PDA

View Full Version : Trades as Cure For Sox Woes--History?

Procol Harum
06-05-2002, 04:34 PM
We fans as well as sportswriters and talk show hosts expend a lot of time and energy in dreaming up hypothetical mid-season trades which are intended to pull a team out of the doldrums or launch it toward ultimate victory.

But I wonder how many of these mid-season deals ever actually accomplish much along these lines? For example, in Sox history I don't think that the swap of Tony Bernarzard for Julio Cruz was the igniter for our '83 division win. Similarly, you can remember how well the ill-fated Fred McGriff acquisition worked out for our pals the Flubs last year (and this!).

No doubt there are some instances that can be pointed to (although none are coming to mind at the moment), but given the all-encompassing and extended effort it takes to build a winner (development of home-grown players, judicious trades, free agehnt-signings, etc., etc.) can you realistically expect to turn around a team mid-season or add that crucial element that makes a winner in a single trade? Input? Examples?

Soxboyrob
06-05-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

But I wonder how many of these mid-season deals ever actually accomplish much along these lines? For example, in Sox history I don't think that the swap of Tony Bernarzard for Julio Cruz was the igniter for our '83 division win. Similarly, you can remember how well the ill-fated Fred McGriff acquisition worked out for our pals the Flubs last year (and this!).

You're right, as they rarely have the intended impact. Notables....Unit to the Astros a few years ago, CJ to the Sox in 2000, Alvarez/Darwin/Hernandez to the Giants in '97 to name a few.

Tragg
06-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

You're right, as they rarely have the intended impact. Notables....Unit to the Astros a few years ago, CJ to the Sox in 2000, Alvarez/Darwin/Hernandez to the Giants in '97 to name a few.

While CJ was the best catcher we've had here since Fisk in his prime, that trade didn't have much of an impact. Same outcome would have occured with or without him.

don't forget getting George Bell's fat ass over here. That hurt.

One late season trade that did help was getting Tim Belcher in 1993. He didn't pitch well during the season, but won a game against toronto in a stunning performance (he and bere were the only ?Sox pitchers that came to play)

I think we gave up touted prospect Johnny Ruffin for him. That was when, I guess, we could distinguish between real prospects and foolsgold (which Ruffin was), sharp contrast to the current regime.

Lip Man 1
06-05-2002, 11:13 PM
In 1987 the Tigers traded prospect John Smoltz to the Braves for pitcher Doyle Alexander at the trade deadline.

Alexander went 9-0 down the stretch to help Detroit (I think) win the Eastern Division, although they lost to the Twins in the ALCS.

Lip

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Tragg
don't forget getting George Bell's fat ass over here. That hurt.
Bell drove in 112 runs for the Sox in 1992. I don't think there was a single Sox fan at the end of the 92 season who thought that was a bad trade.

Nellie_Fox
06-06-2002, 01:49 AM
Just as Julio Cruz helped in '83 and then pretty much disappeared, how about Ted Kluszewski in '59?

Tragg
06-06-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Bell drove in 112 runs for the Sox in 1992. I don't think there was a single Sox fan at the end of the 92 season who thought that was a bad trade.

With an OBP of a pathetic .294 and a slugging percentage a mere 12 points higher than power hitting Tim Raines? No, those were not particularly good numbers (aided and abetted to the extreme by batting behind a brilliant frank thomas) and I can think of many people who would agree (can't say Sox fans as I live near none).
I will also note that we won nothing in 1992 and in 1993 when we did win he was no help: 13 homers, 64 RBIS and an incredible .243 OBP.

Spiff
06-06-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob

Sox actually had a worse record with him that year than with Fordyce.

Procol Harum
06-06-2002, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Nellie_Fox
Just as Julio Cruz helped in '83 and then pretty much disappeared, how about Ted Kluszewski in '59? \

Hmmmm, unfortunately the '59 season was a couple of years before I was old enough to be cognizant of baseball (just my luck). I know he had the big day in the first game of the Series, but wasn't he there only for the last 5-6 weeks of the season? I wonder how the before/after record shaped up after his acquisition?

steff
06-06-2002, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Spiff

Sox actually had a worse record with him that year than with Fordyce.

I'm getting ready to head down to the park so I don't have time to look it up, but Fordyce was more productive too, wasn't he? Maybe I'm confusing that will his popularity - "How many dice... Fordyce"...

K.. off to drink many. Have a good one everyone!!

Moses_Scurry
06-06-2002, 11:33 AM
Not the White Sox, but I remember the Braves trading for Fred McGriff back in the early '90's. They were something like 10 games behind SF (must have been pre-1994!) and ended up taking the division. I don't remember who they traded for McGriff or which team they traded with.

hold2dibber
06-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Wasn't Sutcliffe a mid-season pick up for the Flubs in '84 and didn't he go 14-1 or something like that the rest of the way?