1- ****

2- Kenny kind of has to make a trade now

3- I wonder what the Yankees do after this

sox230
07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
according to an mlbnetwork chat it's for luke french and mauricio robles

kevingrt
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Damn. This sucks. Why couldn't the Yankees get him?

2- Kenny kind of has to make a trade now

Who? What position? Where?

munchman33
07-31-2009, 11:43 AM
This only puts the Tigers in a better position to compete with us.

hi im skot
07-31-2009, 11:44 AM
This only puts the Tigers in a better position to compete with us.

:thumbsup:

Sockinchisox
07-31-2009, 11:47 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/9875596

chisox12
07-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Oh boy. Washburn has been nasty the past couple of months.

Zisk77
07-31-2009, 11:51 AM
Good I think French is going to be better. Washburn is ok, nothing special. reminds me of the miller for willis part of the trade from last year.:scratch:

ndgt10
07-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Washburn has been unhittable recently. Pretty good move for the Tigers.

cws05champ
07-31-2009, 11:54 AM
Don't know much about the two guys given up, but it doesn't seem like a lot to give up. French has pitched well when I have seen him, but I don't think he was a top prospect.

Chez
07-31-2009, 11:58 AM
I thought the Tigers needed a bat more than an arm. Washburn would have been a better fit for the Twins.

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Great acquisition by the Tigers. They really didn't give much up.

Iron Dragon2
07-31-2009, 12:10 PM
This one hurts.

BleacherBandit
07-31-2009, 12:14 PM
This one hurts.

You never know about acquiring pitching with only 2 months left of regular season play. How many starts is he gonna get? Who says they'll produce the runs necessary for him to win those games even if he does produce? Seems to me that the Tigers could have used more offense.

I'm not worrying much about this.

Sad
07-31-2009, 12:20 PM
huge pickup for Detroit... :(:

C'mon Kenny!!!

Madscout
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
You never know about acquiring pitching with only 2 months left of regular season play. How many starts is he gonna get? Who says they'll produce the runs necessary for him to win those games even if he does produce? Seems to me that the Tigers could have used more offense.

I'm not worrying much about this.

Yes, but there is also the old adage that you can never have enough pitching. This makes them so much deeper in that respect.

hawkjt
07-31-2009, 12:27 PM
Washburn has a 2.64 era....this has to help the tigers.
Now they have 3 quality starters in Verlander,Jackson,and Washburn, with Porcello as #4.

Not good news for the Sox...is he a FA after this year?

hi im skot
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Where's Oblong? I'm curious to hear his thoughts.

oeo
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Never have I seen so many whiner Sox fans after a trade. Suck it up, we'll be fine. We had a lot of tough luck on that last road trip, but we can turn it right back around with a good homestand.

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 12:30 PM
The back end of the Tigers rotation isn't very good. This is a very nice pickup. Rumor has it they are now trying to acquire a bat in Luke Scott.

Oblong
07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
I like the trade a lot. They gave up 2 decent guys but those are the kinds of guys any good organization should regularly churn out. And they won't really help you until next year or the year after. As I wrote elsewhere when you find yourself in first place in August and you have obvious holes, you use those guys to fill them.

The guys the Tigers traded weren't bums, but they were not top prospects either.

I think this means they are going to get a hitter as well. My belief is why bother unless you plan on going for it?

spongyfungy
07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
I can't believe the Tigers outbid the Yankees for Washburn. He's been absolutely awesome this season

hawkjt
07-31-2009, 12:50 PM
If the tigers pick up luke Scott as rumored...they clearly establish themselves as the team to beat in the AL Central...this sucks.

oeo
07-31-2009, 12:51 PM
If the tigers pick up luke Scott as rumored...they clearly establish themselves as the team to beat in the AL Central...this sucks.

They're going to have to overpay if they want him.

JB98
07-31-2009, 01:07 PM
I give up. I concede the division to the Tigers.

soxyess
07-31-2009, 01:11 PM
This gives them two frontline starters and two decent back end of the rotation pitchers. Their bullpen is a bit weak, but they can hit the ball pretty well. If they add a bat they will be hard to beat

oeo
07-31-2009, 01:17 PM
I give up. I concede the division to the Tigers.

The last time I remember people whining this much about the Tigers was when they got Miguel Cabrera. The World Series was theirs.

Look at it this way, at a 2.64 ERA, Washburn has to have a bad final two months to get back to his career norm.

goon
07-31-2009, 01:18 PM
Washburn has been unhittable recently.

I believe you're thinking of Mark Buehrle. :redneck

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM
It would be nice for KW to do something at this point. This team could use some improvement and the Tigers and the Twins just got better.

Sad
07-31-2009, 01:21 PM

yep
they definitely still need a DH and Scott would fill that role nicely...

munchman33
07-31-2009, 01:24 PM
Never have I seen so many whiner Sox fans after a trade. Suck it up, we'll be fine. We had a lot of tough luck on that last road trip, but we can turn it right back around with a good homestand.

Before this trade that was probably sound logic. But Detroit seems to be filling their holes, while we're not. That doesn't bode well for our chances of continued contention, which were largely based on the holes of our competition.

oeo
07-31-2009, 01:28 PM
Before this trade that was probably sound logic. But Detroit seems to be filling their holes, while we're not. That doesn't bode well for our chances of continued contention, which were largely based on the holes of our competition.

Our holes are also less defined. We shall see, but I still think we're going to be okay.

Chez
07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
I'm not ready to conceed the Central. Tigers haven't replaced the hole in their bullpen created by Zumaya's injury and the Twins haven't replaced Slowey's spot in their rotation (and who knows what's up with Liriano's arm). Now is not the time to go into panic buying mode -- as I'm sure KW knows.

kevingrt
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Our holes are also less defined. We shall see, but I still think we're going to be okay.

And the question is would it be worth giving up future solid players like Flowers, Danks, Vicideno, etc. to shore up one hole on a team that is probably not WS caliber but has a great shot at winning the Central?

But then again I should not say that because if our top three pitchers get hot and Matty, Pena, Dotel, and Jenks pitch like Cotts, Politte, and Jenks circa 2005 you never know.

LoveYourSuit
07-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Well the Tigers sure got better today. And they have a 4 game lead on us in the loss column.

If the Twins get OC, they too would have improved.

Man Kenny, please don't fall asleep at the wheel.

Every young player should be made available right now except for Beckham, Danks, & Floyd.

chisox616
07-31-2009, 01:51 PM
What a big slap in the face to M's fans, though. They're in a 4 team race for the wild card, POSSIBLY the division as well, and their GM goes and pulls a move like this? Those two guys aren't gonna help them this season. Washburn was huge for their success so far, and they just lost Bedard. They were out there winning the 2-1 games based solely on their incredible pitching, and now, they're done. They have no chance.

Pretty sad. Anyways, it's scary, but the day isn't over yet.

Metalthrasher442
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
I'm pissed because the two teams we're gunna be fighting against all season just improved quite a bit. We on the other hand have done jack.

Kenny better be on the phone as we speak to make at least something little happen.

PhillipsBubba
07-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Well the Tigers sure got better today. And they have a 4 game lead on us in the loss column.

Every young player should be made available right now except for Beckham, Danks, & Floyd.

By the Sox standing pat they have actually gotten worse.

Tigers and Twins look solid for the stretch run...

KW must feel his team can't compete ...even with a trade which may prove costly.

Wait til next year.:(:

thomas35forever
07-31-2009, 02:00 PM
ESPNEWS made the comment that only Buehrle has been more dominant as of late than Washburn, so this pickup is huge for Detroit. Mark Gonzales was also on there and said he doesn't expect any moves to be made on our part. All I can say is we better pick it up if we want to win this division.

oeo
07-31-2009, 02:04 PM

I hope Kenny doesn't make that mistake.

It seems like there's a lot of wanting to make a deal for the sake of making a deal. No one has anything specific that should be targeted, just do something, right?

There are only a few places where an upgrade would be nice, but at no place is it completely necessary to win the division. The Twins needed a middle infielder, they have gotten no production whatsoever out of any of them all year (they could also use a starting pitcher, or two). The Tigers could use a starting pitcher, and the extra depth that goes with it. We don't really have that position. Second base production has been okay, Pods has been great for us, and our rotation, as much as people complain about it, has been rock solid all year. Unless Kenny gets blown away, the right move is to stand pat.

esbrechtel
07-31-2009, 02:12 PM
****:angry:

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 02:15 PM
I hope Kenny doesn't make that mistake.

