PDA

View Full Version : Peavy to the Sox - Part 2

Jjav829
07-31-2009, 07:10 PM
Continued from here. (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114200)

VeeckAsInWreck
07-31-2009, 07:18 PM
I had mixed emotions at first about this deal. But as I've had time to think about it. I like it.

Thank you to Kenny and his staff for being persistent.

thedudeabides
07-31-2009, 07:21 PM
I've never seen a move so universally loved here. Makes me a little nervous.

Welcome back to harmony WSI. :D:

This really looks to be a great move. San Diego gets a bunch of arms, none that I think are detrimental to the Sox, right now, but have a lot of potential.

The Sox get a top of the rotation starter. You have to love it.

I've read in various places that Peavy will slide in the AL, once he leaves Petco, but I disagree. Anybody with his stuff, that can strike out as many batters as he does, can succeed anywhere. He has filthy stuff and is only 28.

:gulp:To Kenny Williams.

A. Cavatica
07-31-2009, 07:21 PM
I love this deal.

Richard = will probably be a .500 pitcher in a big NL park
Poreda = can-miss prospect
Russell = dime a dozen
Carter = high ceiling, but also 23 and in single-A

Peavy = 50 wins over the rest of his contract?

Kenny did an excellent job of trading quantity for quality. All the guys I really wanted to hang onto are still White Sox.

TDog
07-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Oh, well I was talking about his 2005 season. I had heard he wanted to go to the Cubs dearly but due to injury, and having DLee, it wasn't in the works. I really did hear league minimum at that point. Pretty sure Thome is a diehard Cubs fan... hopefully converted in the past few seasons.

Playing for the league minimum would have been a moot point, Thome having signed a big-money multiyear deal with the Phillies after he rejected the Cubs offer to him as a free agent.

As I wrote, you hear a lot of things. Many of them aren't true.

I am going to miss Clayton Richard, beginning tonight. I thought he could have developed into a solid starter, and I think he will do well in San Diego. One aspect to consider about this season, though, is that the baseball season tends to wear down a lot of pitchers. If Peavy comes back at full strength in August and doesn't have an issue with being rusty, he won't have to deal with the typical wear a frontline starting pitcher faces.

Harry Potter
07-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Now lets get Dye in the fold

soxfanreggie
07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
This was great news before my workout, and after spending the entire workout thinking about it, I am still very excited. Having two ace-calibre pitchers will give us something few teams have. If we can get good production out of Danks and Floyd, we will be a force to be reckoned with on the pitching end.

VeeckAsInWreck
07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Here's (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5836519&c_id=mlb) KW on MLB Network.

Seriously, what a surprise deal. I saw Peavy pitch at Petco two years ago. I never would have believed you if you told me he'd be a White Sox player.

Red Barchetta
07-31-2009, 07:44 PM
I watched him pitch against the Cubs in SD after he declined the first deal. He has lights out stuff. Pitching Peavy and Buehrle back-to-back in the rotation will really keep the opposing hitters on their heals. Two entirely different pitchers with entirely different approaches. I like it!

Sargeant79
07-31-2009, 07:46 PM
I love this deal.

Richard = will probably be a .500 pitcher in a big NL park
Poreda = can-miss prospect
Russell = dime a dozen
Carter = high ceiling, but also 23 and in single-A

Peavy = 50 wins over the rest of his contract?

Kenny did an excellent job of trading quantity for quality. All the guys I really wanted to hang onto are still White Sox.

100% right on the money. I couldn't agree with this more. The Sox traded away a bunch of guys who the Padres hope that one of them might eventually turn out to be close to as good as Jake Peavy. I don't understand how any White Sox fan in the world is not ecstatic about this trade for this year and the next three.

The Immigrant
07-31-2009, 07:46 PM
I love this trade. We landed a Cy Young winner without giving up any part of our young core, and he's under our control through 2013. Love it.

Kenny the thief!

