PDA

View Full Version : Padres Release Prior

jabrch
08-02-2009, 12:59 AM
No surprise...he's toast.

thomas35forever
08-02-2009, 01:01 AM
Yep. I can't imagine any other team willing to give him a chance.

Foulke You
08-02-2009, 03:35 AM
It would not surprise me a bit if he is on the infamous 2003 "list" of PED users.

34rancher
08-02-2009, 08:16 AM
It would not surprise me a bit if he is on the infamous 2003 "list" of PED users.

You mean calfzilla? Say it isn't so, the mesiah can do no wrong. I have been saying for years he was on something. My logic was that with guys like wood it was he has a torn rotator cuff. With the mesiah, it was he has a sore shoulder (who wants to go all wanny here?). Plus he was from California. Ever notice how many there were from California? I'm still waiting for Koch to come out. That bay area man.

NDSox12
08-02-2009, 10:13 AM

The only surprise is that he was still on their team.

Red Barchetta
08-02-2009, 10:19 AM
You mean calfzilla? Say it isn't so, the mesiah can do no wrong. I have been saying for years he was on something. My logic was that with guys like wood it was he has a torn rotator cuff. With the mesiah, it was he has a sore shoulder (who wants to go all wanny here?). Plus he was from California. Ever notice how many there were from California? I'm still waiting for Koch to come out. That bay area man.

Reminds me of the interleague Sox/Cubs game at the Cell in 2004. We had good seats down the 1B line and after Prior had finished warming up, he was walking to the Cubs dugout and a SOX fan yelled out, "Hey Prior, nice pantyhose!". I laughed so hard the beer spit out of my nose! :D:

I never wish any harm or misfortune on players, even the ones I don't like, however Prior came off as such an arrogant, silver spoon-fed, cry-baby that I could never get past his personality even when he had some impressive numbers. I remember Cub nation being all concerned after one good season that the Yankees were going to lure "the messiah" away from them. :rolleyes: I remember the "Best Staff Ever" whispers after they re-signed Greg Maddox. Yeah right....

LongLiveFisk
08-02-2009, 10:49 AM

You mean even Don Cooper can't fix him? :cool:

Zisk77
08-02-2009, 11:49 AM
Funny, when i read the thread title my firsts thoughts were whose prior?...Greg?...Oh! How the mighty have fallen.

rocky biddle
08-02-2009, 12:10 PM
The Cubs could use a closer. Worked for Kerry Wood...

Maybe pick-up Sam as well and rekindle the '03 magic.

slavko
08-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Steroids? Maybe. But coming in, he had the greatest pitching record in the history of college baseball, I think. The mixed news is that if his signing demands weren't so high coming out of college, he would have been a Twin. And Joe Mauer would have been a Cub.

I almost started to feel bad for him there, but noooooo.

TDog
08-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Steroids? Maybe. But coming in, he had the greatest pitching record in the history of college baseball, I think. The mixed news is that if his signing demands weren't so high coming out of college, he would have been a Twin. And Joe Mauer would have been a Cub. ...

Perhaps, but Mauer is a native of St. Paul and grew up in the Twin Cities. That coupled with his extremely bright future prospects may have the Twins' pick regardless.

slavko
08-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Perhaps, but Mauer is a native of St. Paul and grew up in the Twin Cities. That coupled with his extremely bright future prospects may have the Twins' pick regardless.

You're right on that, but Prior was the big name coming out.

KnightSox
08-02-2009, 12:40 PM
I thought the guy was going to be a future Cy Young winner, good luck to him after baseball. Does anybody remember when he got into it with Bonds? I cannot recall exactly what pitches precipitated it, but Bonds started walking towards Prior while he was on the mound, and Prior immediately left the mound coming at Bonds, at which point Bonds stopped in his tracks.

It was one of the few times I've cheered on a Cub in my lifetime.

Southsider101
08-02-2009, 04:45 PM
At the time of that draft, there were quite a few members of the Twin Cities media thought that the Twins were crazy to draft Mauer over Prior. Many felt it was the Twins just being cheap.

soltrain21
08-02-2009, 05:16 PM
At the time of that draft, there were quite a few members of the Twin Cities media thought that the Twins were crazy to draft Mauer over Prior. Many felt it was the Twins just being cheap.

At the time it was the Twins being cheap. They couldn't afford Prior.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Reminds me of the interleague Sox/Cubs game at the Cell in 2004. We had good seats down the 1B line and after Prior had finished warming up, he was walking to the Cubs dugout and a SOX fan yelled out, "Hey Prior, nice pantyhose!". I laughed so hard the beer spit out of my nose! :D:

I never wish any harm or misfortune on players, even the ones I don't like, however Prior came off as such an arrogant, silver spoon-fed, cry-baby that I could never get past his personality even when he had some impressive numbers. I remember Cub nation being all concerned after one good season that the Yankees were going to lure "the messiah" away from them. :rolleyes: I remember the "Best Staff Ever" whispers after they re-signed Greg Maddox. Yeah right....

It wasn't whispered, it was SHOUTED by Cubbie fans and Cubbie fans in the media.

WhiteSox5187
08-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I thought the guy was going to be a future Cy Young winner, good luck to him after baseball. Does anybody remember when he got into it with Bonds? I cannot recall exactly what pitches precipitated it, but Bonds started walking towards Prior while he was on the mound, and Prior immediately left the mound coming at Bonds, at which point Bonds stopped in his tracks.

It was one of the few times I've cheered on a Cub in my lifetime.

For me that was also one of the few times I've cheered on a Cub. Prior was not only a probable juicer but he was a jerk, Kerry Wood was at the very least a nice guy and a pretty stand up guy. Prior was just a jerk.

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 06:46 PM
They probably just wanted to keep him away from Clayton Richard.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Paul Sullivan reports about Mark Prior's imminent release in the Cubune today. In the column Sullivan posts a direct quote from Prior following his last outing with the Cubs and what has turned out to be his last outing in MLB. (Working to avoid a direct quote from the Cubune.) Sullivan now posts a quote from that post-game in 2006 where Prior had an angry response to a legitimate question. I looked up Sullivan's 2006 report in my library database. Sullivan did not print the quote then. Why not then? Why now?

Throwing a stone from a distance Paul?

StillMissOzzie
08-02-2009, 07:28 PM

I think that balking at a $10M signing package for unproven MLB "talent" doesn't necessarily make a team cheap. I also think that several other teams would have passed at that chance. As further evidence, look how long Porcello was available in the 2009 (or was that 2008?) draft.

SMO
:gulp:

TDog
08-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Paul Sullivan reports about Mark Prior's imminent release in the Cubune today. In the column Sullivan posts a direct quote from Prior following his last outing with the Cubs and what has turned out to be his last outing in MLB. (Working to avoid a direct quote from the Cubune.) Sullivan now posts a quote from that post-game in 2006 where Prior had an angry response to a legitimate question. I looked up Sullivan's 2006 report in my library database. Sullivan did not print the quote then. Why not then? Why now?

Reporters make choices. They don't put everything they have into stories even if they might be good things to know. It's possible he he wasn't given enough space to print the quote because doing so would not only have required the quote but required some context. It is possible his editors had to cut the story for length and found the quote and its context the most cuttable part of the story. Painful cuts are made in newspaper stories all the time. Painful cuts are made when movies are being edited. I wouldn't read anything into why something was cut.

To Sullivan's credit, he had the quote at the ready for his most recent story.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Reporters make choices. They don't put everything they have into stories even if they might be good things to know. It's possible he he wasn't given enough space to print the quote because doing so would not only have required the quote but required some context. It is possible his editors had to cut the story for length and found the quote and its context the most cuttable part of the story. Painful cuts are made in newspaper stories all the time. Painful cuts are made when movies are being edited. I wouldn't read anything into why something was cut.

To Sullivan's credit, he had the quote at the ready for his most recent story.

Yeah, ready to bash a guy outside the Cubune and now probably gone from MLB! How gutsy of Sullivan!

First Rule at The Cubune: Don't diminish the public's perception of the then Cubune crown jewel.

TDog
08-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Yeah, ready to bash a guy outside the Cubune and now probably gone from MLB! How gutsy of Sullivan!

First Rule at The Cubune: Don't diminish the public's perception of the then Cubune crown jewel.

First rule of WSI: Always ausume reporters take their marching orders from Jim Hendry.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2009, 08:15 PM
First rule of WSI: Always ausume reporters take their marching orders from Jim Hendry.

Not what I said. I am simply asking an obvious question. Why is it wrong to ask?

TDog
08-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Not what I said. I am simply asking an obvious question. Why is it wrong to ask?

You questioned Sullivan's integrity on a formum where you would be cheered for doing so.

It may be that Sullivan didn't even have the quote at the time, that he got it from another reporter. There are plenty of reasons why the quote may not have appeared in at the time it was made.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
You questioned Sullivan's integrity on a formum where you would be cheered for doing so.

It may be that Sullivan didn't even have the quote at the time, that he got it from another reporter. There are plenty of reasons why the quote may not have appeared in at the time it was made.

