first White Sox start, Sox victory... Sounds like a plan.

soxfanreggie
08-06-2009, 09:49 AM
It's great news that he threw without pain. Hopefully he has a few more productive sessions and is able to make a rehab appearance. Imagine a sell-out crowd for one of our minor league teams with ESPN coverage.

KenBerryGrab
08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
But another interesting thing here is that McDowell is suggesting that the Sox are not being completely honest with us (and with themselves?) about when they expect Peavy to return.

The thing with Jack is he frequently hints at some conspiracy or darker motivation. And he's set the blog up to be contrarian. Which means it's best to read him with the salt shaker nearby.

Gammons Peter
08-06-2009, 10:45 AM
It's great news that he threw without pain. Hopefully he has a few more productive sessions and is able to make a rehab appearance. Imagine a sell-out crowd for one of our minor league teams with ESPN coverage.

Doubt it. Only the Yanks, Red Sox or cubs get that kind of coverage

UofCSoxFan
08-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Doubt it. Only the Yanks, Red Sox or cubs get that kind of coverage

or the Dodgers,when it's a certain ex Red Sox juicer.

hawkjt
08-06-2009, 11:24 AM
This morning on the Score,Coop told Mully that the rough schedule would have Jake possibly making his first rehab start on the 13th..and projected three rehab starts..if all went well that could put him making his first start for the Sox on 8/28 in NY. That would have him making a total of 7 starts thru the end of the season against Yanks,Twins,A's,M's,KC,Det,Det if they stayed on a 5 man rotation thruout Sept. It could easily be tweaked to face the twins a 2nd time instead of KC...hope it plays out this way..get healthy Jake.

Coop also mentioned that he was very happy with the 50 pitch session,indicating that he was impressed with Peavy's stuff even at this point.

SoxFan84
08-10-2009, 03:41 PM
I keep hearing Peavy will be ready within the next 10-14 days. I say if he's ready let him pitch now, as of right now I think we need to get Jose outta our rotation or this 2 team race might turn out to be a 1 team race real quick

Attendance Records
2005(Includes playoffs and World Series) 25-6
2006 13-9
2007 12-14
2008 14-2
2009 9-9 Next Game(s) 8/21 & 22 Vs Baltimore

KenBerryGrab
08-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I keep hearing Peavy will be ready within the next 10-14 days. I say if he's ready let him pitch now, as of right now I think we need to get Jose outta our rotation or this 2 team race might turn out to be a 1 team race real quick

First off, welcome!

:welcome:

Second, he's got to be in some kind of game shape before he goes out under MLB fire. Otherwise, a competitor can really hurt himself.

kittle42
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Second, he's got to be in some kind of game shape before he goes out under MLB fire. Otherwise, a competitor can really hurt himself.

Third, they would most likely replace Torres, not Contreras.

SoxGirl4Life
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
He hasn't pitched in 6 weeks. He need some time. We certainly don't need his arm to fall off.

UofCSoxFan
08-10-2009, 04:13 PM
He hasn't pitched in 6 weeks. He need some time. We certainly don't need his arm to fall off.

On a related note, besides the risk of injury, you don't want a situation where he goes 4 innings and runs out of gas so you have to use the pen to cover 5 innings. That can hurt the team for days.

kittle42
08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
On a related note, besides the risk of injury, you don't want a situation where he goes 4 innings and runs out of gas so you have to use the pen to cover 5 innings. That can hurt the team for days.

Especially when you already have another guy in the rotation causing the same problem!

SoxGirl4Life
08-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Especially when you already have another guy in the rotation causing the same problem!

Or two