BleacherBandit
07-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Does this mean that the Sox will be drafting pitching primarily as a focus? They're Ok for the next 3-4 years, but they've just cleaned out their stock of pitchers, except for Marquez.

The Immigrant
07-31-2009, 07:50 PM
Does this mean that the Sox will be drafting pitching primarily as a focus? They're Ok for the next 3-4 years, but they've just cleaned out their stock of pitchers, except for Marquez.

Hudson is still in our system. He was our best pitching prospect before this trade.

A. Cavatica
07-31-2009, 07:54 PM

Marquez = nickel a dozen

BleacherBandit
07-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Marquez = nickel a dozen

Sorry, what the hell does that mean?

balke
07-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Man, I can't wait til he goes through his first stretch of multiple double digit strikeout games, and EVERYONE has his jersey.

I'm seriously pumped about this deal. WELCOME TO CHICAGO!

mcfish
07-31-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm no expert, but I'm guessing he means to say that Marquez is rather ordinary and not extremely talented; in fact potentially as much as half as talented as a normal "dime a dozen" player.

* I know nothing about Jeff Marquez - I am not calling him ordinary, just trying to help define "nickel a dozen."

California Sox
07-31-2009, 08:27 PM

Marquez?! Sorry, but I don't want that guy anywhere near the Cell.

Hudson is still a good prospect. And I think Ely and Torres could both pitch in the majors. They might not have overwhelming stuff, but both those guys can compete. Otherwise, yeah, the cupboard is pretty bare.

Listened to Dex Carter on the Kanny broadcast tonight. Sounds like a real good kid. Class act.

Thatguyoverthere
07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
Love this deal! :bandance: I don't understand how it hurts us too much short-term either, all we're giving up on the current team is our #5 starter. :scratch: It's not like Richard was lights out either, a couple weeks ago everyone here was penciling his starts as an automatic loss, now our season is doomed without him? Peavy's also here for the next THREE years. Wow.

RedPinStripes
07-31-2009, 09:28 PM
I''m not being a "nay sayer" here. I like the trade, but I don't think it's for this year. When KW says "We want to win the world series", I'm sure he does , but he's got to know this roster with Peavy just wont do it. The only thing that irritates me about this is the White Sox refuse to admit they are in re-building mode. I expect KW to make good moves over the winter while taking advantage of getting sandwich picks for Dye and Thome.

Good move by KW for next year. I trust he will put together a much smarter roter with improved rookies.

doublem23
07-31-2009, 09:48 PM
I''m not being a "nay sayer" here. I like the trade, but I don't think it's for this year. When KW says "We want to win the world series", I'm sure he does , but he's got to know this roster with Peavy just wont do it. The only thing that irritates me about this is the White Sox refuse to admit they are in re-building mode. I expect KW to make good moves over the winter while taking advantage of getting sandwich picks for Dye and Thome.

Good move by KW for next year. I trust he will put together a much smarter roter with improved rookies.

Bingo. Remember 2 of the biggest guys on our World Series roster for 2005 were acquired mid-season 2004.

Peavy may help this team get to the postseason in 2009, but the rest of the league should be put on notice about what the 2010 White Sox can do.

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

Demps2
07-31-2009, 10:02 PM
Bingo. Remember 2 of the biggest guys on our World Series roster for 2005 were acquired mid-season 2004.

Peavy may help this team get to the postseason in 2009, but the rest of the league should be put on notice about what the 2010 White Sox can do.

:bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance::bandance:

you guys are right. whether Peavy pitches this year or not, this rotation is STACKED next year. Even w/ Peavy, I doubt this team wins it all. With how streaky the Sox are, they may miss the playoffs all together. I think this move is for 2010 and beyond, not so much 2009. I don't know if you guys remember the quote from KW about a "lateral move". this is it. I just don't want people here to get too hyped about this. there is NO guarentee he even pitches again in 2009 (SD gen. manager said it's 50/50 if he comes back).

