PDA

View Full Version : My first trip to Rogers Centre

PKalltheway
07-29-2009, 08:27 PM
Well, I just got back from Toronto yesterday, and it was a fantastic city! While I was there, I went to see two Blue Jays games. I went to the first two games of the Rays/Jays series this past weekend (the Halladay game on Friday and the Rays' eight run comeback on Saturday).

First of all, the stadium. It was the seventh ballpark I have been to, and overall, I was pretty impressed with the stadium. It is nowhere near being a dump like some people say it is. It's a nice, clean stadium IMHO, and the ushers were very friendly. The hot dogs were pretty mediocre, but I can live with that.

Second of all, the fans. My original impressions of Toronto baseball fans was that they were very indifferent to the team. Well I don't know if I just went at a good time or what, but the fans didn't seem as indifferent as people make them out to be. The fans were really into the game on Friday and on Saturday, at least IMHO. In fact, I saw quite a decent amount of people wearing Jays gear walking around downtown, and this was well before and after the game.

Also, I got to witness indoor baseball for the first time on Saturday (they opened the roof during the game on Friday). Watching a game inside wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be, especially since it rained on Saturday, but watching a game outdoors is still better.

Overall, I was impressed with the ballpark, and with Blue Jays fans in general. Baseball obviously isn't the number one sport there, but from what I gathered, they are still pretty good baseball fans. They are a lot more into the game than Reds fans, which I am around on a regular basis. Considering how the Reds have been playing over the course of this decade, that doesn't take much...

g0g0
07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
That's interesting to hear because like you said I've always heard they are indifferent. I have a 9 month old son who I'll be doing the whole "30 ballparks" thing with (hopefully all Sox games!) and am looking forward to seeing a lot of other parks. Our first one was Cincy this year. Sox won!

PKalltheway
08-01-2009, 08:39 AM
That's interesting to hear because like you said I've always heard they are indifferent. I have a 9 month old son who I'll be doing the whole "30 ballparks" thing with (hopefully all Sox games!) and am looking forward to seeing a lot of other parks. Our first one was Cincy this year. Sox won!
Awesome, I went to all three of those games. Did you enjoy Great American Ballpark at all? It usually gets mixed reviews from most people.

WhiteSox1989
08-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I went to two games there when the Sox played them in May. The fans were actually pretty brutal towards me (and the Sox). However, the young guy sitting next to me was pretty cool. I went with my friend and some of her friends and the one kid was just blown away by my knowledge of the game. Said he'd love to live in Chicago just because baseball is so intense there.

Also I didn't see too many people wearing Blue Jays apparel there which was weird.

Oh, and it was hot in there.

PKalltheway
08-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Oh, and it was hot in there.
I agree, it does get kind of stuffy and hot in there when they have the roof closed.

WhiteSox1989
08-01-2009, 10:20 AM
The lady next to me turned to me in about the 6th inning and was like "It looks like your team just gave up trying huh?" I laughed.

NDSox12
08-01-2009, 10:53 AM
Fortunately, the roof was open for the game I went to back in 2003. I despise indoor baseball. It is certainly a nice enough facility, but I don't particularly care for it for baseball. The artificial surface is a big minus for me.

I didn't get much of an impression about the fans because I was there for a Yankees game. Probably half the crowd was rooting for the Yankees.

I do agree with you about Toronto though. It is a very nice city.