PDA

View Full Version : Pre Trade Deadline Poll Thread...

voodoochile
07-30-2009, 12:26 AM
What should the Sox do before the trade deadline?

chisoxfanatic
07-30-2009, 12:34 AM
This division is way too tight to give up on it.

JB98
07-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Sell and bring up the kids? Like who? They don't have anyone else who is ready to be brought up.

Whatever is out there that can make the team better, do it.

Boondock Saint
07-30-2009, 12:36 AM
The Sox need help for this year, but not if it's going to cost top prospects. Just get good enough to get to the playoffs.

WhiteSox1989
Sell and bring up the kids? Like who? They don't have anyone else who is ready to be brought up.

Whatever is out there that can make the team better, do it.
This.

And who would even want to bring up the "kids" in this division? It is still likely the Sox will win the division.

GoGoCrede
If it's the right deal, buy. This division is far from decided. Make us proud, Kenny!

CWSpalehoseCWS
07-30-2009, 01:02 AM
This division is way too tight to give up on it.

Exactly what I think.

There isn't any reason to give up yet. It seems like the Sox only need that 1 guy to turn things around, whether it be an arm or bat.

Baron
07-30-2009, 01:04 AM
Exactly what I think.

There isn't any reason to give up yet. It seems like the Sox only need that 1 guy to turn things around, whether it be an arm or bat.

Pretty much sums up what I think.Except I think we need both a bat and a arm.:D:

oeo
07-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Sit tight, pick up a bullpen arm if you can.

This team can win the division, as is. They just need to get past their worst enemy: the White Sox. Stop beating yourself! This whole damn road trip wasn't the Tigers or Twins, it was the White Sox playing horse**** baseball, especially in the field. If they stop giving away games, things should fall into place.

Noneck
07-30-2009, 02:05 AM
I would love to sell high and get return for Dye, Dotel etc. but they won't get beans for them. So I will pass.

Sell to save salary? Then what? Wheres that money going to go? In the piggybank for the rainy day that never really pours enough to use it? No thanks.

Sit on a crap hand and hope that everyone else hand is crappier? No thanks.

Give up some of those "can't miss" prospects that just suddenly became cant miss in the last couple months, for some proven players that may make this team interesting in the last 2 months. That's my choice.

MarkZ35
07-30-2009, 02:16 AM
It's their division to lose. One key acquisition should put them over the top to win the division but I still think they could do it with the team they have now. It's looking like 85-88 wins may win this division and there is no reason the Sox can't get that.

Get to the playoffs and you don't need a 5 man rotation which would suit the Sox well this year. They would go with MB, Gavin, and Danks. Respectable 1,2,3.

SoxSpeed22
07-30-2009, 02:25 AM
Buy whatever you can, without giving up any future. This division is too close to give up on. The problem is that this team is not capable of winning a world series, so we have to maintain our long-term interests.

whitesoxfan
07-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Gotta go for it. If we stand pat, it's going to be more of the same the final two months of the season.

We're not that far off at all from being a team that can contend for it all. I'm not saying that due to blind homerism, but look at what we have. If we acquire a guy like Washburn to help solidify our rotation, you're looking at a starting five of Buehrle-Floyd-Danks-Washburn-Contreras/Richard. That'll do its job.

Someone like Scott Hairston would be a terrific pickup as a 4th outfielder and could give TCQ plenty of rest whenever he needs it.

DirtySox
07-30-2009, 03:05 AM
Nothing substantial. No high priced rentals. Let's not drain the farm system so we can limp into the playoffs. Try to win with what we have. We are by no means "one piece away."

SBSoxFan
07-30-2009, 06:01 AM
sit tight, pick up a bullpen arm if you can.

This team can win the division, as is. They just need to get past their worst enemy: The white sox. Stop beating yourself! This whole damn road trip wasn't the tigers or twins, it was the white sox playing horse**** baseball, especially in the field. If they stop giving away games, things should fall into first place.

:smile:

ShoelessJoeS
07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Eating as many churros as possible is a win-win situation, IMO.

voodoochile
07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
I'd like the folks who voted "sell" to explain what the benefits are and how they'd get around the inevitable media backlash. I'd especially love to hear from Lip who (IIRC) hammered the previous white flag trade in past posts (though it's been several years since anyone had reason to discuss it).

