PDA

View Full Version : Manuel says Glover will not start vs. Cubs

Foulke You
06-05-2002, 06:25 PM
The Sun-Times reported today that Gary Glover's spot in the rotation will be skipped whenever there is an off day which will cause Todd Ritchie to start Game 3 against the Cubs instead of Gary Glover. Gee, you think Manuel & co. are realizing that you can't make a setup guy into a starter or is he simply trying to not draw the ire of Sox fans for starting Glover against the hated Cubs?

:ritchie
"I better bring my 'A' game!"

Jerry_Manuel
06-05-2002, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Foulke You
:ritchie
"I better bring my 'A' game!"

That should be a fun series. Everyone here is going to have a short fuse, and if the Sox lose, watch out.

RKMeibalane
06-05-2002, 08:03 PM
That series with the Cubs will be huge, as all games involving the Sox hated rivals are. I'm always excited this time of year. I don't know why, but interleague play is something that interests me. Maybe I like just because it's something different from the normal schedule. A lot of fans and people in the media soured on it after the first two or three years it was implemented, but I still find it exciting. Perhaps the change the matchups, which allows for competition between different teams this season, will be more interesting and fun for everyone.

bc2k
06-06-2002, 01:56 AM
I haven't felt any strong feelings about Manuel either way, but one point I do have to tip my hat to is the way he prepares for every crosstown series. I remember him switching his starting lineup allowing the better pitchers face the Cubs. Some Cub players were whining (like their fans) how JM was making too big of a deal of the series. Some Sox players responded saying how JM played the matchups and these games count in the standings so why wouldn't he tinker?

Here we are in 2002, similar situation, throwing the better starters vs. the Cubs. I LIKE THAT. He may not feel as intense about the crosstown series as we fans do, but he does know how important it is for us to have those bragging rights. For giving us the best odds of winning the crosstown series, thank you Jerry Manuel. And we better win all 6 games, most importantly June 28, when bc2k will be in attendance.

Hell, with the Cubs' offense we could win with Parque pitching! :o:

RKMeibalane
06-06-2002, 11:37 AM
Don't get carried away. Parque can't hold minor league teams down, not even the Cubs. Hehehe!

Chisox353014
06-06-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Here we are in 2002, similar situation, throwing the better starters vs. the Cubs. I LIKE THAT. He may not feel as intense about the crosstown series as we fans do, but he does know how important it is for us to have those bragging rights. For giving us the best odds of winning the crosstown series, thank you Jerry Manuel.

If someone can explain to me how starting Todd Ritchie gives us a chance to beat anybody, I'm all ears.

baggio202
06-06-2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

If someone can explain to me how starting Todd Ritchie gives us a chance to beat anybody, I'm all ears.

exactly..id feel more comfortable skipping over ritchie and letting glover start...

MisterB
06-07-2002, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Chisox353014

Originally posted by baggio202

exactly..id feel more comfortable skipping over ritchie and letting glover start...

Consider:

date - opponent - Ritchie ER - Sox run support - decision

4/2 - sea - 3 - 2 - ND
4/7 - kc - 3 - 1 - L
4/13 - bal - 2 - 2 - ND
4/18 - cle - 1 - 7 - W
4/23 - cle - 1 - 4 - W
4/28 - oak - 3 - 0 - L
5/4 - oak - 2 - 5 - W
5/9 - tex - 3 - 1 - L
5/15 - tex - 3 - 2 - L
5/20 - bos - 7 - 0 - L
5/25 - det - 6 - 0 - L
6/1 - cle - 0 - 3 - L
6/6 - kc - 4 - 1 - L

totals: 38 er allowed (2.92 per start), 28 runs of support (2.15 per start)

If the offense can score 4 runs for him, and the defense or bullpen doesn't screw up, Ritchie's record is more like 7-4. He has had 13 unearned runs scored on him - the next highest on the team are Buehrle & Garland with 5 unER a piece. In half of his starts the offense has given him 1 or 0 runs. I'd say he's in the running for the Jim Abbott Rotten Luck Award. He may be mediocre, but no worse than that.

baggio202
06-07-2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by MisterB

Consider:

date - opponent - Ritchie ER - Sox run support - decision

4/2 - sea - 3 - 2 - ND
4/7 - kc - 3 - 1 - L
4/13 - bal - 2 - 2 - ND
4/18 - cle - 1 - 7 - W
4/23 - cle - 1 - 4 - W
4/28 - oak - 3 - 0 - L
5/4 - oak - 2 - 5 - W
5/9 - tex - 3 - 1 - L
5/15 - tex - 3 - 2 - L
5/20 - bos - 7 - 0 - L
5/25 - det - 6 - 0 - L
6/1 - cle - 0 - 3 - L
6/6 - kc - 4 - 1 - L

totals: 38 er allowed (2.92 per start), 28 runs of support (2.15 per start)

If the offense can score 4 runs for him, and the defense or bullpen doesn't screw up, Ritchie's record is more like 7-4. He has had 13 unearned runs scored on him - the next highest on the team are Buehrle & Garland with 5 unER a piece. In half of his starts the offense has given him 1 or 0 runs. I'd say he's in the running for the Jim Abbott Rotten Luck Award. He may be mediocre, but no worse than that.

on paper..you have a great defense for ritchioe...but remember in the off season the people who liked the ritchie trade brought out all these kinds of stats saying how he would win 18-20 games here based on this and that...he is 3-8....he is one of these guys where if your team scores 3 runs he gives up 4...2 runs he gives up 3...this is exactly why i dont want jeff weaver..look at his won loss record..all we hear about is how great this guy is but he has never had a wnning season...you say well he plays on a horrible team...well steve sparks played on the same horrible team and went 14-9...some guys no matter what just cant win...have bad luck..whatever you want to call it...there are about 2 or 3 key moments in every game where a pitcher has to make a big pitch that usually dicides who wins...seems like every time we are at that point in a ritchie game he throws a hanger belt high center cut...

hopefully he can put it together soon...hell if we actually had a few candidates for the rotation he might be starring the bullpen in the face..but as it is if he can goes 6 and give up 6 all year he still has a starting job...he can still turn it around but he has a long way to come back now...our season probably depends on ritchie turning it around