Britt Burns
07-31-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't ming losing Richard or even Poreda, but I think the pitcher Carter becomes will determine who 'wins' this trade. Regardless, I love how we have 4 quality vet starters locked up for years to come, with a great prospect in Dan Hudson knocking on the door. That could be a dominating group.

tony1972
07-31-2009, 10:14 PM
I give Kenny credit...he's not afraid to take a chance..

Sometimes it works and and sometimes it doesn't...but it's better than the Ron Schueler 'the kids can play' era...frightened to ever roll the dice and go for it..

I admit Williams has guts....I give him that...:smile:

jabrch
07-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Marquez = nickel a dozen

and you likely could get change.

jabrch
07-31-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't ming losing Richard or even Poreda, but I think the pitcher Carter becomes will determine who 'wins' this trade. Regardless, I love how we have 4 quality vet starters locked up for years to come, with a great prospect in Dan Hudson knocking on the door. That could be a dominating group.

If this deal is decided on a 23 year old in Single A, then we have already won... Poreda and Richard could be good. Peavy is great.

guillensdisciple
07-31-2009, 10:20 PM

Dan Hudson looks dominating. I think he will be top 3 in our prospects list by the end of the year. A rotation including him might lead to years of success for the White Sox!

rdivaldi
07-31-2009, 10:32 PM
It's not too often you trade 4 guys who can throw 95 or harder, but to get a Cy Young winner you do it. I actually like all 4 of the prospects in the trade, each could be productive major leaguers.

But our #1 pitching prospect is still in the system, Dan Hudson. He's just filthy right now, making the Southern League look bad. Bottom line, I expect both teams to benefit from this one.

07-31-2009, 10:37 PM

It means instead of a DIME a dozen, players of his caliber are only HALF of that or a NICKLE.

It means he sucks.

doublem23
07-31-2009, 10:38 PM

The fact that Carter hasn't advanced as quickly through the Sox's system is probably an indication of what they think of him. Maybe under the right coaching and in the right atmosphere Carter could develop into a good, reliable starter but it probably wouldn't have happened here. Regardless, as jabrch correctly pointed out, if the keystone of a trade for a 28-year-old less than 2 years off a Cy Young season is a 23-year-old in A-ball... You got to pull the trigger.

rdivaldi
07-31-2009, 10:40 PM
The fact that Carter hasn't advanced as quickly through the Sox's system is probably an indication of what they think of him.

You are correct, he lacks command of his offspeed offerings.

Thatguyoverthere
07-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Last time the Sox made a major splash at the trade deadline for a starting pitcher, he was a cornerstone of a World Series march. The difference now is that instead of Scott Schoenweis and Arnie Munoz, we have John Danks and Gavin Floyd! :cool:

WhiteSox1989
07-31-2009, 10:47 PM
Kenny is a competitor. This is why I love him.

The more I think about this trade, the more I love it.

sox68
07-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Cant wait to see if Peavy is ready in Sept and starts the make up game with the Cubs at Wrigley - that would be priceless!

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Last time the Sox made a major splash at the trade deadline for a starting pitcher, he was a cornerstone of a World Series march. The difference now is that instead of Scott Schoenweis and Arnie Munoz, we have John Danks and Gavin Floyd! :cool:

The Sox did it twice with both Garcia and Contreras.

I thought the Contreras was splashy too because of the ceiling potential.

GoGoCrede
08-01-2009, 12:15 AM
I couldn't find a bigger pic - but how awesome is this?

http://i597.photobucket.com/albums/tt60/letsgocrede/5019.jpg

BoysMom3
08-01-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm having a hard time thinking about calling it a night and trying to get some sleep. I'm so excited about this year and the next and the next few after that, the thoughts are swirling!

Brian26
08-01-2009, 12:20 AM
The Sox did it twice with both Garcia and Contreras.

I thought the Contreras was splashy too because of the ceiling potential.

The Sox picked up Garcia well before the deadline in 2004.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I really really don't feel like sifting through the whole last big thread about this, so I'm gonna ask this...When is Peavy expected to come off the DL?

Hitmen77
08-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Hmmm.....very very interesting. So, for this year, the Sox rotation a month from now (hopefully) looks outstanding. In the mean time, we have to hope we get by and stay in this race with even less options for our 5th starter.

If the Sox can't stay close to the top before Peavy comes back (remember, Detroit just got Washburn who is healthy now), then he returns and it's too late for him to help us in 2009.

But this trade also helps us big time for next year and beyond.

I like the trade, but I guess we'll have to see how it plays out this year with us having even less pitching options for the next 4 weeks and then getting a top notch pitcher who may be ready and in mid/late season form in September.

NDSox12
08-01-2009, 12:28 AM
I really really don't feel like sifting through the whole last big thread about this, so I'm gonna ask this...When is Peavy expected to come off the DL?

Still very much TBD, however it sounds like the goal is the last week of August or early September.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Still very much TBD, however it sounds like the goal is the last week of August or early September.
If that's the case, wouldn't it be an outstanding time to welcome him back to pitching by having him pitch in that make-up game against the Cubs? IIRC, he's always pitched well against them, and he's used to batting, so we wouldn't have to use a starter who has little experience hitting.

NDSox12
08-01-2009, 12:34 AM
If that's the case, wouldn't it be an outstanding time to welcome him back to pitching by having him pitch in that make-up game against the Cubs? IIRC, he's always pitched well against them, and he's used to batting, so we wouldn't have to use a starter who has little experience hitting.

I think that would be great idea. Although, if he is ready a little earlier than that, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start against the Red Sox or Yankees too.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 12:44 AM
I think that would be great idea. Although, if he is ready a little earlier than that, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a start against the Red Sox or Yankees too.
I wouldn't either; but, I'd hope Ozzie would do up the rotation such that Peavy is the pitcher starting against the Cubs. It's no use having one of our other starters get out of their routine by having to swing a bat when Peavy has a career .180 batting average, which is pretty respectable for a pitcher. He'd be so comfortable pitching in Wrigley...And, it would be another way to stick it to the Cubs fans in not getting their coveted pitcher. :wink:

SpiderJames
08-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Lets think about this, 5th starter has always been a problem for us. Hell even in 05 we had El Duque who did amazing in the first half, but then struggled, he ended up 9-9 with an ERA over 5. Colon and Clays record total was 7-9. Would have been 8-9 if Clayton started tonight no doubt. But 5th starter is something all teams worry about and have to deal with, Right now if we have to decide between Colon, who is healthy now and has been decent since, Torres, who looked phenomenal against the Rays, and Freddy, if hes ready, but hes tearing up his bullpen sessions.

To be honest, Poreda was the guy I was most looking forward to from the bunch, hes gonna be a great 1-2 starter, I know it, but getting Peavy in return, and having him signed for another 4 years. Ill take it :)

gobears1987
08-01-2009, 01:27 AM
Kenny really rained on the Tigers' parade with this one. They got Washburn and we completely one upped them.

One thing is for sure. The Sox aren't waving a white flag this deadline. Even if it doesn't pan out this year, I dare any team in baseball to send out a better rotation than what the Sox will have for the next several years.

KRS1
08-01-2009, 02:06 AM
It's no use having one of our other starters get out of their routine by having to swing a bat when Peavy has a career .180 batting average, which is pretty respectable for a pitcher.

Hell, according to our manager, it's respectable for a fourth OF. :redneck

Metalthrasher442
08-01-2009, 02:11 AM

That was pretty good. Haha.

