PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Meltdown in Miami

Brian26
08-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Anyone watching this?

Gavin
08-01-2009, 09:52 PM
I live in Chicago but I'm still watching it on MLB Network because it's the Florida feed.

The MLB guys have been ripping into Lou and Hendry in the background.

Tragg
08-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Pretty funny. 2 out and nobody on, up 3...now tied.

But what is really sad are how the Marlins and the RAys get outdrawn/outcheered at home by some teams.
They should forfeit their franchise.

GoGoCrede
08-01-2009, 09:54 PM
So that's what the Cubs guy on my Twitter feed is complaining about.

I do love the Marlins.

Kevin Gregg strikes again!

Brian26
08-01-2009, 09:55 PM
I live in Chicago but I'm still watching it on MLB Network because it's the Florida feed.

Same here. Magrane and Mitch Williams are entertaining.

LoveYourSuit
08-01-2009, 09:56 PM
With the issues we've been having at closing games too, I feel for the Cubs. I know that feeling.

Not good.

GoGoCrede
08-01-2009, 09:58 PM
I really don't pay attention to the Cubs, but the shot of that one fan hanging his head was pretty entertaining.

InKennyWeTrust
08-01-2009, 10:01 PM
So this thread causes me to turn on the game, and just to see Lee take the lead. Thanks.

Tragg
08-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Look at those Cubs fans the way they're dancing....have they ever been to a ball game before?

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Z left the game early too!

Gavin
08-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Man, the MLB channel at night is like what Baseball Tonight isn't, in every way possible. I can leave the channel on and dick around at my apartment and not feel like I've missed anything in the baseball world. To summarize, it's awesome.

Viva Medias B's
08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I wish my cable system carried MLB Network. I think this game, even if the Cubs hold on to win it, is proof that they cannot win games consistently against teams better than the Nationals, Astros, and Reds.

JB98
08-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Look at those Cubs fans the way they're dancing....have they ever been to a ball game before?

Their fan culture is so bizarre. They're always dancing in the streets over every little thing.

slavko
08-01-2009, 10:27 PM
Their fan culture is so bizarre. They're always dancing in the streets over every little thing.

Main problem: No big things.

1908<2005
08-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Z left the game early too!

The Cubs should worry about Aramis leaving the game

BleacherBandit
08-01-2009, 10:35 PM
Why I hate the Cubs:

In my fantasy league, I'm neck and neck with my competitor this week, especially in the category of wins.

My opponent had Kevin Gregg, and I had Carlos Zambrano. We were tied for wins, and Zambrano (although he left after the third) was slated to win. However, Kevin Gregg decided to give up three runs in the 9th inning with two outs. But the Cubs don't lose, they gain a run, and Gregg gets the win.

Kevin Gregg single-handedly destroyed my chances of having Zambrano win, and then got the win himself, making me lose in that category this week.

**** Kevin Gregg. **** the Cubs.

voodoochile
08-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Why I hate the Cubs:

In my fantasy league, I'm neck and neck with my competitor this week, especially in the category of wins.

My opponent had Kevin Gregg, and I had Carlos Zambrano. We were tied for wins, and Zambrano (although he left after the third) was slated to win. However, Kevin Gregg decided to give up three runs in the 9th inning with two outs. But the Cubs don't lose, they gain a run, and Gregg gets the win.

Kevin Gregg single-handedly destroyed my chances of having Zambrano win, and then got the win himself, making me lose in that category this week.

**** Kevin Gregg. **** the Cubs.

How would a starter who left after 3 get credited with a W? Did they change the rules?

BleacherBandit
08-01-2009, 10:48 PM
How would a starter who left after 3 get credited with a W? Did they change the rules?

If that's a rule of the MLB, i've never heard about it. :scratch:

voodoochile
08-01-2009, 10:52 PM
If that's a rule of the MLB, i've never heard about it. :scratch:

Starters have to pitch 5 innings before they can be credited with a win. Home starter has to last through the top of the 5th, road stater through the bottom half.

BleacherBandit
08-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Starters have to pitch 5 innings before they can be credited with a win. Home starter has to last through the top of the 5th, road stater through the bottom half.

Huh. Can't believe I've gone through 22 years of watching baseball to figure that out. I guess whenever I've seen it happen, I haven't noticed.

Kevin Gregg still sucks.

Frater Perdurabo
08-02-2009, 07:14 AM

I think it has more to do with the booze than with the Cubs themselves.

jcw218
08-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I wish my cable system carried MLB Network. I think this game, even if the Cubs hold on to win it, is proof that they cannot win games consistently against teams better than the Nationals, Astros, and Reds.

