PDA

View Full Version : Uniwatch - White Sox Uniform History

anewman35
07-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Uniwatch has a big article on the history of White Sox uniforms today. They're once again a little too into the idea that we should change for some reason, but other than that it's pretty intereting, with lots of pictures: http://www.uniwatchblog.com/2009/07/30/darning-the-sox-in-the-night-when-theres-nobody-there/

Red Barchetta
07-30-2009, 07:52 AM
If anything, that was entertaining. I like any design that incorporates the red/black Go Go Sox theme, however some were pretty wild. "Powder Reds"?! Nasty!

It was fun seeing pics of the old uniforms again. I forgot the SOX brought out that white hat/blue bill in the 70s.

I wouldn't mind some subtle tweaks (adding an alternate home pant to match up with the alternate jersey and then only wear the pinstripe pants with the pinstripe shirts), however I like our current color scheme and would not like to see them switch to blue or red again. We see enough of that on the north side...

roylestillman
07-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I still like the home white pinstripes, but I got to admit that alternative black jersey worn with the black pants looks pretty damn good:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3143/3645187855_a6b245a17f_o.jpg

Red Barchetta
07-30-2009, 08:48 AM
I still like the home white pinstripes, but I got to admit that alternative black jersey worn with the black pants looks pretty damn good:

Nice job! I would like to see the home alternate pant be white with grey/black piping similar to the road pants. Just switch the grey for white. I think that would line up better with the black alternate jersey and trim piping. It doesn't look right with the pinstripe pants because of the trim.

hi im skot
07-30-2009, 09:00 AM
That's a whole lot of bad ideas.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Stoky44
07-30-2009, 09:04 AM

Nice job! I would like to see the home alternate pant be white with grey/black piping similar to the road pants. Just switch the grey for white. I think that would line up better with the black alternate jersey and trim piping. It doesn't look right with the pinstripe pants because of the trim.

I have been suggesting on this forum since 2003 the addition of black pants, at which time only about 36% of the people here liked the idea. I brought it up again in 2008.
Great job with the photoshop work.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26381

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1868251&postcount=112

Edit: Also saw that they suggested black sani's with white stirups, which I brought up in a thread within the past few weeks. I think this idea could work with the current unis.

Bobby Thigpen
07-30-2009, 09:05 AM

They look like the Ninja Black Sox.

No thanks.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Never been a fan of anything blue in the Sox unis, just looks way too - I dunno what they look like in fact. That goes for the grey too, not that big of a fan.

On the other hand, some of those red mockups look damn cool. Maybe not the powdered jerseys, but who knows, they may look good after not seeing them for so many years.

As far as the other options, I love ANYTHING to do with the "Go, Go" Unis. I think that would be a real cool idea considering its been half a century since the 59' team made it to the World Series. I REALLY like the black pants to go with the road unis as well.

But with all that said, I think there is nothing wrong with our current unis. Some of the finest in baseball (no Sox bias, seriously.) Who knows. We have a history of bouncing all over the place with them anyway, why not keep up with our "history"?

PhillipsBubba
07-30-2009, 10:10 AM
http://www.mitchellandness.com/images/products/medium/WS59H02_W.jpg

Eddo144
07-30-2009, 10:12 AM
Some cool stuff. At least his proposals to change the current uniform (which, in my opinion, is the best or second-best (to the Dodgers) in the majors) keep the same basic style, just with color tweaks.

Personally, I abhor the all-black look, though, and I also think the SOX with the batter on top, which he loves, is possibly the worst logo in the history of the franchise (OK, that may be overstating, but seeing so many people wear it these days when it was never actually on a uniform or hat must be getting to me).

BleacherBandit
07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Damn site, none of the links work.

KenBerryGrab
07-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Damn site, none of the links work.

Right click on the links, "Open in Another Tab" and they work. Annoying, but effective.

BleacherBandit
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Right click on the links, "Open in Another Tab" and they work. Annoying, but effective.

Just figured it out. Thanks alot.

Getting back to the uniform changes, the only change I'd like to see would be white socks. None of the others appeal to me. There are already too many teams that use red as their primary color.

Andy T Clown
07-30-2009, 04:06 PM

You can also hold Ctrl and left click. It will open in a new tab.

MARTINMVP
07-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Honestly, the all black has to be the coolest look in the game, second only to maybe the Yankees or even the Dodgers or Royals. The '59 look is pretty badass, but I do live with the old mentality "good guys wear black."

You want to talk about a uniform makeover, I'd say it would be our friends on the Northside.

soxpride724
07-31-2009, 08:47 AM
The White Sox have changed uniforms more than any other team in the majors. I fell that they finally have a uniform that "works", and I am happy with what they have. I don't see the need to change.

downstairs
07-31-2009, 09:08 AM
Here's the way I see it. The Sox should consider changing uniforms only once they hit a 5-6 year slump. These uniforms define one of the most- if not most- successful eras in Sox history.

I consider 1990-2008 to be one era, as we've had a winning season and been in contention almost every year.

I know you can break it into two "eras" if you wish, and start this one in 2000. Either way- this era right now- which includes divisions championships and a ring- will always be defined by this uniform.

Red Barchetta
07-31-2009, 10:06 AM
I think they should keep these uniforms until they move into Comiskey III which will be located in the south loop sometime in the next 25 years after the Cell is considered old and obsolete and they threaten to move to Cuba in the event they do not get a new ballpark. The new ballpark will be a modern version of the original Comiskey park and to celebrate the new "old", the SOX will re-introduce the 1959 Black/Red Trim Go Go Sox uniforms. :D:

esbrechtel
07-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Powder red is the worst idea ever....taking the field in pink uniforms would be worse than the shorts. I do however really like the all black look, I also wonder how the white tops would look with black pants and white socks? On second thought that may also look a little too "softball"

pearso66
07-31-2009, 10:11 AM
Some of the ideas they had were all right, but if you read it, they say the reason the Sox need to change, is not because they have bad uniforms, he calls them the 2nd best uniform in baseball, but because they have changed a lot, they need to change again to keep up with history.

BleacherBandit
07-31-2009, 10:21 AM
I don't know how uniform enthusiasts can keep a straight face when they say that the Sox have set a precident for changing uniforms every five to six years and by it now need to change these uniforms we have now. Maybe management changed uniforms often because it took a few years to realize the ones the Sox were wearing were hideous. Who cares about the precident? Why does that mean we have to honor it? If the Cardinals had our history of changing uniforms and finally met the ones they wear now, would the sports media give as much crap to them as they do to us? This is a classic uniform, and I never want to see another one worn by a Sox player.

SephClone89
07-31-2009, 10:40 AM
I think it's a shame they're not wearing the '59 unis every Sunday home game this season, they way they wore the 1901 throwbacks in 2001.

There is waaaay too much of a fascination with the Winning Ugly 80s uniforms. You see that colour scheme and logo way too much on shirts and caps, both at the game and on the street. It's a terrible uniform. Maybe it's just because I was born in '89...I just don't see any appeal or nostalgia with those unis. Give me any of them from the 50s or 60s anyday! (my new Go-Go cap from American Needle is one of my prized possessions now!)

g0g0
07-31-2009, 12:50 PM

I like it! But I would add a stripe or white belt to break it up a little.

Jim Shorts
07-31-2009, 01:14 PM
I know I'm in the minority here, but I loved the sleeveless home uni's. IMO, those and using the 59 uni's more are the only things the Sox should do uniwise.