Anyway I feel like this was Poreda for Peavy straight up, because he is the only one I wouldn't want to see go, and that's a pretty damn good trade. It just sucks knowing he can't pitch regularly with us yet =[

samurai_sox
08-01-2009, 02:16 AM
Yet people out there on the forums still say that we are the losers of the trade, go figure. :scratch::mad:

I can see they say that because Peavy's on the DL but come on, the 4 guys we gave up are not surefire studs.

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 02:34 AM
So, what you're saying is that Peavy should be Wise's replacement when he returns, and then we'll have a tandem of Colon and Garcia as our 5th starter (whomever is less bloated gets the start )? :redneck

chisoxfanatic
08-01-2009, 02:36 AM
Yet people out there on the forums still say that we are the losers of the trade, go figure. :scratch::mad:

I can see they say that because Peavy's on the DL but come on, the 4 guys we gave up are not surefire studs.
I understand people are quick to put the "winner" and "loser" tag on things, but I like to wait for a while to see the true fruits of a trade before throwing around those labels.

KRS1
08-01-2009, 02:38 AM
So, what you're saying is that Peavy should be Wise's replacement when he returns, and then we'll have a tandem of Colon and Garcia as our 5th starter (whomever is less bloated gets the start )? :redneck

Basically.

Question for everyone. You can still swap minor leaguers after the deadline as long as they are off the 40-man, correct?

CWSpalehoseCWS
08-01-2009, 02:43 AM
First post of the day/night on this one thanks to work and some late night partying, but I got to say that KW and the Sox really impressed me with going out and not only adding somebody that might help us now, but also setting up the next few years to help us win. I thought things were looking bad when the Tigers got Washburn and the Twins got OC, but this makes up for it. And the fact we kept Flowers and (Jordan) Danks is awesome. I hate to lose Poreda, but KW has a good track record of trading guys aways, even though I think at least 1 of Poreda/Carter will be pretty good in the near future. Great move IMO. I just hope that massive contract doesn't hurt us in the long run.

chaotic8512
08-01-2009, 05:00 AM
What an awesome day and awesome move, and once again, from out of nowhere! Kenny ≥ ninja. :bandance:

Losing two prized lefties in Richard and Poreda is certainly a steep price, but it's one you pay without a second thought when you're getting someone in the class of a Peavy. Having that front four of Buehrle/Peavy/Danks/Floyd for the next two years will be an absolute thrill to watch! (And Buehrle, I wouldn't retire just yet!)

It will be interesting to see how the last few weeks play out for the 2009 draft class... if we can sign the two lefties Bryan Morgado (whose stock has risen significantly) and Justin Jones, the pitching depth in the minors will still be existent. Granted, we might not need that much more depth there now... :cool:

What an exciting time to be a Sox fan!

hawkjt
08-01-2009, 07:09 AM
I went thru the schedule and based on Kenny's comment that the sox needed a 5th starter 3 times before they expect Jake to be ready..it flows like this..
5th starter spots...next saturday vs Tribe at soxpark and on 8/18 vs KC at Soxpark
Jake debut as a Sox?...at Boston Aug 25.
That would plot out to Jake getting 8 starts..vs
@Bos,@Yanks,Bos,Oak,@Sea,Twins,Det,@Det...

Big games, big pitcher,I hope.
He could be a difference maker down the stretch facing twins,and det twice in the last 12 games....please get well on schedule,Jake:D:

Lillian
08-01-2009, 07:16 AM
There may be some intangibles here. A move like this has to fire up a lot of the guys on this team. Oh, I understand that they are all pros and that they shouldn't need any additional motivation, but they are human. If you're a veteran like Dye, Thome or Konerko, and your team's management thought enough of your chances to make this kind of commitment, you have to be a little inspired. A move like this could be interpreted by players as management saying; "We think you guys can get to the post season, and we want to give you the best chance to win it all when you get there".

I would think that the prospect of being able to really compete in the post season would give the current roster the desire to play their hearts out. Perhaps they just don't have the ability to get it done, but there certainly shouldn't be any lack of motivation.