Is anyone who thinks this team can catch Detroit crazy? :dunno:

spawn
07-30-2009, 09:36 AM

This team can win the division, as is. They just need to get past their worst enemy: the White Sox. Stop beating yourself! This whole damn road trip wasn't the Tigers or Twins, it was the White Sox playing horse**** baseball, especially in the field. If they stop giving away games, things should fall into place.
I agree completely. they should've taken 3 out of the 4 games in Detroit, but the bullpen blows that. They should've taken 2 of 3 in Minny, but the defense let's them down. What should've been a 5-2 roadtrip ends up being a 1-6 trip. Hawk is right. The White Sox are their own worst enemy.

CLR01
07-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Sox should trade for BA.

kittle42
07-30-2009, 09:40 AM
I voted buy, but I'd bet they stand pat.

ChicagoHoosier
07-30-2009, 09:42 AM
Just don't trade a top prospect. Our team is good enough to win this awful division. I'd hate to give up Flowers or Poreda or a potential stud in our organization for a rental player just for the right to get swept by the Yankees in October. But if a solid piece can be added creatively for cheap, I'm all for it.

palehozenychicty
07-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm sure that they can find a solid bench player and another bullpen arm. If not, that's okay too. They have enough to squeak into the postseason, if they could just field and hit more consistently. I'm not sure the consistency will come.

ms620
07-30-2009, 09:47 AM
I'd like the folks who voted "sell" to explain what the benefits are and how they'd get around the inevitable media backlash. I'd especially love to hear from Lip who (IIRC) hammered the previous white flag trade in past posts (though it's been several years since anyone had reason to discuss it).

Is anyone who thinks this team can catch Detroit crazy? :dunno:

First of all, KW cannot worry about the media backlash. If fans stop supporting the sox bc they make a trade than thats sad. And even though it might happen, all it takes is a winning team to get them back. Second, the sox have a chance to build a very good team for many years. If you can find some young players who might help round out the squad than you take a chance on them. Jermaine is 35 years old. It is not ridiculous to think that his performance will no be the same in a couple years. If you can get a couple guys who might be with the sox for the next 10 years, wouldnt you want that? Obviously most prospects do not pan out. But sometimes it is worth the risk.

voodoochile
07-30-2009, 09:48 AM
I voted buy, but I'd bet they stand pat.

I do too. I almost voted it because I figured that's what they'd do, but I figured I'd vote like a fan and hope for some help. :D:

NLaloosh
07-30-2009, 09:58 AM
1. This is a classic .500 team. It's a waste to give up top prospects to marginally improve this team.

2. This team is so flawed that even adding Roy Halladay without subtracting anyone off the roster wouldn't be enough to get this team to the World Series.

3. With the remaining schedule that the Sox have their only hope for the playoffs would be a collapse by both the Twins and Tigers - doubtful.

4. Who would the Sox unload ? Contreras ? Dotel ? Those are the only two that I can think of that might bring a decent return and won't be critically missed for this season.

Cuck the Fubs
07-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Whatever can help us...DO IT!

whitesoxfan
07-30-2009, 03:37 PM
1. This is a classic .500 team. It's a waste to give up top prospects to marginally improve this team.

2. This team is so flawed that even adding Roy Halladay without subtracting anyone off the roster wouldn't be enough to get this team to the World Series.

3. With the remaining schedule that the Sox have their only hope for the playoffs would be a collapse by both the Twins and Tigers - doubtful.

4. Who would the Sox unload ? Contreras ? Dotel ? Those are the only two that I can think of that might bring a decent return and won't be critically missed for this season.

We're out of first by 3 games and the Tigers and Twins aren't going to run away from us. To say it would take a collapse by both of those teams is completely false.

soxfanreggie
07-30-2009, 03:41 PM
We should also evaluate it from the aspect of "How long will the player be here?" If we can add someone who would be on the team for a few years, then it's a lot better than a rent-a-player. We're going to have several areas to address for next season, so if the person can help us this season and in the future, that would be a good get.

Konerko05
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Sox should trade for BA.

http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4364820&name=levine

Hmm... this article does say Williams is seeking a top-flight defensive outfielder for the pennant race.

JB98
07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
http://espn.go.com/chicago/columns/blog?post=4364820&name=levine

Hmm... this article does say Williams is seeking a top-flight defensive outfielder for the pennant race.

Hopefully, we can get one that can not only play defense, but hold his own at the plate against good pitchers.

I would love to see an outfield upgrade.

Konerko05
07-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Hopefully, we can get one that can not only play defense, but hold his own at the plate against good pitchers.

I would love to see an outfield upgrade.

Well that article mentions Felix Pie. Right now he hits just as bad as BA without the occasional power.

JB98
07-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Well that article mentions Felix Pie. Right now he hits just as bad as BA without the occasional power.

