PDA

View Full Version : 18 Years Ago Tonight

Brian26
07-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Robin Ventura took Goose Gossage deep into the rightfield bleachers to beat Texas with a grand slam in the bottom of the 9th inning.

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/1991/B07310CHA1991.htm

WHITE SOX 9TH: GREBECK BATTED FOR JOHNSON; Grebeck walked;
Karkovice singled [Grebeck to second]; On a bunt Cora forced
Grebeck (pitcher to third) [Karkovice to second, Cora to first];
FISK BATTED FOR GUILLEN; GOSSAGE REPLACED ROGERS (PITCHING);
Fisk popped to second; Raines walked [Karkovice to third, Cora
to second]; Ventura homered [Karkovice scored, Cora scored,
Raines scored]; 4 R, 2 H, 0 E, 0 LOB. Rangers 8, White Sox 10.

asindc
07-31-2009, 10:06 PM
That was one of the most exciting regular season games I have ever seen. Comiskey Park went bonkers after Ventura hit that HR. Best part for me: I called it right before the pitch!

tony1972
07-31-2009, 10:11 PM
That was one of the most exciting regular season games I have ever seen. Comiskey Park went bonkers after Ventura hit that HR. Best part for me: I called it right before the pitch!

Wow! Time flies..I wasn't there but remember watching it on TV..

I can't believe that was half of my life ago already...:whiner:

VeeckAsInWreck
07-31-2009, 10:12 PM
I didn't have cable but I listened to that one on the radio. What a night.

BleacherBandit
07-31-2009, 10:12 PM
A video of this used to be on youtube. Damn MLB.

As I recall, the Hawekeroo was pretty excited.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
A video of this used to be on youtube. Damn MLB.

As I recall, the Hawekeroo was pretty excited.

Yeah it's been removed. But here's a still from that night.

gaelhound
07-31-2009, 10:35 PM
I shared Tickets with a friend of mine whose favorite player was Robin Ventura. He took a date to the game and was so exccited that he left the game in the eighth inning. The next day I called to talk about what a great game he got to see. He admitted he missed the 9th and the game winner. He also admitted that evven with his subsequent amourous exertions, he would have rather seen the homer. :D:

Warriorjan
07-31-2009, 10:44 PM
I was there. Remember sitting there in shock, although I had actually joked to the friend with me that we needed enough baserunners for a grand slam to win the game. Place went nuts.

34rancher
07-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Gotta love Robin and Frank's lines in the line-up.
Robin 4/6
Frank 2/2 with 3 BB.
I loved watching those two in their prime. Makes me glad to know that those two would absolutely stun me if PED's were ever tied to either one.

Woofer
07-31-2009, 10:50 PM
I remember being at the bar with my friends. I can't believe that much time has gone by. Sigh, I was just 21 at the time.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2009, 10:57 PM
Was driving home after doing the sports at KNOE-TV... had it on the radio. Had to pull over to the side of the road I was screaming so loud and pounding the steering wheel.

Lip

Konerko05
07-31-2009, 11:32 PM
My friend I went to last nights game with was just telling me Ventura's game winning slam was the first baseball game he ever attended. I guess that explains him being a Sox fan in a family of Cubs fans.

Hitmen77
08-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I remember that game fondly. Hawk went nuts when Robin hit the grand slam.
That ended a month where Ventura was named AL Player of the Month. The Sox really looked like a playoff-bound team at that point in '91.

Man, I can't believe it's been 18 years already! For years, this was my most favorite post '83 Sox memory. I'm glad that, since 2005, there have been many exciting Sox moments to eclipse that 7/31/91 game. But that game will always be special to me.

Hitmen77
08-01-2009, 12:10 AM
....oh and while where celebrating White Sox anniversaries, it was 5 years ago today that the Sox traded Esteban Loaiza for Jose Contreras.

Do you think the Sox got the better end of that trade? :cool:

Nellie_Fox
08-01-2009, 12:26 AM
I was at that game. That was my birthday game, two days after the actual birthday. The crowd was insane afterward.

Zisk77
08-01-2009, 12:30 AM
I was living in Atlanta and parents didn't have cable. The atlanta jounal constitution had a free service called score phone that updated the games and I wore it out calling like every 5 minutes. It would always say the team that was winning first. I called and it said rangers 8 sox 6 9th inning two outs bases loaded. I called back 5 minutes later and it said sox (I knew we one) 10 rangers 8 Final...omg someone hit a grand slam! Then they actually showed the highlight on the local news!

DumpJerry
08-01-2009, 12:40 AM
I was there. One of the people I was with was a huge Cub fan. She sat in her seat, green with envy. The crowd went nuts like never before or until Pods hit one out in Game II.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 12:54 AM
Those were some of my youngest moments as a Sox fan.

My favorite Ventura moment, though, was his hitting grand slams in back-to-back innings against...TEXAS! That was in '94 or '95, I think. I was listening to that one on the radio, as my parents got rid of the cable in '91. There was just something about Ventura and hitting salamis against the Rangers.

JB98
08-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Whenever I think of Robin's career with the Sox, that grand slam is the moment that comes to mind immediately. I was 15 at the time. I was watching the game in my bedroom on a little 13-inch TV.

Whitesox029
08-01-2009, 01:32 AM
With Robin as my all-time favorite Sox, this is one of my favorite regular season games, even though I was only 4 years old. My dad has it on a VHS tape somewhere, I think.

samurai_sox
08-01-2009, 02:21 AM
I have the video of it saved on my computer! Even though I was 5 years old at the time and not into baseball yet, its a moment every Sox fan should celebrate!

pudge
08-01-2009, 02:59 AM
If I recall, Frank carried Robin off on his shoulder... and that game was actually how I learned about Jay Mariotti, because he wrote a glowing, very well-written piece that my friend cut out of the paper and snail-mailed to me. How sad to think where Mariotti went from there... and kinda sad that crew never got a chance to win it all. But that was such an amazing moment.

lpneck
08-01-2009, 06:37 AM
I was 16 years old and at this game- at the time it was by far the best night of my life.

