PDA

View Full Version : Official: Victor Martinez to Red Sox

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Per mlbtraderumors.com, which got it off of this twitter from USA Today reporter Bob Nightengale:

The Red Sox are about to acquire Victor Martinez from Indians

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 01:02 PM
http://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/3055091029

No word on the return yet.

thomas35forever
07-31-2009, 01:03 PM
It's gonna be a dogfight in the AL East. Does this mean Varitek becomes the backup?

chisox616
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Nah, he's gonna be their new first basemen with Youkilis moving over to third.

Get V-Mart OUT of the Central....hopefully this is for real.

hi im skot
07-31-2009, 01:09 PM
Can we get Sizemore, now?

russ99
07-31-2009, 01:10 PM
Per mlbtraderumors.com, which got it off of this twitter from USA Today reporter Bob Nightengale:

Shapiro better get more in return than with Lee or there may be a mob with torches and pitchforks.

Sad
07-31-2009, 01:13 PM
It's gonna be a dogfight in the AL East. Does this mean Varitek becomes the backup?

I think Martinez has been more of a 1B / DH these days with Shoppach catching more IIRC...

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't really want to see Buchholz in the central. I hope he isn't involved.

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
Shapiro better get more in return than with Lee or there may be a mob with torches and pitchforks.

You'd have to think one of Buchholz/Anderson/Masterson/Bowden is involved.

I actually don't think the haul they got back for Lee was all that bad; when you look at the exorbitant demands from JP, he probably skewed the fans' perception of the market to distorted levels.

esbrechtel
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
it will be nice to not have to face him in our division anymore :D:

chisox616
07-31-2009, 01:16 PM

Ooo...that's true. Boston's proven they wanted to move him time and time again. But last I checked they only wanted to move him with Halladay and Adrian Gonzalez, so maybe Martinez isn't good enough?

BleacherBandit
07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Good news.

LITTLE NELL
07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
How would you like to be an Indians fan right now?

GAsoxfan
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Buchholz is tough, but I'd rather face Buchholz 2-3 times a year than Martinez 18 times a year.

oeo
07-31-2009, 01:22 PM

Hard to believe they were outs away from the World Series just two years ago. Now there's nothing left of that team, what a mess.

Marqhead
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
Hard to believe they were outs away from the World Series just two years ago. Now there's nothing left of that team, what a mess.

Let's try and grab Sizemore while the wheels are falling off. :D:

soltrain21
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM

Well, they will probably be competitive again in 2011, so I wouldn't be too upset.

I'd rather be an Indians fan instead of a Jays fan. Have fun getting those two picks in the draft for Halladay, J.P.

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 01:32 PM
Buchholz and Bard not in the deal. I'm guessing Bowden is coming to Cleveland then.

Mr. White Sox
07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Again from mlbtraderumors via mlb.com's jonathan mayo:

Masterson and Nick Hagadone from the Red Sox side.

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Cleveland gets Nick Hagadone and Justin Masterson.

soxinem1
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM

Everyone under the sun is getting dumped in CLE, it sure seems like.

Shapiro sure has not delivered the goods as GM. It seems like he just 'retooled' the team.

SoxSpeed22
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Cleveland gets Nick Hagadone and Justin Masterson.Masterson still has time to be a great pitcher. Hagadone is a year removed from Tommy John surgery. This is too good a deal for Boston. They get one of the best bats available and they still get to keep Buchholz.
The teams at the top are really loading up. This should be a fun fight to the finish for them.

oeo
07-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Well, they will probably be competitive again in 2011, so I wouldn't be too upset.

Ha, kind of like they waited for five years to only make the postseason once? I would not be happy right now. The core they dealt was supposed to be the Indians of the 90's all over again. Those years of completely rebuilding were a waste.

I'd rather be an Indians fan instead of a Jays fan. Have fun getting those two picks in the draft for Halladay, J.P.

My guess is the price will become realistic over the offseason, and he will get dealt.

doublem23
07-31-2009, 01:44 PM
Cleveland gets Nick Hagadone and Justin Masterson.

I know Masterson's got some promise but wow, the Indians got hosed.

