PDA

View Full Version : Odds the Sox win the World Series in the next 5 years?

doublem23
08-02-2009, 04:09 AM
With the addition of Jake Peavy, we're all aflutter about the Sox pitching staff; currently, Peavy, Danks, and Floyd are under contract/control until 2012 and Buehrle until 2011. We all know the story with some of the bats, Thome's deal expires after this year, Paul's after next year, JD has a mutual option for 2010, TCQ is arbitration eligible until 2012. There are a slew of young, promising players in the minor leagues; Viciedo, Danks II, Hudson, Flowers, etc. Oh, and not to mention, it looks like we have an emerging superstar at third base now, too.

So... What are the odds we end this now agonizing 4-year-long championship drought by 2014, 5 years from now?

Obviously there are a ton of unforseen roster moves to be made all over baseball, but what is your honest feeling right now, today, August 2, 2009?

central44
08-02-2009, 04:37 AM
This team reminds me a lot of the Dodgers. They hung around a poor division in 08, found their identity toward the end of the year and made noise in the postseason (despite winning only 84 games). If the 09 Sox can hang in there through September, they can make an impact on the postseason, and starting next year they should be considered elite with their deep pitching staff. (I happen to think of Buehrle and Peavy as legit aces, and I think Danks/Floyd could at least be #2 pitchers on an average team, and maybe even the ace of a bad one).

A lot depends on the infield though. I love our current infield--if Beckham, Alexei, and Getz improve at fielding their positions to back up that pitching staff...wow. I'm already in love with the versatility this team has with those 3 guys and Pods offensivley--high average, good speed guys --to go with the power in the middle of the order. If this team could play defense to match it, it would be really tough to beat in a 7 game series.

There's no way you can guarantee a championship, but i'd be shocked if we don't see at least a few playoff appearances in the next 5 years.

parlaycard
08-02-2009, 07:00 AM
You better shore up the defense if you plan on winning it all

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 08:49 AM
KW will figure it out and OG will lead them to the promised land.

Wish this poll were public...:D:

LITTLE NELL
08-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Getting a little long in the tooth with guys like Thome and Dye. AJ and Paulie are'nt getting younger either. It all depends on when and with who KW replaces.
Believe it or not but if Peavy comes back strong and we hang in there until he does and the guys do a little bit better with the glove, this year may be a possibility.

russ99
08-02-2009, 10:25 AM
I voted excellent but that's only if Kenny makes equally bold moves to fix the holes in the lineup.

The Dye/Thome thing needs to be settled and an equally talented hitter needs to arrive if one leaves, I love Pods but we could use other options at leadoff/CF and some clarity in the infield would be nice-but Getz/Alexei/Gordo will do if the other two are taken care of.

ode to veeck
08-02-2009, 10:36 AM
one thing at a time, let's not get ahead of ourselves

just beat the Yankees today and then the Angels this week

slavko
08-02-2009, 11:26 AM

Agreed. The recently departed Rev. Ike (see another thread) warned about "Pie in the sky by and by." So do I.

BleacherBandit
08-02-2009, 11:27 AM

There you go. A sweep the Yanks would give us some propullsion, I think.

Somebody above talked about the Dye/Thome issue. I think that we'll be better off with Dye at DH and a new guy in RF. I don't think you get rid of Konerko anytime soon. He's shown consistency this season.

Red Barchetta
08-02-2009, 11:32 AM
You better shore up the defense if you plan on winning it all

IMO that starts with moving players back to their more "natural" position. Perhaps moving Beckham to SS and Alexi back to second base or even CF. I love Pods and his performance this year, however he does not have the arm for CF. It works now, however it is not the long term solution.

I think Thome signs a 1-year deal with the Indians next year and perhaps Dye moves to DH. Move TCQ to RF, Pods back to left and focus on a new CF or as mentioned move Alexi to CF and let Nix/Getz battle for 2B and we pursue a player for 3B.

Gavin
08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I expect them to make the playoffs 2 or 3 times out of 5, so right there they only have a 40-60% chance in 5 years.

fuzzy_patters
08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
I think this team has a good chance. Just look at what the Red Sox have done over the last few years after adding guys like Martinez and Beckett. Picking up other teams' aces is a recipe for success. We already did it once with Freddy Garcia. We might as well do it again.

asindc
08-02-2009, 12:01 PM
I voted excellent but that's only if Kenny makes equally bold moves to fix the holes in the lineup.

The Dye/Thome thing needs to be settled and an equally talented hitter needs to arrive if one leaves, I love Pods but we could use other options at leadoff/CF and some clarity in the infield would be nice-but Getz/Alexei/Gordo will do if the other two are taken care of.

I see no issue there. The only reason Thome would be considered at all is that he is left-handed. That does not overcome the fact that he cannot play the field like Dye, and Dye is a much better hitter at this stage. No brainer.

