PDA

View Full Version : New York Times on Dewayne Wise

TheMilkman
08-01-2009, 10:25 PM
DWise has made the Big Time! There's a nice article on him in Sunday's New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/sports/baseball/02wise.html?_r=1&ref=sports

soxfanreggie
08-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Only select baseball players have a chance to be part of the Hall for something or another, some for one-time feats, some for a great career. Wise can always go there with his family and friends and point out his place in baseball history.

soxfan1965
08-01-2009, 11:24 PM
That is a great story, I'm happy for Wise. I can relate to his getting bounced around in obscurity, paying his dues, and getting his big chance late. Not only does he get something better than a watch from Buehrle, but a big steak dinner on Air Force One, the White House, or in Chicago after the Sox win the World Series. p.s. Wise, ask for Kobe Steak while you're at it.

thomas35forever
08-01-2009, 11:26 PM
That really is a great article. If anyone had told me earlier in the year that the New York Times would be doing a biographical piece on Dewayne Wise, I would have thought they were nuts. Go Dewayne!:bandance:

BoysMom3
08-02-2009, 12:09 AM
What a great article! Got me all teary-eyed all over again!

I've always liked Dewayne and his attitude. It takes me a few hours to get to Chicago, so it's great to have a win when I make it to a game. Last year, on July 1st (my b-day!) I went up with ThomeFan. It was his first time to drive in the city, and he cut his teeth on the Dan Ryan. All around great day - met some people from here in the parking lot. And it was a game that Wise ended up winning for the Sox with a home run, a great memory!

I'm really glad for him, he seems like such a great guy. :smile:

guillensdisciple
08-02-2009, 04:10 AM
This is a great story, and I am happy to have witnessed it. Through all the crap and garbage he has been given, he has done his job without complaint. He might not be the best at it, but we forget that baseball players are human beings too. So we beat on him, and beat on him until it becomes boring to do it.

He gets a pass from me, and he deserves it. I wish he was more talented, because he seems like a class act and one of those guys that deserves a break. I think that is why Ozzie likes him so much, not because of his talent, but because of who he is as a person. This is why I respect the White Sox organization as a whole. They value the logo and its players more than the money and public opinion.

doublem23
08-02-2009, 04:45 AM
I know Wells was Buehrle's mentor in 2001, but I didn't know the two still spoke. Anyone who ever complains about David Wells' 1 year here always forgets that without David Wells, Mark Buehrle may never have become the pitcher he has.

southside rocks
08-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Nice article. Sharing the spotlight for MB's perfect game couldn't have happened to a more deserving player than DeWayne Wise, IMO. The guy does his work and always has.

hawkjt
08-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Sometimes the old adages apply:

Luck is the residue of design...ie. Wise's years of practicing those wall catches paid off ...and put him in the HOF.

Congrats to DeWayne for preparing to step up when his big opportunity came and making all the extra work worthwhile.:D:

cbone
08-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Great article. I'm happy for him. No matter what happens from here, he'll always be a part of White Sox history. :gulp:

voodoochile
08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
:tiphat: Mr. Wise.

LongLiveFisk
08-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Love that photo! :thumbsup:

Gavin
08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Castro and Wise are getting commissioned paintings of their roles c/o MB. Love it.

rookie
08-02-2009, 01:18 PM
What a sweet article! I love it how Mark is doing something for Castro as well. I love the White Sox.:smile:

Southsider101
08-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Nice article. Sharing the spotlight for MB's perfect game couldn't have happened to a more deserving player than DeWayne Wise, IMO. The guy does his work and always has.

Well put.

Also, a VERY classy move by the Sox to print "The Catch" above the Billy Pierce portrait.

gobears1987
08-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I really like Dewayne and the way FOBAs treated him was ****ing classless and sad.

The man tries harder than anyone. He doesn't have the talent that a lot of players have, but he has heart and never gives less than all he has.

TheMilkman
08-02-2009, 11:51 PM
I just noticed that the writer also has a blog post about DWise, Billy Pierce and Wise's favorite defensive plays. It's good to see Bill Pierce getting some rememberence from the national media...

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/01/dewayne-wises-leap-into-history/

southside rocks
08-03-2009, 07:19 AM
I really like Dewayne and the way FOBAs treated him was ****ing classless and sad.

The man tries harder than anyone. He doesn't have the talent that a lot of players have, but he has heart and never gives less than all he has.

Which is often the deciding factor, for a manager, when he has to choose between two players who offer similar skill-sets.

It certainly is a deciding factor for a manager like Ozzie Guillen, as anyone who is familiar with Ozzie's work ethic and game philosophy will know.

DeWayne Wise goes about his business the right way.