It seems like there's a lot of wanting to make a deal for the sake of making a deal. No one has anything specific that should be targeted, just do something, right?

There are only a few places where an upgrade would be nice, but at no place is it completely necessary to win the division. The Twins needed a middle infielder, they have gotten no production whatsoever out of any of them all year (they could also use a starting pitcher, or two). The Tigers could use a starting pitcher, and the extra depth that goes with it. We don't really have that position. Second base production has been okay, Pods has been great for us, and our rotation, as much as people complain about it, has been rock solid all year. Unless Kenny gets blown away, the right move is to stand pat.

Most logical post in this thread. Kudos.

FloridaTigers
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
I dig this deal alot. Like Oblong said, French and the other guy aren't top prospects, but they aren't garbage either. Those are the kind of players you put together in deals for the trade deadline. I just hope Dombrowski uses the remaining pieces to piece a trade for a bat.

Lip Man 1
07-31-2009, 02:56 PM
OEO:

The back end of the Sox rotation has been a disaster area / black hole (choose the adjective that works best).

Seems to me they could use a starting pitcher (or two...) Unless you think Contreras / Colon and or Richard are suddenly going to turn into something all of a sudden.

But Kenny may feel that it's not worth the price, so be it. Let's hope for 30 more wins and a winning season at the very least.

The question then is, what if anything does Kenny do this off season which again is expected to be a buyer's market.

Lip

DirtySox
07-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Contreras has been solid. The 5th spot might be your only qualm.

MarkZ35
07-31-2009, 10:38 PM
French looked like he was going to be a pretty good pitcher in the next few years. I'm not over impressed with Washburn even with his hot streak lately. For the most part I'm indifferent with the whole trade. I guess we'll find out in the next few months.

Hitmen77
08-01-2009, 12:59 AM
What a big slap in the face to M's fans, though. They're in a 4 team race for the wild card, POSSIBLY the division as well, and their GM goes and pulls a move like this? Those two guys aren't gonna help them this season. Washburn was huge for their success so far, and they just lost Bedard. They were out there winning the 2-1 games based solely on their incredible pitching, and now, they're done. They have no chance.

Pretty sad. Anyways, it's scary, but the day isn't over yet.

I'm puzzled too since I thought the M's were good this year and making a run at the playoffs. Why are they dumping a top pitcher for prospects?

I haven't been following them too much, but were people expecting Seattle to be sellers at the trade deadline?

MarkZ35
08-01-2009, 01:07 AM
I'm puzzled too since I thought the M's were good this year and making a run at the playoffs. Why are they dumping a top pitcher for prospects?

I haven't been following them too much, but were people expecting Seattle to be sellers at the trade deadline?
I agree. I was surprised but my guess is that with Bedard getting hurt the M's were somewhat conceiding this year if a deal they liked was offered.

Tragg
08-01-2009, 01:12 AM

One thing is that they are chasing 2 teams, both of whom are a good bit ahead of them.

The back end of the Sox rotation has been a disaster area / black hole (choose the adjective that works best).
Richard and Colon have done okay this year.

oeo
08-01-2009, 02:36 AM
OEO:

This just simply isn't true. They've been fine. I'm too tired to do the math, but our starters have an ERA of 4.10. The best being Buehrle at 3.45. Maybe it's your imagination that they've been a black hole at the back end, but I certainly haven't seen it as that.

hawkjt
08-01-2009, 07:24 AM
As the day finally ended, the Twins got help in the infield but not in their rotation and the tigers got help in their rotation but not on their offense,so it could have been worse. Sox got help for the ''black hole'' in the rotation(I do not agree that Richard/Jose have been that bad)...so it is most definitely ...game on.

For the Sox, it comes down to getting some consistent offensive production vs good pitching that they will be facing going forward starting with Burnett and CC...then the Angels..then the Red Sox, and Yanks again. I like our rotation, and the bullpen has potential, defense is suspect, but offense can help overcome..

mzh
08-01-2009, 11:08 AM

I heard on MLB Network that this was a true rent-a-player, because the Mariners intend to try to re-sign him again next year. The Tiggers may have caught him at just the right time though, this being a contract year for him.