As for the poll question, I say Good to Excellent. The Sox should be favored to win the division next year based on starting pitching alone. That same starting pitching should give the Sox at least as good a chance as any other team, a better chance than most, in the playoffs.

Domeshot17
08-02-2009, 12:24 PM
A lot depends on the next set of moves.

If Thome leaves after the year adding a power hitting left hander to an open spot is a must.

I do not know if we will keep Gordon at 3rd or move him to 2nd in the spring (I personally think his value is up the middle). I have not been overly impressed with Getz, he hasn't been bad, but also not that good. If we can add a better player at 2nd or 3rd I would be all for it.

I am curious to see how this will go. If we don't win it this year, it allllll starts to hinge on how well our kids succeed. If Jordan Danks doesn't work out, if Vicideo never finds his power stroke (only a 700 OPS, but has been looking great as of late) or if Flowers doesn't live up to the hype, it slams the window shut. I really wonder how much Kennt will sit back and let it happen, or if he will use some of them to pick up quality veteran talent. History says the odds of seeing all these kids in Sox Uniforms, either because of a Bust or because our GM loves to trade, is not too good.

I voted the Good, better than most option. We have a very strong 1-4. The bullpen is the big thing this year. On paper, in terms of talent, we should have the best bullpen in the Central and maybe in all of the AL. However, until they get their collective heads out of their collective asses, its moot. But if they get straight and we get to october, we the pitching now to dominate.

In a sense, I love this for the idea we are a team built for a 7 game series, not a long season (like last year), and that can win in October!

Whappeh
08-02-2009, 12:43 PM
A good chance... but there is a reason the games are played. You never know.

russ99
08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
A lot depends on the next set of moves.

If Thome leaves after the year adding a power hitting left hander to an open spot is a must.

I do not know if we will keep Gordon at 3rd or move him to 2nd in the spring (I personally think his value is up the middle). I have not been overly impressed with Getz, he hasn't been bad, but also not that good. If we can add a better player at 2nd or 3rd I would be all for it.

I am curious to see how this will go. If we don't win it this year, it allllll starts to hinge on how well our kids succeed. If Jordan Danks doesn't work out, if Vicideo never finds his power stroke (only a 700 OPS, but has been looking great as of late) or if Flowers doesn't live up to the hype, it slams the window shut. I really wonder how much Kennt will sit back and let it happen, or if he will use some of them to pick up quality veteran talent. History says the odds of seeing all these kids in Sox Uniforms, either because of a Bust or because our GM loves to trade, is not too good.

It would be great to get to the dance this year, but if not, I think it's opposite. You don't get a Jake Peavy and fill in the rest of the roster with some kids. That said, if Viciedo and Jordan Danks or Mitchell show they're ready, by all means add them to the roster. :D:

I think signing Figgins this offseason for 2B, 3B or CF and finding a younger lefty power bat like Dunn to replace Thome (if he doesn't stay, which he might) and re-upping Dye could push the Sox into being solid contenders for the series.

Bucky F. Dent
08-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Chances are good, but we need to improve team defense!!!!!!!!!!

Railsplitter
08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
50/50

jabrch
08-02-2009, 02:25 PM
I think it largely depends on how the young kids down on the farm develop. If we hit it big with one or two of them, we are in a really good spot. Viciedo? Flowers? Danks? etc... How does Mitchell progress? And then there are a load of peripheral prospects who could play roles.

KW has positioned this team to win. The team has to do it.

Hitmen77
08-02-2009, 10:50 PM
I voted "not good, but wouldn't be shocked if it happened." The reason I picked this option is basically because there are so many good teams in the AL to get past to even make it to the World Series. I certainly think they can do it (even this year!), but I realistically have to say that the odds are less than 50/50.

If they don't pull it off this year, then for next year the 1-4 starting pitching looks great. But I expect they'll have holes to fill at CF, DH, and #5 starter - plus there are always question marks in the bullpen. For 2010 and beyond some of this will depend on our next batch of minor leaguers. Are they going to be like Beckham and Getz? Or more like Fields and Anderson?

soxfanreggie
08-02-2009, 10:59 PM
I think it all depends on what we do on the offensive end. We have a lot of contracts for important positions on the offensive end coming off the books this year or next. We have to make sure we replace those players with some solid FAs, as well as get a solid leadoff hitter.

Granted, our pitching could carry us through a playoff series and could become the best staff in the whole league, but we need someone to produce runs as well.

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Sox will win a world series within the next five years.

oeo
08-02-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't know how anyone can say that it's 100% for sure going to happen. It's such a difficult thing to do, and everything has to go right. Not only in the regular season where one injury could ruin it, but in the postseason, where not necessarily the best team wins, but the hottest. IMO, it's by far the most difficult championship to win in professional sports.

Will they have a good shot with their pitching staff? Sure, but let's remember that none of us here saw a World Series Championship ever until 4 years ago.