Just curious, who is your cable provider?

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 01:14 PM

My boss is actually a pretty huge Cubs fan, and the other day he was telling me when he goes to games he purposely leaves right away so he doesn't have to hear THE song. He says it's the most pointless song ever and doesn't even make sense.

NOT all of them are like that..I would say 5% are not. HAHA.

SoxGirl4Life
08-02-2009, 06:43 PM
:roflmao: did anyone see this 9th inning? 2 solo shots and down go the Cubs to the Marlins, 3-2

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 06:44 PM
:roflmao: did anyone see this 9th inning? 2 solo shots and down go the Cubs to the Marlins, 3-2
Beautiful!!!

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 06:45 PM
I didn't see but one of my friend has set his facebook status calling Gregg a bunch of named. HA.

GoGoCrede
08-02-2009, 06:46 PM
I didn't see but one of my friend has set his facebook status calling Gregg a bunch of named. HA.

There's a dude on my Twitter feed who flipped out about this. He claims to be unbiased and he does cover Sox games too, but it's obvious where his heart truly lies.

It got annoying. He made like 15 updates in as many minutes.

OldRomanPizza
08-02-2009, 06:46 PM
KEVIN GREGG

The extra G is for Gopher!!! ;)

SoxGirl4Life
08-02-2009, 06:47 PM

Oh it was beautiful. Worth it to catch the highlights. I had it on mute and I rewound the TIVO to catch the commentary. Yes I'm sick, but it warms my heart when the Cubs do things that are just so Cubbie.

At first i thought the second shot was a reply of the first.

LMAO and the bombs were on consecutive pitches!

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 06:49 PM
My friend said is was two pitches, two home runs?

Ouch.

SoxGirl4Life
08-02-2009, 06:50 PM
My friend said is was two pitches, two home runs?

Ouch.

lol. yup. That's why I thought it was a replay. Wow.

And this kid at work was going around saying he's going to enjoy his "first place cubs". I said, I'm going to call them second place cubs if they ever fall to second place and you can't say ****. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow :tongue:

Oh, and I'm his boss, so he can't say anything back :bandance:

Cuck the Fubs
08-02-2009, 07:00 PM

That was EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No wait...it was truly a CUBBIE OCCURANCE! :cool:

TDog
08-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I looked at the accounts of the game after reading the thread updates. I'm not sure why Dempster was taken out after six. The Cubs had two blown saves in the game, and they had a blown save Saturday.

I don't understand why some managers don't leave starters in longer. Porcello was winning last night after eight, and Rodney gave up a run to send the game into extra innings. The Tigers eventually won, although the bullpen allmost blew the save for a second time. Today the Tigers had to leave Galaraga in to get clobbered because their bullpen was spent.

I think the reason so many bullpens are pitching so poorly is that they are being overused. If starting pitchers were staying in the game longer and relievers weren't warming up hard or coming into games nearly every day, as was the case when the Sox had great bullpens in the 1960s, relievers would be sharper.

DrCrawdad
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
http://www.cubssuckclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ron-santo.jpg
"Back to back jacks!"

JB98
08-02-2009, 07:30 PM
I have to admit, I was disappointed to have seen the Sox lose in person (again) this afternoon. But I arrived home from the park just in time to see the Cubs go from having a 2-1 lead to losing 3-2 in two pitches.

Good for a chuckle...

OldRomanPizza
08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
"back to back jacks!"

this wins.

malbert346
08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
"HIS NAME IS DAN UGGLA!"

Love that catchphrase from Rich Waltz.

You can hear it on the highlights as they used the FSN feed.

Viva Medias B's
08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
just curious, who is your cable provider?

Wide Open West

chisoxfanatic
08-02-2009, 07:49 PM
At first i thought the second shot was a reply of the first.

LMAO and the bombs were on consecutive pitches!
Hahahaha!!! I did too!!! And then seeing the few Cubbies who hung around in the dugout was priceless!
I don't understand why some managers don't leave starters in longer. Porcello was winning last night after eight, and Rodney gave up a run to send the game into extra innings. The Tigers eventually won, although the bullpen allmost blew the save for a second time. Today the Tigers had to leave Galaraga in to get clobbered because their bullpen was spent.
I do...I call it the ************* of pitching.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2009, 08:24 PM
TDog:

It's because of the imbecilic notion of "pitch counts" (in Dempster's case I think it was because he was out a month) and "matchup's".

That's why starters don't go deeper into games and that's why bullpens are overworked.

Lip

Dick Allen
08-02-2009, 09:04 PM
lol. yup. That's why I thought it was a replay. Wow.