Then there is the issue of attracting free agents. Anyone whom the Sox might try to acquire in the offseason would have to be impressed with management's commitment to winning and the potential that this starting rotation affords. If you're Jermaine Dye, the idea of resigning for a chance at another W.S. ring would sond pretty appealing.

This deal certainly has lifted the spirits of the fans, and it can't hurt attendance. So when you factor in these intangibles, you have to love this move.

Whitesoxfan23
08-01-2009, 07:20 AM
there may be some intangibles here. A move like this has to fire up a lot of the guys on this team. Oh, i understand that they are all pros and that they shouldn't need any additional motivation, but they are human. If you're a veteran like dye, thome or konerko, and your team's management thought enough of your chances to make this kind of commitment, you have to be a little inspired. A move like this could be interpreted by players as management saying; "we think you guys can get to the post season, and we want to give you the best chance to win it all when you get there".

I would think that the prospect of being able to really compete in the post season would give the current roster the desire to play their hearts out. Perhaps they just don't have the ability to get it done, but there certainly shouldn't be any lack of motivation.

Then there is the issue of attracting free agents. Anyone whom the sox might try to acquire in the offseason would have to be impressed with management's commitment to winning and the potential that this starting rotation affords. If you're jermaine dye, the idea of resigning for a chance at another w.s. Ring would sond pretty appealing.

This deal certainly has lifted the spirits of the fans, and it can't hurt attendance. So when you factor in these intangibles, you have to love this move.

potw.

hawkjt
08-01-2009, 07:26 AM
There may be some intangibles here. A move like this has to fire up a lot of the guys on this team. Oh, I understand that they are all pros and that they shouldn't need any additional motivation, but they are human. If you're a veteran like Dye, Thome or Konerko, and your team's management thought enough of your chances to make this kind of commitment, you have to be a little inspired. A move like this could be interpreted by players as management saying; "We think you guys can get to the post season, and we want to give you the best chance to win it all when you get there".

Then there is the issue of attracting free agents. Anyone whom the Sox might try to acquire in the offseason would have to be impressed with management's commitment to winning and the potential that this starting rotation affords. If you're Jermaine Dye, the idea of resigning for a chance at another W.S. ring would sond pretty appealing.

It should be like a shot of electricity thru the team and fan base if Jake is on track to get back on the schedule I indicated.
Jake's home debut on 9/4 vs Bos?...I think they sell some tickets to that game...his next start would be on 9/9 at home vs Oak...wed game..still sell tickets,I bet. Then later in the month home starts on Monday 9/21 vs Twins? off the charts,finally the 9/27 home sunday game vs Det? oh yea..get your tickets now!!
4 home starts vs Bos,Oak,Twins and Tigers....fannies in the seats for those games.

Jurr
08-01-2009, 08:15 AM
I have a question pertaining to the nature of the trade. Typically you hear that players must pass a physical prior to the deal (can'thelp but think of Shouldergate)....if the team knows they're getting a DL guy, does that somehow change the rules?

ChiSox89
08-01-2009, 08:42 AM
I love this trade. Kenny is the man. Hopefully Peavy can get healthy quickly and start winning games on the south side.

voodoochile
08-01-2009, 08:55 AM

I COMPLETELY agree. People forget about things like motivation and the human element all the time, but these guys aren't robots. They respond to the same psychological elements that work on every human being.

Look at the Cardinals after acquiring Holliday. They went out and smacked the Dodgers around pretty easily.

All of a sudden the Sox are once again one of the most impressive teams on paper in the majors. Remember, they didn't just add Peavy to the mix. They just added an MVP bat to the mix and he's showing signs of finding his stroke. I think Kotsay is gonna be a nice bench pickup too - though he's having awful luck so far.