My grandmother had died recently and my family took my grandfather to the game to help cheer him up. We sat in the upper deck box seats right behind home plate.

Brought a girl from high school and kissed her on the 3rd base line walkway facing downtown sometime around the 5th or 6th inning.

Tim Raines had a great at-bat to draw a walk in the bottom of the 9th, and Ventura's grand slam was the most exciting thing I have ever seen live. (More exciting than game 163 last year... although that was the most intense game I ever attended... I didn't make it to any of the 2005 postseason games.)

As everyone has said- the place went crazy. I had never seen my grandfather that excited.

A week later Wilson Alvarez no-hit the Orioles to get the Sox 20 games over .500 and one game behind the Twins and I was sure they were a team of destiny... they had soooooo many come-from-behind wins that year.

Then they lost 15 of their next 17...

DumpJerry
08-01-2009, 08:36 AM
If I recall, Frank carried Robin off on his shoulder...
Your recollection is correct. It gets refreshed in our minds at every home game because it is part of the video montage.

Like Willie Mays when Bobby Thompson hit his home run, Big Frank was on deck when it happened. That made it all the more electric in the park because Robin had a 2-0 count and we were going nuts because "there's no place to put him!" and Frank would step up with a one run deficit if Robin walked.....

Brian26
08-01-2009, 09:38 AM
If I recall, Frank carried Robin off on his shoulder...

It was my all-time favorite White Sox moment before the 2005 season happened. I'm pretty sure, as Frank held Robin over his shoulder, that's the first time Hawk ever used "Big Hurt" on a broadcast. He may have used it earlier in the game, but as they SportsChannel feed went off the air, Hawk said, "Do it, Big Hurt!" as they showed the replay again. I still have the last inning on tape somwhere.

Tragg
08-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Was driving home after doing the sports at KNOE-TV... had it on the radio. Had to pull over to the side of the road I was screaming so loud and pounding the steering wheel.

Lip
Monroe?
You were in Monroe, Lip?

Brian26
08-01-2009, 09:46 AM
Tim Raines had a great at-bat to draw a walk in the bottom of the 9th,

That Raines at-bat was stellar. He was down early in the count and battled back, fought off a bunch of pitches and finally drew a walk.

OldRomanPizza
08-01-2009, 01:29 PM
I had just turned 9 and was listening to the game on the radio in a friend's cottage in Michigan. The radio was in the kitchen on a counter and I had to sit on the counter to be close enough to be able to hear it at a low volume, as I didn't want to wake anyone who had already gone to bed (which was everyone.)

I was so excited to wake up and tell my dad that they had won on a Ventura grand slam. I still remember Rooney's call to this day..."GRAND SLAM VENTURA!"

It is amazing how we always seem to not only remember all the details surrounding how we watched/listened to these games, but how no matter where anyone was, they managed to follow it.

LITTLE NELL
08-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Jumped off the sofa and almost hit my head on the ceiling.
Will never forget Big Hurt carrying Robin off on his shoulder.
After Nellie Fox, Robin is number 2 on my list of Sox favorites.

Railsplitter
08-01-2009, 06:47 PM
From my vantage point (Mid-row upper deck, 3rd base side) that looked like it would fall into the gap, but that ball simply refused to sink! :D:

Viva Medias B's
08-01-2009, 10:20 PM
To put the time frame in perspective, after the grand slam a brief shot of a little baby sitting on his father's shoulders with his little Sox cap on was shown by Jim Angio's crew. Today, that baby is probably a freshman or sophomore in college.

RedPinStripes
08-01-2009, 11:17 PM
I remember that game. Wasn't that the year he went on a tear in July and hit 34 homers for the season?

Britt Burns
08-01-2009, 11:23 PM
That was a great game, and even though they finished out of contention, I always have felt that night heralded the arrival of the 'new wave' of Sox as legit contenders.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Britt:

They actually were in the thick of contention until two things happened:

1. Ron Schueler again refused to trade any of his "can't miss kids" (who'd never pan out) for proven major league talent. (Which happened again in 1996)

2. The Sox fell apart after Wilson Alvarez's no hitter. The next night Donn Pall blew a late lead, lost the game and the Sox went into a death spiral losing 16 of 19.

Lip

RedPinStripes
08-02-2009, 01:52 AM
Britt:

They actually were in the thick of contention until two things happened:

1. Ron Schueler again refused to trade any of his "can't miss kids" (who'd never pan out) for proven major league talent. (Which happened again in 1996)

2. The Sox fell apart after Wilson Alvarez's no hitter. The next night Donn Pall blew a late lead, lost the game and the Sox went into a death spiral losing 16 of 19.

Lip

Don Pall. Really nice guy, local guy. Good year in 1990 and made me nervous as hell every time he pitched.

SOXSINCE'70
08-02-2009, 10:01 AM
Britt:
The Sox fell apart after Wilson Alvarez's no hitter. The next night Donn Pall blew a late lead, lost the game and the Sox went into a death spiral losing 16 of 19.

Lip

This all coincided with the death of my grandmother.:(:
A very sad,sad time.

Railsplitter
08-02-2009, 10:48 AM
That was a great game, and even though they finished out of contention, I always have felt that night heralded the arrival of the 'new wave' of Sox as legit contenders.

I remeber on they out telling my brother "I think this is the year the Sox win it all." Then August set in... Getting swept in a make-up double header in Detroit started a tailspin.