PDA

View Full Version : MLB.tv Subscription 2009

MARTINMVP
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
I attempted to search for this topic and returned empty, so I am sincerely hoping I am not starting a thread about something that has indeed been discussed here already.

With that said, I am really considering getting MLB.tv. While I would rather get the Extra Innings package, it is not an option for me. With MLB.tv, I would watch select Cardinal games when not doing anything, and primarily use the radio option at night to listen the earlier Sox or Cardinal games, and possibly use the radio option at work the next day to listen to the previous game.

I could go with the cheaper audio only version, but if I'm subscribing, I'd want the screen. I've found some bad reviews of MLB.tv, but I'm wondering if anyone here has it, especially with the 2009 upgrades - if so, how do like it? I have Comcast high speed, so I wouldn;'t think I'd have any problem with screen choppiness. I do realize White Sox games are blacked out, but not for audio-only.

voodoochile
07-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Depends on where you live. You won't get around blackout restrictions if you live in the Sox viewing area - so if you live in an area that doesn't get WCIU or CSN, but are still in the defined "area" you still won't get games.

If you live well away from Chicago, it's worth it. Yeah, it freezes sometimes and sometimes during big moments and that can be frustrating, but even the cheapest package (what I have) is worth it, IMO. I'll sometimes even watch crucial games for divisional rivals when the Sox are in the playoff hunt.

Highly recommended.

manders_01
07-31-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree with VC. Although it has it's moments of skipping and coming in terribly, it for the most part lets me watch crystal clear Sox games. A big plus is that the feed must stream the audio and video separately because even when the image skips, the audio still comes in perfectly. The '09 upgrade of the DVR was the smartest thing they ever could have done.

GoGoCrede
07-31-2009, 10:21 AM
I recommend it. I only use it when I'm visiting my parents out of state, and it's awesome. Avoiding annoying commercials is great.

Some great things about the premimum package:

getting to choose the home or away feed
a clearer picture
being able to watch up to 4 games at once
being informed when another player goes up to bat in a different game
seeing instant highlights from around the league

MARTINMVP
07-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the input so far. Do you know how long the games are archived (for both video and audio)? I live in the southwest burbs, so Sox games I'd still watch on TV. But I'd love to watch Card and Yanks games and have the option to browse... but also be able to listen to an earlier game using the audio-only option.

Trav
07-31-2009, 11:56 AM
The quality is poor. Very, very poor. From the game feeds down to the customer service. Nationally televised games are blacked out. The Nexdef HD software they use is choppy when it does work. I have not watched two consecutive games where it worked for the majority of the time, and I have never watched a game where the quality held up the entire game.

With all that said, I continue to purchase the package every year because I do not have TV and I love watching the Sox. And every year I swear it will be the last year I order it.

voodoochile
07-31-2009, 11:59 AM
The quality is poor. Very, very poor. From the game feeds down to the customer service. Nationally televised games are blacked out. The Nexdef HD software they use is choppy when it does work. I have not watched two consecutive games where it worked for the majority of the time, and I have never watched a game where the quality held up the entire game.

With all that said, I continue to purchase the package every year because I do not have TV and I love watching the Sox. And every year I swear it will be the last year I order it.

Better to have less than perfect video of the Sox than no video at all. For $80/year for the base package, it's worth it.

BLRMKRdave
07-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Get a slingbox - no yearly / monthly fees

chisox616
07-31-2009, 07:34 PM
Get a slingbox - no yearly / monthly fees

That's what I'm using. I get to watch every Sox game (pending my crappy internet) for free, including the Fox games. It's great, quality is crap but I don't really care about that, I just wanna watch the Sox.