The Sox sent a major message yesterday - we're here and we're here to stay. We're going to be big players on the national scene for years to come and I'm sure the team is going to respond to it, heck, they appear to have already.

voodoochile
08-01-2009, 08:59 AM
I have a question pertaining to the nature of the trade. Typically you hear that players must pass a physical prior to the deal (can'thelp but think of Shouldergate)....if the team knows they're getting a DL guy, does that somehow change the rules?

You have to request a physical I believe. That's where Ash screwed up in the shouldergate thing. If it's not part of the deal, then it's not automatic.

I have no idea how KW managed to get Peavy through a physical in the time he had. He may have relied on faxed reports from the Padres which he ran by the team physician and Herm.

ode to veeck
08-01-2009, 09:16 AM

Not until his ankle heals

thedudeabides
08-01-2009, 09:37 AM
It should be like a shot of electricity thru the team and fan base if Jake is on track to get back on the schedule I indicated.
Jake's home debut on 9/4 vs Bos?...I think they sell some tickets to that game...his next start would be on 9/9 at home vs Oak...wed game..still sell tickets,I bet. Then later in the month home starts on Monday 9/21 vs Twins? off the charts,finally the 9/27 home sunday game vs Det? oh yea..get your tickets now!!
4 home starts vs Bos,Oak,Twins and Tigers....fannies in the seats for those games.

Definitely, he's the type of pitcher, when gets rolling, that people will come out and see.

Sox fans generally love to see this type of commitment to winning. Even the biggest cynics can't cry cheap now.

And I know some have wondered where the money came from, but they only have to pay a pro-rated portion of his $8 million dollar salary this year(around $3 million). They can figure out the rest, in the offseason, when plenty of money is available to come off the books.

Edit: Peavy should also be coming in with a fresh arm.

WisSoxFan
08-01-2009, 09:50 AM

++1

I was thinking along those lines watching last night. Those that were at the game can correct me if I'm wrong - I may have just been transferring my excitment to the fans at the game - but it sure seemed like the crowd was a little more electric than normal. What a fun day! I know I'll never get the Sox game in Wisconsin today, but I'll curious as to what the "experts" have to say about Williams' move. Biggest balls in the game. :bandance:

voodoochile
08-01-2009, 10:00 AM
Definitely, he's the type of pitcher, when gets rolling, that people will come out and see.

Sox fans generally love to see this type of commitment to winning. Even the biggest cynics can't cry cheap now.

And I know some have wondered where the money came from, but they only have to pay a pro-rated portion of his $8 million dollar salary this year(around $3 million). They can figure out the rest, in the offseason, when plenty of money is available to come off the books.

Edit: Peavy should also be coming in with a fresh arm.

Cash wise, Peavy + Pena = Contreras + Dotel

JNS
08-01-2009, 10:35 AM
You have to request a physical I believe. That's where Ash screwed up in the shouldergate thing. If it's not part of the deal, then it's not automatic.

I have no idea how KW managed to get Peavy through a physical in the time he had. He may have relied on faxed reports from the Padres which he ran by the team physician and Herm.

Assuming that he can return to his 2007 form or something close, this gives the Sox their best staff since the Peters/Pizarro/Horlen combo of the mid-60s. This is not an over-the-hill Seaver or Lefty Carlton. It's a guy in his prime at 28. Hopefully he'll be able to help this year - I know KW thinks he can - but even if he can't it was worth it.

If he gets shut down for the duration of 2009 our chances are really no worse than they were before the deal; how much have the Sox actually given up in terms of guys who can help now? Really, the only one is Richard. Porada has a heck of a fastball, but as has been pointed out here many times, he's still pretty much a one-pitch pitcher without much, other than a big fastball. Russell? Whatever. Carter? A 23-year-old in A ball seems odd - if he has such a big up-side, why is he still down in A ball?

