PDA

View Full Version : Ken Rosenthal's take on the Peavy Trade

SoxGirl4Life
08-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Great article on The Trade

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9879004/ChiSox-pull-off-last-second-gamble-with-Peavy-deal

BoysMom3
08-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Thanks for sharing - great article! Biggest balls in the game, LOL!

Brian26
08-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Biggest gonads in the business.

dwalteroo
08-01-2009, 12:22 AM
That's a whole lot of awesome.

Peavy's agent was on the Score this afternoon. He said he didn't even talk to Peavy today until an hour before the trade deadline.

thedudeabides
08-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Thanks for posting that. Good info from Rosenthal. I love Kenny, outside of Hahn and Jerry, nobody else knew it was going down.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 12:39 AM
One thing that I will give Kenny a ton of credit for is not stopping until he gets what he wants. His persistence has helped more than hurt this organization in his tenure here. God bless Kenny Williams.

DrCrawdad
08-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks for sharing - great article! Biggest balls in the game, LOL!

Kenny, here's some Hayseed Dixie for ya! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SEYJZNI7dw)

hawkjt
08-01-2009, 07:56 AM
One thing that I will give Kenny a ton of credit for is not stopping until he gets what he wants. His persistence has helped more than hurt this organization in his tenure here. God bless Kenny Williams.

The other GM called it a gamble, and Rosenthal cites other GM's protecting the young arms...but in Chicago, kenny has to gamble, and do they know that the Sox have their rotation basically locked up for the next 3 years? 3 years is a lifetime in baseball or sports...if the Sox contend the next three years...and the economy coming back,if the olympics gets approved, the South Side could be transformed economically also...and the Sox on firmer ground than ever before....the real gamble is not doing anything sometimes..with this fan base anyway.

Tragg
08-01-2009, 09:31 AM
The article also points out that it was the same deal as in May.

This trade's a steal if Peavy is what people say he is: a stud pitcher in the category of Santana and Halladay.

DickAllen72
08-01-2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks for posting that. Good info from Rosenthal. I love Kenny, outside of Hahn and Jerry, nobody else knew it was going down.
I've said it many times before: "Kenny Williams is one of the best GMs in baseball." He's also been my favorite GM because I just love his attitude and the way he does business. He's just my kind of guy.

spawn
08-01-2009, 09:52 AM
According to posters in this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114201) thread, Kenny was just sitting around picking daisies.

infohawk
08-01-2009, 10:20 AM
The other GM called it a gamble, and Rosenthal cites other GM's protecting the young arms...but in Chicago, kenny has to gamble, and do they know that the Sox have their rotation basically locked up for the next 3 years? 3 years is a lifetime in baseball or sports...if the Sox contend the next three years...and the economy coming back,if the olympics gets approved, the South Side could be transformed economically also...and the Sox on firmer ground than ever before....the real gamble is not doing anything sometimes..with this fan base anyway.
Agreed. I find it kind of amusing that several writers and fans keep fixating on whether Peavy can help the Sox "this year." Wow, are they missing the point of what KW just did! This deal is really more about the next several years. With the success KW is having in turning over the roster with versatile players, the emergence of Danks and Floyd, the arrival of Beckham, Buerhle being Buerhle, Cleveland not being nearly as strong as they once seemed and losing V-Mart, Detroit's roster getting older at the same time as Detroit's economic fate is declining because of GM, and the Twins moving out of the Metrodome with a nice, though hardly dominant team, KW just positioned the Sox to dominate the central for several years on the strength of their starting pitching.

And I'm sure he's not done....

WhiteSoxFTW
08-01-2009, 10:42 AM
23 seconds left on the clock?! Wow! :gulp:

WisSoxFan
08-01-2009, 10:45 AM
23 seconds left on the clock?! Wow! :gulp:

What's the big deal. Jordan would have done it with less.

Domeshot17
08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
According to posters in this (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114201) thread, Kenny was just sitting around picking daisies.

If you are going to play the I told you so game on them, atleast have the "gonads" to admit you said you had no idea what Kenny was doing either. It isn't like you had this giant piece of inside information that said this was going down. Some of the posters there come out and say it, and when a deal is not announced until 25 minutes after the deadline, 5 minutes after the deadline 99% of Sox Fans were led to believe nothing had happened.

You were never saying Kenny has an ace up his sleeve, you were defending the idea that no results did not mean no effort. I understand it, and to an extent I agree with it, but this whole look look look I told you so stuff is just an internet victory, nothing more.

spawn
08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
If you are going to play the I told you so game on them, atleast have the "gonads" to admit you said you had no idea what Kenny was doing either. It isn't like you had this giant piece of inside information that said this was going down. Some of the posters there come out and say it, and when a deal is not announced until 25 minutes after the deadline, 5 minutes after the deadline 99% of Sox Fans were led to believe nothing had happened.

You were never saying Kenny has an ace up his sleeve, you were defending the idea that no results did not mean no effort. I understand it, and to an extent I agree with it, but this whole look look look I told you so stuff is just an internet victory, nothing more.
I have no problem saying that. I had no idea what he was doing. I had no idea we would get Peavy. I had no idea if we were going to get anyone. Also, Sox fans weren't led to believe anything. Ozzie had no idea what was going on, and KW wasn't talking. According to Towers, he had no idea what KW wanted to repoen talks on Peavy. Posters here made assumptions and were passing them off as fact. They were wrong. As far as the "I told you so game", well, the only thing I told anyone is we have no idea what KW is doing. Happy?:rolleyes:

Domeshot17
08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
I have no problem saying that. I had no idea what he was doing. I had no idea we would get Peavy. I had no idea if we were going to get anyone. Also, Sox fans weren't led to believe anything. Ozzie had no idea what was going on, and KW wasn't talking. According to Towers, he had no idea what KW wanted to repoen talks on Peavy. Posters here made assumptions and were passing them off as fact. They were wrong. As far as the "I told you so game", well, the only thing I told anyone is we have no idea what KW is doing. Happy?:rolleyes:

I guess my thing is, I had on mlb network's coverage at work following the coverage. They, ESPN, everyone was mentioning how shocked they were the Sox were going nothing. I know ALOT of the grooning was coming just from that, that major networks and reporters were all feeding the idea Kenny was content.

I get the idea of posting it in the roadhouse, it was funny, everyone including those who were upset got a great laugh out of it, it was fine, but the next day to be all look look look i told them so i told them so, it's weak.

spawn
08-01-2009, 11:56 AM
I get the idea of posting it in the roadhouse, it was funny, everyone including those who were upset got a great laugh out of it, it was fine, but the next day to be all look look look i told them so i told them so, it's weak.
Funny, but my post linking that thread didn't say "I told you so". It pointed out how stupid it is to make assumptions. Sorry you got so offended. :rolleyes: