PDA

View Full Version : Trade Comments And Thoughts

kevingrt
06-05-2002, 05:20 PM
Okay, I heard on the Mac, Jurko, and Harry show that Chicago WhiteSox beat reporter Bruce Levine said that he talked to Detroit's GM. The GM said yes he would do a trade straight up Joe Crede for Jeff Weaver.

Let's Push The Button, Come On I Like This Trade! Who Cares Team Chemistry, Team Wins Is What Matters!!!

Daver
06-05-2002, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by kevingrt
Okay, I heard on the Mac, Jurko, and Harry show that Chicago WhiteSox beat reporter Bruce Levine said that he talked to Detroit's GM. The GM said yes he would do a trade straight up Joe Crede for Jeff Weaver.

Let's Push The Button, Come On I Like This Trade! Who Cares Team Chemistry, Team Wins Is What Matters!!!

Yeah let's trade away the only 3B prospect in the whole system.

kevingrt
06-05-2002, 05:24 PM
Was that suppose to be in teal, it sounded like it but really can't tell?

Daver
06-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Was that suppose to be in teal, it sounded like it but really can't tell?

Yeah.

CerberusWG
06-05-2002, 05:38 PM
Unless Hummel starts raising his BA, no.

voodoochile
06-05-2002, 05:47 PM
I voted "no" because of all the side crap...

Weaver's agent is Boras.
Weaver hates JR.
The Sox players have bad blood with him.

If not for all of that, I would be more likely to vote yes, and see if we couldn't work out a trade for a young SS. Manos is looking better and better at third everyday...

Hey, Detroit, interested in a all-field no hit SS and a FA second baseman?

kevingrt
06-05-2002, 05:51 PM
Hey, Detroit, interested in a all-field no hit SS and a FA second baseman?

We need a wishing color...

Soxboyrob
06-05-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by daver

Yeah let's trade away the only 3B prospect in the whole system.

The key word there is "prospect." I'd carry Crede to Detroit on my back and personally deliver him in exchange for Weaver. Weaver appears to be one of the better starters in the game right now, he's young and he's signed for a few more years. He just gave up his first home run of the season the other day. He's the kind of badass starter the Sox need.

Soxboyrob
06-05-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I voted "no" because of all the side crap...

Weaver's agent is Boras.
Weaver hates JR.
The Sox players have bad blood with him.

If not for all of that, I would be more likely to vote yes, and see if we couldn't work out a trade for a young SS. Manos is looking better and better at third everyday...

Weaver is signed for a while, so Boras becomes an issue only after those years are over. I don't know for sure that Weaver hates JR. Not reaching a contract agreement is fairly common. Plus, I think JR has a lot of detractors either way. That bad blood is based on what, that brawl in 2000? That stuff happens. Guys get traded to teams with whom they've brawled before. I bet if you asked the guys on the Sox if they'd like a guy like Weaver, they'd tell you "hell yeah, he's an asskicker!"

I agree w/ you about Jose. He looks to me like he's found a natural position at third base. His glovework has been exceptional there and his throwing has improved this year over recent years. I think that playing a position that involves more reacting than thinking has been beneficial to Jose.

Overall, I'm tired of prospects and always talking about how good someone is "going to be." I'm ready to win now. How much longer can we talk about how good we're going to be in just a few more years?

voodoochile
06-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Soxboyrob
Overall, I'm tired of prospects and always talking about how good someone is "going to be." I'm ready to win now. How much longer can we talk about how good we're going to be in just a few more years?

For at least a few more years... :(:

MattSharp
06-05-2002, 06:26 PM

The key word there is "prospect." I'd carry Crede to Detroit on my back and personally deliver him in exchange for Weaver. Weaver appears to be one of the better starters in the game right now, he's young and he's signed for a few more years. He just gave up his first home run of the season the other day. He's the kind of badass starter the Sox need.

But the Sox have plenty of young arms that could develop. If the Sox give up one of their young hitters for a guy they may not have in two years I think its a big waste of time....

Soxboyrob
06-05-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp

But the Sox have plenty of young arms that could develop. If the Sox give up one of their young hitters for a guy they may not have in two years I think its a big waste of time....

It's not that you don't have an excellent point. You do!! I guess I've just become embittered after 8 decades without a title. Anymore, I don't care about what's happening in two years here. I just want us to win before I'm dead. We're always talking about IF we can develop our young arms. I guess it's why I've been somewhat forgiving of KW for the Ritchie trade....it was done in the spirit of winning. Unfortunately, it's the Pirates that are winning. After we win a pennant or a Series, I'll then start worrying about how to preserve that tradition for the future years. This cynicism is going to kill me.

doublem23
06-05-2002, 06:43 PM

It's not that you don't have an excellent point. You do!! I guess I've just become embittered after 8 decades without a title. Anymore, I don't care about what's happening in two years here. I just want us to win before I'm dead. We're always talking about IF we can develop our young arms. I guess it's why I've been somewhat forgiving of KW for the Ritchie trade....it was done in the spirit of winning. Unfortunately, it's the Pirates that are winning. After we win a pennant or a Series, I'll then start worrying about how to preserve that tradition for the future years. This cynicism is going to kill me.

I agree with you, Soxboy, that I'd love to have Weaver... but not at that cost. Maybe being 18 makes me a little more willing to wait. :smile:

Paulwny
06-05-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

. Maybe being 18 makes me a little more willing to wait. :smile:

I was in my mid teens when the sox went to the WS. The time waiting for the next appearance has flown by. It's always been, "Wait till these young guys develop".

Paulwny
06-05-2002, 07:02 PM
If Detroit is shopping Weaver, watch out for the yankmees. With Pettite and El Duque big question marks, King George would trade 1/2 his minor leaguers for Weaver.

PaleHoseGeorge
06-05-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
I was in my mid teens when the sox went to the WS. The time waiting for the next appearance has flown by. It's always been, "Wait till these young guys develop".

Can't you just imagine what a raving lunatic doublem will be in thirty years when he's 48 and the Sox have never advanced passed the ALDS!

:)

duke of dorwood
06-05-2002, 07:28 PM
I would not do this. Crede can be effectively worked into this team with little pressure. We have no one that plays the position like him in our system.

Maggliosfan09
06-05-2002, 07:39 PM
why trade away a great 3rd base when he may have the potential to be the next Ventura? If he starts showing us he is no good then we can trade him but not now while he is showing great potential to be a good ball player.

doublem23
06-05-2002, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Maggliosfan09
why trade away a great 3rd base when he may have the potential to be the next Ventura? If he starts showing us he is no good then we can trade him but not now while he is showing great potential to be a good ball player.

Uh, if he starts showing he's no good, why would anyone trade a guy like Weaver for him?

kevingrt
06-05-2002, 07:44 PM
But the Sox have plenty of young arms that could develop.

But didn't they have the best farm system for pitchers in the early 90's. Where are they now?

doublem23
06-05-2002, 07:54 PM

But didn't they have the best farm system for pitchers in the early 90's. Where are they now?

Should have won the Series in 1994... Fell apart after the strike.

Paulwny
06-05-2002, 07:55 PM
For over a month people have been ranting on trading for a proven starting pitcher. Detroit wants youth, their not interested in Lee, Durham, Valentin, etc. , "potential" vs. a proven pitcher who has a 2-3 yr. contract, do the trade.

Maggliosfan09
06-05-2002, 07:56 PM
my point is look at what happened to Mike Cameron and Robin Ventura after we traded them away. If we do trade him we'll probably be kicking ourselves in a year or so.

Paulwny
06-05-2002, 08:01 PM
my point is look at what happened to Mike Cameron and Robin Ventura after we traded them away. If we do trade him we'll probably be kicking ourselves in a year or so.

I believe Ventura was a free agent and the sox weren't going to pay him the money. We traded Cameron for Konerko, equal.

doublem23
06-05-2002, 08:01 PM

We didn't trade Robin.

