PDA

View Full Version : Busch Stadium in St. Louis

MeteorsSox4367
08-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Came home yesterday after spending three days in St. Louis. Was able to see the Cardinals and the Dodgers twice.

This was my first time in the new Busch Stadium and I was very impressed. I was with a good friend of mine from work and the term he kept using was "fan friendly."

The concourses are wide, the views are fantastic and the people were friendly. In fact, two guys from Decatur who were sitting across the aisle from me said "At least we both hate the Cubs" when I mentioned that I was from Chicago and the Sox were my favorite team.

The view of the Gateway Arch beyond the ballpark is gorgeous as well.

The only thing I wasn't crazy about were the prices. Plastic bottles of Bud Light are $7.75 apiece. At least they were cold.

I also thought it was pretty cool that the Cardinals have statues of the players whose numbers they've retired on the plaza outside near left field. They also saved the Musial statue and have it by the third-base entrance with the street sign "Musial Way" above.

The Cardinals always have been one of my favorite NL teams and this visit strengthened that thought.

HomeFish
08-01-2009, 02:53 PM
The atmosphere at the Cardinals stadium when I went there in 2004 struck me as perhaps a bit too family-friendly. I remember heckling an umpire who made a bad call against the Cards and being looked at as if I committed a horrible crime.

SaltyPretzel
08-01-2009, 03:07 PM
The atmosphere at the Cardinals stadium when I went there in 2004 struck me as perhaps a bit too family-friendly. I remember heckling an umpire who made a bad call against the Cards and being looked at as if I committed a horrible crime.

When the Sox played the Cards here, their fans did seem a bit strange.

DumpJerry
08-01-2009, 03:42 PM

When the Sox played the Cards here, their fans did seem a bit strange.
I've heard that Cardinal fans are very, very serious baseball fans. They do not get outwardly excited and strongly disapprove outward displays of emotions.

MARTINMVP
08-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Never been to St. Louis but I am a can of the Redbirds. While the Cardinal fans from St. Louis hate the Cubs, their hate of the Cubs seems to be less than Cub fans.

It's funny how idiot Cub fans on their own message boards have complete threads about how living in St. Louis or MO is enough to commit suicide and that they are all hicks down there. Not sure what the people are like in St. Louis but at least the Card fans seem more normal than Cub fans who often seem to be more into the "pop cultureness" rather than baseball.

DumpJerry
08-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Not sure what the people are like in St. Louis but at least the Card fans seem more normal than Cub fans who often seem to be more into the "pop cultureness" rather than baseball.
:burly:crede
St. Louis people, and Missouri people by extension, are pretty cool.

MeteorsSox4367
08-01-2009, 04:04 PM
:burly:crede
St. Louis people, and Missouri people by extension, are pretty cool.

Dump: One thing I didn't like about Busch Stadium was in the gift shop where they had AL name and number All-Star t-shirts for Longoria, Pedroia, Bay and some others, but no Buehrle.

I asked one of the guys who was working there if they had a Buehrle shirt and he said they didn't but should have had one since he was from Missouri.

chisox616
08-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I've been to a Cubs-Cards game this year and while you see a few "Go Cubs" chants vs. "Go Cards" chants, I guarantee it's no where near the hatred at a Cubs-Sox game. Obviously it depends fan to fan, but for the most part, I saw plenty of Cubs and Cards people just sitting next to one another watching the game, cheering independently. I don't see that hatred that you see in Sox/Cubs or Yankees/Red Sox.

One thing that really annoys me is that, no matter who's playing, there's at least a thousand Cub fans in the stands, most decked out in Cub gear. Never fails.

I'm going to the Cards game next Monday vs. the Reds and I'm super pumped, even though we don't even have great seats.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I had an old woman have issues with me when I booed Manny Ramirez at the Cards/Dodgers game I attended last year. I didn't respond. I just kept booing.

hi im skot
08-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Exiting Busch from the upper deck is a trainwreck.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Exiting Busch from the upper deck is a trainwreck.
Huh? I got out pretty easily! I love the escalators they have that go down.

I will say that, at the Cards/Dodgers game I was at last year, a bunch of Cardinals fans WERE doing the "1908!" chant, because there was a Cubs fan who came in full Cubs attire who was causing trouble during the long rain delay.

CLR01
08-03-2009, 03:53 PM
It's funny how idiot Cub fans on their own message boards have complete threads about how living in St. Louis or MO is enough to commit suicide and that they are all hicks down there.

They're pretty much right.

TheZebra
08-03-2009, 04:26 PM

A bit too family-friendly indeed. I went to a Cardinals-Angels game there a couple seasons ago adorned in a "Cubs Suck" t-shirt. The security guy near the entrance made me change in front of him.

I understand wanting parents and children to feel comfortable at the park, but that seemed a little extreme to me.

twentywontowin
08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
A bit too family-friendly indeed. I went to a Cardinals-Angels game there a couple seasons ago adorned in a "Cubs Suck" t-shirt. The security guy near the entrance made me change in front of him.

I understand wanting parents and children to feel comfortable at the park, but that seemed a little extreme to me.

I had a friend have similar happen at Busch as well.

Viva Medias B's
08-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Cardinal Nation takes its baseball seriously and does not like to partake in the vitriolic back-and-forth with other teams' fans.