PDA

View Full Version : Sign of the Apocolypse- ESPN orders Bartman documentary

PatK
07-30-2009, 12:04 PM
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/07/espn-orders-documentary-on-chicago-cubs-scapegoat-steve-bartman.html

UGH

Why is this even being made?

eriqjaffe
07-30-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm actually interested in the USFL documentary they're making for the series.

MarkZ35
07-30-2009, 12:15 PM
They want something else to show when the Cubs get knocked out first round this year.

russ99
07-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Sheesh whenever it's slow around the ESPN offices they need to go back to Bartman.

Leave the poor guy alone, already. That was 5 years ago.

TDog
07-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Bartman looms large in the Cubs legend.

Disco demolition and Wilbur Wood starting and losing both ends of a real doubleheader (not this day-night pseudo-doubleheader stuff they foist on fans today) loomed larger in the White Sox legend until October 2005.

Nobody says you have to watch ESPN. I had to unblock it recently to see the ninth inning of Mark Buehrle's perfect game.

PatK
07-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I rarely watch ESPN. I saw this on the Tribune website.

They are making a USFL documentary? Is this part of some kind of series?

Madscout
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
They want something else to show when the Cubs get knocked out first round this year.

If St. Louis and San Fran keep playing like they are, the Cubs may not even see the first round.

soxfanreggie
07-30-2009, 01:16 PM
I will definitely not be watching this documentary. They just need to leave the poor man alone.

GoGoCrede
07-30-2009, 01:19 PM
:angry::angry: Leave the poor man alone. This is publicity he doesn't need. Alex Gonzalez should have sent him a fruit basket for taking the fall after what happened. Have you see videos of him trying to leave Wrigley after the incident? Disgusting.

JB98
07-30-2009, 01:30 PM
It's a shame that they keep scapegoating that guy. They just can't accept that their ****ing Cubs have sucked for 101 years, and that's how it is. Bartman did nothing wrong.

Red Barchetta
07-30-2009, 01:41 PM
:angry::angry: Leave the poor man alone. This is publicity he doesn't need. Alex Gonzalez should have sent him a fruit basket for taking the fall after what happened. Have you see videos of him trying to leave Wrigley after the incident? Disgusting.

I agree. They never even question the other 3-4 fans who were also trying to catch it. Bartmann, unfortunately was the one who touched it. Alou acted like a spoiled baby, Dusty Baker sat on his ass in the dugout and did not take the opportunity to calm everyone down and then Gonzalez boots a double play ball. However in typical Cub tradition, they blame anyone or everything besides the team on the field. :rolleyes:

manders_01
07-30-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm actually interested in the USFL documentary they're making for the series.

I was thinking there were several on that list that might be interesting.

OmarLittle
07-30-2009, 04:32 PM
I'm pretty excited for this ESPN series, namely the one on Terry Fox that is being directed by Steve Nash.

white sox bill
07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
This is so old news, kinda like rehashing Princess Di's death.

C-Dawg
07-30-2009, 04:41 PM
I agree. They never even question the other 3-4 fans who were also trying to catch it.

I agree completely; watching the replays there was a guy in a gray jacket who was reaching for it almost on top of Bartman, but when the ball was dropped and Alou was having his hissy fit, the guy was pointing right at Bartman.

slavko
07-30-2009, 04:48 PM
The guy has taken more poo than a man should have to take in a lifetime for doing nothing any fan would not do. I hate to say it, but the only way he gets redemption is if they win it all some time. Then he might be a hero, or at least a cult figure.

wassagstdu
07-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Maybe we will finally find out if there is any truth to the rumor that Bartman put on White Sox paraphernalia and attended a game at the HHH Dome where he performed a satanic ritual that put the Sox under a downright CUBS-LIKE curse in that dome.

We ridicule the Cubs and their curses but we behave the same way about the baggie-dome.

white sox bill
07-30-2009, 05:42 PM
So what has happened to Bartman these days? Witness protection program as once suggested? Has he returned to the Friendly Confines?

thomas35forever
07-30-2009, 09:22 PM
http://ryanbrockingtondesign.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/crocker1.JPG
"LEAVE STEVE BARTMAN ALONE! I'M SERIOUS!"

rdivaldi
07-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Why is this even being made?

Because ESPN only knows about 3 teams in MLB. They must shove them down their audience throats, it's in their mission statement.

Thank G-d for the MLB Network.

PatK
08-02-2009, 10:52 AM
At least the Cubs and some of the players are coming out against this (Lee and Ramirez are two) and saying it is time to move on

Zisk77
08-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Bartman looms large in the Cubs legend.

Disco demolition and Wilbur Wood starting and losing both ends of a real doubleheader (not this day-night pseudo-doubleheader stuff they foist on fans today) loomed larger in the White Sox legend until October 2005.

Nobody says you have to watch ESPN. I had to unblock it recently to see the ninth inning of Mark Buehrle's perfect game.

Didn't Wood win both ends of a doubleheader? :scratch:

Lip Man 1
08-02-2009, 11:37 AM
May 28, 1973 - A night Wilbur Wood will never forget. Two days earlier the game between Cleveland and the White Sox was suspended by curfew tied at two after 16 innings. Rain washed out action on the 27th so when the suspended game was resumed on the 28th, it was Wood’s turn to pitch. He went out and threw five innings before the Sox would win it 6 - 3 in 21 innings. Thirty minutes later Wood went out and started the regularly scheduled game. He would toss a complete game, four hitter, winning 4 - 0. Two wins in one evening! His line for the night, 14 innings pitched, one run, six hits, nine strikeouts, two wins. Wilbur was now 13 - 3 on the season and it wasn’t even June 1st!

--------------------------------------

July 20, 1973 - Wilbur Wood starts both regularly scheduled games in New York. He becomes the first pitcher to do this in decades. Unfortunately he gets beat around twice, losing both decisions 12 - 2 and 7 - 0. Earlier in the season he started the suspended game and a regularly scheduled game in Chicago beating Cleveland twice.

Wilbur talks about both of these things in his interview:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3008

Lip

TDog
08-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Didn't Wood win both ends of a doubleheader? :scratch:

The completeion of a suspended game does not constitute a doubleheader. In his doubleheader loss, he was pulled in the first inning. Bart Johnson was schedled to pitch the second game, but Tanner thought Wood might have better luck in the second game. Wood pitched well for six innings, but the Sox didn't score.

Wood never started and won both ends of a doubleheader. I believe he is the only pitcher in my lifetime to start both ends of a doubleheader, and he only did that once. He lost both ends of a doubleheader the year before he moved became a starter. I recall that on May 17, 1970, when the Sox were incredibly only two games below .500, Wood lost two tough extra-inning games in relief to the Royals.

Wood may have won both ends of a doubleheader while he was still in the bullpen, but I don't remember it. The Sox only swept one doubleheader in 1970 (I think they were swept in more a dozen) -- against the Angels in September. Wood got the save in the rain-shortened second game, and Jerry Janestki pitched a complete game in the first. But my memories of 1969 are more vague, and I don't remember much at all from 1968.

Lip Man 1
08-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Wilbur did get two relief wins on the same day in a twin bill versus Seattle.

June 24, 1969- In the second game of a double header in Seattle, Sox 3rd baseman Bill Melton slugs three home runs in the 7 - 6 win. All are solo blasts. The Sox take the first game as well winning 6 - 4 with relief pitcher Wilbur Wood picking up wins in both games!

Lip

HomeFish
08-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Whatever. I won't cry about it if Cub fans are reminded of one of the most tragicomic moments in their franchise's history, even if it is wrong to put all or even most of the blame on Bartman.

I had a big laugh about it at the time. Today, Alfonso Soriano's defensive misadventures entertain me more.

RadioheadRocks
08-03-2009, 03:42 AM
I agree. They never even question the other 3-4 fans who were also trying to catch it. Bartmann, unfortunately was the one who touched it. Alou acted like a spoiled baby, Dusty Baker sat on his ass in the dugout and did not take the opportunity to calm everyone down and then Gonzalez boots a double play ball. However in typical Cub tradition, they blame anyone or everything besides the team on the field. :rolleyes:

Now THIS would make for a good documentary!

TommyJohn
08-03-2009, 07:13 AM
I wonder if they'll give Lester Munson another chance to talk about how he wants to strangle Bartman. They will doubtless interview Captain Jayhab, who still obsesses over it as if it happened yesterday.

Frankfan4life
08-03-2009, 08:26 PM
I have a lot of respect for Steve Bartman. He could have made a fortune off of this incident by making public appearances, writing a book, etc. But he turned down all kinds gifts and freebees that were being thrown at him and chose to stay out of the public eye. I might add that this is a very uncub-like thing to do.

I'm pretty sure the media must have sought him out in an attempt to make this documentary interesting. They probably hounded him, his family, friends and co-workers for interviews. I feel sorry for Bartman. This is an unconscionable invasion of his privacy and I for one would never watch or encourage anyone I know to watch this travesty.

spawn
08-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Derrek Lee and Aramis Rasmirez agree that this is a bad idea:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-02-cubs-brite-chicago-aug02,0,7960031.story

ode to veeck
08-04-2009, 08:43 AM
how about a documentary on the SS who bobbled the double play ball only moments after Bartman's moment of infamy

Mendoza Line
08-04-2009, 09:14 AM
The goat is funny, but the Diamondbacks did it better a few years ago when Steve Bartman was on their kiss cam. I'm sure that is on youtube!