And that's the risk involved with trades. What if Weaver becomes a great pitcher and Crede turns out to be a dud? Is that likely to happen? No, but if it does, we'll be kicking ourselves for not taking that deal.

Tragg
06-05-2002, 11:31 PM

The only relevance chemistry has is if it affects winning, which it often does.

Personally, I have severe reservations about such a trade. We won't sign Weaver and he threw at our players heads.

That said, considering that the Sox seem to hold Crede in such low esteem, I'm surprised they haven't consummated this trade. Which makes me think that Levine is Full of Bull.

bc2k
06-06-2002, 02:40 AM
Don't worry guys, I have it all figured out.

1. Trade Crede for Weaver
Weaver is signed at a reasonable price through 2005 or '06 I believe. That leave us without a third baseman you say?

2. Sign Scott Rolen in the offseason. Too much money you say?

3. Invoke Thomas' Diminished Skills Clause. That frees up more than 40 million we could throw at Rolen. Reinsdorf signed Belle, I believe he was serious about AROD. Boros just didn't allow him a meeting. Just make an offer Boros said. So I believe he would be open to signing Rolen - unless Boros represents him as well. :angry:

That give a 2003 rotation of Buehrle, Weaver, Ritchie, Garland, Biddle-Glover-Wright. Imagine those 7 guys plus Foulke, Osuna, Marte, and Wunsch. I've read many of you regard Ritchie as a playoff number 3 or 4. Well with my three easy steps, your wish is granted.

The outfield is stacked, the rotation is stacked, the bullpen is stacked (the two quality pitchers who lose the 5th spot go to the bullpen), and with Mark Johnson, Konerko, Harris, Rolen and Valentin, the infield with fine.

So the answer is solved in three steps. Follow these three steps, and I guarantee a 2003 White Sox Pennant.

DrWatson27
06-06-2002, 09:36 AM
I live in Michigan and have been able to watch Weaver some and you never know what your going to get, great one night-terriable the next. Plus he's had arm problems and couple that with how hard he throws and his tall thin build he's a liability for more problems in the future. I also get the feeling that Tiger management feel that they would have to get a knock out deal to justify trading their best young pitcher. Fans have just about forgotten the Tiger's already because of their lack of willingness to go after or keep good talent, this would destroy any slim hope the fans have. It would take more than just 1 prospect, more like 2 almost major league ready prospects and an major league pitcher. Now I would take Weaver & Higginson for Crede, Lee, Choice & another minor leaguer.

kevingrt
06-06-2002, 10:48 AM
I might actually have to change this vote to no...

I think are starters are really statrin' to turn-up and wake-up. I'm still not set on DW and GG but if they both can average a 4.25 ERA, I'd be more then happy!

TheBigHurt
06-06-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Don't worry guys, I have it all figured out.

1. Trade Crede for Weaver
Weaver is signed at a reasonable price through 2005 or '06 I believe. That leave us without a third baseman you say?

2. Sign Scott Rolen in the offseason. Too much money you say?

3. Invoke Thomas' Diminished Skills Clause. That frees up more than 40 million we could throw at Rolen. Reinsdorf signed Belle, I believe he was serious about AROD. Boros just didn't allow him a meeting. Just make an offer Boros said. So I believe he would be open to signing Rolen - unless Boros represents him as well. :angry:

That give a 2003 rotation of Buehrle, Weaver, Ritchie, Garland, Biddle-Glover-Wright. Imagine those 7 guys plus Foulke, Osuna, Marte, and Wunsch. I've read many of you regard Ritchie as a playoff number 3 or 4. Well with my three easy steps, your wish is granted.

The outfield is stacked, the rotation is stacked, the bullpen is stacked (the two quality pitchers who lose the 5th spot go to the bullpen), and with Mark Johnson, Konerko, Harris, Rolen and Valentin, the infield with fine.

So the answer is solved in three steps. Follow these three steps, and I guarantee a 2003 White Sox Pennant.

Sounds like you have a plan, unfortunately your not JR.