Boondock Saint
07-31-2009, 01:45 PM
I know Masterson's got some promise but wow, the Indians got hosed.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :bandance:

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 01:46 PM
I think it was a decent return for Cleveland.

thedudeabides
07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
I think it was a decent return for Cleveland.

I agree. There are some in Boston who like Masterson more than Buckholtz. Hagadone is a lefty with a monster arm, but is only a year removed from TJ surgery. He's a bit of a ways away to get to Cleveland.

I hope they both amount to nothing.

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Evidently Cleveland might be getting another prospect or two. Presumably lower level guys.

jabrch
07-31-2009, 01:56 PM

I'm not pointing a finger at you Sol...but if someone here were to say that fans shouldn't be upset because we will compete again in 2010, they'd get roasted to a pulp by the win now crowd, the KW is stupid crowd and the impatient crowd.

Cleveland put themselves in a bad spot. Had they not committed 3/30ish to Kerry Wood, they likely could have afforded to keep one Lee or Martinez. Now they are in complete rebuilding mode. While sometimes that is only a 2 year process, it can often be more slower...

If this were the Sox, WSI would be in full bitch-fest mode.

russ99
07-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Masterson still has time to be a great pitcher. Hagadone is a year removed from Tommy John surgery. This is too good a deal for Boston. They get one of the best bats available and they still get to keep Buchholz.
The teams at the top are really loading up. This should be a fun fight to the finish for them.

I know. Totally ludicrous. If I were Shapiro, I would have demanded Buchholz.

My question is how come Kenny seemingly can't do anything with some of our non-top prospects?

I guess everyone wants Beckham & Poreda from the Sox, but are willing take lesser players from other teams.

jabrch
07-31-2009, 02:11 PM
Can we get Sizemore, now?

No

captainclutch24
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
It is still not offical yet.

hi im skot
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
No

Figured the teal was implied...

Domeshot17
07-31-2009, 02:13 PM

My question is how come Kenny seemingly can't do anything with some of our non-top prospects?

I guess everyone wants Beckham & Poreda from the Sox, but are willing take lesser players from other teams.

We don't have a very deep farm. We have snuck to around 15th best in the league with some top heavy prospects, but the quality is all at the top with very little depth. No one wants a Mcculloch, Broadway went for Castro, its tough when you don't have a big pool of prospects to trade from. I think this is why so many people were upset over Allen for Pena

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM
Bryan Price is the third player going to Cleveland.

russ99
07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Buchholz is tough, but I'd rather face Buchholz 2-3 times a year than Martinez 18 times a year.

Yeah, but we have to face Martinez in Boston too. And the way things are shaking out, if we make the playoffs this year we'd have to face the AL East winner again, so we'd have to face him in the playoffs.

thedudeabides
07-31-2009, 02:21 PM

Except Masterson may be a higher ranked prospect than either Flowers or Poreda. He's not a secondary prospect by any means.

goon
07-31-2009, 03:05 PM
I don't know if it true, but on MLB network they said that tomorrow was Victor Martinez Bobble Head night at Cleveland... oops.

Maybe they could just change it to Kelly Shoppach Bobble head night, the figurine has a catcher's mask on anyway.

DaveFeelsRight
07-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I don't know if it true, but on MLB network they said that tomorrow was Victor Martinez Bobble Head night at Cleveland... oops.

Maybe they could just change it to Kelly Shoppach Bobble head night, the figurine has a catcher's mask on anyway.and put a sticker over martinez's name, of course.

MarySwiss
07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
I'm not pointing a finger at you Sol...but if someone here were to say that fans shouldn't be upset because we will compete again in 2010, they'd get roasted to a pulp by the win now crowd, the KW is stupid crowd and the impatient crowd.

Cleveland put themselves in a bad spot. Had they not committed 3/30ish to Kerry Wood, they likely could have afforded to keep one Lee or Martinez. Now they are in complete rebuilding mode. While sometimes that is only a 2 year process, it can often be more slower...

If this were the Sox, WSI would be in full bitch-fest mode.
Well, I am in full bitch-fest mode, but not because I give a damn about Cleveland.

Selfish little bitch that I am, I just wish they would have waited until AFTER they played Detroit to turn themselves into a AAA team. :angry: