PDA

View Full Version : Colon Back to DL, Randy Williams contract purchased from AAA

hawkjt
07-28-2009, 10:49 PM
with pain in his elbow. Jose will start instead. Keep them off base,Jose,or they will be running us out of there.

I suspect Clayton will come back to the rotation for the Yanks.

Konerko05
07-28-2009, 10:50 PM
An old fat injury prone pitcher who has already had knee and elbow problems this season. Why are the Sox even wasting their time? Leave Richard alone.

JB98
07-28-2009, 10:51 PM
The Sox can't count on Colon for anything. They should feel lucky they got three wins out of him. He's pretty close to done, if he isn't done now.

I'm on the Richard bandwagon anyway, and have been for awhile.

TDog
07-28-2009, 10:55 PM
The Sox can't count on Colon for anything. They should feel lucky they got three wins out of him. He's pretty close to done, if he isn't done now.

I'm on the Richard bandwagon anyway, and have been for awhile.

I see Richard going back into the rotation. It might be better for all concerned if Colon goes back on the disabled list and Torres comes up as a long reliever.

JB98
07-28-2009, 10:56 PM
I see Richard going back into the rotation. It might be better for all concerned if Colon goes back on the disabled list and Torres comes up as a long reliever.

If Colon goes back on the DL, they might bring back Poreda for the sake of having a second lefty.

I don't think that's the best thing for Poreda's development, but that's the sacrifice you make if you're trying to win now.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2009, 10:57 PM
JB:

Kind of makes you wonder what they saw in Colon back in the winter no? (and Jeff Marquez etc...)

Lip

TDog
07-28-2009, 11:23 PM
If Colon goes back on the DL, they might bring back Poreda for the sake of having a second lefty.

I don't think that's the best thing for Poreda's development, but that's the sacrifice you make if you're trying to win now.

I thought about that, but I didn't see them using Poreda much while he was up.

I believe the Sox were hoping Colon would be healthy. Contreras has come back healthy but Colon has not.

As for Marquez, I think they just wanted Nick Swisher and his contract far away from the team and were willing to gamble on Marquez.

hi im skot
07-28-2009, 11:23 PM
How does one scratch their colon?

NDSox12
07-28-2009, 11:26 PM

Very carefully.

LoveYourSuit
07-28-2009, 11:27 PM
JB:

Kind of makes you wonder what they saw in Colon back in the winter no? (and Jeff Marquez etc...)

Lip

Let's just say that "lack of $$$" dictated the fiasco which was this past offseason.

For this team to even be at .500 right now is a complete miracle.

doublem23
07-28-2009, 11:29 PM
JB:

Lip

Wow, they invested $1 million into a guy, who really hasn't been that bad of a 5th starter.

Isn't there something even borderline relevant you could be complaining about?

PhillipsBubba
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
JB:

Lip

I'm a KW fan but this season has not been one of his most stellar...it's damn near embarrassing when you see good teams like St. Louis and Boston constantly working to get better.

Lip Man 1
07-28-2009, 11:33 PM
It's a million dollars less they had to spend on someone who could actually help them as Love alluded to since more and more it looks like money was the overriding issue this off season. (Never mind the Sox have averaged 2.7 million the past three years...)

Kenny took a huge gamble with his philosophy this off season...he gets the credit when his moves work, he gets the blame when they don't.

His moves this past off season aren't working and its fair that he be called to account for it.

Lip

ode to veeck
07-28-2009, 11:34 PM

eating the wrong kid of roughage: bran = ok, whole pinecones = bad

doublem23
07-28-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm a KW fan but this season has not been one of his most stellar...it's damn near embarrassing when you see good teams like St. Louis and Boston constantly working to get better.

The Cardinals gave up their best prospect for a rent-a-player whose pretty much cemented his reputation as being a bat greatly inflated by Coors Field and the Red Sox got a guy who was ****ty by Pittsburgh's standards.

:Rocker:

voodoochile
07-28-2009, 11:41 PM
The Cardinals gave up their best prospect for a rent-a-player whose pretty much cemented his reputation as being a bat greatly inflated by Coors Field and the Red Sox got a guy who was ****ty by Pittsburgh's standards.

Both of those teams probably have a LOT more money to spend than the Sox do at present also. Talk about two recession proof franchises.

hawkjt
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM
If Richard keeps pitching well, the rotation is solid. Freddy is in reserve, as is Torres....the rotation is the least of our worries right now.

WhiteSox1989
07-28-2009, 11:43 PM
I just don't trust Richard.

Well, actually out of our rotation I only have full confidence in Buehrle.

chisoxfanatic
07-28-2009, 11:44 PM
I just don't trust Richard.

Well, actually out of our rotation I only have full confidence in Buehrle.
He's pitched gutsy the last couple of outings. Richard seems to pitch better on a short leash.

Ranger
07-28-2009, 11:53 PM
Let's just say that "lack of $$$" dictated the fiasco which was this past offseason.

For this team to even be at .500 right now is a complete miracle.

It's actually not a miracle at all. This team, as constructed within the context of the American League Central, is about where it should be. And the offseason may not have been a massive success, but it certainly wasn't a "fiasco". They dumped 2 contracts they didn't want (including a player that 90% of people on this board wanted to run out of town) while picking up a couple of promising prospects.

I thinking you may be flirting with absolutes a bit too much here.

BleacherBandit
07-29-2009, 12:06 AM
I say you send him down and bring either Poreda or Torres in for Richard's spot in the pen, because he's going back in the rotation in this scenario.

Who was Poreda sent down to make room for anyways?

shingo10
07-29-2009, 12:10 AM
It's actually not a miracle at all. This team, as constructed within the context of the American League Central, is about where it should be. And the offseason may not have been a massive success, but it certainly wasn't a "fiasco". They dumped 2 contracts they didn't want (including a player that 90% of people on this board wanted to run out of town) while picking up a couple of promising prospects.

I agree completely. I guarantee there isn't one person here who could do or have done a better job than Kenny Williams has done with the Sox since he's taken over. It's not to say he hasn't had things blow up in his face, but when the team is 2 games back at the end of July then everyone should calm down.

Yes yes, it's a weak division. But if the Sox get in, they have solid starting pitching that could carry them through the postseason, not to mention an offense that while inconsistent can still put some points on the board. If they get hot at the right time they can make a run at it.

Signing a guy to a $1 million dollar contract who gave you a decent first half (not great by any means) is what people are complaining about? I'm just glad Kenny does things his way.

chisoxfanatic
07-29-2009, 12:11 AM
Who was Poreda sent down to make room for anyways?
Torres

asindc
07-29-2009, 08:21 AM
JB:

Lip

They saw a guy who pitches well when healthy. It was a calculated risk. No one, especially Sox management, is shocked that he has had problems staying healthy, but the management deemed it a risk worth taking given the team's budget this year. Now if you don't mind the Sox spending $12 million a year on a 5th starter, that's another thing.

Chez
07-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Did the Sox give Bartolo a 1 or 2 year deal?

kevingrt
07-29-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm hoping Clayton just jumps in for Friday's game and the rest of the rotation stays on their regular four days of rest. I really liked the way Floyd, Buehrle, and Danks (albeit one start) have performed recently. And I do not believe Clayton warmed up yesterday so he should be fine to go on Friday. And I don't think Gavin should have any problem going on regular rest starting Thursday.

So just go...

Jose today
Gavin 7/30 vs Yanks
Clayton 7/31 vs Yanks
Danks 8/1 vs Yanks
Buehrle 8/2 vs Yanks

Then we have a nice day off and Ozzie can maybe tweak some things and get some starters more rest or keep everyone on a regular four/five days rest.

TomBradley72
07-29-2009, 10:11 AM

I think this is one of his best, other than 2005....a good group of young/cheap players (TCQ,Beckham, TCM, Getz, Danks, Floyd, Richard) that we can build around, + more prospects in the minors (Poreda, Flowers, Viciedo, Danks, etc.) than we've had in a long time. Luckily we're in a mediocre division, so we're still in the hunt, but I like the job KW is doing.

chisox12
07-29-2009, 12:11 PM
They need to get rid of this slob already. Put Richard in the rotation and bring Poreda up to be the second lefty out of the pen.

Huisj
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Who is Randy Williams? Some old dude apparently. ESPN says he's the new callup with Colon going on the DL.

PhillipsBubba
07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Dislocated fat cells?????????

Yeah...he'll be a major contributor to this pennant run...

http://raksnewenglandsportsblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/barto.jpg

JB98
07-29-2009, 01:50 PM
Who is Randy Williams? Some old dude apparently. ESPN says he's the new callup with Colon going on the DL.

Williams is a journeyman. He was in spring training with the Sox and showed enough to stay with the organization.

He won't be great, but hopefully he can eat some innings here or there and get a lefty out every now and then.

hi im skot
07-29-2009, 01:53 PM
dislocated fat cells?????????

microsoft paint ftw!

LoveYourSuit
07-29-2009, 02:07 PM

Ranger,

You could also look at it the other way and say had the Sox just pumped a bit of that saved money back into this year's squad (ie. O Hudson + a legit pitcher), this entire division would be on our rear view mirror right now. We would be making post season plans right now rather than being worried about a bunch of the nonenese we have been fighting about (BA, Wise, Fields, Richard, Colon, etc).

GoGoCrede
07-29-2009, 02:08 PM

That joke never gets old.

PhillipsBubba
07-29-2009, 02:12 PM

What a frickin' joke...33 years old...maybe he'll work out as well as career minor leaguer Dewayne (Don't Call Me Weiss) wise.

akingamongstmen
07-29-2009, 02:17 PM
What a frickin' joke...33 years old...maybe he'll work out as well as career minor leaguer Dewayne (Don't Call Me Weiss) wise.

It doesn't matter who we called up. If we're counting on the last man on the pitching staff for anything but mop-up work, we're in trouble. Besides, calling up Poreda as many have suggested is a tremendous waste of his talent. Leave him alone as he develops his control and he'll be much more valuable in the future.

voodoochile
07-29-2009, 02:20 PM
It doesn't matter who we called up. If we're counting on the last man on the pitching staff for anything but mop-up work, we're in trouble. Besides, calling up Poreda as many have suggested is a tremendous waste of his talent. Leave him alone as he develops his control and he'll be much more valuable in the future.

I thought both Poreda and Torres had to stay in the minors for 2 weeks after being sent down. It hasn't been that long.

Can someone who understands these intricacies, please tell me if I'm right and if not, what the rules actually are.

Red Barchetta
07-29-2009, 02:28 PM
An old fat injury prone pitcher who has already had knee and elbow problems this season. Why are the Sox even wasting their time? Leave Richard alone.

I agree. Time to flat out release Colon.

whitesoxfan
07-29-2009, 02:34 PM
I thought both Poreda and Torres had to stay in the minors for 2 weeks after being sent down. It hasn't been that long.

Can someone who understands these intricacies, please tell me if I'm right and if not, what the rules actually are.

I don't think that's right. I think you're free to call up guys and send them down as much as you want once they are called up or sent down the first time in the season.

I really don't want Poreda up here as a mopup guy. He's young. Let him get his work as a starter in the minors and go from there. I don't really have a problem with calling a journeyman up to be a mopup guy.

DSpivack
07-29-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't think that's right. I think you're free to call up guys and send them down as much as you want once they are called up or sent down the first time in the season.

I really don't want Poreda up here as a mopup guy. He's young. Let him get his work as a starter in the minors and go from there. I don't really have a problem with calling a journeyman up to be a mopup guy.

You do have to wait 10 days, except in the case of injury.

spawn
07-29-2009, 02:48 PM

Ooh, look, another Colon fat joke. How original.

Metalthrasher442
07-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Man with Clayton in the rotation and this Williams guy in the pen. Our bullpen sure is getting thin.

At the beginning of the season this pen looked so strong.

I wonder how many more blown saves Jenks needs to get to start being the center of the fat jokes.

hi im skot
07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I wonder how many more blown saves Jenks needs to get to start being the center of the fat jokes.

You weren't around this weekend, eh?

LITTLE NELL
07-29-2009, 02:53 PM
A waste of time and money. When we signed him and guys like Betemit and Lilibridge I figured KW was thinking this team was'nt going to contend. Now that we have a shot at the division, its time to DFA Colon and make a move or 2 to help us down the stretch.

KMcMahon817
07-29-2009, 03:09 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090729&content_id=6127520&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

kittle42
07-29-2009, 03:10 PM
I wonder if he'll run away again, or is that just when he's sent to the minors?

DumpJerry
07-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Who in the Heck is Randy Williams? Is he a cross between The Big Unit and Wild Thing?

Too bad KW squandered Gio Gonzalez......

Harry Potter
07-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Keeps Richard in the rotation and puts a second lefty arm in the bullpen

russ99
07-29-2009, 03:18 PM
Uh, Kenny... the trade deadline is Friday.

Last time I looked we have a streaky Richard and a 36+ year old Contreras who's not looked good recently in the back of our rotation...

LoveYourSuit
07-29-2009, 03:40 PM
With all the minor league contracts purchased so far this season....

http://www.philadelphiacondoloft.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/foreclosure-sign7.jpg

voodoochile
07-29-2009, 03:45 PM
With all the minor league contracts purchased so far this season....

http://www.philadelphiacondoloft.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/foreclosure-sign7.jpg

That's trolling, got it?

gobears1987
07-29-2009, 03:46 PM
*insert fat joke here*

At least we have Richard and Torres. I'd like to see Torres throw again, but Richard has earned a spot in the rotation the last few weeks.

LoveYourSuit
07-29-2009, 03:56 PM
That's trolling, got it?

It was an inside joke: Sox crying poor and buying up all these contracts.....

Anyway, my bad if it was seen as trolling.

PaleHoser
07-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Randy Williams = Jimmy Gobble 2.0.

I think Williams will be gone as soon as Thornton gets back from a few days home with his newborn or July 31st, whichever comes first.

If this move was meant to be more long-term they would have brought Poreda back up.

DickAllen72
07-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Randy Williams = Jimmy Gobble 2.0.

I think Williams will be gone as soon as Thornton gets back from a few days home with his newborn or July 31st, whichever comes first.

If this move was meant to be more long-term they would have brought Poreda back up.
Thornton is already back from what I've heard. Williams is the second lefty in the pen.

Poreda needs to pitch more, that's why he's in AAA.

PhillipsBubba
07-29-2009, 04:28 PM

Just curious...why would you add somebody (Williams) to your staff in which you have no confidence and from whom you expect little???

I'm askin... :scratch:

Tragg
07-29-2009, 04:32 PM

I agree - I particularly haven't been impressed by the Cardinals. Even mark Derosa - people act like he's an all star.

Who is Randy Williams and why him instead of the guy who started for us last week and did a nice job?

BleacherBandit
07-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Never heard of this guy. Why not just call back up Torres to give him an extra shot.

Pear-Zin-Ski
07-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Very carefully.

or else you end up with pain in your elbow!

voodoochile
07-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Never heard of this guy. Why not just call back up Torres to give him an extra shot.

Someone mentioned it's a 10 day period between getting sent down and being recalled. It's only been 7.

DickAllen72
07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Someone mentioned it's a 10 day period between getting sent down and being recalled. It's only been 7.
You can call someone back up in less than 10 days if it's to replace someone going on the DL.

fuzzy_patters
07-29-2009, 04:44 PM

I believe the ten day period is waived if there is an injury, which there is to Colon. My guess is that Williams is being called up because he is left-handed. He is replacing Clayton Richard, who is replacing Colon. They probably wanted Poreda to be able to start in the minors rather than relieve in the majors.

KenBerryGrab
07-29-2009, 04:45 PM
And Thornton probably isn't back yet. They had no lefty in the pen last night.

voodoochile
07-29-2009, 04:47 PM
And Thornton probably isn't back yet. They had no lefty in the pen last night.

Someone said he was already back with the team.

Here's a link to Williams' stats this year. He's having a decent season with a low WHIP and few walks.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=30&f=17

anewman35
07-29-2009, 07:59 PM

I really hope the day never comes when the Sox call up guys based on if you have heard of them or not.

thomas35forever
07-29-2009, 08:07 PM
I haven't read the whole thread and sorry if this was brought up already, but I think it's time for the Sox to release Colon. We only signed him for one year anyway. Yeah, he had an impressive '03 for us, but he's practically been a flop this season. Time to move on.

Konerko05
07-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I know they wanted to bring up a lefty this time, but is Adam Russell going to get another chance?

I thought he was decent up here last year, and he's doing pretty well in Charlotte this season.

IP: 55.1
H: 37
ERA: 3.09
WHIP: 0.96
SO/9: 8
SO/BB: 3.06

AnkleSox
07-29-2009, 09:02 PM
I agree. Time to flat out release Colon.

This made me chuckle.