And that's fine, if that's the case. However, they've created the world where their motives and integrity are rightfully questioned. And BTW Sullivan has been called into Cubbie brass offices and chewed out about his "negative" articles.

“I also have lived with my conscience long enough to know that (one Sox fan’s) complaints wouldn’t trouble me so much if I were absolutely sure they were groundless. But the fact is that reporting on an issue in which my company has financial interests is bound to be DIFFERENT than reporting on one in which the company has no interest. And if anybody ever tells you otherwise, check to see that your wallet is still in your pocket.”

“…The realities of modern corporate life put them into an inherently conflicted situation. The most they can do is disclose the conflict. After that, it’s up to the reader/viewer to follow the age-old caution: Let the buyer beware.” - Cubune public editor, 2005

34rancher
08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Or it was more them being told that 1: they could not afford him and 2: he would not sign with them by a certain agent of his. I wonder if one could guess Prior's agent without looking it up. Good luck Nationals.

As for Sully, he would never be allowed to ask tough questions of the corporate entity. Heck, I bet that the Trib tried to fire Rick Reilly even though he wasn't an employee for talking to steroid boy and inflicting a roid-rage.

DumpJerry
08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Wrong. That year the Twins decided that having a high quality Catcher was their top priority. They search the world over with that scouting staff that seems to find diamonds in every rough and found their guy in their own backyard-Joe Mauer.

The Twins had plenty of potential stud starters in their system (as we painfully noticed over the years), what they needed was a catcher who would fill out the equation of good pitching.

gobears1987
08-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Wrong. That year the Twins decided that having a high quality Catcher was their top priority. They search the world over with that scouting staff that seems to find diamonds in every rough and found their guy in their own backyard-Joe Mauer.

The Twins had plenty of potential stud starters in their system (as we painfully noticed over the years), what they needed was a catcher who would fill out the equation of good pitching.
Yep, AJ was approaching free agency in a few years so they needed to draft and develop a catcher since they were unlikely to keep him.

I for one like where free agency brought AJ. :)

cws05champ
08-02-2009, 11:00 PM
And that's fine, if that's the case. However, they've created the world where their motives and integrity are rightfully questioned. And BTW Sullivan has been called into Cubbie brass offices and chewed out about his "negative" articles.
Which is just unacceptable from a team to directly manipulate a beat reporter because of the obvious conflict of interest between the two. I remember how wildly it was criticized by other members of the media too. The Cubs screwed the pooch on that one.

soxfanreggie
08-02-2009, 11:43 PM
He's set for life. I figure he takes the rest of the year off, maybe attempts a comeback next year in Spring Training with a team, and then "retires" and collects his MLB pension before becoming a coach somewhere (maybe a volunteer at his alma mater) or just flat-out doing nothing. I'm not sure if there is a team out there who will sign him, maybe as a "draw" for a minor league team in a minimal deal.

Jim Shorts
08-03-2009, 12:50 PM

Paul Sullivan is a hack. He was bad when he covered the Sox before Gonzo and proved as much when he accused the clubhouse staff of being rats earlier this year. How he's worked in this market so long is a mystery lost on me.

Redus Redux
08-03-2009, 12:58 PM
is this a thread about our 2010 closer?

Marqhead
08-03-2009, 01:22 PM

Oh dear God my eyes!

Woofer
08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Oh dear God my eyes!

That never fails to crack me up.

beasly213
08-03-2009, 01:45 PM

For sarcasm we use teal....

:tealpolice::tealtutor:

Mendoza Line
08-03-2009, 01:47 PM
It wasn't whispered, it was SHOUTED by Cubbie fans and Cubbie fans in the media.

I recall Fox News in the Morning giving away baseball bats in 2004 containing pictures of their rotation and emblazened with the words "Five Aces". They not only shouted it, they made merchandise!

eriqjaffe
08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
I recall Fox News in the Morning giving away baseball bats in 2004 containing pictures of their rotation and emblazened with the words "Five Aces".Isn't it somewhat ironic to celebrate a pitching staff with commemorative bats?

Steelrod
08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Just as odd is how many years Prior has been paid to NOT pitch!

KenBerryGrab
08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
It's time to bronze the towel.

SOXPHILE
08-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Wow. I hear he has flawless mechanics. Definitely a future 20 game winner.

Frankfan4life
08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
Just as odd is how many years Prior has been paid to NOT pitch!I'm assuming you're not counting the simulated games. :redneck

SOX ADDICT '73
08-03-2009, 09:51 PM
Isn't it somewhat ironic to celebrate a pitching staff with commemorative bats?
Off-topic, but I thought the same thing when I saw the ad for the "Mark Buehrle Perfect Game Commemorative Bat"...

http://common.hampsterindustries.com/resources/uploads/products/3760/perfectgame.jpg.jpg

...Don't get me wrong, it's AWESOME, but it doesn't seem appropriate somehow.

