PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee's Phillie debut...

JermaineDye05
07-31-2009, 10:34 PM
No-hitter through 5.

He has 1 walk; that to former teammate, Ryan Garko.

WhiteSox1989
07-31-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm pulling for him to get the no hitter. I like the Phillies. Think that was a good trade.

JermaineDye05
07-31-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm pulling for him to get the no hitter. I like the Phillies. Think that was a good trade.

How rare is it for a pitcher to throw a no-hitter in his first start since being traded to a team?

It is only 5 innings and he has a long way to go, but it sure would be interesting to see.

Tragg
07-31-2009, 10:38 PM
Does anyone have a sense of between what Philly gave for Lee and what we gave for Peavy.

That was a clever move by Philly to grab Lee.

spongyfungy
07-31-2009, 10:38 PM
nice. Giants offense is a joke though and a top AL pitcher going to the NL will just mow down everyone in his path. look at what Javier Vazquez is doing with the braves

JermaineDye05
07-31-2009, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have a sense of between what Philly gave for Lee and what we gave for Peavy.

They gave, essentially what they offered for Halladay.

I don't follow the Phillies prospects, all I know was Drabek was their best and they didn't give him up. I don't know anything about the players they gave up.

JermaineDye05
07-31-2009, 10:40 PM
nice. Giants offense is a joke though and a top AL pitcher going to the NL will just mow down everyone in his path. look at what Javier Vazquez is doing with the braves

Look at what CC did with the Brewers.

spongyfungy
07-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Uribe no hit killer!

GoGoCrede
07-31-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice, Uribe.

MarkZ35
07-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Look at what CC did with the Brewers.
CC was amazing last year with the Brew Crew. He DOMINATED the NL with a CG almost every game.

BleacherBandit
07-31-2009, 10:50 PM
It was Uribe who broke it up.

Perfect Games/no-hitters: Uribe taketh away.

WhiteSox1989
07-31-2009, 10:59 PM
I love me some Juanie!

JermaineDye05
07-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Cliff Lee now has 2 hits in the game, more than he has given up to the Giants.
How's that for a debut?

TDog
08-01-2009, 01:31 AM

The Giants offense isn't that bad. It is improving as young talent, like Sandoval, develops. It will be better still when Sanchez is activated.

As for the question about pitchers pitching no-hitters in their first start for new teams, the first pitcher to do it was Don Cardwell for the Cubs in 1960, two days after he was traded by the Phillies. Wilson Alvarez probably counts, too. He had a disastrous start for the Rangers before being traded to the White Sox. After spending some time in the minors, he came up and no-hit the Orioles in his first White Sox start.

tm1119
08-01-2009, 01:24 PM

Philly gave up a decent amount more than we did in my opinion. I live in the Philly area (south NJ) so i do follow them a little bit. The 2 pitchers they gave up are actually pretty similar to Poreda and Carter. Carrasco is a pretty advanced 22 year old in AAA that is a lot better than his #'s this year, and Knapp is very similar to Carter in that he is dominating in low A ball this year and has a very high ceiling. Knapp is still only 19 though. The other 2 guys the Phillies gave up are both probably MLB ready now. Marson(C) and Donald(SS/2B) may not be stars in the future but both should be solid contributors. Good role players at the worst.
Had we given a better 4th pitcher than Russel they would probably have been about even offers, but Russel isnt any more than a throw in to me.

WSox597
08-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Just like he always does, he's around .500.

8-7 right now, ERA 3.01. 158 SO, 28 BB. Just like always.

Career 135-136.

Looks like he's beaten the Cubs twice, so he has that going for him. :D:

Madscout
08-01-2009, 02:07 PM
The Giants offense isn't that bad. It is improving as young talent, like Sandoval, develops. It will be better still when Sanchez is activated.
Word. The best thing Cliff Lee, Clayton Richard, and Poreda have going for them is the NL lineups.

TDog
08-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Word. The best thing Cliff Lee, Clayton Richard, and Poreda have going for them is the NL lineups.

Cliff Lee can be a very good pitcher, and pitchers with less experience with him have had less of a chance to figure him out. It isn't just a matter of the AL being better than the NL. Even in Lee's Cy Young season, he lost to the Reds, and he didn't lose much last year.

Last summer, Sean Gallagher gave up only two hits and struck out seven in seven innings against the Angels in his first game for the A's after being traded from the Cubs. He looked very good, much better than he looked as a Cubs pitcher. I didn't take that as evidence that he was coming from a tougher league or that the Angels had a pitiful offense.

I was worried because Gallager looked so good. But he has had arm problems and he had since been traded to the Padres.