Yeah, we've been over that one in the WTS thread. If KW acquires Pie, I will just kind of shrug my shoulders.

ike from nj
07-30-2009, 03:55 PM
I agree completely. they should've taken 3 out of the 4 games in Detroit, but the bullpen blows that. They should've taken 2 of 3 in Minny, but the defense let's them down. What should've been a 5-2 roadtrip ends up being a 1-6 trip. Hawk is right. The White Sox are their own worst enemy.
isn't losing games you should win the mark of mediocrity

whitesoxfan
07-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Pie is a younger DeWayne Wise. We have no use for him.

downstairs
07-30-2009, 05:20 PM
I'd love to just go for it, but I think the reality is we're a .500 team. I've said that all year. We're a .500 team. If we get lucky and end up 5 games over .500, we may very well win the division.

But we'd be going into the playoffs as a .500 team.

My feeling now is just keep the team as-is, and let the cards fall where they may. If we make the playoffs, great. It'll be fun.

Then, build for next year.

Domeshot17
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM

I Disagree. You would be right if this was a rarity, but it isn't. The Sox have been a poor fielding and poor fundamentals team all year. It isn't like all of the sudden Alexei is going to start being a better SS (if healthy) or Getz is going to be more consistent at the plate or in the field. I would be buying very hard for a 3b or 2b with the idea you get the best one you can, and move Beckham to either spot. Possibly need to look at getting a solid hitting OF as well as Quentin hasn't shown a ton since he came back from his injury. 1 RBI in 35 at bats, a 570 OPS, maybe we get someone who can hit and sit him for the season if he isn't healthy.

PhillipsBubba
07-30-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't think KW has confidence in this team regardless of moves available to him.

He's obviously hamstrung by the budget and certain contracts.

Looks to me we are destined to watch this moribund team, as is.

Besides there is no way they can compete in the playoffs with talented teams like Boston, Yankees, Rays and Angels.

Maybe something exciting will happen at the Winter Meetings.:(:

getonbckthr
07-30-2009, 05:58 PM
For some reason I have this gut feeling around 2:30 pm central time tommorow you will hear we acquired Dan Haren and John Garland for a package of Richards, Poreda, Flowers, Floyd, Fields and someone else. Kenny seems determined to get Haren.

soxyess
07-30-2009, 06:06 PM
For some reason I have this gut feeling around 2:30 pm central time tommorow you will hear we acquired Dan Haren and John Garland for a package of Richards, Poreda, Flowers, Floyd, Fields and someone else. Kenny seems determined to get Haren.

I think around 230 tomorrow you'll hear that there are no further moves to be made. We value are young talent and we will not mortgage the future for one year..our budget does not allow us to take on large contracts...blah..blah

Baron
07-30-2009, 06:10 PM
I think around 230 tomorrow you'll hear that there are no further moves to be made. We value are young talent and we will not mortgage the future for one year..our budget does not allow us to take on large contracts...blah..blah

thats when I will begin the drinking...

Mohoney
07-30-2009, 07:16 PM
I really only want 2 minor tweaks.

1. A backup OF that can play all 3 positions and provide a decent bat off the bench, upgrading Wise's roster spot. I don't know if anyone will be available, but I'm hoping that someone will be.

2. A LH bullpen guy so Thornton can be the 8th inning guy from now on, although I wouldn't mind if this came in-house in the form of Poreda.

I'm fine with the starting 9 and the rotation (preferably with Richard instead of Colon the rest of the way).

mccoydp
07-30-2009, 07:18 PM

Can't spend a dollar when you've only been given fifty cents. :redneck

WhiteSox1989
07-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Thinking about it, I really don't think anything is going to happen tomorrow. I hope something does.

But I just don't think Kenny's going to do much. Which is slightly disappointing.

guillensdisciple
07-30-2009, 07:45 PM
According to Ozzie nothing is going to happen, or at least everything is quite. I just heard that on sportsnite.

soxyess
07-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Thinking about it, I really don't think anything is going to happen tomorrow. I hope something does.

But I just don't think Kenny's going to do much. Which is slightly disappointing.

The problem is generating fan interest and excitement if the team continues to spiral down. If they continue along the present path and end up 7-8 games out by the middle of august fan turnout will lesson.

WhiteSox1989
07-30-2009, 07:47 PM
The problem is generating fan interest and excitement if the team continues to spiral down. If they continue along the present path and end up 7-8 games out by the middle of august fan turnout will lesson.
I'll always be interested in the Sox.

slavko
07-30-2009, 07:53 PM
According to Ozzie nothing is going to happen, or at least everything is quite. I just heard that on sportsnite.

Even at his blabbiest, this is something he wouldn't blab even if it were happening. Which it might not be, I admit.