PDA

View Full Version : Royce vs. Mark Johnson

delben91
06-05-2002, 09:33 PM
Ok, I'm just curious about what you all think. We always are all over Royce because of his immense rally-killing ability and also are constantly disgusted that JM continued, until recently, to play the Choice everyday because of his glove work. My question is, Mark Johnson, as of the 5th inning of tonight's game against KC, is hitting a robust .213 So, you may argue, he's a great defensive catcher, having him in there helps the pitchers, but couldn't the same be said for Royce? Now, of course, Mark is platooning with Sandy, and thus not playing everyday, so you could say that 1. he'd be hitting better with consistent ABs or 2. that he doesn't hurt the team as much by virtue of his platoon situation. Now, I'm a big fan of MJ, and I detest Royce's presence on the roster, and I really can't explain it, because when you look at it, they both get (or in Royce's case, got) the playing time they do almost soley for their defense. Now that I'm through rambling, what do you all think?

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Obviously the essential difference is MJ plays catcher. Our only options besides MJ are Sandy Alomar (bad) and Josh Paul (worse).

The catcher touches the ball with almost every pitch. Clearly the value of his defense outstrips any shortstop's.

FWIW, I miss CJ.

MJ just tossed out Perez on a steal attempt. Dollars to donuts says Alomar doesn't make that play.

That's why I don't get too upset with MJ.

WinningUgly!
06-05-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by delben91
Ok, I'm just curious about what you all think. We always are all over Royce because of his immense rally-killing ability and also are constantly disgusted that JM continued, until recently, to play the Choice everyday because of his glove work. My question is, Mark Johnson, as of the 5th inning of tonight's game against KC, is hitting a robust .213 So, you may argue, he's a great defensive catcher, having him in there helps the pitchers, but couldn't the same be said for Royce? Now, of course, Mark is platooning with Sandy, and thus not playing everyday, so you could say that 1. he'd be hitting better with consistent ABs or 2. that he doesn't hurt the team as much by virtue of his platoon situation. Now, I'm a big fan of MJ, and I detest Royce's presence on the roster, and I really can't explain it, because when you look at it, they both get (or in Royce's case, got) the playing time they do almost soley for their defense. Now that I'm through rambling, what do you all think?

The biggest difference to me is obvious...$320K vs. 4.5 Mil.

delben91
06-05-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

MJ just tossed out Perez on a steal attempt. Dollars to donuts says Alomar doesn't make that play.

That's why I don't get too upset with MJ.

And he comes through with an RBI single.

:MJ
"You compared me to that ***?!?!?!"

My bad MJ, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to compare you to Royce, but if it brings out hits, I'll start comparing everyone to the Choice.

Randar68
06-05-2002, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by delben91

And he comes through with an RBI single.

:MJ
"You compared me to that ***?!?!?!"

My bad MJ, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to compare you to Royce, but if it brings out hits, I'll start comparing everyone to the Choice.

Hell, 2 days ago I made fun of Jason Dellaero for not even being able to hit AA pitching. Sure enough, next night, hoit goes 3-5 with 2 HR's...

Clockwork I tell ya

Jerry_Manuel
06-05-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Hell, 2 days ago I made fun of Jason Dellaero for not even being able to hit AA pitching. Sure enough, next night, hoit goes 3-5 with 2 HR's...

Clockwork I tell ya

That's the worst thing that could happen. Is he still bitching about wanting to be a SS? There is a hell of a lot more money in pitching, than being a no hit SS.

Randar68
06-05-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerry_Manuel

That's the worst thing that could happen. Is he still bitching about wanting to be a SS? There is a hell of a lot more money in pitching, than being a no hit SS.

Depends on who you ask...

:hitless

" you called????"

Seriously though. I don't know if he ever really was bitching, but it was clear it was a move he didn't want to make. He should step back and take a good long look in the mirror and swallow his pride. If he wants to play in the majors, at this point, it will only be as a pitcher...

Jerry_Manuel
06-05-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
Seriously though. I don't know if he ever really was bitching, but it was clear it was a move he didn't want to make. He should step back and take a good long look in the mirror and swallow his pride. If he wants to play in the majors, at this point, it will only be as a pitcher...

I agree. He needs to come to grips with the fact that he's not a good hitter at all.

Tragg
06-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Johnson is a catcher.
Johnson makes 350K v. 4.5 mill.
Johnson has a better career and current obp than clayton.

doublem23
06-05-2002, 11:39 PM
That, and the Sox have someone in the system who could replace Clayton, but who can take Mark's shoes inside the organization?

:versatile
I'll be back, baby!

CubKilla
06-05-2002, 11:53 PM
The big difference between Choice and MJ, salary not withstanding, is options. With MJ, your only other option is Alomar or, if he's injured, Paul. But as far as the SS goes, Graffy can play the postion and Valentin was playing out of position just so Choice could whiff. Not to mention "Minor-Leaguer 4 Life" Joe Crede is assigned to the minors because with Choice at SS, Valentin plays 3rd, and..... well..... take it from there.

baggio202
06-06-2002, 01:49 AM
mark johnson has an OBP of .300 compared to 240 something for clayton...mark johnson is also the best bunter on the team...mark johnson also handles the bat well enough to do stuff like hit and run and hit a ground ball to 2nd base when you have a runner on 2nd and no one out...

royce clayton vrs. mark johnson??..no contest..its mark johnson ..buh bye royce...

Daver
06-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by baggio202
mark johnson has an OBP of .300 compared to 240 something for clayton...mark johnson is also the best bunter on the team...mark johnson also handles the bat well enough to do stuff like hit and run and hit a ground ball to 2nd base when you have a runner on 2nd and no one out...

royce clayton vrs. mark johnson??..no contest..its mark johnson ..buh bye royce...

You forgot to mention that Mark will take a walk....