No question the Sox got a few good starts out of Richard, and some effective relief too - he'll be a decent starter. But Peavy as everyone here knows is a front of the rotation guy, making the known 4 Sox starters for 2010 pretty damn good. SO I'm not sure where all the breast beating and hair pulling is coming from (not on this list, but in the MSM and some blogs such as Jack McDowell's). The Sox didn't give up the farm for Jake, and still have a couple of guys who can fill in, like this Torres kid who has already made a decent start.

NEWS FLASH! Jon Garland has just been placed on waivers by the D-Backs. He might, with a bit of remedial instruction from Professor Cooper be a nice fill-in or even a OK #5 next season (with the departure of Contreras and/or the continued breakdown of Big-Game Freddie).

So IMO the team's chances for 2009 aren't hurt, and if Peavy does pitch are helped tremendously, and for 2010? Huge.

I've had my issues with KW over the last few years - mainly in the wake of 2007 - but I've turned that corner - he IS the best GM in town. And with Angelo getting Cutler, that's become a surprisingly high bar.

Domeshot17
08-01-2009, 10:43 AM
I am thrilled, But another huge bonus here that may have been said:

If we can hold tough for a month, keep it 2-3 games or make up ground. We are getting Peavy with a Fresh Arm. That could be HUGE if we make it into october, and instead of guys tiring, Peavy essentially will just be hitting stride.

thedudeabides
08-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Cash wise, Peavy + Pena = Contreras + Dotel

Very good point Voodoo.

I'm also excited that Peavy now gets to work with Don Cooper, and the White Sox training staff. They have a very good habit of getting the best out of pitchers and keeping them healthy.

HomeFish
08-01-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't think Peavy needs Coop to fix him...

NDSox12
08-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I am thrilled, But another huge bonus here that may have been said:

If we can hold tough for a month, keep it 2-3 games or make up ground. We are getting Peavy with a Fresh Arm. That could be HUGE if we make it into october, and instead of guys tiring, Peavy essentially will just be hitting stride.

Yes. It's not like he's coming back from an arm or shoulder injury, so he should be very fresh assuming the ankle is healed.

A. Cavatica
08-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Where's the Adam Russell appreciation thread?

gobears1987
08-01-2009, 11:59 AM
I think we can almost guarantee that we will put any team down 2-0 in a postseason series with a 1-2 punch of Buehrle and Peavy. Floyd and Danks give you a shot of a sweep, and if they don't you go right back with Buehrle and Peavy.

balke
08-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I think we can almost guarantee that we will put any team down 2-0 in a postseason series with a 1-2 punch of Buehrle and Peavy. Floyd and Danks give you a shot of a sweep, and if they don't you go right back with Buehrle and Peavy.

I think you are guaranteed 2 out of your first 4 with this rotation. Even if a team sneaks by Peavy or Mark, the matchups now for Floyd and Danks are ridiculous. I put Danks right on par with Burnett at this point, and in my opinion this is a down year so far for him. Seriously, no team is going to outpitch the Sox in a series as far as starting pitching goes.

ChicagoG19
08-01-2009, 12:03 PM
++1

I was thinking along those lines watching last night. Those that were at the game can correct me if I'm wrong - I may have just been transferring my excitment to the fans at the game - but it sure seemed like the crowd was a little more electric than normal. What a fun day! I know I'll never get the Sox game in Wisconsin today, but I'll curious as to what the "experts" have to say about Williams' move. Biggest balls in the game. :bandance:

I am not sure if was the Peavy trade or because it was the Yankees, but the crowd was definitely more electric than usual.

WhiteSoxFTW
08-01-2009, 12:05 PM
Here's (http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=5836519&c_id=mlb) KW on MLB Network.

Seriously, what a surprise deal. I saw Peavy pitch at Petco two years ago. I never would have believed you if you told me he'd be a White Sox player.

Kenny said that this was a 12-month pursuit of Peavy. So...to the Sox fans that think Kenny didn't try to get a pitcher last year and just went after Griffey...

:tongue:

Shoeless
08-01-2009, 01:26 PM
What channel is the Peavy intro press conference on?