PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Idea :0

RKMeibalane
06-05-2002, 07:21 PM
The other day, I was pondering the possibility of the Sox trading for Cliff Floyd. The deal could included Carlos Lee and maybe Ray Durham. I don't know if this would work, because Durham is in his contract year, so the Marlins probably wouldn't be willing to take him if they didn't think they would have a realistic chance to re-sign him once the season ended.

Putting aside salary and trade-value issues, let us consider for a moment what the addition of Floyd could do for the Sox lineup. Granted, Floyd doesn't have as much speed as Durham, but he has stolen twenty-plus bases in the past. As long as he's healthy, I don't see anyting stopping him from doing that again. Floyd's best attribute, however, is his power. I don't know where he would hit- sixth spot maybe- but he would provide left-handed power, which is important in a righty-dominated lineup. On top of everything else, he is from Chicago.

A word of warning: don't put too stock into this. I am not panicking, nor am I advocating a trade of Lee or Durham or both. I would just like to hear everyone's thoughts on this, if for no other reason, because there are several people on this board who have been following baseball longer than I have (ten years), and I think I would benefit from hearing the wisdom of others.

Daver
06-05-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
The other day, I was pondering the possibility of the Sox trading for Cliff Floyd. The deal could included Carlos Lee and maybe Ray Durham. I don't know if this would work, because Durham is in his contract year, so the Marlins probably wouldn't be willing to take him if they didn't think they would have a realistic chance to re-sign him once the season ended.

Putting aside salary and trade-value issues, let us consider for a moment what the addition of Floyd could do for the Sox lineup. Granted, Floyd doesn't have as much speed as Durham, but he has stolen twenty-plus bases in the past. As long as he's healthy, I don't see anyting stopping him from doing that again. Floyd's best attribute, however, is his power. I don't know where he would hit- sixth spot maybe- but he would provide left-handed power, which is important in a righty-dominated lineup. On top of everything else, he is from Chicago.

A word of warning: don't put too stock into this. I am not panicking, nor am I advocating a trade of Lee or Durham or both. I would just like to hear everyone's thoughts on this, if for no other reason, because there are several people on this board who have been following baseball longer than I have (ten years), and I think I would benefit from hearing the wisdom of others.

Cliff Floyd is in a contract year also,so in the long run the Sox would gain nothing,aside from trading salary for salary with no return.C. Lee is at least under contract for 2003.

MattSharp
06-05-2002, 08:49 PM
This wouldn't really work. Durham is in his contract year. The whole point of the Marlins trading their best player in the first placec is because they want to get something for him before he is gone. Durham would certainly bolt, not to mention that they already have the speedy Luis Castillo. Lee could provide a suitable replacement but he fits the mold of the former failed OFs in Florida, Mark Kotsay and Todd Dunwoody. Possible stars who fizzled after a year or two of hype.

As for the Sox, I don't think they need that big of an improvement to their lineup. You would have to hit him second, which I suppose wouldn't be so bad, but we have enough RBI guys. There is also no chance or reason for the Sox to sign him long term with Rowand, Leifer, and Borchard hanging around.

Randar68
06-05-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
There is also no chance or reason for the Sox to sign him long term with Rowand, Leifer, and Borchard hanging around.

Well, I'll give you one reason....

An OF of Floyd, LTP, Maggs from left to right......yeah, talk about production...

Lip Man 1
06-05-2002, 11:13 PM
I don't know if this would be a factor or not (it could), concerning signing Floyd to a long term deal if somehow the Sox got him in a trade.

According to a Sports Illustrated story on Floyd a few months ago (it may have been over the Winter), Cliff is FROM the South Side and grew up a passionate White Sox fan.

I remember the story quoted him as saying his hero was Harold Baines.

Lip

Chisox_cali
06-05-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I don't know if this would be a factor or not (it could), concerning signing Floyd to a long term deal if somehow the Sox got him in a trade.

According to a Sports Illustrated story on Floyd a few months ago (it may have been over the Winter), Cliff is FROM the South Side and grew up a passionate White Sox fan.

I remember the story quoted him as saying his hero was Harold Baines.

Lip

Well you gotta love that, a home town boy playing for a home town team.