Frater Perdurabo
08-03-2009, 09:55 PM
I think it's worth taking a flyer on Prior. The Sox just traded away four pitchers for Peavy; three of them were from the minor leagues. By the time all the Sox minor league teams' rotations and bullpens are settled, there may be room for Prior as a visiting clubhouse attendant in Kannapolis.

DrCrawdad
08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow. I hear he has flawless mechanics. Definitely a future 20 game winner.

Steve Stone was one of many who had said those types of things about Prior and said how with the "flawless mechanics" he'd have a long, long career.

cws05champ
08-04-2009, 09:45 AM
Steve Stone was one of many who had said those types of things about Prior and said how with the "flawless mechanics" he'd have a long, long career.

Steve Stone is never wrong....just ask him, he'll tell you as much. :D:

Irishsox1
08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Anybody remember before Prior got hurt Mike Marshall came out and said (https://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4681&mode=print&nocache=1201626790) that Prior had horrible mechanics?

Here's a nice breakdown of Prior's motion (http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics_ADifferentPerspective.h tml) against others, the big thing to look at his how high his elbow gets and how much strain it puts on the body.

slavko
08-04-2009, 11:44 AM

I must be remembering wrong, because I recall Stone saying the opposite. Or maybe Stone was talking about K. Wood. Too many broken down Cubs pitchers to get them straight.

dickallen15
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
I must be remembering wrong, because I recall Stone saying the opposite. Or maybe Stone was talking about K. Wood. Too many broken down Cubs pitchers to get them straight.

I do know Stone has always questioned Wood's mechanics as he throws across his body.

Red Barchetta
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Anybody remember before Prior got hurt Mike Marshall came out and said (https://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=4681&mode=print&nocache=1201626790) that Prior had horrible mechanics?

Here's a nice breakdown of Prior's motion (http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/Baseball/Pitching/RethinkingPitching/Essays/MarkPriorPitchingMechanics_ADifferentPerspective.h tml) against others, the big thing to look at his how high his elbow gets and how much strain it puts on the body.

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff!

08-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Everytime he pitched in 2003,2004 my co-worker would always say over and over again "The next 30 game winner, The next 30 game winner"....Jesus did he win 30 games his whole career?

Brewski
08-04-2009, 07:21 PM

Your second article quotes Stone as strongly criticizing Prior's motion. So Stone was right after all. Not always, but this time he was.

JB98
08-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Everytime he pitched in 2003,2004 my co-worker would always say over and over again "The next 30 game winner, The next 30 game winner"....Jesus did he win 30 games his whole career?

42-29 career record.

UChicagoHP
08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Guy was damn, damn good, but he peaked at USC/first two years as a Cub. A pitcher only has so many bullets, and Prior used them all up. Even though he was a Cub, guy was an excellent pitcher.

Zisk77
08-05-2009, 07:18 PM

According to Marshall everyone has terrible mechanics, which is why he devised his way of pitching. I saw him speak at a coaching clinic...very interesting. Seems kinestetically sound. Very unorthodox,it will be interesting to see if it catches on.

getonbckthr
08-05-2009, 07:35 PM
I wonder where the Cubs would be if Prior and Wood weren't made of glass?

thedudeabides
08-05-2009, 10:52 PM
According to Marshall everyone has terrible mechanics, which is why he devised his way of pitching. I saw him speak at a coaching clinic...very interesting. Seems kinestetically sound. Very unorthodox,it will be interesting to see if it catches on.

It is interesting, but Marshall is viewed as kind of a crackpot by coaches and scouts. Very few have taken his approach seriously.

He's right in a sense that everyones mechanics have flaws because it is an unnatural motion. The body isn't really designed to pitch. Prior did seem to have a very good repeatable motion, and it was an easy motion. For a while, I thought he was going to be the best in the game. His fastball had as much late action as just about anybody I can remember. His ball just exploded. Injury is a major risk for any pitcher. That's why these Strasburg, and Aroldis Chapman dollars they are talking are just crazy.

Lip Man 1
08-06-2009, 12:21 AM
On Real Sports with Bryant Gumble they had a segment on Marshall and his unorthodox pitching mechanics. (It may be available for viewing on You Tube).

I have never seen anything like it and don't know how someone can throw the ball five feet let alone 60 feet, six inches but apparently there are some people who can with speed (upper 80's).

One of the strangest things I've seen.

Lip