And this kid at work was going around saying he's going to enjoy his "first place cubs". I said, I'm going to call them second place cubs if they ever fall to second place and you can't say ****. Guess what I'm doing tomorrow :tongue:

Oh, and I'm his boss, so he can't say anything back :bandance:Fire the little ****.

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 09:17 PM
I laughed at the high lights.

LoveYourSuit
08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
With the issues we've been having at closing games too, I feel for the Cubs. I know that feeling.

Not good.

I said this yesterday and I will re-post it today.

On a day we lose a tough game to the Yankees and also knowing how our closer has suffered a few meltdowns here lately...... I will reserve my celebration on this one.

The Tigers and Twins blowing games..... :bandance::bandance::bandance:

That's what I get up to celebrate for.

I care less about the Cubs right now.

TDog
08-02-2009, 10:01 PM
TDog:

It's because of the imbecilic notion of "pitch counts" (in Dempster's case I think it was because he was out a month) and "matchup's".

That's why starters don't go deeper into games and that's why bullpens are overworked.

Lip

I stand corrected. I do understand.

On this we agree.

1908<2005
08-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Isn't that what we did last week with Jenks?

WhiteSox1989
08-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Isn't that what we did last week with Jenks?

I didn't.

whitesoxfan
08-03-2009, 12:09 AM
It didn't really matter that they took Dempster out in the 6th. At the time it appeared it did, but the Fox homer in the 9th made that irrelevant. The closer got the ball in the bottom of the 9th and he blew it.

TDog
08-03-2009, 12:15 PM
It didn't really matter that they took Dempster out in the 6th. At the time it appeared it did, but the Fox homer in the 9th made that irrelevant. The closer got the ball in the bottom of the 9th and he blew it.

I must have misread the game log. It looked like Dempster left with a 1-0 lead after six and Heilman gave up a home run in the seventh to tie the game before the Cubs got a home run in the ninth, and the Cubs brought in their closer, who blew a lead on Saturday night, to give up two home runs for the loss.

I wasn't following the game. I'm just interested in managers misusing bullpens so they can coddle starters.

eriqjaffe
08-03-2009, 12:50 PM
I wasn't following the game. I'm just interested in managers misusing bullpens so they can coddle starters.That wasn't an issue when Dusty was managing them!

SOXPHILE
08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
"Back to back jacks!"

Hilarious. Did you hear the radio call on those two homers ? I didn't, but I was thinking it probably went something like

(After Uggla's homer): "...Awwww Geeeeze.. I meant COME ON !..Kevin Gregg..he..he's just NOT getting it done !"

(After the game winner) ".....AWWW GOD ! Aghh..gurgle....Patrick, I.....I....just..." (A thump is heard as he slips out of his chair, knocking off his toupe)

russ99
08-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Hilarious. Did you hear the radio call on those two homers ? I didn't, but I was thinking it probably went something like

(After Uggla's homer): "...Awwww Geeeeze.. I meant COME ON !..Kevin Gregg..he..he's just NOT getting it done !"

(After the game winner) ".....AWWW GOD ! Aghh..gurgle....Patrick, I.....I....just..." (A thump is heard as he slips out of his chair, knocking off his toupe)

Nice. :D:

Freaky scene there in Miami. First off, the Village People played a concert after the game on Saturday.

Lou ran out of players and had to flip-flop Baker and Soriano at 2B and 3B two times in the 10th inning.

Then Lou alluded to using Zambozo out of the pen, and he replied "I'm not a reliever".

I wonder how much more Lou can take of this insanity...

veeter
08-03-2009, 04:52 PM
"HIS NAME IS DAN UGGLA!"

Love that catchphrase from Rich Waltz.

You can hear it on the highlights as they used the FSN feed.I really like both the Marlin's and Rays' announcers.

TDog
08-03-2009, 07:03 PM

Then Lou alluded to using Zambozo out of the pen, and he replied "I'm not a reliever". ...

Maybe that was taken out of context. How could a starter decline to pitch in relief to help his team? Tom Seaver pitched in relief sometimes between starts when he was with the White Sox, and he was, well, Tom Seaver for cryin' out loud.

Mark Buehrle got a World Series save after Bobby Jenks blew Buehrle's opportunity for a win in his only World Series start, so relieving isn't beneath Mr. Buehrle. But Buehrle isn't regarded as a No. 1 starter the way Zambrano is.

Really, though, I have never thought Lou Piniella was a great manager.

Brewski
08-03-2009, 07:10 PM

Just thinking, when he plays golf, and one of the foursome hits a putt that he thinks is going to be short, what does he yell? (Did I really say that?)